PDA

View Full Version : Sox - Jays pitching matchups

Baby Fisk
05-25-2006, 11:47 AM
My salivation is nearly lupine. :drool:

Friday: Garcia vs. LHP Ted Lilly (4-4, 4.15, career mediocrity)
Saturday: Contreras vs. RHP Casey Jansen (3-3, 3.46, rookie filling injured Burnett's spot)
Sunday: Garland vs. RHP Ty Taubenheim (0-1, 4.50, second career start, filling injured Chacin's spot)

Also, the Jays middle infield is in disarray. They were hoping that SS Russ Adams and 2B Aaron Hill would form a solid duo, but neither has been hitting as well as hoped. Adams has gone into a fielding slump as well, developing a mental block on throws to 1B (a Chuck Knoblauch kind of thing). It's become so bad that he was sent down last night. Mediocre SS John Macdonald will likely fill that spot this weekend unless they want to call up someone from the minors to give it a shot against the world champions.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Embarrassing Canada will be in style tonight.

Baby Fisk
05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Except in Edmonton.

Chez
05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
I saw that Taubenheim threw in relief last night. Will Chacin be back for Sunday's game? Is there another option for the Jays? One that isn't Halliday (hopefully)?

batmanZoSo
05-25-2006, 11:52 AM

Saturday: Contreras vs. RHP Casey Jansen (3-3, 3.46, rookie filling injured Burnett's spot)
Sunday: Garland vs. RHP Ty Taubenheim (0-1, 4.50, second career start, filling injured Chacin's spot)

Also, the Jays middle infield is in disarray. They were hoping that SS Russ Adams and 2B Aaron Hill would form a solid duo, but neither has been hitting as well as hoped. Adams has gone into a fielding slump as well, developing a mental block on throws to 1B (a Chuck Knoblauch kind of thing). It's become so bad that he was sent down last night. Mediocre SS John Macdonald will likely fill that spot this weekend unless they want to call up someone from the minors to give it a shot against the world champions.

Nice. Contrarily, my anticipation is merely wolf-like.

Matchups are definitely in our favour. I expect pure domination!

Baby Fisk
05-25-2006, 11:54 AM
I saw that Taubenheim threw in relief last night. Will Chacin be back for Sunday's game? Is there another option for the Jays? One that isn't Halliday (hopefully)?
We do not face Halladay this weekend. He pitched earlier this week.

batmanZoSo
05-25-2006, 11:55 AM
We do not face Halladay this weekend. He pitched earlier this week.

Second time we've missed him, too. :bandance:

JohnBasedowYoda
05-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Except in Edmonton.

Phew nice save! I don't consider Edmonton a part of any country. I like to think it floats above Canada.

How about that game the other night? I was going between the Sox game and the Oilers and every time I flipped back to hockey either the Oilers or Ducks scored. A wild 3rd period but I never lost faith!

RKMeibalane
05-25-2006, 11:59 AM

The Jays are actually one of my other favorite teams. I've been following the Adams saga, and it's quite sad. The other day, he tried a sidearm a throw to first that bounced about ten times before squirming under Lyle Overbay's glove and rolling to the wall alongside first base.

John Gibbons reminds me a lot of Jerry Manuel. Like Manuel, he's obsessed with tinkering with the lineup and giving players days off three times a week. Last night, he used seven pitchers in a 10-8 loss to the D-Rays, becuase Josh Towers- who has also been sent down- lasted only 1 and 2/3 innings before being pulled.

The Jays have a nice offense, as they lead the American League in batting average. With the likes of Vernon Wells, Alex Rios, Troy Glaus, Lyle Overbay, and Shea Hillenbrand, the Jays have an offensive team that rivals the Sox in terms of production, but they don't do the little things nearly as well as Ozzie's bunch. That said, this should be a fun series, as the Jays are neck-and-neck with New York and Boston in the AL East.

Baby Fisk
05-25-2006, 12:02 PM
The Jays are actually one of my other favorite teams. I've been following the Adams saga, and it's quite sad. The other day, he tried a sidearm a throw to first that bounced about ten times before squirming under Lyle Overbay's glove and rolling to the wall alongside first base.

John Gibbons reminds me a lot of Jerry Manuel. Like Manuel, he's obsessed with tinkering with the lineup and giving players days off three times a week. Last night, he used seven pitchers in a 10-8 loss to the D-Rays, becuase Josh Towers- who has also been sent down- lasted only 1 and 2/3 innings before being pulled.

The Jays have a nice offense, as they lead the American League in batting average. With the likes of Vernon Wells, Alex Rios, Troy Glaus, Lyle Overbay, and Shea Hillenbrand, the Jays have an offensive team that rivals the Sox in terms of production, but they don't do the little things nearly as well as Ozzie's bunch. That said, this should be a fun series, as the Jays are neck-and-neck with New York and Boston in the AL East.

So long as the Sox starters hold down the Jays bats, Thome, Konerko, Dye, et al should have a field day up here. I expect no less than seeing one of our mashers smash a window in the outfield restaurant!

itsnotrequired
05-25-2006, 12:03 PM
So long as the Sox starters hold down the Jays bats, Thome, Konerko, Dye, et al should have a field day up here. I expect no less than seeing one of our mashers smash a window in the outfield restaurant!

I assume you are at all three games?

Baby Fisk
05-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I assume you are at all three games?

http://www.geocities.com/whs_redwolf_jrotc/wolf_angry_.jpg
"Yes!"

RKMeibalane
05-25-2006, 12:10 PM

I don't expect the Sox to have too many problems with the Jays' pitchers. The only matchup that worries me is the game between Contreras and Janssen, who has shown that he has good stuff. The Sox should be able to knock him around, but if they go into the game overconfident, he might surprise them.

INSox56
05-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I saw that Halladay had just pitched a game or two ago and thanked god that we won't face him at all this year. Did we face him last year at all?...hmmmmmm

Hangar18
05-25-2006, 12:15 PM

The Curse of the Blue Jay is in full-effect I see (for adopting the markings of a Black Crow instead of the markings of a Blue Jay, for which the team named itself)

itsnotrequired
05-25-2006, 12:18 PM

Canada may be embarrassed tonight but it won't be on the diamond.:wink:

RKMeibalane
05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
The Curse of the Blue Jay is in full-effect I see (for adopting the markings of a Black Crow instead of the markings of a Blue Jay, for which the team named itself)

That's why Baby Fisk calls them the Black Jays. It's interesting that so many of the teams he likes tinker with their color schemes and uniforms. Don't ask him about the Mets. :cool:

itsnotrequired
05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
http://www.geocities.com/whs_redwolf_jrotc/wolf_angry_.jpg
"Yes!"

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/DGV/DGV326/433001.jpg

THIS POST IS
WILD!

JohnBasedowYoda
05-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Canada may be embarrassed tonight but it won't be on the diamond.:wink:

No way! Take off hoser!

Get ready for some old time hockey!

Hitmen77
05-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Nice. Contrarily, my anticipation is merely wolf-like.

Matchups are definitely in our favour. I expect pure domination!

It's about time, for the last couple of weeks, seems to me like the Sox have faced some pretty tough pitching. Tampa Bay may be in last place, but we had to face Kazmir and Hendrickson. Against the Cubs, we faced Maddux and Zambozo. Against the A's it was Zito and Haren.

samram
05-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Seeing that Halladay pitched Tuesday, isn't it possible they would bump him up to Sunday, especially if they lost the first two games?

mccoydp
05-25-2006, 01:53 PM
I saw that Halladay had just pitched a game or two ago and thanked god that we won't face him at all this year. Did we face him last year at all?...hmmmmmm

The Sox didn't face Halladay at all last year.

fquaye149
05-25-2006, 03:19 PM
No way! Take off hoser!

Get ready for some old time hockey!

eddie schorr?

JohnBasedowYoda
05-25-2006, 03:26 PM
eddie schorr?

That remminds me of the time that Eddie Schorr sends me this guy. He was a terrible mas*******. I'd be dammed if he wouldn't get a penalty just to get in there and **********. Now what was his name?

Chips
05-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I think Baby Fisk will need a broom come Sunday.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-25-2006, 03:39 PM
I think Baby Fisk will need a broom come Sunday.

and a:
http://arthur.keksdose.net/archives/images/20040304MolsonCanadian.jpg

hawkjt
05-25-2006, 03:52 PM
They could bump Halladay up to Sunday if they do not have other options. I assumed they would be on a five man rotation which would put him on monday. hope it stays that way.

Of course then on monday the sox face cliff Lee with CC sabatthia on Tues. - no bargain with CC at 5-1 with 1.46 era.

The easy part of the schedule is over. could be some tough patches ahead.

RKMeibalane
05-25-2006, 11:27 PM
They could bump Halladay up to Sunday if they do not have other options. I assumed they would be on a five man rotation which would put him on monday. hope it stays that way.

Of course then on monday the sox face cliff Lee with CC sabatthia on Tues. - no bargain with CC at 5-1 with 1.46 era.

The easy part of the schedule is over. could be some tough patches ahead.

I watched last night's Blue Jays game. The plan is for Halliday to start on Monday against Boston, with Chacin being activated for Tuesday.

PicktoCLick72
05-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Even if we are the world Champs, the Jays play Boston right after us and I think they would rather have their better pitchers in a game against their division rivals. Especially when Halladay is pretty much their entire staff at the moment.

CanBuehrleWait
05-26-2006, 05:26 AM
Even if we are the world Champs, the Jays play Boston right after us and I think they would rather have their better pitchers in a game against their division rivals. Especially when Halladay is pretty much their entire staff at the moment.

Doesn't hurt my feelings. It's road trip time. Great to see Jose is going Saturday so I'm there. So Babyfisk/somonone, do you know if the Rogers Centre holds the same policy upperdeck policy as the Cell? Just curious. Go Sox!

Baby Fisk
05-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Good point. Despite all the injuries and turmoil, the Jays are still competitive in their weak division. If they can take a game or two from the Sox with a couple of rookie pitchers starting, they will consider the series a wild success. The Boston games next week are more critical for them.

Looks like the tortoise shell will be closed tonight as it's been raining all morning. But the forecast is for brilliant sunshine and high 20s (80s fahrenheit) on Saturday and Sunday = open roof. :bandance:

Fuller_Schettman
05-26-2006, 01:59 PM
I am most worried about tonight's game. We have had success against Ted Lilly, but he is a Lefty and we have struggled against lefties this year (8-9).

Here's hoping we can get to .500 with Freddy on the bump.