PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Games Often Not Broadcasted

nug0hs
05-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I dont know how many of you care, but seeing as I go to school in Michigan a lot of people have been in a fuss lately about many Tigers games not being broadcast on tv. I dont know very much about tv and the whole system of who gets the rights to the games, but this seems very odd. The Sox typically have a maximium of 2 games the entire season that are not shown on tv at all. So far this season there have been at least 3-5 games not broadcast anywhere in the state on television and there are 18 no-broadcasts remaining including 9 (!) in September alone. Take today for example...the Tigers are usually on Fox Sports Net Detroit (which is accessible via cable throughout the entire state) but they are showing the girl's high school volleyball tournament right now instead of the Tigs/Royals game. How can a team or the MLB let something like this slide? Granted every game is broadcast on the radio, those waves can only reach so far and fans in the immediate metro Detroit area are able to listen. Since the Tigers are in such a good battle with us for the Central I have tried to watch every game lately (even if its just having the TV on mute and glancing over occasionally) since I am about equal distance between Detroit and Chicago. Does anyone know why a team wouldnt have every game braodcast? This seems like a really crappy way to treat your fans.

HotelWhiteSox
05-25-2006, 01:34 PM
That sucks, there is one this year (and 1 last year) for the Sox and we all get mad about that (It would be 0 if it wasn't for FOX having Saturday rights and how early Minny has to play because the football team needs the stadium later), but shouldn't be any rules blocking the Tigers today

Fenway
05-25-2006, 01:38 PM
part of the reason was FOX SPORTS DETROIT expected a long Red Wings run ( oops )

plus their ratings the past few years were awful.

A's don't televise a lot of games as well.

jdm2662
05-25-2006, 01:41 PM
part of the reason was FOX SPORTS DETROIT expected a long Red Wings run ( oops )

plus their ratings the past few years were awful.

A's don't televise a lot of games as well.

Wouldn't it make sense to add games since they are the best team in baseball? Hell, the Fire have added telecasts when they are playing well, and they can't be shown unless Comcast has an open night...

Fenway
05-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to add games since they are the best team in baseball? Hell, the Fire have added telecasts when they are playing well, and they can't be shown unless Comcast has an open night...

It should make sense, but

I understand that the Tigers owner is looking into starting his own channel for the Wings and Tigers so Fox may not care.

kraut83
05-25-2006, 01:45 PM
It seems that if the game isn't on FSN, then they're usually on the crappy UPN station out of the D. Unless it conflicts with Moeshia reruns. I don't know if you guys get the station over there or not.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-25-2006, 01:53 PM
IIRC it was the same way when I lived in Milwaukee. I don't remember exactly how many they didn't show; a friend of mine was suprised when I said that usually all of the White Sox games are on the air (with the occasional exception).

elrod
05-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Can you watch the games on MLB.TV in Kalamazoo when they aren't broadcast on Tigers TV? The Tigers-Royals game right now is on MLB.TV with the Royals radiocast and a cheap behind-the-plate video.

nug0hs
05-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Can you watch the games on MLB.TV in Kalamazoo when they aren't broadcast on Tigers TV? The Tigers-Royals game right now is on MLB.TV with the Royals radiocast and a cheap behind-the-plate video.

Nope. For some reason they determined we are too close to Detroit (my apartment is almost exactly 150 miles from Comerica) and black us out on MLB.tv. Doesnt quite make sense.

Huisj
05-25-2006, 02:32 PM
For the last how ever many years, most games were on Fox Sports Detroit, and then many of the ones that weren't were on Channel 50 out of Detroit (kind of similar to how Sox games are usually on Comcast but sometimes on WGN), and they were broadcast on other local affiliates all over the state. That contract with Channel 50 was over after last year, and the rumor has been that they and a few other stations were bidding with the Tigers over who would get the new TV deal for those games, but Mike Illitch let the offers sit on the table until it was too late, and thus none of those games are on TV. I think Fox Sports is only doing about 110 of their games, and the rest have no coverage.

And to answer the MLB.TV question, if it still works like last year, then no, you can NOT watch the games on MLB.TV even when they are not televised. This happened to me last year when I was living in Grand Rapids The sox were playing a series in Detroit, but only one of the games were being televised on Fox Sports. I tried to watch them on MLB.TV, and they were blacked out because I was in the Tigers' local coverage area. I called and complained and asked them what exactly it was that they were "blacking out" since there was no broadcast anyway, but they wouldn't budge with it and said there was nothing they could do because it was Detroit's decision to do that.

EDIT: I wonder if this big start for the Tigers has them scrambling to try to find some sort of TV deal to cover all the late season games that aren't currently scheduled to be televised. It would be a HUGE blunder to suddenly not televise half their games if they are in the midst of a playoff race.

elrod
05-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm moving to Albion, MI in about four weeks so I'll probably have to deal with this problem head on.

But according to the schedule, the only Tigers games not televised are weekday day games.

Tigerslover
05-25-2006, 05:37 PM
For the last how ever many years, most games were on Fox Sports Detroit, and then many of the ones that weren't were on Channel 50 out of Detroit (kind of similar to how Sox games are usually on Comcast but sometimes on WGN), and they were broadcast on other local affiliates all over the state. That contract with Channel 50 was over after last year, and the rumor has been that they and a few other stations were bidding with the Tigers over who would get the new TV deal for those games, but Mike Illitch let the offers sit on the table until it was too late, and thus none of those games are on TV. I think Fox Sports is only doing about 110 of their games, and the rest have no coverage.

Actually we cut a deal with another affliate WB20, and beginning next month, they will be showing the games not on FSN. So we won't have as many non-televised games the rest of the year. In fact our entire 10 game homestand coming up will be televised.

Malgar 12
05-25-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm moving to Albion, MI in about four weeks so I'll probably have to deal with this problem head on.

But according to the schedule, the only Tigers games not televised are weekday day games.
Why are you moving to Albion? Other than the College there is nothing there. Look to live in Marshall if you can afford it.

skobabe8
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
I couldnt imagine games not being televised. I can handle 1 or maybe 2, but

Huisj
05-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Actually we cut a deal with another affliate WB20, and beginning next month, they will be showing the games not on FSN. So we won't have as many non-televised games the rest of the year. In fact our entire 10 game homestand coming up will be televised.

Really? That's interesting. I wonder if other local stations around the state like in Lansing and GR will pick up these broadcasts like they used to do.

DSpivack
05-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Why are you moving to Albion? Other than the College there is nothing there. Look to live in Marshall if you can afford it.

My cousin just graduated from there.

elrod
05-26-2006, 01:07 AM

I'm teaching at Albion College there next year. We got a decent house just a block from campus.

twentywontowin
05-26-2006, 02:00 AM
I couldnt imagine games not being televised. I can handle 1 or maybe 2, but

Welcome to the world of Blackhawks fans. :(

Sox-on-TV44
05-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Yep,Detroit loves it's baseball!

Malgar 12
05-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm teaching at Albion College there next year. We got a decent house just a block from campus.

Really, what are you going to be teaching? I was the Assistant SID there two years ago.

chaerulez
05-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Do the Sox actually have a scheduled non broadcasts? I only recall it when they have no choice play a certain day but MLB prevents them from showing the game. Such as Fox not letting them on the air and being forced to still play during their no air time because of football in Minny as a previous poster pointed out.