PDA

View Full Version : De Ja Vu: Wood may miss his next start..

Tekijawa
05-24-2006, 01:45 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060524&content_id=1469589&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Retire alread Kerry! Save your arm for signing for Cubs fans at Cubsfest for the rest of you life... then they can tell you they were there for your 20K game and how great you could have been!

palehozenychicty
05-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Yawn.

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 02:40 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060524&content_id=1469589&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Retire alread Kerry! Save your arm for signing for Cubs fans at Cubsfest for the rest of you life... then they can tell you they were there for your 20K game and how great you could have been!Hard to believe.

SOXPHILE
05-24-2006, 02:46 PM
(REMEMBER THAT 20 STRIKEOUT GAME HE THREW IN 1998 ?) It's just a small bump in the road on his way to being the first active player to be admitted to the HOF. (REMEMBER THAT 20 STRIKEOUT GAME HE THREW IN 1998 ? ) In fact, I think he tweaked his shoulder a bit during the ceremonial ground breaking in Cooperstown for the building of his own wing (REMEMBER THAT 20 STRIKEOUT GAME HE THREW IN 1998 ?) He'll be back before you know it. Once he's back, watch out ! Here come the Cubbies !!

JohnBasedowYoda
05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
I wish I had as much time to recover from my tasks at hand.

TDog
05-24-2006, 03:26 PM

Retire alread Kerry! Save your arm for signing for Cubs fans at Cubsfest for the rest of you life... then they can tell you they were there for your 20K game and how great you could have been!

Actually, Kerry Wood is making too much money not pitching to retire. He is pulling down $12 million this year (that includes $1 million of his $3 million signing bonus). At the rate he is going, that may end up being $1 million a game. This is the last year of his contract, but the team has an option for $13.5 million in 2007. If they don't pick it up (and some baseball people incredibly say they would be foolish not to, considering his potential), they have to buy him out for $3.

Wood could have chosen to become a free agent to get more than $13.5 million next year by pitching 400 innings over the 2006 and 2007 seasons. It doesn't look like that is going to happen. Financially, if he's not an idiot, he should be set for life. I should have visited the Kerry Wood booth on career day.

I know I couldn't pitch in the major leagues, but I would love for the Cubs to pay me $3 million anyway.

peeonwrigley
05-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Actually, Kerry Wood is making too much money not pitching to retire. He is pulling down $12 million this year (that includes $1 million of his $3 million signing bonus). At the rate he is going, that may end up being $1 million a game. This is the last year of his contract, but the team has an option for $13.5 million in 2007. If they don't pick it up (and some baseball people incredibly say they would be foolish not to, considering his potential), they have to buy him out for $3.

Wood could have chosen to become a free agent to get more than $13.5 million next year by pitching 400 innings over the 2006 and 2007 seasons. It doesn't look like that is going to happen. Financially, if he's not an idiot, he should be set for life. I should have visited the Kerry Wood booth on career day.

I know I couldn't pitch in the major leagues, but I would love for the Cubs to pay me $3 million anyway.
His contract status will be a very interesting subject. If I were Jim Hendry I'd buy him out with an understanding that he would sign a new, incentive-based deal that could pay in excess of the option year (b/c we all know that he won't meet said incentives). If he doesn't want it, good luck on the open market (Burnett got paid but has less injury history), and enjoy NY Carrie.

FedEx227
05-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Wait, Kerry Wood struck out 20 batters in 1998!?

What a feat!

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 03:48 PM
His contract status will be a very interesting subject. If I were Jim Hendry I'd buy him out with an understanding that he would sign a new, incentive-based deal that could pay in excess of the option year (b/c we all know that he won't meet said incentives). If he doesn't want it, good luck on the open market (Burnett got paid but has less injury history), and enjoy NY Carrie.What for? They need to close the book on Wood and move on. They have enough distraction with Prior. I have a hard time believing even Hendry would be dumb enough to bring Wood back for any amount of money.

LongLiveFisk
05-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Wow..."Groundhog Day" on the North Side!

Baby Fisk
05-24-2006, 03:55 PM
I wish I had as much time to recover from my tasks at hand.
HAHAHAHAHA! Well put.

http://www.tennessee.gov/tenncare/images/teen%20on%20phone.jpg
"Hello, boss manager? Yeah, I'm not going to be able to come to work tomorrow. I felt a twinge in my arm again. Not a pain, but a twinge. It's not stiff, but it's twingy. I checked with the doctor and he said I should take it easy before rushing back. Yeah, I know it's year-end and things are really busy over there, but remember the time I made 20 sales in one day? Yeah, that was freakin awesome wasn't it? Anyway, I'll give you a call back in July and let you know how I'm doing. Thanks, you're the best damn boss in the world. Peace bro. Ciao."

peeonwrigley
05-24-2006, 04:12 PM
What for? They need to close the book on Wood and move on. They have enough distraction with Prior. I have a hard time believing even Hendry would be dumb enough to bring Wood back for any amount of money.
I should have labeled that what Jim Hendry will do, not what what I would do. I started my post in one frame of mind, got up for a while and finished it in another.

And I do think Hendry is dumb enough to bring Wood back.

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 04:18 PM
I should have labeled that what Jim Hendry will do, not what what I would do. I started my post in one frame of mind, got up for a while and finished it in another.

And I do think Hendry is dumb enough to bring Wood back.Well, the papers keep reporting that they're going to announce an extension for Baker any day now. Maybe they're waiting for a big winning streak to announce it so they don't look like complete chumps.:rolleyes:

Anyway, if they're dumb enough to extend Baker, I guess anything is possible.

WizardsofOzzie
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Well, the papers keep reporting that they're going to announce an extension for Baker any day now. Maybe they're waiting for a big winning streak to announce it so they don't look like complete chumps.:rolleyes:

Anyway, if they're dumb enough to extend Baker, I guess anything is possible.

I actually hope they give baker an extension. What could be better than that moron taking the cubs into the first century long title drought in sports history?

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 04:37 PM
I actually hope they give baker an extension. What could be better than that moron taking the cubs into the first century long title drought in sports history?The interesting part is that they're obviously waiting for a more opportune time to announce it. They can't very well announce it right after getting their asses handed to them by the Marlins - they'd look like even bigger buffoons. If they're waiting for a winning streak, it might never happen.

SoxFanPrope
05-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Last night, I was watching "The Sports List,"(I've repeatedly said I hate this show, but I watch for my favorite butterflyer) anyways they were doing the Top Ten Shortstops of all time. I believe Cal Ripken was second, and as they introduce him they always have people talk about him. They actually had Kerry Wood talk about how great his durability was, and that he always showed up and did things to take care of his body.

SOXPHILE
05-24-2006, 05:45 PM
I actually hope they give baker an extension. What could be better than that moron taking the cubs into the first century long title drought in sports history?

I've been saying this for over a year. I wish I may I wish I might, I sure do hope the Cubs give Baker a 10 year extension tonight.

miker
05-24-2006, 06:59 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4403&d=1148184224
Grinder Ball Rule #28: Always give fans something they can take away from the game....Like the other team's pride.
Sweet signature, WizardsofOzzie!