PDA

View Full Version : Billy Koch article

soxtalker
05-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Not sure where this belongs, but I thought it would be of interest. There have been stories popping up on the news wires the past few weeks about a strange disease (Morgellons). Just saw a news story (http://www.ktvu.com/news/9264350/detail.html) that mentioned that Billy Koch has it, and it supposedly started before he came here. In addition to the weird skin symptoms (e.g., fibers growing out of the skin), it supposedly has neurological symptoms.

rdwj
05-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow, that's scary. Billy always seemed like a good guy. I really hope the docs get this thing figured out for him, his family and others suffering with it.

Baby Fisk
05-24-2006, 12:13 PM
That is disturbing. I hope they all get better.

INSox56
05-24-2006, 12:19 PM
HE DESERVES IT! No wait...seriously though. That's really scary and really really odd that it's so concentrated. Wish him and his family the best that's for sure.

SweetnesSox
05-24-2006, 12:29 PM
fibers growing out of the skin

I thought that was just his beard...

Feel better, Billy.

soxtalker
05-24-2006, 12:36 PM
One of the reasons I posted this are the neurological symptoms. As the many recent articles have attested, this has been a relatively rare disease (though I believe that they have historical records that might indicate it was present even centuries ago). But after the weird skin symptoms, they (http://www.morgellons.org) also mention cognitive symptoms and fatigue.

IIRC, we attributed Koch's drop off in performance to overuse in Oakland. He'd had some control problems, but he was successful in Oakland. I could see where these symptoms could wreak havoc with a pitcher's control.

SOecks
05-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Wow, that sounds like a terrible and disturbing disease to have. I can't imagine looking down and seeing stuff come out of my skin like that. I hope they can find a cause and a cure soon.

INSox56
05-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Oh YEAH it could really effect the pitching, no doubt.
Another article points that a lot of the patients reported as having the disease also have/had lyme disease. Which effects muscles and especially the brain. He really could be goin nuts.

vegyrex
05-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh man, I have a cousin in Texas who been bothered by a strange kind of itching. His doctors have told him its psychological, but that hasn't helped him any. I've heard that he's even talked about suicide. I have to contact my relatives about this and see if he's noticed any of those strange filaments coming out of his skin.

Thanks for posting!!

PatK
05-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Oh man, I have a cousin in Texas who been bothered by a strange kind of itching. His doctors have told him its psychological, but that hasn't helped him any. I've heard that he's even talked about suicide. I have to contact my relatives about this and see if he's noticed any of those strange filaments coming out of his skin.

Thanks for posting!!

I was just reading a thread about an outbreak of it in Texas
http://www.mysanantonio.com/global-includes/printstory.jsp?path=/news/metro/stories/MYSA051106.morgellans.KENS.32030524.html

gbergman
05-24-2006, 02:22 PM
jesus thats scary, no wonder he struggled so much

daveeym
05-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Uh oh, it's the black oil.:mg:

ChiSoxGirl
05-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Uh oh, it's the black oil.:mg:

An X-Phile are we? Don't worry... I am, too! :wink:

daveeym
05-24-2006, 03:18 PM
An X-Phile are we? Don't worry... I am, too! :wink:Yeah, couldn't stand to watch it when it was on, got into it in syndication.

getonbckthr
05-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Thats really unfortunate for Billy and explains his struggles. On a side note now people can forget about Billy Beane getting the best of KW in that deal since Billy has a mysterious medical problem.

soxtalker
05-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Thats really unfortunate for Billy and explains his struggles. On a side note now people can forget about Billy Beane getting the best of KW in that deal since Billy has a mysterious medical problem.

Considering the reactions that many doctors have had to people with this disease, it sounds like it is quite possible that nobody (except him and his family) would have realized that he had a medical problem at the time.

getonbckthr
05-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Considering the reactions that many doctors have had to people with this disease, it sounds like it is quite possible that nobody (except him and his family) would have realized that he had a medical problem at the time.
Exactly nobody knew he was sick not Kenny Not Beane. They thought it was healthy Koch for healthy Foulke when apparently it wasn't.

vegyrex
05-25-2006, 01:26 AM
I was just reading a thread about an outbreak of it in Texas
http://www.mysanantonio.com/global-includes/printstory.jsp?path=/news/metro/stories/MYSA051106.morgellans.KENS.32030524.html

Thanks!!!

I talked to my aunt Mary and she's going to talk with my cousin. The last time I was him was in '91 at my grandfather's funeral. He was fine then. I think around 2000 is when I started to hear about his strange itching. From what I hear his skin is badly scared. Things have been so bad he locked himself in his room and rarely leaves it. His mother is ill. She under went by-pass surgery a few months ago. This has cause even more stress on him. He relies on her a lot. :(:

chi_guy
05-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Former Oakland A's pitcher Billy Koch and his family has mysterious Morgellons Disease

http://www.ktvu.com/news/9264350/detail.html

Law11
05-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Man thats is scary... Especially when there are no answers..

rdwj
05-25-2006, 08:49 AM
This thread already exists in Talking Baseball

chi_guy
05-25-2006, 09:46 AM
This thread already exists in Talking Baseball

Oh well, I'm too busy to check the other boards. This is the only place I read.

cleanwsox
05-25-2006, 09:53 AM

Good attitude.

daveeym
05-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Good attitude.Queue the "I'm a pretty big deal," quote from someone.

spiffie
05-25-2006, 12:49 PM
http://images.hollywood.com/images/large/l_1749726.jpg

I'm kind of a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahagony.

whitesoxfan1986
05-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Apparently there is a neurological part of this disease, and that explains why he sucked here. In the article Billy said he noticed the problem when he was in Oakland. Maybe we need to cut him and KW slack on this one.

cleanwsox
05-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Apparently there is a neurological part of this disease, and that explains why he sucked here. In the article Billy said he noticed the problem when he was in Oakland. Maybe we need to cut him and KW slack on this one.

Do you think Oakland knew about this before they traded him and if so, is there anything we can do to bring back Foulke??

daveeym
05-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Do you think Oakland knew about this before they traded him and if so, is there anything we can do to bring back Foulke?? Right after we take back Sirotka.

Malgar 12
05-25-2006, 06:51 PM

In the face of this disease that seems like a very trivial concern.

chi_guy
05-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Good attitude.

Sorry, It's the truth. Work is crazy lately.

Murphy10
05-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Get better soon Billy, best of luck to his family

Pasqua's Posers
06-04-2006, 06:41 PM
An X-Phile are we? Don't worry... I am, too! :wink:

"Scully, grab the vent!!!!"

Count me in along with the other X-Files junkies...;)