PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/25/06

Hangar18
05-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Its been a few days since I last did a Media Watch. It was quite impossible actually to get a fair count, seeing how much negative coverage was hitting the SOX, I decided to just not count it at all. I had lots of questions about the general mood of the Media BEFORE the series, and was funny, I couldnt Find My Threads for last Thursday/Friday! (they were renamed flubsessed lunatic watch or something of that matter) Quite Ironic that the last 2 Media Watches I had, rightly predicted the Mood of the Media AND the NL ballclub going into that series, and thier general behaviour is all predictable since then. It was VERY OBVIOUS the Media were not in a happy mood, covering up (quite nicely I'll add) the Trixie-Gate controversy, and now, turning in Full AJ-was-always-a-Jerk Propoganda Mode.

Numerous messages from across the country from fans of other teams, are all saying what a Dirty and Cheap shot it was, and all are stunned to learn what the Chicago Tribune (and their pets the SunTimes) are pulling regarding this controversy. Last Thursday and Fridays "Flubsessed Lunatic" threads are being analyzed and quoted now and thankfully, all is recorded for the public to see. Still no word on the identity of Trixie (North show again openly wondered WHY she wasnt arrested, and what are they covering up) and still no Bird Killing stories on Jae Kuk Ryu either. But plenty of AJ IS TERRIBLE stories to go round.

Despite Winning the world series in 2005, the White Sox are lagging far far behind in Media Coverage to a team that, last season finished in 4th Place, is currently in 5th Place, and hasnt won anything of significance since the Roosevelt Administration
Chicago Tribune:
4 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Thursday May 25th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th Place in 05 Cubs 474
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 05 SOX 397

grizzbr
05-25-2006, 09:20 AM
I have to rely on my SOX updates each morning by pulling up the Sun Times on the internet. I'm astounded this morning. We sweep Oakland (1st time since '87) and the Flubs lose all three to a real bad Marlins club and what do I get to read?

Moronotti- Flubs article (no surprise here)
DeLuca- Flubs article
Quick Hits- blurb warning SOX fans that Detroit is real just like we were last year.

31-15 record and all I get to read is about THEM...12 1/2 back and falling fast!

Thank God I'm a SOX fan!!

SBSoxFan
05-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I must admit that the Sox have had top billing for most of the year in the South Bend Tribune.

Dan Mega
05-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Paul "Mr. Cub" Sullivan even wondered why security at Wrigley covered up the incident. So much for anyone questioning the Chicago media being wrong.

Nice article on Bobby Jenks in the suntimes though.

skottyj242
05-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Henry, thanks for letting me sit with you again last night. Good times.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Hangar,

It would have been impossible to do a count (quantitative analysis) during the Sox-Cubs series in the Tribune, since all the stories dealt with the games they played against each other anyway.

Still, it was possible, and you did perform, a qualitative analysis of the media coverage, and rightfully pointed out how the Cubs-loving media, in trying to be "fair and balanced," attempted to put A.J. on the same level as the clearly guilty Barrett.

daveeym
05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Bum off the street the trib hired to answer WSI's questions: Come on guys the Tigers ARE the story this year, they're here for the long haul. Proven stud pitchers. Never been injured mashing lineup up and down. A proven history of winning.

And how can you ignore this Cubs team. I know we say when the Sox win something we'll give you equal coverage, but who knew the Cubs would fail this spectacularly. Sucker punches, being swept by the worst team in baseball, cooler beatings, a clearly insane manager and GM and head of baseball operations, closed door secret meetings, millions spent on guys barely hitting their weight, underage drinking coverups, racist slurs and balls hurled at home players, unfortunate injuries occurring left and right, announced attendances no where near the actual attendance...excuse me (psst, oh i'm not supposed to say that one? that's part of what we're trying to stop? Team Organ? Oh, Gotcha)....I mean continued fan support from the best fan base in baseball. Face it, the Cubs are the story.

Hangar18
05-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Hangar,

It would have been impossible to do a count (quantitative analysis) during the Sox-Cubs series in the Tribune, since all the stories dealt with the games they played against each other anyway.

Still, it was possible, and you did perform, a qualitative analysis of the media coverage, and rightfully pointed out how the Cubs-loving media, in trying to be "fair and balanced," attempted to put A.J. on the same level as the clearly guilty Barrett.

Thankfully, I did "media-watches" for Last Thursday and Friday, BEFORE the brawl, and there was a tone being set by the Media. Those threads were/are being heavily scrutinized :cool:

Hangar18
05-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Henry, thanks for letting me sit with you again last night. Good times.

Right On. I even caught a TShirt from the "pride" crew