PDA

View Full Version : Sean Salsberry Chicago Tribune Live!

Lip Man 1
05-25-2006, 12:09 PM
I didn't see this anywhere so I thought I'd summerize.

Sean Salsberry who works for ESPN and co-hosts a radio show on WMVP radio made his first appearance on Chicago Tribune Live! yesterday. He really comes across well...animated and surprisingly knowledgable about sports other then the NFL.

Host Pat Boyle immediately asked him if ESPN had an East Coast bias.

To his credit, Salsberry didn't flinch. 'Absolutely,' he said.

Then he said that 'if you don't play for the Red Sox or the Yankees you don't get the same amount of coverage.' And he said that the White Sox aren't the first team to get ignored. He mentioned the Angels in 2002 not getting their due when they won the World Series.

David Haugh of the Tribune said the Sox use this as motivation. Salsberry said that Ozzie certainly does and lets the players know about it.

All agreed that it's good the Sox are being pushed by Detroit. Haugh still isn't sure Detroit is for real. Salsberry said the Sox 'proved they're for real by what they went through last season, Detroit hasn't done that yet.'

Lip

samram
05-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Salisbury is a USC guy, so he isn't quite as connected with the ESPN East Coast propoganda machine as some others are.

McCuddy
05-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I have to admit - I've been pleasantly surprised by Salisbury so far. Now, if we can just get him to remember that it's not "Cellular Field"...

SOecks
05-25-2006, 02:44 PM
I have to admit - I've been pleasantly surprised by Salisbury so far. Now, if we can just get him to remember that it's not "Cellular Field"...

It's better than calling the stadium "ChiSox" as he did in the first week. At least he's getting closer...

beckett21
05-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Salisbury is one of the few ESPN analysts that I have always liked. I was surprised that he was coming here, actually.

elrod
05-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Did he and Rosenbloom permanently replace Silvy and Carmen?

skobabe8
05-26-2006, 09:31 AM

Ditto. He hasnt been brainwashed by the local media and calls things as he sees them. I've heard him bash the local media's coverage of the 2 teams and bash some local mediots for defending Barrett's punch.

chaerulez
05-26-2006, 09:36 AM

Didn't Rosenbloom used to have a show with the Score?

jdm2662
05-26-2006, 09:41 AM

Yes, Silverman and Carmen are on nights now.

jdm2662
05-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Didn't Rosenbloom used to have a show with the Score?

He had one on Saturday mornings for quite some time. I think he left last summer.

WS in 05
05-26-2006, 09:57 AM
I believe he was at the sox cubs game saturday or else it was a guy that looked real similair..... we kept yelling at him but he got kind of annoyied

Hitmen77
05-26-2006, 10:20 AM
I didn't see this anywhere so I thought I'd summerize.

Sean Salsberry who works for ESPN and co-hosts a radio show on WMVP radio made his first appearance on Chicago Tribune Live! yesterday. He really comes across well...animated and surprisingly knowledgable about sports other then the NFL.

Host Pat Boyle immediately asked him if ESPN had an East Coast bias.

To his credit, Salsberry didn't flinch. 'Absolutely,' he said.

Then he said that 'if you don't play for the Red Sox or the Yankees you don't get the same amount of coverage.' And he said that the White Sox aren't the first team to get ignored. He mentioned the Angels in 2002 not getting their due when they won the World Series.

David Haugh of the Tribune said the Sox use this as motivation. Salsberry said that Ozzie certainly does and lets the players know about it.

All agreed that it's good the Sox are being pushed by Detroit. Haugh still isn't sure Detroit is for real. Salsberry said the Sox 'proved they're for real by what they went through last season, Detroit hasn't done that yet.'

Lip

I was most interested in this discussion. I believe they said that if the Sox were able to just coast to the Central title without any challenge, then they'd find it more difficult to be sharp and battle-tested for the playoffs.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Salisbury comes off much more polished and well-read regarding both teams than I expected. On behalf of SOX fans, I want to apologize to him for the rude behavior of SOX fans on the RF concourse during sundays game.

A couple of drunkard Sheep fans were talking about him and his wife (they were a few seats over) and SOX fans were catcalling the Sheep fans when the Sheep said something along the lines of "at least Salisbury is a Cubs fan"
to which the SOX fans started pestering Salisbury the rest of the game.
I wasnt aware of Salisbury being a Cub fan.

Sorry Sean, looks like the Sheep were instigating (Their fanbase/players do this fairly often) something and the nimrod SOX fans took the bait