PDA

View Full Version : *official* Flubs V Marlins 5/24: LTP goes deep off Maddux!

JohnBasedowYoda
05-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Joe B hits a three run jack against Mad Dawg. Go Marlins!

MarySwiss
05-24-2006, 02:37 PM
LTP just went yard--three run HR putting Florida ahead of the Flubs 6-3.

Works for me! :cool:

HotelWhiteSox
05-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Was about to post that I had Borchard sighting. He plays for the Marlins now? Well he just killed one against the Flubs. 6-3 Marlins lead (Also, nice to see Olivo, still got that cannon, easily threw out Pierre)

Ol' No. 2
This was nothing but an insult to our intelligence. Trying to say that AJ was doing something threatening to Barrett is absolute nonsense. Barrett practically tackled him so he could punch him. This article was the worst thing I have seen in the Tribune sports section, and that is saying a lot.

Barrett and the Cubs claim they want this to go away. The best way to put this to rest would have been an apology from Barrett. Instead we get half-apologies and half trying to justify what he did. If they really want this to go away, they'd stop acting like the mopes in Washington and take responsibility for what they did.

The Cubs and the Tribune have sunk to new lows. Their team still tries to depend on a starter who can only go five innings, and their paper thinks it is a propaganda sheet. I have one question left: How can anyone be a Cubs fan? One more: How can anyone want to be a Cubs fan?If the Tribune corp stopped printing this tripe there would be nothing to distract the sheep from the fact that Joe Borchard (!) just hit a 3-run bomb off Greg Maddux to put the Fish ahead 6-3.

palehozenychicty
Man, last night, jacobs' blast off dumpster was beautiful. this is sublime!:D:

StillMissOzzie
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Joe Borchard hit a 3-run HR off of Maddux, Marlins now lead the pathetic Cubs 6 - 3!

FIGHTING FISH GOING FOR THE SWEEP!

SMO
:rolling: :roflmao:

MarySwiss
05-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Great minds think alike, Yoda; I started the same thread right when you did! :cool:

Mickster
05-24-2006, 02:39 PM
:worship: :worship: :LTP

Uncle_Patrick
05-24-2006, 02:41 PM
I see that the fight on Saturday and the victory on Sunday really fired the Cubs up. :rolleyes:

(is teal really necessary this time?)

PaulDrake
05-24-2006, 02:42 PM
That cute adorable team that everyone loves swept by the Marlins?

my5thbench
05-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Joe Borchard just hit a three run jack off of Maddux.....

Marlins 6 Cub 3

sorry I couldn't resist

chisoxfan79
05-24-2006, 02:45 PM
I was about to post it myself:bandance: Go Joe B

JohnBasedowYoda
05-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Great minds think alike, Yoda; I started the same thread right when you did! :cool:

True. I liked my original title better. But small price to pay for "an official thread."

voodoochile
05-24-2006, 02:46 PM
True. I liked my original title better. But small price to pay for "an official thread."

I'm just trying to stop the insanity. I've merged 4 threads and one post so far and wanted to be as clear as possible as to where to post the rest of this crap.

lakeviewsoxfan
05-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Just had to LOL watching Maddux beat the carp out of that water cooler. This team is pathetic.

patbooyah
was that maddux in the dugout hitting the water jug with a baseball bat?

chisoxfan79
What a ***HOLE Maddux is he ballbats the cooler and gets water all over somebody in the dugout.

lakeviewsoxfan
05-24-2006, 02:50 PM
LOL about Maddux beating the crap out of the water cooler

JohnBasedowYoda
05-24-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm just trying to stop the insanity. I've merged 4 threads and one post so far and wanted to be as clear as possible as to where to post the rest of this crap.

It's all good. We do seem to have a lot of people listening to the Sklubs game though....

patbooyah
05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
LOL about Maddux beating the crap out of the water cooler

i thought so. WCP. water cooler power.

ilsox7
05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
It's all good. We do seem to have a lot of people listening to the Sklubs game though....
It's also the only game on TV (for me at least) right now. This is my first chance watching this young Marlins team. And the only thing worse than the teams playing this game is the scorekeeper. Clear errors are being called hits.

DumpJerry
05-24-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry, who are the Cubs? Oh yeah, the team we took 2 of 3 from last weekend. Do they have any significance to us White Sox fans beyond that? Yes. We play them June 30-July 2. Beyond that, they are just one of the 29 other MLB teams. The only team whose score I get concerned about is the Tigers.

The other 29 teams in MLB are nothing but playground equipment for the White Sox to play on. Really.

patbooyah
05-24-2006, 02:53 PM

i like watching olivo- i really liked him with the sox.

Jerko
05-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Maddux beat the water cooler with a bat? Did it "turn" into him or something? Another warm and fuzzy moment from those adorable Cubbies. :rolleyes:

spiffie
05-24-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry, who are the Cubs? Oh yeah, the team we took 2 of 3 from last weekend. Do they have any significance to us White Sox fans beyond that? Yes. We play them June 30-July 2. Beyond that, they are just one of the 29 other MLB teams. The only team whose score I get concerned about is the Tigers.

The other 29 teams in MLB are nothing but playground equipment for the White Sox to play on. Really.
You thought MLB's blackout policy was tough, wait until DumpJerry gets in charge. It doesn't matter if there's only one game being played, you will NOT watch it unless it is the White Sox or maybe the Tigers. All other "games" will be ignored and no mention made of them unless in reference to previous or upcoming Sox games against said teams.

D. TODD
05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
I was at a local watering hole last night that had both the Sox and the scrubs games on. The Marlins had 7 rookies and a young .230ish catcher in their lineup. Besides Cabrera (who Wood still let hurt him with a homer) that was an almost total AAA lineup. A few loud Cubbie fans were talking ****, and to see that group of AAA guys walk off with the win provided a few more good laughs for me. Now mighty Joe Borchard adds to the AAA domination of the scrubs.:D:

One scrub fan was barking about how Thomas stuck it to Ozzie with his 2 homers. I merely said how do you figure the Sox won, he said that didn't matter Frank went off. Seemed like a typical Scrub fan reaction, winning doesn't matter the homers did, so I laughed and told him as much. There were some solid Cub fan types that quickly said to not take him as the norm. But all in all it was a humorous night throughout thanks to the scrubs and a few of their fans.:D:

Hangar18
05-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Just had to LOL watching Maddux beat the carp out of that water cooler. This team is pathetic.

I was at lunch just now ................. and the "great" announcing duo of Hughes and Santo, barely mentioned this just happened.

Hughes: Warm humid day here in Miami
Silence for a few moments
Santo: Hmmmmmm, Maddux is very upset
Hughes: It was an infield hit with 2 outs that led to FIVE runs.
Santo: Mmmmm, mmmm, mmmmmm

Had no idea what was going on .......Nice Job Ronnie

PatK
05-24-2006, 03:07 PM
I was at a local watering hole last night that had both the Sox and the scrubs games on. The Marlins had 7 rookies and a young .230ish catcher in their lineup. Besides Cabrera (who Wood still let hurt him with a homer) that was an almost total AAA lineup. A few loud Cubbie fans were talking ****, and to see that group of AAA guys walk off with the win provided a few more good laughs for me. Now mighty Joe Borchard adds to the AAA domination of the scrubs.:D:

One scrub fan was barking about how Thomas stuck it to Ozzie with his 2 homers. I merely said how do you figure the Sox won, he said that didn't matter Frank went off. Seemed like a typical Scrub fan reaction, winning doesn't matter the homers did, so I laughed and told him as much. There were some solid Cub fan types that quickly said to not take him as the norm. But all in all it was a humorous night throughout thanks to the scrubs and a few of their fans.:D:

What bar?

Irishsox1
05-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Why doesn't Barrett punch someone on the Marlins to fire up the Cubbies? It's worked pretty well since the Sox game.

D. TODD
05-24-2006, 03:09 PM
What bar? Little neighborhood bar in East Chicago called Railroad Tap.

HotelWhiteSox
05-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Viva Venezuela, 9-3 Marlins

This team is a joke if they don't fire Baker

NonetheLoaiza
05-24-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm sorry, but forgive me if I am dead wrong, but did I hear Na-Na-Na-Na as they were taking out that Novoa?

Irishsox1
What bar?

The Onion has a great article about the bar:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31255

DSpivack
Kasper and Brenly are hilarious. I'm only watching because I'm home and this is the best thing on.

After Dan Uggla tripled off the clock in left, Kasper and Brenly traded puns: "he really clocked that one"..."you gotta hand it to him on that hit"..."it's time for maddux to make a good pitch"..."you know, it is dylan's birthday, the times sure are a changin'"

Hilarious.

Bill Naharodny
05-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Those were not Na-Na's. Those were Novoas.

Uncle_Patrick
05-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Maddux beat the water cooler with a bat? Did it "turn" into him or something? Another warm and fuzzy moment from those adorable Cubbies. :rolleyes:
:moron

"What you Sox fans don't realize is that water cooler has a reputation as an instigator. It was the Eddie Haskell of water coolers. It had that beating coming for years. I suspect that Maddux will be receiving a few phone calls tonight from other players who have had run-ins with that water cooler. The water cooler is still the bad guy here."

DSpivack
05-24-2006, 03:15 PM

This team is a joke if they don't fire Baker

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. They're a joke either way.

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 03:17 PM

This team is a joke if they don't fire BakerBaker certainly doesn't help, but John McGraw couldn't do anything with this collection of bums.

ilsox7
05-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Baker certainly doesn't help, but John McGraw couldn't do anything with this collection of bums.

Baker actually fits in well with this team. With only one or two exceptions, no one on the team takes any responsibility for their actions and most of them really play like they don't care. Just like Dust Pan manages.

mrfourni
05-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Two ?'s

What is LTP?

&

Does anyone on that team deserve the automatic All Star Bid?

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2006, 03:23 PM

"What you Sox fans don't realize is that water cooler has a reputation as an instigator. It was the Eddie Haskell of water coolers. It had that beating coming for years. I suspect that Maddux will be receiving a few phone calls tonight from other players who have had run-ins with that water cooler. The water cooler is still the bad guy here."

Post of the ****ing week, Uncle_P.

:thumbsup:

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Two ?'s

What is LTP?

&

Does anyone on that team deserve the automatic All Star Bid?Ramirez and Uggla have been pretty impressive. And Cabrera. Willis is having a down year, but he's been there before. That's about it.

CHISOXFAN13
05-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Two ?'s

What is LTP?

&

Does anyone on that team deserve the automatic All Star Bid?

Light Tower Power

elrod
05-24-2006, 03:29 PM
LTP = Light Tower Power = Joe Borchard (traded to Seattle for Matt Thornton, then released and picked up by the Marlins).

TDog
05-24-2006, 03:31 PM

I wonder if this is better than losing 10-1.

elrod
05-24-2006, 03:31 PM
For once, the Trib's "From the Cubicle" is pure comedy.

voodoochile
05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Wow... Barrett really fired this team up. I mean they come out after the fight game, beat the defending world champs in a late inning come back to prevent a sweep and then they go to Florida to face the pathetic Marlins. Everything is looking up in flubbie land... Way to go Michael...:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 03:34 PM
For once, the Trib's "From the Cubicle" is pure comedy.

I regularly enjoy reading that feature. Some of the best writing from the Tribune!:cool:

Eighth inning

Not sure what's happening because WGN is busy showing Billy the Marlin have his picture taken. OK, I'm pretty sure Moehler didn't hit for himself to end the seventh. Just as I'm pretty sure there's a new pitcher. I just don't know who hit or who's on the mound. I do know Billy the Marlin is popular with the 500 people at the park. Chris Aguila pinch hit and Randy Messenger is the new pitcher. Messenger gets Walker and Barrett in order. Jones grounds to first.

It. Is. Alive. On comes Glendon Rusch, who gets Ramirez and Uggla to fly out. Former Brewer Wes Helms hits for Jacobs. Rusch fans Helms. And we move to the ninth--thankfully.

Marlins 9, Cubs 3

Ninth inning (of Dusty's days as Cubs manager?)

1951Campbell
05-24-2006, 03:35 PM

Uncle Patrick wins the thread.

HotelWhiteSox
05-24-2006, 03:47 PM
:sweep:

So, who will Ozzie be managaing against in July? Dusty, Lou Piniella, or Dick Pole?

palehozenychicty
05-24-2006, 03:49 PM

So, who will Ozzie be managaing against in July? Dusty, Lou Piniella, or Dick Pole?

bob buffoonly (or brenly)

elrod
05-24-2006, 03:55 PM
What a sad, pathetic team. I'm even more angry that we didn't sweep them now. This would have been seven in a row.

SOXPHILE
05-24-2006, 03:55 PM
HA HA HA HA ! I head on the Score they were losing 9-3, so I flipped over for the last 2 innings. Ron Santo sounds like he's ready to put the proverbial gun in the mouth. He barely said two words in either inning, and when he did to complain about a called strike, I swear, it sounded like his voice was cracking. :whiner: At the end, he had to name his player of the game. More comedy gold. Then he literally said he couldn't wait to get back to Wrigley, where they "would be with their Cubby fans", and could start a winning streak. He also said he hopes that maybe there would be some changes. (Dusty ? :o: )

D. TODD
05-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Wow, to get swept by that team, just wow. I think they only had 11 wins coming into this series or something like that. The cubs in three days gave them about 40% of their entire win total up to them coming into town then.:redneck :redneck :redneck

StillMissOzzie
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM

Wasn't that former White Sox member and affirmed CubKilla Miguel Olivo?

SMO
:gulp:

D. TODD
05-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Wasn't that former White Sox member and affirmed CubKilla Miguel Olivo?

SMO
:gulp:No, he had the night off. I can't recall the backups name that played in his place.

Baby Fisk
05-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Hot damn! Borchard was finally good for something! :rolling:

The 2006 Cubs are Imploding...

HotelWhiteSox
05-24-2006, 04:03 PM
bob buffoonly (or brenly)

Ah, forgot about Johnny Cakes

That clip of Maddux attacking the water cooler was hilarious, the guy next to him gets his pants all wet and acts like nothing happened and Maddux looks like he's straight out of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

daveeym
05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Hot damn! Borchard was finally good for something! :rolling:

The 2006 Cubs are Imploding...There fixed it for you.

Baby Fisk
05-24-2006, 04:07 PM
There fixed it for you.
Thanks, I wasn't sure how to graphically portray an implosion. Your version is better. :cheers:

kittle42
05-24-2006, 04:07 PM
This thread is embarrassing.

PatK
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
I'd kill to see the video of Maddux attacking the poor defenseless water cooler.

Hitmen77
05-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Anyone have a link to a picture of Maddux vs. the cooler?

TDog
05-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Apparently, Cubs brass has said it would be unfair to talk about Baker's contract status until the fall, considering the injury to their hitter, and the injuries they should have expected to their pitchers.

Could someone tell me again why Prior is injured this time?

Florida punked the Cubs again. They did it in 2003. They did it in the offseason by sending Pierre north for two pitchers -- one of whom would beat the Cubs twice, once as a starter and once throwing shutout relief. The Marlins could lose 110 games this year, but they took four of six from the Cubs.

Really, shouldn't we have seen this coming? Once again the world was fooled with all the preseason talk about now being the Cubs' turn.

depy48
05-24-2006, 04:14 PM
was that maddux in the dugout hitting the water jug with a baseball bat?

What we fail to realize here is that Maddux is doing the Cubs a favor by beating on the water cooler. Because Miami is close to Mexico, the water might be unclean, and the very cautious Greg Maddux only wants the most pure water for the Cubs.

Chip Z'nuff
05-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Great now all the trixie cub fans in the office are going to try to immitate maddux. I better stay out of the break room for awhile

SOXPHILE
05-24-2006, 04:18 PM

Yes it is. Guilty as charged. For me though, it's just a little comic relief on a boring Wednesday at work, while I wait for the Sox game to start, and hope the Royals can salvage one against the Tigers. (Is this really happening ? Am I really concerned about the outcome of a May Tigers-Royals game ???)

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 04:21 PM
This thread is embarrassing.Meh. It's not as if we're ignoring the Sox game to watch the Cubs. The sheer ineptitude of that entire organization is pretty entertaining.

WizardsofOzzie
05-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Meh. It's not as if we're ignoring the Sox game to watch the Cubs. The sheer ineptitude of that entire organization is pretty entertaining.

Agreed. I think as long as the sox game isn't on, its ok to have a thread ragging on the cubs game. That and the main reason the thread was started was a Borchard update. Its not like there's always a cubs thread when theres no sox game on.

SBSoxFan
05-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Agreed. I think as long as the sox game isn't on, its ok to have a thread ragging on the cubs game. That and the main reason the thread was started was a Borchard update. Its not like there's always a cubs thread when theres no sox game on.

At least it wasn't another Rowand thread. :rolleyes:

Hangar18
Stupid Water Cooler! Everyone knows Maddux is one of the nicest guys in the clubhouse, and he wouldnt just do that unless the Water Cooler said something. In fact, on the replay, you see Maddux just walking towards the Water Cooler, and it says something. Stupid Water Cooler didnt have to say anything, it instigated it. Look how it doesnt move out of Maddux' way. Ive been saying all along, the someone needed to go Off on that smug Water Cooler, just sitting there, all Orangey and Cool.

I'll be the Cubune shows tomorrow other incidents where the Water Cooler gets beat on for being so Smug and Orangey and thinks its so cool.

Baby Fisk

You can take your pal anywhere but out: linky (http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62100)

Seriously tho, that is one spectacular post by Hangar. :rolling: :cheers:

FedEx227
05-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Well I'm sure glad Barrett punched AJ it really energized all of the Cubs to suck major ass and lose to a barely Double A team!

WOO!

and for those that said its embarrassing, yes I do agree we Sox fans take too much time to bash the Cubs... but C'MON. they just lost to a team of misfits youngsters, a good majority of which came from they're own farm system. This is especially fitting after hearing all weekend that Barrett was a martyr of some sort and was the kickstart the Cubs need.

Now we can laugh up the Cubs failures and get ready for a big White Sox winner.

Chip Z'nuff
05-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Stupid Water Cooler! Everyone knows Maddux is one of the nicest guys in the clubhouse, and he wouldnt just do that unless the Water Cooler said something. In fact, on the replay, you see Maddux just walking towards the Water Cooler, and it says something. Stupid Water Cooler didnt have to say anything, it instigated it. Look how it doesnt move out of Maddux' way. Ive been saying all along, the someone needed to go Off on that smug Water Cooler, just sitting there, all Orangey and Cool.

I'll be the Cubune shows tomorrow other incidents where the Water Cooler gets beat on for being so Smug and Orangey and thinks its so cool.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::rofl mao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

LongLiveFisk
05-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Now they're saying Maddux was justified because he thought the water cooler was coming after him. :)

Kogs35
05-24-2006, 04:54 PM
No, he had the night off. I can't recall the backups name that played in his place.

the marlins backup is married to misty may of beach volleyball fame.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Many
are
culpable,
Few
accountable
in
losing

Vernam
05-24-2006, 04:59 PM
LTP = Light Tower Power = Joe Borchard (traded to Seattle for Matt Thornton, then released and picked up by the Marlins).And here I always thought it was Long Term Prospect. :wink:

Now we know what it takes to break Maddux's legendary composure!

Vernam

Hangar18
05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Now we know what it takes to break Maddux's legendary composure!

Vernam

For a guy who has been on this team before, and knows losing first hand,
he re-signs with this team, and they start losing again. What was he Expecting? Im starting to think Maddux isnt all that smart either ........

Baby Fisk
05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
What's most disappointing is that the Cub boards resemble a funeral home right now. It's bleak and hardly anyone is posting. There are no brawls erupting with comedic rage; everyone seems resigned to doom. Damn you monkeys, we want to be entertained before the Sox complete their sweep this evening!

EDIT: Okay, I found one funny thread amid all the hopelessness and despair. Here it is: linky (http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=32108)

At least one poster over there still has a good sense of gallows humour. (I promise no more posts about the Cubs today!)

:)

Chip Z'nuff
05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
For a guy who has been on this team before, and knows losing first hand,
he re-signs with this team, and they start losing again. What was he Expecting? Im starting to think Maddux isnt all that smart either ........

You nailed it right on the head, this temper tantrum has nothing to do with losing a lead to the Marlins, it has everything to do with him ending his career with one of the worst organizations in all of sports. I can just imagine the tongue lashing from his wife

I TOLD YOU NOT TO SIGN WITH THE CUBS.... WHAT WERE YOU THINKING... WE COULD HAVE GONE TO HOUSTON....

Imagine hearing this every morning before going to work.

TDog
05-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Meh. It's not as if we're ignoring the Sox game to watch the Cubs. The sheer ineptitude of that entire organization is pretty entertaining.

Last Saturday inspired me to root hard against the Cubs, a team I had considered irrelevant and not worth my attention.

I'm one of the few who wishes Joe Borchard well, too. I'm relieved Joe didn't make a move toward Barrett after hitting that home run.

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2006, 05:25 PM
I had Jury Duty at the Daley Center but got out of it very early...

:supernana:

...so I went to Union Station where I had time to kill until my train departed. I go to the Snuggery and check out the game. When I got there, the Cubs were up 3-1. One Budweiser later, I left and witnessed the Marlins explosion including the Maddux ball-bat of the cooler. A Cub fan at the bar was drinking beer on his own by the pitcher. Talk about drowning out his sorrows!

I have a feeling this could be the moment Dusty is let go. Getting swept by the Fighting Fish is not good, for them at least. Of course that is great for us!

viagracat
05-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Hate to see Maddux of all people lose it in public; he's normally cool. I can only imagine what's going on in the locker room...:o:

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Hate to see Maddux of all people lose it in public; he's normally cool. I can only imagine what's going on in the locker room...:o:

Seeing Maddux take it out on the water cooler, I could only imagine what Zambrano would do in the same circumstance.

Johnny Mostil
05-24-2006, 05:41 PM

Maybe, but not as embarrassing as four separate threads on this would be . . .

God bless the mods . . .

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Seeing Maddux take it out on the water cooler, I could only imagine what Zambrano would do in the same circumstance.

I'm pretty sure he would eat the cooler.

Chip Z'nuff
05-24-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure he would eat the cooler.

Do Venezuelan's usually eat a lot of large objects? Ozney & Ozzie Jr were going to eat and drink the cubs, Zombrano is going to eat the water cooler...

I'm not sure what my point is, I'll stop typing.

Hangar18
05-24-2006, 05:47 PM

Yeah, but lets not let the Water Cooler off the hook here. Everyone knows that Water Cooler is an arrogant piece of plastic, and it must have said something to start it. Everyone in baseball hates Water Cooler. Maddux shouldnt have done that, but at least the Water Cooler got bashed! Awesome!

Flight #24
05-24-2006, 05:50 PM
What's most disappointing is that the Cub boards resemble a funeral home right now. It's bleak and hardly anyone is posting. There are no brawls erupting with comedic rage; everyone seems resigned to doom. Damn you monkeys, we want to be entertained before the Sox complete their sweep this evening!

EDIT: Okay, I found one funny thread amid all the hopelessness and despair. Here it is: linky (http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=32108)

At least one poster over there still has a good sense of gallows humour. (I promise no more posts about the Cubs today!)

:)

Interestingly, they're citing a report from Jayson Stark that the Cubs are open to dealing Prior assuming they get a ton back for him "because they think he'll never be the consistent innings-eater he was drafted to be".

And the lemmings for the most part say "meh, I don't care". stage 5: Acceptance.

I'm not a fan of Wood or Prior, but IMO it would be abso-freakin-lutley hilarious for the Sox to get one or both and through actual.....you know....coaching turn them into solid contributors or better.

daveeym
05-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Interestingly, they're citing a report from Jayson Stark that the Cubs are open to dealing Prior assuming they get a ton back for him "because they think he'll never be the consistent innings-eater he was drafted to be". Does not compute?!?!?!?!

1. the Cubs are open to dealing Prior assuming they get a ton back for him
2. "because they think he'll never be the consistent innings-eater he was drafted to be."

What's wrong with this logic?

Dan H
05-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Wow... Barrett really fired this team up. I mean they come out after the fight game, beat the defending world champs in a late inning come back to prevent a sweep and then they go to Florida to face the pathetic Marlins. Everything is looking up in flubbie land... Way to go Michael...:rolleyes:

You mean Barrett hitting AJ didn't bring the Cubs together?

Hangar18
05-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Does not compute?!?!?!?!

2. "because they think he'll never be the consistent innings-eater he was drafted to be."

UH OH, it means theyve been talking to the Pirates again about a trade!

Layla
05-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Last Saturday inspired me to root hard against the Cubs, a team I had considered irrelevant and not worth my attention.

I'm one of the few who wishes Joe Borchard well, too. I'm relieved Joe didn't make a move toward Barrett after hitting that home run.

I agree.

In fact, I was feeling a bit sorry for the Cubs fans at work. It would seem like beating a dead horse if I started teasing them.

But last Saturday did for me.

Vernam
05-24-2006, 06:03 PM
I know everyone saw this in the Onion on April 13, but it's twice as funny now: Linky (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47426)

Dusty Baker Not Worried About Cubs' Hot Start

"Sure, other teams may look just as awful on paper, but the Cubs have all the intangibles—the inability to play as a cohesive unit, management that always seems to make the wrong moves, a storied history of crushing, tragic defeats despite favorable odds," said Chicago-area resident Matt Grant. "No winning streak can get that lose-at-any-cost mentality out of our Cubbies' heads."

I love the quote where Dusty says they'll be in third place by early May. He wishes!

Vernam

MadetoOrta
05-24-2006, 06:17 PM
UH OH, it means theyve been talking to the Pirates again about a trade!

If Hendry pulls a Prior for Zach Duke I'll scream.

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 06:18 PM
I know everyone saw this in the Onion on April 13, but it's twice as funny now: Linky (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47426)

Dusty Baker Not Worried About Cubs' Hot Start

"Sure, other teams may look just as awful on paper, but the Cubs have all the intangibles—the inability to play as a cohesive unit, management that always seems to make the wrong moves, a storied history of crushing, tragic defeats despite favorable odds," said Chicago-area resident Matt Grant. "No winning streak can get that lose-at-any-cost mentality out of our Cubbies' heads."

I love the quote where Dusty says they'll be in third place by early May. He wishes!

VernamI just checked the standings. Here's a sobering thought. There are only four worse teams in all of baseball. And they just got swept by one of them.:o:

ChiSoxLifer
05-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Really, shouldn't we have seen this coming? Once again the world was fooled with all the preseason talk about now being the Cubs' turn.

Feel free to exclude me from this prediction.

Now that the Marlins swept the cubs, I'm almost embarrassed the White Sox didn't do the same. I can hear cubs fans say it now, "The Marlins could beat the White Sox."

DrCrawdad
05-24-2006, 06:48 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2006-05/23585134.jpg
LTP as he touches them all after bombing one off Hall Of Famer, Greg Maddux.

The Cubune had this picture but NO picture of the glorious Maddux having (another) tantrum in the dugout.

chisoxfan64
05-24-2006, 07:01 PM
A couple of my best friends are Cub fans, I`m really starting to feel sorry for them.

miker
05-24-2006, 07:51 PM
A couple of my best friends are Cub fans, I`m really starting to feel sorry for them.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. You can try and save your friends, but in the end, it's their decision.

Banix12
05-24-2006, 08:11 PM
You nailed it right on the head, this temper tantrum has nothing to do with losing a lead to the Marlins, it has everything to do with him ending his career with one of the worst organizations in all of sports. I can just imagine the tongue lashing from his wife

I TOLD YOU NOT TO SIGN WITH THE CUBS.... WHAT WERE YOU THINKING... WE COULD HAVE GONE TO HOUSTON....

Imagine hearing this every morning before going to work.

I'm sure she's fine with it. No way another team was willing to give a pitcher going on 40 coming off a down year a backloaded contract that guaranteed him $9 million bucks in 2006. Especially when there really were no other teams seriously fighting with the cubs for his services that season.

champagne030
05-24-2006, 09:55 PM
I had Jury Duty at the Daley Center but got out of it very early...

:supernana:

...so I went to Union Station where I had time to kill until my train departed. I go to the Snuggery and check out the game. When I got there, the Cubs were up 3-1. One Budweiser later, I left and witnessed the Marlins explosion including the Maddux ball-bat of the cooler. A Cub fan at the bar was drinking beer on his own by the pitcher. Talk about drowning out his sorrows!

I have a feeling this could be the moment Dusty is let go. Getting swept by the Fighting Fish is not good, for them at least. Of course that is great for us!

Actually, Wednesday is $6.00 pitcher day and vs. a $3 16oz. draft, it's a far better deal to get the 'big cup'....More than one alone and.........you're a sorry flubs fan.

1951Campbell
05-24-2006, 10:10 PM

Yet wherever there are Cubs or split infinitives, there you are.

:gulp:

SoxSpeed22
05-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. You can try and save your friends, but in the end, it's their decision.One of my friends wants them to tank this year in order to induce changes, this is a low point for them, could get better or worse, we shall see.

Flight #24
05-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Does not compute?!?!?!?!

Same logic that says "Hey, Prior and Wood have GOT to be healthy this year, right? And Juan Pierre & Jacque Jones - if THOSE guys aren't due, then no one is!"

Tragg
05-24-2006, 11:11 PM

As Brenly explained, Maddux had that inning because he had gotten on base in the top of the inning (prefaced by the usual Brenly "I don't want to make excuses for him"")

Last start he was squeezed
This start he got on base.

Can the guy catch a break?

zmz723
05-24-2006, 11:12 PM

I almost was, but then they start on the white trash crap and I feel absolutely no pity for them at all. I still remember how cocky they were at the start of the 04 season.

I will never feel pity for the cubs or their fans again.

RadioheadRocks
05-25-2006, 12:24 AM
You gotta love all that talk after Sunday's game about how "this win at the Cell has the Cubs all fired up now...", especially seeing them get swept by the lowly Florida Marlins.

So much for being "fired up", I guess. :D:

Realist
05-25-2006, 08:52 AM
One of my friends wants them to tank this year in order to induce changes, this is a low point for them, could get better or worse, we shall see.

Watch 'em fire Hendry and Baker and hire Bob Pulford and one of the various Sutter brothers.

Hangar18
05-25-2006, 09:00 AM

Never .............. ever feel sorry for them. Everything they get, is them asking for it. Nobody told them they had to be Cub fans. They Foolishly chose their own fates

kittle42
05-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Never .............. ever feel sorry for them. Everything they get, is them asking for it. Nobody told them they had to be Cub fans. They Foolishly chose their own fates

That isn't true for a lot of people. I didn't really "choose" to be a Sox fan...it just kinda happened at a very young age.

Not all Cub fans are displaced Big Ten midwesterners who do it because "it's cool."

Ol' No. 2
05-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Never .............. ever feel sorry for them. Everything they get, is them asking for it. Nobody told them they had to be Cub fans. They Foolishly chose their own fatesIf the Sox sucked and the Cubs were winning World Series, would you switch?

Chip Z'nuff
05-25-2006, 11:02 AM
That isn't true for a lot of people. I didn't really "choose" to be a Sox fan...it just kinda happened at a very young age.

:?: Why are you a sox fan if you didn't choose to be?

itsnotrequired
05-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Not all Cub fans are displaced Big Ten midwesterners who do it because "it's cool."

I'm a displaced Big Ten midwesterner who moved here in 2001. I chose my horse in 2003 and rode it to the WS.

Good horsey.:cool:

Iwritecode
05-25-2006, 11:27 AM
One of my friends wants them to tank this year in order to induce changes...

That's never worked in the past. Why would it now?

Hitmen77
05-25-2006, 11:43 AM

I'm willing to bet that at least half the people at Wrigley are people who moved to Chicago as adults within the last 10 or 15 years and yes, they all chose to be Cub fans because it was cool.

There are tons of people at my work who fit that description. Not originally from Chicago, moved here and settled in or around Wrigleyville, and became Cub fans, and don't like the Sox.

I have heard so much anti-Sox crap from these people over the years that I have no pity for how much the Cubs suck now.

Even for those people who come from a family of Cub fans (thus, didn't really "choose"), I don't ever remember any Cub fan I know ever feeling sorry for the Sox when we were down. They were all crowing happily when it looked like the Sox were moving to Fla. in '88. Cub fans, even NOW, even after we won the freakin' World Series, they still go around saying that the Cubs are really the only team in Chicago.

No, uh-uh, no pity for them, they're getting what they deserve.