PDA

View Full Version : El Duque heads back to New York

santo=dorf
05-24-2006, 05:00 PM
So can we PLEASE put to bed the idea of KW trading for him to be in our bullpen?

According to ESPNews, the Mets have acquired Orlando Hernandez from the Diamondbacks for Jorge Julio.
What a hideous deal for the Diamondbacks. They had far more use for a starter like El Duque than a mediocre middle relief if they intended to contend this year, and Julio shouldn't be in their plans for the future. The Mets get a decent fourth starter to plug into the rotation, though whether Hernandez will be healthy enough to contribute down the stretch is anyone's guess. His fantasy value increases with the trade. May. 24 - 5:58 pm et

Baby Fisk
05-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Holy ****! :o: :bandance:

TDog
05-24-2006, 05:15 PM
I thought the Mets front office dismissed Hernandez as being too young and inexperienced.

ZachAL
05-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Great trade for the mets. They needed this after the Lima-time experiment

IlliniSox4Life
05-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Good, glad to see him playing for a contender where his playoff skills should be usefull. I just hope he doesn't pitch against us in the WS.

SoxEd
05-24-2006, 06:11 PM
I thought the Mets front office dismissed Hernandez as being too young and inexperienced.

:kneeslap:

SouthSide_HitMen
05-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Meet the Mets, Meet the Mets,

Step right up and greet the Mets,

Bring your kiddies, bring your wife,

Guaranteed to have the time of your life

:supernana:

Minaya & El Duque Yes!!!

MadetoOrta
05-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Minaya's doing a terrific job over there. This is a great pick-up; especially for the stretch run.

RealMenWearBlack
05-24-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't understand this trade at all considering that the Diamondbacks are currently in first place. Maybe the Diamondbacks see something in Jorge Julio that the Mets don't or are trading for his age. You always want to win your division even if you'll get bounced out in the division series, but I don't see how this makes Arizona any better.

Jjav829
05-24-2006, 08:17 PM
I don't understand this trade at all considering that the Diamondbacks are currently in first place. Maybe the Diamondbacks see something in Jorge Julio that the Mets don't or are trading for his age. You always want to win your division even if you'll get bounced out in the division series, but I don't see how this makes Arizona any better.
Well, El Duque has a 6.11 ERA. It's not like he's been pitching lights out for them. I would have thought that they could have gotten someone a little better than Julio, though. If nothing else, they might have been better off getting a prospect to help replenish their farm system when they trade 3 prospects for Dontrelle.

Steelrod
05-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Could this have been why Hendry didn't travel with the team, and he again failed to land a starter?

SouthSide_HitMen
05-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, El Duque has a 6.11 ERA. It's not like he's been pitching lights out for them. I would have thought that they could have gotten someone a little better than Julio, though. If nothing else, they might have been better off getting a prospect to help replenish their farm system when they trade 3 prospects for Dontrelle.

Arizona is a tough park for pitchers and I expect El Duque to improve his numbers due to the fact he will now be in Shea and 1/2 of his road games are also in pitchers parks / against the weak sisters of the NL East.

http://www.doesthecirclehold.com/wp-content/guinnessB11.jpg

Minaya traded that bum Julio for El Duque. Brilliant!!!

SoxSpeed22
05-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Great deal for the Mets, El Duque in Shea stadium will mean less homers allowed and this could shore up the rotation.

Erik The Red
05-24-2006, 09:54 PM
This just proves that Minaya only wants hispanics on the Mets.

DaleJRFan
05-24-2006, 11:33 PM
This just proves that Minaya only wants hispanics on the Mets.

Or it could be that the Diamondbacks want only fat relief pichers???

elrod
05-24-2006, 11:56 PM
I bet El Duque was just bored in Arizona. I mean, have we ever seen a pitcher do so much better in big games, as opposed to mid-season games against the bottom feeders, than El Duque? Freddy has that characteristic too, but El Duque takes the cake. When he gets to Shea, his adrenaline will kick in and he'll pitch great again. Some pitchers just need the atmospherics to get their game on.

Another great thing for the Mets is they just started a Cuban defector named Soler, who I'm sure would love to have a mentor on the staff. Soler was outstanding tonight after a shaky first inning. If the Mets can shore up those last two slots in the rotation, they are going to run away with the NL East.

DumpJerry
05-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Could this have been why Hendry didn't travel with the team, and he again failed to land a starter?
The Cubs don't need a starter. They have Prior and Wood, the best starters in the history of baseball.

They also have Felix Pie.:rolleyes:

getonbckthr
05-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Or it could be that the Diamondbacks want only fat relief pichers???
You would think with the constant heat there would be some sort of weight loss.

Jjav829
05-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I bet El Duque was just bored in Arizona. I mean, have we ever seen a pitcher do so much better in big games, as opposed to mid-season games against the bottom feeders, than El Duque? Freddy has that characteristic too, but El Duque takes the cake. When he gets to Shea, his adrenaline will kick in and he'll pitch great again. Some pitchers just need the atmospherics to get their game on.

Another great thing for the Mets is they just started a Cuban defector named Soler, who I'm sure would love to have a mentor on the staff. Soler was outstanding tonight after a shaky first inning. If the Mets can shore up those last two slots in the rotation, they are going to run away with the NL East.
El Duque is finished, at least when it comes to pitching large amounts of innings. It has nothing to do with him being bored. He was bad last year, but no one remembers that he had a 5+ ERA; they just remember the one inning against Boston. Buster Olney had a great quote from an AL executive in his column today:

The best possible situation you can have with Orlando Hernandez at this stage in his career, a high-ranking American League executive said last night, is when you don't have to count on him. "The White Sox played it exactly right last year," the exec said, "because they brought him along and he was kind of the extra guy in the rotation -- they didn't absolutely need him to win. They went into the postseason, and he wasn't filling a crucial role; he was just another guy on their pitching staff. And then, in the playoff series against Boston, they brought him [in] when it wasn't make or break, and he was tremendous."

It's absolutely right. Any team that is relying on El Duque to pitch big innings for them is in trouble. He is most valuable when he can be that extra pitcher like he was for us at the end of last season. You do bring up a great point about Soler. I'm sure Minaya is hoping that El Duque can help Soler like he did Contreras.

vegyrex
05-25-2006, 07:27 PM
El Duque is finished, at least when it comes to pitching large amounts of innings. It has nothing to do with him being bored. He was bad last year, but no one remembers that he had a 5+ ERA; they just remember the one inning against Boston.

But that inning was a really important inning. Maybe one of the greatest moments in Sox history.