PDA

View Full Version : Best obscure thing about attending a game

mike squires
05-24-2006, 11:44 PM
I know it would be easy to say watching the game, bla bla bla...but what are some of the little things that you cherish about attending a ball game, particularly the Sox.

I have 3 but i'll only say 2. I don't want to steal anyone's thunder! I love going early and grabbing a BP foul ball down the line. It makes me feel like a little kid again. If one comes close or if I grab one my heart starts pounding and I get the shakes.

I absolutly love coming hom 2 hours away from the game, walk into my house and have the smell of grilled onions, stale beer and brats still on my clothes.

Max Power
05-25-2006, 12:34 AM
It's a long el ride down from Evanston (when I don't drive) and I enjoy watching people getting on the train on the way to the game. I'm usually one of the only people wearing Sox stuff when I get on, but by 35th it's packed with Sox people.
I also enjoy the atmosphere on the train after a win, as the train empties out back up to Evanston.

A lot of people will probably say this one: I love watching the intro videos.

Also, the kosher dogs WITH onions.

elrod
05-25-2006, 01:02 AM
I love coming out of the tunnel on the Red Line after Roosevelt Road and seeing the traffic on the Dan Ryan.

HotelWhiteSox
05-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Walking into the park and hearing 'eyyyyy program'

Also love the smell of the grilled onions

I make it a point to get to the park as early as possible. I like to get up close and watch BP but also like to take care of eating, visiting other parts of the park and all that early so I can watch the game without interruption.

Walking down the ramp after a win

C-Dawg
05-25-2006, 08:31 AM
This may be TOO obscure, but I've always enjoyed that first glimpse of USCF from the train while riding the Red Line. I guess its sort of like when you're a little kid; seeing a big-league ballpark was always cool. Heck even in the winter I like that spot on the Dan Ryan when you can first see the Cell off in the distance.

McCuddy
05-25-2006, 08:35 AM
The sense of history. I'm going to watch the Sox play, just like my great-grandfather did. The team he cheered for won the Series (1917). Mine did too.

Baby Fisk
05-25-2006, 09:03 AM
The sense of history. I'm going to watch the Sox play, just like my great-grandfather did. The team he cheered for won the Series (1917). Mine did too.
Yes, I like that connection with history too. The men who take the field wearing the Sox uniform are a living link to Bill Veeck, Nellie Fox, Joe Jackson, Charles Comiskey, Chick Gandil, etc.

ILuvThatDuck
05-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Hearing the call of, "MILLER LIIIIIIIIIIIIITE, COLD BEER HERE!!!!":gulp:

soxinthecity
05-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Thunder Struck intro and video Footage at the start, pure electricity.

EastCoastSoxFan
05-25-2006, 09:59 AM
...getting to a game early enough to be able to look for other people in Sox gear and, more times than not, strike up a conversation.

And getting into it (in a friendly way) with opposing fans on the way out after a WHITE SOX WINNER. I remember last year on the way out of Yankee Stadium a couple of guys noticed that my pinstripes were black instead of navy blue and tried to start razzing me, to which I replied, "Yeah, we'll see you in the playoffs -- oops, I forgot -- you're not going to make the playoffs."

I was almost proven right. Oh, well. It was still a hell of a game.

And the time I went to Detroit the Sox were down 4-2 and put up a 4-spot in the top of the 9th. When there were two outs, naturally the home town fans all stood up in anticipation of the third out, but when the tying run scored (I don't remember if it was Carlos Lee or Jose Valentin who drove it in -- this was in 2001, after all), I calmly invited everyone in my section to sit down for a while.

Ah, good times...

Mr.1Dog
05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
The smell of the grilled onions on the concourse is probably one of the best smells ever. And once that montage gets rolling I get goose bumps everytime. But the best is a sold out stadium and seeing every seat filled to watch the Champs. Life is grand...:cool:

salty99
05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
This may be TOO obscure, but I've always enjoyed that first glimpse of USCF from the train while riding the Red Line. I guess its sort of like when you're a little kid; seeing a big-league ballpark was always cool. Heck even in the winter I like that spot on the Dan Ryan when you can first see the Cell off in the distance.

I totally agree. I always look for the park on my drive in.

tebman
05-25-2006, 10:25 AM
For me it's all of the above. There are a few things that stand out:

That first glimpse of the park, as has already been mentioned. I remember more than 40 years later the thrill I would get seeing the light towers on Old Comiskey as we'd approach it from the south on the Dan Ryan. To me it was like the scene in "The Wizard of Oz" when Dorothy spots the Emerald City for the first time.
The booming "ONE - TWO -THREE strikes your out..." when a full house is singing during the 7th inning stretch. When it's right, it explodes like the scoreboard's aerial bombs.
But the best are the people there. I've been a lot of places and seen a lot of things, but I've never seen or felt the same esprit de corps as I consistently have when I'm among the crowd at a Sox game. Even during the lean years when I'd be there with a few thousand, it always felt like everybody knew everybody else and we picked up on conversations that we'd already started.I could go on, but DanH and Rich Lindberg have already written books about it. Going to a game is good for the soul.

Chip Z'nuff
05-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Stepping on home plate in the parking lot before every game.

batmanZoSo
05-25-2006, 10:30 AM
I like the big ramp walk after a big win.

Irishsox1
05-25-2006, 10:43 AM
At the old park they used to have these great tacos down on the third base side that were awesome. I think they were Pepe's tacos, but for some reason at the park I thought they were great. The tacos they have at the park now suck.

At the current park, I love how you can see the field from the concourse, the beers around the world stand, the radar pitch thingy, and of course fireworks!

skottyj242
05-25-2006, 03:19 PM
I love getting Budweisers from my good friend Heather at The Beers of the World stand down the third base line.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Those monotone bats in the LF scoreboard saying, "Sox Win!"

I also like it when people buy some beer for me. :gulp:

dickallen15
05-25-2006, 04:39 PM
I love spotting the vendors I've seen for years. The little asian lady who sells hot dogs, she's a one trick pony, the beer vendors, my two favorites are the "Millerrrrrrrrrrrrrr liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite guy, who must smoke a carton of cigarettes and drink a gallon of milk each day to keep his voice so flemmy, and the guy who wears shorts no matter how cold it is. He has gigantic feet, and we nicknamed him shoes. He also was an original dugout dancer. Although I spend most of my time in the club level, my friend and I always search for these three from our seats.

WhiteSoxRich
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
The smell of the grilled onions on the concourse is probably one of the best smells ever. And once that montage gets rolling I get goose bumps everytime. But the best is a sold out stadium and seeing every seat filled to watch the Champs. Life is grand...:cool:

Gotta disagree with the onion smell. I like onions but OMG. Right with you on the montage & goose bumps, although THUNDER needs to be louder. I thought it was louder last year. What does everyone else think?

WizardsofOzzie
05-25-2006, 05:36 PM
1. the montage....who dosen't love it, especially now with all the world series clips in it.

2. Celebrating with people you've never even met before. When AJ hit his walkoff against the dodgers, i was running up and down the aisle hugging and hi fiving people i've never seen in my life.....all because of baseball :D:

Southsider101
05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
1. You can buy Becks at Beer of the Worlds
2. Polish and kosher dogs WITH onions
3. The view of the city from the UD ramps

skobabe8
05-25-2006, 06:41 PM
I love seeing the exact same people sitting around me every game I go to. I had the Ozzie plan in 2004, but this is the first year I've had season tickets. Its like your own little neighborhood with your friendly, familiar neighbors.

I also love seeing people keep score. You know they've been doing it all ballgames their whole lives.

TomBradley72
05-25-2006, 07:35 PM
The first glimpse of the field after entering the ballpark
Man Soo Lee walking out to the bullpen w/everyone cheering
The first pitch
The first seven notes Nancy plays before starting "Na Na"
Celebrating with strangers
"Sweet Home Chicago" playing over an empty field
Miller Lite "bombers" in the Bullpen Sports Bar
Opening the sports section the morning after a great win

pdimas
05-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Hanging out with my pops and our tailgate crew. No matter what time I get to the park my dad is already there with chairs out sippin a brew. Him and I are pretty much polar opposites but we will always have baseball in common. No matter how angry we make each other we can still always talk baseball.

Hanging out with our buddy Nick who we met the first year we had season tickets in '03 and who we went to Tucson with.

Seeing grown men running into the park as their kids struggle to keep up. It just reinforces the idea of the magic that baseball holds. It turns us all into grinning toothless 6 year olds. Everytime I have seen this this year I can't help but smile to myself.

No matter how stressed out I am or whats on my mind it all disappears once I enter the stadium. All it takes is one whiff of those ballpark smells.

The food tastes good. :smile: Salty peanuts, cold beer, the ICEE stand on really hot days when nothing goes down good, the elote stand in the outfield (thanks for bringing it back), dollar hot dog days.

Fireworks and when the smoke drifts into the stadium sometimes after they are blown off. The smoke makes it sort of seem that the game is somewhat suspended in time, it gives it a sort of haunting aspect. Almost like long after we are gone there will still be the game.

batmanZoSo
05-25-2006, 08:07 PM
http://emanuellevy.com/images/photos/bckcft2ot7g.jpg
The sounds, the smells...the feel of the grass.

The thrill of the grass.

vegyrex
05-25-2006, 08:56 PM

The thrill of the grass.
The churros!! :D:

Slats
05-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Sox beat the Twins 9-2. Seeing some guy wearing a Twins hat and a Twins jacket walking down the ramp with about a thousand screaming Sox fans. Everyone was going nuts and this poor sap looked like he wanted to get out of there as fast as humanly possible.

LongLiveFisk
05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Celebrating with people you've never even met before. When AJ hit his walkoff against the dodgers, i was running up and down the aisle hugging and hi fiving people i've never seen in my life.....all because of baseball :D:

You beat me to this one. This is always great. After a clutch Sox hit you can always count on the people around you high-fiving each other. I wish we could be as courteous when we're stuck in traffic together! :D:

Also, I love the sense of history and pride with the team (does anyone else have a mental flashback of their first game ever like I do everytime I go to a game?), seeing everyone in their Sox gear, and smelling the food at the ballpark.

skottyj242
05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
I love spotting the vendors I've seen for years. The little asian lady who sells hot dogs, she's a one trick pony, the beer vendors, my two favorites are the "Millerrrrrrrrrrrrrr liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite guy, who must smoke a carton of cigarettes and drink a gallon of milk each day to keep his voice so flemmy, and the guy who wears shorts no matter how cold it is. He has gigantic feet, and we nicknamed him shoes. He also was an original dugout dancer. Although I spend most of my time in the club level, my friend and I always search for these three from our seats.

I love it when you buy a beer from that guy and he gives you his business card.

VenturaSoxFan23
05-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I have a few:

-Feeling a sense of pride walking to the park and seeing "Home Of The Chicago White Sox".

-"Programs! Scorecards! Get your scorecards here!"

-That first glimpse of the field.

-The crawlers that tell you the teams accomplishments, then the players on every beat during the video montage. Enough to make you wanna cry.

-The first pop, first hot dog.

-Out-of-town scoreboard. Especially when there's a whole slew of games going on.

Vernam
05-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Since they added the roof, the upper deck reminds me of being in the old park. Nothing wrong with the lower concourse, which is great in a different way. But the people, the lighting, the smells, and the higher ceiling of the upper concourse reminds me of being at Comiskey in the 70s. All it lacks is cigar smoke, though I'm down with the tobacco ban.

I agree with WizardsofOzzie and LongLiveFisk about the camaraderie. Exciting as the post-season was on the field, my best memories are of people sharing the moment in the stands and on the ramps. All except for the drunken ******* who knocked me tits over ass as Pods was rounding the bases after his HR off Lidge. :angry: Other than that, I've got nothing but love for Sox fans!

Vernam

rookieroy
05-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Those are all great! But, the capper to another White Sox victory is walking under the viaduct on 35th and the drummer points his sticks at you and screams "CUBS SUCK!". You give him your pocket change and life is good! :smile:

pdimas
05-26-2006, 04:17 PM

The thrill of the grass.

Kinsella (who wrote the book that Field of Dreams was base on) has a collection of baseball short stories called The Thrill of the Grass. I have two tattered copies which I reread every summer.

goofymsfan
05-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Getting to the game an hour or so before the gates open and chatting with the regulars who also arrive early. Heck there are times we break out the cards and play some cribbage.

The friends I've made at the games.
Watching the antics of the bull pen. At Safeco I stand on the landing right next to the bull pen. Some of the guys flick pumpkin seeds. Some times they try and land them in some schmucks beer. JJ likes to put bubble gum bubbles on the Rookies' heads.
The people that come out to the landing just to say hi and see how things are going.
The Hi-5ing that happens after a good play or a score.
Being an extremely shy closed person, going to games have helped me be a little less shy and actually give me the confidence to go and do things on my own rather than waiting for someone else to be able to join me.This only scratches the surface.

whitesoxwilkes
05-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Being an extremely shy closed person, going to games have helped me be a little less shy and actually give me the confidence to go and do things on my own rather than waiting for someone else to be able to join me.This only scratches the surface.

The pleasure of going to a ballgame alone and just talking to people...well, there's nothing like it on earth. I always make it a point to catch games when I'm traveling, and I've had almost as much fun talking to strangers as I've had going to Sox games.

miker
05-26-2006, 09:25 PM
The first glimpse of the field after entering the ballpark
Absolutely! Its all anticipation up to that point.

Nancy on the organ also does it for me...why do you have to go Nancy, WHY?!?!?

LuzinskiRoofShot
05-26-2006, 09:45 PM
My favorites...

1. Holding my 2 1/2 year old son's hand as he runs to the gate from the parking lot.
2. Buying my scorecard and pencil.
3. Saturday night fireworks.

BiancaCalzini
05-26-2006, 10:44 PM
1. All my friends in the Bullpen Sports Bar
2. Punching All-Star ballots between innings
3. Meeting out-of-towners who express pure amazement that the media think the Urinal is a better stadium.
4. After the passing of many of our Sox fan friends, knowing that my mom (age 84) got to see our favorite team take it all - and share their glory with their loyal fans.

What a special year! And we're looking forward to another!:supernana:

TornLabrum
05-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Something I've grown accustomed to, but which I'm unable to do this year because I have no day game tickets in the lower deck is stopping by the organ booth and saying hi to Nancy. I don't know about this year but in the past before Nancy arrived, Gene Honda would be in the area having a smoke or two and I'd always say hi to him, too. One of the ways that it sucks to have so many people at the park now.

On the other hand, I prefer that to an empty park and a .500 team.

Oblong
05-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Being able to take my beer in the bathroom.

I took my 5 year old a few weeks ago and he was eating a malt cup. When he finished I said "Ben, you know what's cool about baseball games?" Then I threw my hot dog wrapper on the ground. He smiled and then tossed his empty malt cup on the ground too.

doctorlecter
05-27-2006, 04:17 PM
The little asian lady who sells hot dogs, she's a one trick pony

For the record, her name is "Ho." Not kidding. I was at a Sox game in that other ballpark and she was wearing a nametag.

StockdaleForVeep
05-27-2006, 04:40 PM
The whitesox draw in the most beautiful girls in the midwest

miker
05-27-2006, 04:54 PM
For the record, her name is "Ho." Not kidding. I was at a Sox game in that other ballpark and she was wearing a nametag.
How did you get her attention? "Hey...."

miker
05-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Being able to take my beer in the bathroom.

I took my 5 year old a few weeks ago and he was eating a malt cup. When he finished I said "Ben, you know what's cool about baseball games?" Then I threw my hot dog wrapper on the ground. He smiled and then tossed his empty malt cup on the ground too.
Litterer!

MarySwiss
05-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Having someone spill beer on me.

Never--in all my days--have I been at a Sox game where that didn't happen--including the COTC. So who says you can never go home again?:smile:

logansquaresox
05-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Having someone spill beer on me.

Never--in all my days--have I been at a Sox game where that didn't happen--including the COTC. So who says you can never go home again?:smile:

:redface: Sorry about that. Maybe you should wear a mackintosh?

MarySwiss
05-27-2006, 09:02 PM
:redface: Sorry about that. Maybe you should wear a mackintosh?

No, no, no! You misunderstood me! If I ever went to a Sox game that I DIDN'T get beer spilled on me, I would feel cheated. I love it; it's all part of the experience.

BTW, obviously I made it home in one piece, albeit just a little before 2 am. And I really enjoyed meeting you and your mom at COTC.