PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Draws Greatest Walk in Baseball History

WinOrDyeTrying
05-24-2006, 06:09 PM
From The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/48680)

OAKLAND—An exhausted Frank Thomas trotted to first base Wednesday night after a historic 257-pitch at-bat that included three balls, 251 consecutive dropped foul tips, and eight relief pitchers during a fifth-inning walk in a 7-2 victory over the Seattle Mariners.. "He walked him! He walked him! I can easily believe what I just saw for the past two and a half hours!" said Oakland's play-by play man Ken Korach, whose now-famous "walk call" will likely never be recited by avid baseball fans everywhere. "The fans were on their feet for every pitch until number 147, at which point they grew tired and left the ballpark. My, oh my, if there's any justice in the world, I'll never live to see a walk like that again." Thomas checked his swing at the final pitch of the at-bat, and the call was deferred to first-base umpire Andy Fletcher, who at that point clearly wasn't paying attention.http://www.theonion.com/content/themes/onion/assets/terminator.gif

RKMeibalane
05-24-2006, 06:12 PM
From The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/48680)

What's really funny is that he's actually had similar at-bats over the course of his career.

robiwho
05-24-2006, 06:20 PM
That is freaking hysterical!

jabrch
05-24-2006, 07:05 PM
What's really funny is that he's actually had similar at-bats over the course of his career.

Opening Day, about 3 years ago, vs Kansas City was a legendary AB that ended in a walk. I don't recall how many pitches it was, but it was close to 257.

Baby Fisk
05-25-2006, 08:58 AM
That is awesome.

Before last year, I always imagined a World Series fantasy at-bat where Thomas would be up in the bottom of the 9th at the Cell, representing the winning run. He would engage in a maniacal 20-pitch at bat, then, swinging with nothing left but fumes, he would bomb one onto the concourse to win the Championship. There would be absolute bedlam in the stadium for at least an hour. :wired:

But things worked out OK last year anyhow, eh?

Craig Grebeck
05-25-2006, 10:44 AM
once again proving that the onion is the greatest publication in the world

LongLiveFisk
05-25-2006, 10:51 AM
I wonder what the actual record is....most pitches in one AB generally speaking, and most pitches in one AB to draw a walk. I'm sure one of you statisticians can find out!

Chips
05-25-2006, 11:01 AM
I wonder what the actual record is....most pitches in one AB generally speaking, and most pitches in one AB to draw a walk. I'm sure one of you statisticians can find out!

I found this one the online:

Luke Appling who played for the Chicago White Sox from 1930 to 1950, seems to be the frontrunner. His anecdotal pitch counts range from 19 to 24. One storied at bat went as follows: four fouls, one ball, six fouls, one ball, fourteen fouls, and then two more balls for a walk.

samram
05-25-2006, 11:02 AM

Yeah, I was saying in chat last night that facing Frank is a pain in the ass, no matter what his average is.

C-Dawg
05-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Opening Day, about 3 years ago, vs Kansas City was a legendary AB that ended in a walk. I don't recall how many pitches it was, but it was close to 257.

You beat me to it. I was going to mention the same game. :smile: