PDA

View Full Version : How will the Cell be remembered in 50 years?

WinOrDyeTrying
05-24-2006, 12:07 PM
How do you think the Cell will be remembered in 50 years? Personally, I think it will age into a "classic" ballpark. Hopefully one that hosted many a world series, also. What do you guys think? Will it be even standing in 50 years? will it be remembered as a mistake?

BainesHOF
05-24-2006, 12:29 PM
It opened as a terrible park, but has been converted into a great park. I love it now. To me, it looks better than most of the newer parks. The retro look was nice the first or second time, but it's now a cliche. Many of the retro parks look vaguely like each other. The Cell is unique, and has a nice, open-air, naturalness about it. So many of the new parks look like someone tried too hard to make it look cool, and the new park in St. Louis looks surprisingly generic.

I think the Cell's reputation will only improve with age.

C-Dawg
05-24-2006, 12:30 PM
I think it will be remembered as a clean and uncluttered design, free of gimmicks. Oh, and multiple world series too.

Tekijawa
05-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Home of the 2005-2009 World Champions! An 2012-2018 World Champoins and 2020-2035 World Champions and...........

ondafarm
05-24-2006, 12:44 PM
I think it will be remembered for being the first park where new stanchions had to be erected to post all the world champions banners.

Minnie Me
05-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Minnie Me still misses the old park.

WinOrDyeTrying
05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Minnie Me still misses the old park.
Comiskey Park II?

Chip Z'nuff
05-24-2006, 01:21 PM
the park will be converted to blue seats to comemerate 40 straight years of playoff appearances in 2045

JohnBasedowYoda
05-24-2006, 01:23 PM
It will be remembered as either the Hall of Greatness or House of Awesomeness.

MrRoboto83
05-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Flub fans will be going to games in a "ball mall" Sox fans will be going to games in a "classic" stadium

RKMeibalane
05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
The House that Thomas Built

GregoryEtc
05-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Here's how it will be remembered...

New Comiskey Park became U.S. Cellular Field in 2003, which then became Sprint Field in 2008 when Sprint bought out U.S. Cellular. Soon thereafter, cell phone companies became obsolete with the invention of "nanocom" and Sprint filed for bankrupcy. The stadium was renamed White Sox Park until the death of the greatest owner in franchise history. It was then permanantly renamed Reinsdorf Field.

Erik The Red
05-24-2006, 01:46 PM
The House that Thomas Built I didn't know he was THAT good in the minors!

GregoryEtc
05-24-2006, 01:54 PM
The House that Thomas Built

I actually heard the other day that Thomas had 2 more home runs in USCellular as a White Sox than Ruth had in Yankee Stadium.

But in fairness, it would probably be fairer to call it the house that Ivan Calderon built since Frank Thomas was but a glint in Jerry's eye when the plan was approved. :wink:

pudge
05-24-2006, 02:02 PM
I probably shouldn't post this because I tend to take a lot of heat for it, but being an out-of-stater who's spent a lot of time at some of the newer parks on the west coast, there is no comparison; The Cell is not a fabulous place to watch a game IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love the upgrades, and I highly prefer it over the Urinal, and the atmosphere has been amazing, especially with how loud the fans were in the post-season. But the love in this forum for The Cell is clearly a biased opinion. If you could take the Giants park and put it on the shores of Lake Michigan, or Petco, or Safeco, or Camden or the Pirates new field and then put the World Champion Sox in there, the experience would be even that much better. If you lived in a town with one of these parks, I think you might agree. But hey, this is the home of totally biased Sox talk, so it's all good! :cool:

Baby Fisk
05-24-2006, 02:04 PM
a) The place where the Yankee championships record was overthrown by the most dominant sporting franchise of the 21st century.

b) The place where that squirrel attacked an umpire once on Tuesday mullet fight night, or something like that.

soxruleEP
05-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I probably shouldn't post this because I tend to take a lot of heat for it, but being an out-of-stater who's spent a lot of time at some of the newer parks on the west coast, there is no comparison; The Cell is not a fabulous place to watch a game IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love the upgrades, and I highly prefer it over the Urinal, and the atmosphere has been amazing, especially with how loud the fans were in the post-season. But the love in this forum for The Cell is clearly a biased opinion. If you could take the Giants park and put it on the shores of Lake Michigan, or Petco, or Safeco, or Camden or the Pirates new field and then put the World Champion Sox in there, the experience would be even that much better. If you lived in a town with one of these parks, I think you might agree. But hey, this is the home of totally biased Sox talk, so it's all good! :cool:

What exactly are its shortcomings: the fact that every seat has a fine view of the field? That the concourses are wide and open? That ihere is plenty of parking? I could go on, and ball parks are a matter of taste, but however nice those parks are, any advantage they may have over the Cell is proably related to their location by the ocean.

cleanwsox
05-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Home of the 2005-2009 World Champions! An 2012-2018 World Champoins and 2020-2035 World Champions and...........

I love rebuilding plans that only take 2-3 years.

:smile:

buzz90
05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
The Cell is THE ballpark in Chicago!

Great food, nice views, and clean.

:gulp:

BV2005
05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
In 50 years the area around us cellular will be rebuilt into the new hot place in the city, wrigleyville will be obsolete because the cubs haven't won anything in 150 years and 90 % of the city are sox fans anyway.

batmanZoSo
05-24-2006, 02:26 PM
What makes Yankee stadium a classic ballpark? Here's a clue: it's not design.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 02:31 PM
I love rebuilding plans that only take 2-3 years.

:smile:

Nah, those are just the years where they don't play the WS due to labor strikes.

:tongue:

Chip Z'nuff
05-24-2006, 02:37 PM
I probably shouldn't post this because I tend to take a lot of heat for it, but being an out-of-stater who's spent a lot of time at some of the newer parks on the west coast, there is no comparison;

A retro park has never hosted a world series champion :tongue: (AZ not exactly retro IMO)

steveironcity
05-24-2006, 02:40 PM
A retro park has never hosted a world series champion :tongue: (AZ not exactly retro IMO)

What!!!!!???? A Warehouse isnt retro?:tongue:

miker
05-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Here's hoping civilization is still around in 50 years so the Cell will be remembered...

Red Barchetta
05-24-2006, 08:44 PM
It seems as though the new ballparks built over the last five years, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Cincinnati all have the same basic design. The three-tier upper decks stretch further away from the field and the outfields are all open to expose the individual city landmarks. I'm not saying they are bad, just similar. As a result, I think they lose their individuality.

I like the rennovated Cell 100% more than the original Comiskey II. I still think they could make some inexpensive further improvements, however our park is now becoming more unique with each new ballpark built.

However as much as the Cell has been improved, I still wish the SOX would have built in the SW loop with our great skyline in the background, however hindsight is 20-20.

thomas35forever
05-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Here's hoping civilization is still around in 50 years so the Cell will be remembered...

Are you predicting an asteroid or something to hit Earth during the next half-century?

Anyway, it'll be one of the best ballparks in the majors by then. It already is.

Hitmen77
05-24-2006, 10:10 PM

ummm, the title of the thread is How will the Cell be remembered in 50 years. Just because other cities have stadiums that may be nicer than the Cell, does that mean that this place isn't and will never be special to Sox fans and that it won't amass memories over the next 50 years? :?: Please explain your logic.

HomeFish
05-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I am ashamed at how arrogant my fellow Sox fans have become over a single World Series.

We are in second place right now. Let's actually have a division lead again before the dynasty talk, eh?

mike squires
05-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Remember back in the 80's when the sun was setting and all you saw was bright green and yellow poles and a very cool scoreboard with the arches? For the first time I saw a shot on TV and thought to myslef, I am happy with this ball park. It looked nice. One I could maybe even feel nostalgic about in 20 or 30 years. Hope I'm still around!:smile:

Norberto7
05-24-2006, 10:48 PM
I agree with the posters who have noted that the park is now unique for its simplicity. The "retro" look is now beyond cliche. With I think 19 of the other 29 stadiums newer than U.S. Cellular all including some sort of asymmetrial/quirky theme, there really is no peer for the park. Unlike so many of the new ballparks, there is no other park you can confuse U.S. Cellular with. I think it shall age nicely.

IronFisk
05-24-2006, 11:34 PM
It seems as though the new ballparks built over the last five years, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Cincinnati all have the same basic design. The three-tier upper decks stretch further away from the field and the outfields are all open to expose the individual city landmarks.

Well....Pittsburgh's (PNC) is actually a two-deck stadium, with phenominal views. But I digress...

The CELL is a great place, which is umpteenth times more fan-friendly than when it first opened (ugh!). Sure you can nit-pic, like not having a view of the downtown, but nobody critizes the Urinal for "turning away" from downtown. Hmmm.

I liked one person's assessment of the rapid gentrification of the area west of the Cell. Have you seen those new homes being built? It's only a matter of time when talk will turn to converting those empty lots into parking garages and/or underground lots and constructing a highly-desirable mixed-use development all around the park. Who knows, maybe they'll even give the site of Old Comiskey a more proper memorial.

That's what I envision in 50 years - a fully developed area anchored by one of the finest ballbarks in baseball - hopefully updated with brick facia on all exposed concrete and of course, RoboAndytheClown!!!

lostletters
05-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Well....Pittsburgh's (PNC) is actually a two-deck stadium, with phenominal views. But I digress...

The CELL is a great place, which is umpteenth times more fan-friendly than when it first opened (ugh!). Sure you can nit-pic, like not having a view of the downtown, but nobody critizes the Urinal for "turning away" from downtown. Hmmm.

I liked one person's assessment of the rapid gentrification of the area west of the Cell. Have you seen those new homes being built? It's only a matter of time when talk will turn to converting those empty lots into parking garages and/or underground lots and constructing a highly-desirable mixed-use development all around the park. Who knows, maybe they'll even give the site of Old Comiskey a more proper memorial.

That's what I envision in 50 years - a fully developed area anchored by one of the finest ballbarks in baseball - hopefully updated with brick facia on all exposed concrete and of course, RoboAndytheClown!!!
There is rapid gentrification of the area. It will begin to consume both sides of the park in five years. Reinsdorf once said in 5-10 years the area around the cell would be more desirable then wrigleyville. He should be trusted with regards to this, he made his fortune in real estate.

With that said, when the renovations are complete, the park will be one of the best in the major leagues. As it was stated the vintage ball park look is overdone. While it was nice for Camden Yards, it grows old in time.

The Cell may be the perenial "modern" ballpark. But the changes have made it a classic in its own right. The fandeck, the views, the roof, the fundimentals area. I think the green seats just help give it the little bit of class it may have been missing, but everything else about the park is great.

As far as the park not facing downtown, WHO CARES. The park makes you focus on the product on the field, not the view. As long as the product on the field is great, so is the park.

Also from a ballplayers perspective this is probably one of the best parks to play in. The drainage system is great, and the park is easily one of the most safe in baseball. Compare that to the urinal which many players have openly complained about because of the safety issues it presents.

Also my favorite National League park is FAR from a vintage baseball park. The Padres park, like the cell, is a modern, fan friendly park, with lots of nice little touches.

dcb56
05-25-2006, 01:23 AM

Mixed-use development.... *shudders*

The parking lots around the Cell need to be left alone because tailgating is one of the more enjoyable aspects of the whole White Sox experience. I'd be incredibly disappointed if they sacrificed it to create Wrigleyville South.

Steelrod
05-25-2006, 05:35 AM
It will be remembered as the park that the media forced to remove 5,000 seats, just before they were really needed. The action and entertainment is on the field, not the stands. Seats were always comfortable with a good view of the field. Food is the best. Plenty of parking and EL service.
I, for one don't miss the old park. Never found romance looking around a pole to see the game. History is being built now. Plus, I'll be dead in 50 years. Let me know how this works out when you join me!

mwc44
05-25-2006, 06:31 AM
... Never found romance looking around a pole to see the game.

Perhaps you were looking around the wrong pole? :cool: