PDA

View Full Version : Mackowiak jumps Brian on the depth chart

rowand33
05-24-2006, 03:31 PM
from rotoworld.com:

Manager Ozzie Guillen indicated Tuesday that Rob Mackowiak will get increased playing time over Brian Anderson in center field.
"Brian is not hitting the way we hoped he'd hit," Guillen said. "Right now, Mackowiak is going to be in against tough righties until we see Brian start swinging the bat better. He will face some righties, but we're going to pick the ones we think he can handle. The way Mackowiak's swinging, I don't mind using him." May. 24 - 9:34 am et

salty99
05-24-2006, 03:33 PM
That makes sense. Use Anderson as a defensive replacement.

voodoochile
05-24-2006, 03:34 PM
That makes sense. Use Anderson as a defensive replacement.

Sounds like more of a platoon - which is what was suggested earlier in the year if Anderson didn't pick it up. I agree though, put Anderson in there no matter what in late inning close games.

rdwj
05-24-2006, 03:34 PM
I don't read that as Mack jumping Brian on the depth chart. He's going to get more starts, ya - but Brian is still the main guy.

steveironcity
05-24-2006, 03:35 PM
from rotoworld.com:

Manager Ozzie Guillen indicated Tuesday that Rob Mackowiak will get increased playing time over Brian Anderson in center field.
"Brian is not hitting the way we hoped he'd hit," Guillen said. "Right now, Mackowiak is going to be in against tough righties until we see Brian start swinging the bat better. He will face some righties, but we're going to pick the ones we think he can handle. The way Mackowiak's swinging, I don't mind using him." May. 24 - 9:34 am et

Good for Mack-o-wack :D:

tstrike2000
05-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Rob's a more seasoned hitter and leftie, so I can understand that part of it, but the Sox were playing well with Anderson so I don't think it's really necessary...IMO.

The Dude
05-24-2006, 03:36 PM
from rotoworld.com:

Good decision, but I just hope this doesnt hurt Anderson's confidence any more than he already has. But as I always think, a little competition should make players play that much harder to keep/get their job.

Minnie Me
05-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe Pablo could play alittle CF

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 03:42 PM

Imagine how bright the sun would shine then.

:redneck

Minnie Me
05-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Imagine how bright the sun would shine then.

:redneck

I started singing this song in my head
just because the sun was high shining bright
and I could smell the fresh cut grass
as I looked up to the blue-white sky
I saw Pablo Ozuna muffing a fly

D. TODD
05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
This could allow Oz to pick and choose the matchups for Anderson at the dish. Hopefully a little more success at the plate with these selective matchups will give him a bit more confidence. It is a pretty big dropoff defensively though. I hope this benefits both players for the long haul.

IlliniSox4Life
05-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Well, I just hope Anderson is getting around 50% of the starts. Young players can't develop without time, and we all knew it would take time. He is still a much better defensive centerfielder, and that is what we have been saying all along really matters out of him. If he could get his average even above the mendoza line, I would have to believe he'd be getting most of the starts.

The Wimperoo
05-24-2006, 04:07 PM
How is Brian going to improve his swing on the bench? If a good matchup isn't against someone crappy like Kirk Saarloos then what is? KW complains about defense then this goes down, makes perfect sense

Mercy!
05-24-2006, 04:09 PM

I'm not a member of the Teal Police, but do you need some assistance?

spiffie
05-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Rob's a more seasoned hitter and leftie, so I can understand that part of it, but the Sox were playing well with Anderson so I don't think it's really necessary...IMO.
I think some of this move is being necessitated by the way the Tigers have played this year. If this was like 2005 where having our record meant a nearly double digit lead in the division that the team would be more willing to play BA more. But with it looking like this could be a season-long fight where every game counts there's less margin for error or for letting BA work out his kinks by hitting .170 over 500 AB.

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 04:12 PM
How is Brian going to improve his swing on the bench? If a good matchup isn't against someone crappy like Kirk Saarloos then what is? KW complains about defense then this goes down, makes perfect senseI don't care how good your defense is, there's no way to make up in CF defense for a .167 batting average. Anderson will still get starts, but sometimes all you do by playing every day is reinforce what's causing the problem in the first place. Young players don't just learn by getting AB - they learn by watching other hitters. This is a case of less is more.

Minnie Me
05-24-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm not a member of the Teal Police, but do you need some assistance?

As long as its not in a dome and the wind is less than 15MPH I have no doubts that Pablo could play CF at a level on par with Jeremy Reed.

hawkjt
05-24-2006, 04:21 PM
I think we all saw this coming and it is not a big deal. Platooning for the time being is just good managing.

BA will be in there against the leftys- pinch-hitting when they bring in a lefty and late game defense. Also selective right-handers.

I like getting Mack in a groove at the plate and keeping him there. When you look at some of the matchups in the next week- Jays have at least two leftys going and then CC Sabbathia and Cliff Lee on tues and mon of next week.

No bargain for BA that is for sure but he will be out there in at least 4 of the next 7 games after tonite. Glad we miss halladay.
It is such a long season that in the end they will both get plenty of ab's

SouthSide_HitMen
05-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Depth chart

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=cws

I still think Brian will get at least 1/2 or more of the starts in CF. He is our only good CF - Mackowiak doesn't have the range and Podsednik doesn't have a good read on the ball nor the arm.

I hope he gets out of his early funk. He was a very good hitter in the minors and some players do crap out for whatever reason when they reach the majors but I do not think Anderson will be one of those players and at some point he will breakout and become a good (or at least acceptable) hitter at the plate. He has power which should develop over the next few years.

PicktoCLick72
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
I really do not see this this as that big of a deal. Mack has got some huge hits for us the past couple days and Ozzie is rewarding him. Besides Brian is going to be missing a couple games anyways due to a certain takedown.

INSox56
05-24-2006, 04:36 PM
I think some of this move is being necessitated by the way the Tigers have played this year. If this was like 2005 where having our record meant a nearly double digit lead in the division that the team would be more willing to play BA more. But with it looking like this could be a season-long fight where every game counts there's less margin for error or for letting BA work out his kinks by hitting .170 over 500 AB.

I think that's the main reason also. I think if we get more of a lead and don't need the offense as much, Anderson will see more. But with it being so close, you can't afford to have Brian killing rallies every other inning. He's hitting worse than some pitchers for cryin out loud, it's pretty much a wasted AB anymore.

BeviBall!
05-24-2006, 04:43 PM
We're losing a lot of defense in this switch. Hopefully it's a 60/40 split.

mccoydp
05-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm with Ozzie on this one. Mack is hitting well right now.

getonbckthr
05-24-2006, 04:52 PM
If this is the case a platoon of 44 and Mack you might as well try to get someone to play everyday in the market. If Anderson is your guy for the future, with the offense we have, he should be the guy now and deal with the growing pains. If they don't have faith in Brian come July find out what it will take to get someone like Wells or Crawford or someone else who is young enough to last a while, plays solid D and can produce offensively. I feel Mack as an everyday or every other day player is a defensive liability. Sure 44 comes in during the 8th and 9th but what about 1st-7th? Don't get me wrong I like Mack and he has been hot lately but I only wanna see him out there once in a while to give the OF's a day off. Just like Ozuna and Cintron, as good as they have been, should only be out there to give the IF a day off. As far as Gload I think he is a wasted roster spot and would rather see another arm in the pen.

ilsox7
05-24-2006, 05:08 PM
As long as its not in a dome and the wind is less than 15MPH I have no doubts that Pablo could play CF at a level on par with Jeremy Reed.

:rolling:

Don't forget to add night games and day games where the sun is out.

rowand33
05-24-2006, 05:20 PM
If this is the case a platoon of 44 and Mack you might as well try to get someone to play everyday in the market. If Anderson is your guy for the future, with the offense we have, he should be the guy now and deal with the growing pains. If they don't have faith in Brian come July find out what it will take to get someone like Wells or Crawford or someone else who is young enough to last a while, plays solid D and can produce offensively. I feel Mack as an everyday or every other day player is a defensive liability. Sure 44 comes in during the 8th and 9th but what about 1st-7th? Don't get me wrong I like Mack and he has been hot lately but I only wanna see him out there once in a while to give the OF's a day off. Just like Ozuna and Cintron, as good as they have been, should only be out there to give the IF a day off. As far as Gload I think he is a wasted roster spot and would rather see another arm in the pen.

Good God... imagine Crawford and Pods on the same team. Sick.

We'd have to give up some heavy duty pitching prospects for him though.

champagne030
05-24-2006, 05:20 PM
I agree though, put Anderson in there no matter what in late inning close games.

Especially when you have a two run lead in the 8th inning. Anderson catches the fly ball by the Punk that Mack turned into a 2 RBI triple. I agree at this point that a platoon is probably needed because Mack's bat is coming around.....Ozzie just needs to remember to make the defensive swap.

thomas35forever
05-25-2006, 12:14 AM
We're losing a lot of defense in this switch. Hopefully it's a 60/40 split.
Use Anderson for defense in late-inning situations.

Mohoney
05-25-2006, 12:40 AM
If they don't have faith in Brian come July find out what it will take to get someone like Wells or Crawford or someone else who is young enough to last a while, plays solid D and can produce offensively.

If you're talking about Vernon Wells or Carl Crawford, then you can say goodbye to a member of our starting 5. If either one of those players could be had for less than a member of our starting 5, then the GM on the other side of that deal would be on the unemployment line the very next day.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I'd rather keep the pitchers, thank you very much.

For the first time in my life, there is no Jerry Reuss, no Carlos Castillo, no Danny Wright, no John Snyder, no Jason Grilli, no Shawn Hillegas, et. al. taking the mound to doom us to defeat before the game even starts.

Whatever shortcomings there are in a lineup that, so far, has won at a .667 clip BECAUSE OF THIS STARTING PITCHING, you live with. At NO POINT do you break up this starting 5 this year, OR NEXT YEAR. Not when you have 5 guys like this under your command through 2007.

Even if you're on the "sell high and dump Garland now" bandwagon right now, I'll ask you this: where are you going to get those 200 innings from? Not to mention the no-trade clause...

SweetnesSox
05-25-2006, 12:56 AM

soo that takes care of almost every start at home or against AL central opponents... Pablo's not an outfielder. keep him on the infield. or on the bench.

QCIASOXFAN
05-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Good God... imagine Crawford and Pods on the same team. Sick.

We'd have to give up some heavy duty pitching prospects for him though. I just checked my fantasy team just now and Crawford went 5 for 5 today, with 5 runs scored, a 2 run homer and 4 stolen bases:o:

gosox3072
05-25-2006, 01:06 AM

For the love of god...no

getonbckthr
05-25-2006, 02:22 AM
If you're talking about Vernon Wells or Carl Crawford, then you can say goodbye to a member of our starting 5. If either one of those players could be had for less than a member of our starting 5, then the GM on the other side of that deal would be on the unemployment line the very next day.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I'd rather keep the pitchers, thank you very much.

For the first time in my life, there is no Jerry Reuss, no Carlos Castillo, no Danny Wright, no John Snyder, no Jason Grilli, no Shawn Hillegas, et. al. taking the mound to doom us to defeat before the game even starts.

Whatever shortcomings there are in a lineup that, so far, has won at a .667 clip BECAUSE OF THIS STARTING PITCHING, you live with. At NO POINT do you break up this starting 5 this year, OR NEXT YEAR. Not when you have 5 guys like this under your command through 2007.

Even if you're on the "sell high and dump Garland now" bandwagon right now, I'll ask you this: where are you going to get those 200 innings from? Not to mention the no-trade clause...
I understand his value and such but with the starting 5 signed through 07 I believe how about Mccarthy for Crawford? Tampa is loaded with OF's but after Kazmir and Hendrickson their pitching is weak at best. As far as the long reliever we would lose by dealing Fingernails on a blackboard we could maybe make an attempt at a another starter and slide Garland to the pen until after the season then move Garland or for a lesser cost go after a guy like Rusch, Affeldt or Fogg for the LR role?

Banix12
05-25-2006, 03:21 AM
I understand his value and such but with the starting 5 signed through 07 I believe how about Mccarthy for Crawford? Tampa is loaded with OF's but after Kazmir and Hendrickson their pitching is weak at best. As far as the long reliever we would lose by dealing Fingernails on a blackboard we could maybe make an attempt at a another starter and slide Garland to the pen until after the season then move Garland or for a lesser cost go after a guy like Rusch, Affeldt or Fogg for the LR role?

I think I just threw up a little.

As for this whole business of Crawford, keep dreaming.

Crawford would certainly be nice but remember we pretty much knew Anderson was going to have his struggles this year, not this bad, but we didn't think he was going to be hitting like an all-star right off the bat. He'll likely get better and I don't see any real need to weaken the bullpen or rotation because we absolutely need Carl Crawford to replace the number 9 hitter.

Grzegorz
05-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Can Carl Crawford even play centerfield? I don't care how fast he is; speed in not the only determining factor when playing centerfield. Keep Anderson in center; I have no doubts he would be better defensively than Crawford.

As for dealing pitching, don't even think about trading McCarthy. How does "robbing Peter to pay Paul" help the White Sox?

Keep the pitching we'll need it!!!

Mack gets some swings, Anderson gets to work on his swing. I fully expect, or hope, that Anderson is back in center full time after the All Star break.

SBSoxFan
05-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Mack's gonna get plenty of starts when BA starts serving his suspension!

Keep the pitching we'll need it!!!
Apparently the Indians haven't figured this out yet.

Ol' No. 2
05-25-2006, 10:20 AM
I understand his value and such but with the starting 5 signed through 07 I believe how about Mccarthy for Crawford? Tampa is loaded with OF's but after Kazmir and Hendrickson their pitching is weak at best. As far as the long reliever we would lose by dealing Fingernails on a blackboard we could maybe make an attempt at a another starter and slide Garland to the pen until after the season then move Garland or for a lesser cost go after a guy like Rusch, Affeldt or Fogg for the LR role?How about Haeger for Crawford? Oh, wait. That would be ridiculous.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
I like Mackowiak as an occasional starter and mostly coming off the bench as a pinch hitter. I prefer that Anderson gets the majority - five or six per week - of the starts in center field.

Anderson may not hit as well as Mackowiak, but he's good enough to take away singles and extra base hits from the opposition. In my mind, taking away a hit is as good as getting a hit, taking away a double is as good as hitting a double, and taking away a triple is as good as hitting a triple. On a team whose pitchers are smart enough to rely more often on their defense to make outs (as opposed to always trying to avoid the ball hitting the bat at all costs and allowing stupid walks as a result), good defense makes the pitchers better! This is why a good defensive CF is so important, even more important than the batting average of the #9 hitter.

So, call me the anti-shoota when it comes to Anderson. Every hit he robs should be credited to his offensive stats! Every extra-base hit he robs should count toward his stats! In fact, every hit that another CF allows that Anderson would have caught for an out should be credited to Anderson's batting average. :redneck :tongue: :D:

I really didn't want to put that it teal, since I'm only using hyperbole to prove a point.

Ol' No. 2
05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
I like Mackowiak as an occasional starter and mostly coming off the bench as a pinch hitter. I prefer that Anderson gets the majority - five or six per week - of the starts in center field.

Anderson may not hit as well as Mackowiak, but he's good enough to take away singles and extra base hits from the opposition. In my mind, taking away a hit is as good as getting a hit, taking away a double is as good as hitting a double, and taking away a triple is as good as hitting a triple. On a team whose pitchers are smart enough to rely more often on their defense to make outs (as opposed to always trying to avoid the ball hitting the bat at all costs and allowing stupid walks as a result), good defense makes the pitchers better! This is why a good defensive CF is so important, even more important than the batting average of the #9 hitter.

So, call me the anti-shoota when it comes to Anderson. Every hit he robs should be credited to his offensive stats! Every extra-base hit he robs should count toward his stats! In fact, every hit that another CF allows that Anderson would have caught for an out should be credited to Anderson's batting average. :redneck :tongue: :D:

I really didn't want to put that it teal, since I'm only using hyperbole to prove a point.How many balls does Anderson get to that Mackowiak doesn't? Maybe one or two a week? There's no way that can make up for 100 pts difference in batting average. I'm not ready to give up on Anderson, but OTOH, I don't think you can send him out there 5-6 times a week, either.

I think Ozzie has the right idea. Pick your spots. Play him about half the time, selecting the most favorable matchups, and try to get him back on track. A smart player will learn even when he's not playing by watching how the other players approach their AB.

voodoochile
05-25-2006, 10:33 AM
How many balls does Anderson get to that Mackowiak doesn't? Maybe one or two a week? There's no way that can make up for 100 pts difference in batting average. I'm not ready to give up on Anderson, but OTOH, I don't think you can send him out there 5-6 times a week, either.

I think Ozzie has the right idea. Pick your spots. Play him about half the time, selecting the most favorable matchups, and try to get him back on track. A smart player will learn even when he's not playing by watching how the other players approach their AB.

Strictly guessing off the top of my head, I would estimate that Anderson has saved the team 20 runs this season and at least a couple of those have come in close games late.

Don't discount the defensive ability he brings to the table. Still, I do agree with the concept of a platoon because Mack is redhot right now.

Ol' No. 2
05-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Strictly guessing off the top of my head, I would estimate that Anderson has saved the team 20 runs this season and at least a couple of those have come in close games late.

Don't discount the defensive ability he brings to the table. Still, I do agree with the concept of a platoon because Mack is redhot right now.CF is not like an IF position. Anderson has 103 putouts total. Using Frater's method, we'd have to assume 10% of those would be balls that Mackowiak wouldn't get to in order to make the equivalent of 100 pts in batting average. I think you're being overly generous, but I'm just guessing off the top of my head, too.

Tragg
05-25-2006, 11:04 AM

I'm with Frater.
And if he learns to hit, what a player he'll be.

INSox56
05-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Mack is certainly red-hot and I believe that this plan Ozzie's had the last week or so has REALLY worked out. It seems that every recap you read, something offensive-related happened to involve Mackowiak which turned the game. A bunch of things might not have happened if we had anderson striking out or flying out. For example, last night Podsednik doubled home Rob with the tying run. He also added a run-scoring single in the sixth for insurance. Coulda been a different story just last night.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I was being over-the-top deliberately hyperbolic (hence the teal), but I think we all know that most CFs would not have caught Barrett's RBI, game-tying triple on Sunday. However, I do think Anderson would have caught it on the fly, thus ending the Cubs' rally and preserving the one-run lead. Then, Jenks comes into the game in the top of the ninth and the Sox almost certainly sweep the Cubs. No knock on Mackowiak, but Anderson clearly is better in the field.

Also, although it thankfully didn't cost the Sox the game last night, Dye and Mackowiak miscommunciated on the eighth-inning fly ball (that Dye failed to catch). Had it beeen caught, it would have been an RBI sac fly, but it would have meant there were two outs instead of one. I believe a more natural CF like Brian Anderson would have either caught the ball himself (after forcefully and clearly communicating to Dye that he would do so), or would have stopped his pursuit in order to give Dye more space to catch it, and would have clearly communicated that to Dye.

I have the utmost respect for Mackowiak and certainly am glad he tied the game with his 2-run homer on Monday night, but it's not a knock on Rob to say that Anderson is the better fielder, and that Anderson's so much better that his defense can (and does) prevent runs and can be the difference between close losses and close wins.

kwolf68
05-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Our next 5 games we will see 3 lefties (Lilly, Sabathia, and Lee)...This would be the opportune time for Anderson to start moving his average away from the .150 mark.

fuzzy_patters
05-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Our next 5 games we will see 3 lefties (Lilly, Sabathia, and Lee)...This would be the opportune time for Anderson to start moving his average away from the .150 mark.

This is a misnomer. Anderson has actually been better against right-handed pitchers. He is only 6 for 47 this year against lefties.

FielderJones
05-25-2006, 01:59 PM
This is a misnomer. Anderson has actually been better against right-handed pitchers. He is only 6 for 47 this year against lefties.

The word you want is misconception. He called Anderson by his correct name.

maurice
05-25-2006, 02:07 PM
we'd have to assume 10% of those would be balls that Mackowiak wouldn't get to

You're just looking at range. Don't forget Anderson's superior arm, and the fact that he probably wouldn't have spooked the crap out of Dye yesterday.
:wink:

I'd probably start Anderson 90% of the time. Mack would still get plenty of work: 10% of the starts + PH when we trail late + defensive replacement for Podsednik when we're up late.

kwolf68
05-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Anderson has actually been better against right-handed pitchers. He is only 6 for 47 this year against lefties.

Fair enough, but I'd rather you word it that Anderson has been worse against lefties. He has struggled badly with the bat.

I thought he was starting to get it going when he had some nice at bats in the Twinkie-series, but then games after that he just didn't look good. I like the kid and am pulling for him and believe he'll turn it around in the 2nd half, much like when Ventura started for us.

Chips
05-25-2006, 02:09 PM

And what is Jeremy Reed doing these days?

There is no need for Pablo to pay centerfield ever.

salty99
05-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Jerry Owens is sounding better and better every day

maurice
05-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Jerry Owens is sounding better and better every day

You might want to look up Owens AVE in AAA before committing to that position.

rowand33
05-25-2006, 02:52 PM
I feel obligated to repeat what a couple of other guys have already said....

I never want to see Pablo in CF. I can't believe the thought would even enter someone's mind.

However, I'm sort of shocked that nobody's suggest moving Pods to CF (something else that I really don't want to see happen).

salty99
05-25-2006, 02:53 PM
You might want to look up Owens AVE in AAA before committing to that position.

Sorry I was being facetious.

Ol' No. 2
05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
You're just looking at range. Don't forget Anderson's superior arm, and the fact that he probably wouldn't have spooked the crap out of Dye yesterday.
:wink:

I'd probably start Anderson 90% of the time. Mack would still get plenty of work: 10% of the starts + PH when we trail late + defensive replacement for Podsednik when we're up late.I'm as big a fan of defense as anybody. If we were talking about SS, where they get a lot of tough chances, it would be different. I just don't think there's enough tough chances in CF to make up 100 pts in batting average, even when you consider arm strength and everything else.

I've also never been a fan of playing through slumps. I don't think it helps and all you do is hurt the team. Sometimes it's better to sit once in a while instead of continually reinforcing what's causing your problem in the first place. A smart young player can learn a lot even when he's not playing.

Chips
05-25-2006, 03:40 PM
I feel obligated to repeat what a couple of other guys have already said....

I never want to see Pablo in CF. I can't believe the thought would even enter someone's mind.

However, I'm sort of shocked that nobody's suggest moving Pods to CF (something else that I really don't want to see happen).

Pods in center, no way, he doesn't have the arm strength.

What the hell is wrong with Mackowiak in center?

miker
05-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Pods in center, no way, he doesn't have the arm strength.

What the hell is wrong with Mackowiak in center?
Nothing if Brian is the late inning defensive replacement!

maurice
05-25-2006, 04:19 PM
I just don't think there's enough tough chances in CF to make up 100 pts in batting average, even when you consider arm strength and everything else.

This assumes that there will be a 100-point difference between now and the end of the season. IMHO, that's extremely unlikely. Mack's current AVE would be a career high. OTOH, it is probable that Anderson will hit significantly better than .167 from this day forward, especialy if he receives 90% of the starts.

Ol' No. 2
05-25-2006, 04:27 PM
This assumes that there will be a 100-point difference between now and the end of the season. IMHO, that's extremely unlikely. Mack's current AVE would be a career high. OTOH, it is probable that Anderson will hit significantly better than .167 from this day forward, especialy if he receives 90% of the starts.It doesn't assume that at all. It just assumes that for the next few weeks. I'm not advocating a permanent platooning - just for the next month or so to get Anderson back on track. IMO, 50% playing time is plenty. If he's still hitting .167 as they approach the All-Star break (which I consider unlikely, but it's possible), they probably have to send him down to AAA.

maurice
05-25-2006, 04:37 PM
IMO, 50% playing time is plenty [for the time being].

I say 90%, you say 50%. Let's just split the difference and make it 70%.
:D:

My real concern is that Ozzie will play him less than a righty platoon player (way less than 50%). In recent games, he wasn't substituted late to hit against a lefty reliever, even when the Sox had the game well in hand. It's hard to get your stroke back when you only get 2 AB / week, and they're both against a former Cy Young award winner. Lefty-righty obsessions aside, I'm not sure how that constitutes giving him "favorable matchups."
:angry:

Ol' No. 2
05-25-2006, 04:49 PM
I say 90%, you say 50%. Let's just split the difference and make it 70%.
:D:

My real concern is that Ozzie will play him less than a righty platoon player (way less than 50%). In recent games, he wasn't substituted late to hit against a lefty reliever, even when the Sox had the game well in hand. It's hard to get your stroke back when you only get 2 AB / week, and they're both against a former Cy Young award winner. Lefty-righty obsessions aside, I'm not sure how that constitutes giving him "favorable matchups."
:angry:We'll have to see how this plays out. He's probably going to get a 3-5 game "vacation" soon anyway. Ozzie said he's going to pick the spots in which he's most likely to be successful to get him back on track. Philosophically, I agree with that approach, but it will depend on how it translates into actual playing time. I think if they weren't committed to getting him back on track they'd be sending him down to AAA.

fuzzy_patters
05-25-2006, 05:28 PM
The word you want is misconception. He called Anderson by his correct name.

What do you expect? My wife was the english major.

batmanZoSo
05-25-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm as big a fan of defense as anybody. If we were talking about SS, where they get a lot of tough chances, it would be different. I just don't think there's enough tough chances in CF to make up 100 pts in batting average, even when you consider arm strength and everything else.

I've also never been a fan of playing through slumps. I don't think it helps and all you do is hurt the team. Sometimes it's better to sit once in a while instead of continually reinforcing what's causing your problem in the first place. A smart young player can learn a lot even when he's not playing.

I'm with you. Eventually you have to hit, period. He's clearly not ready to hit at the MLB level and he's not Willie Mays out there. Ride out Mackowiak as long as he's hot.