PDA

View Full Version : Best Pierzynski Moment?

Baby Fisk
05-24-2006, 11:01 AM
In the space of less than two full seasons, A.J. Pierzynski has created a lasting legacy as a Sox player. Which is his best moment as a Sox so far?

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 11:02 AM
In the space of less than two full seasons, A.J. Pierzynski has created a lasting legacy as a Sox player. Which is his best moment as a Sox so far?How can anything be bigger than the strikeout that wasn't in the ALCS? It pretty much defined "turning point".

batmanZoSo
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
He'll be remembered for Game 2 for a long, long time. A close second would probably be getting punched in the face last Saturday. Those would be my favorites in order, too.

minutia
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
For me, definatley when he hit that game winning homer against the Dodgers last June 18th. It was turn back the clock night and they had gone into the inning down, they got 2 men on base and A.J. steps up and on his last strike hits a 3 run bomb to left centerfield to win the game. That place went up for grabs. My brother, my mother and I were jumping up and down screaming. I did not have a voice for the rest of the weekend. We floated out of that park. It was truely great.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-24-2006, 11:05 AM
the funniest thing that i've seen him do was earlier this year when he fouled a ball and it went by his feet. out of nowhere, he started hopping around on one foot (even though the ball wasn't even close to hitting him), and the ump gave him the base. who the heck even thinks about doing that?

chisoxfanatic
Going to 1st on the dropped third strike in Game 2 of last year's American League Championship Series. It has great meaning to me, as I was at that game (the most memorable game I've EVER been to in any sport). I will never forget how nearly everyone remained in the stadium even a half hour after that game ended! AJ was awesome!

rdwj
It's really amazing how many memorable moments he's been involved in already. I think he may already have a better highlight reel than Fisk put together in his time here. He just needs a double play at home and a motorcycle and he's done.

WizardsofOzzie
05-24-2006, 11:06 AM
For me, definatley when he hit that game winning homer against the Dodgers last June 18th. It was turn back the clock night and they had gone into the inning down, they got 2 men on base and A.J. steps up and on his last strike hits a 3 run bomb to left centerfield to win the game. That place went up for grabs. My brother, my mother and I were jumping up and down screaming. I did not have a voice for the rest of the weekend. We floated out of that park. It was truely great.

That was the best game i've ever seen in person. Sure as hell shut up those dodgers fans in front of us that were yelling how good Brazoban was :D:

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 11:07 AM
the funniest thing that i've seen him do was earlier this year when he fouled a ball and it went by his feet. out of nowhere, he started hopping around on one foot (even though the ball wasn't even close to hitting him), and the ump gave him the base. who the heck even thinks about doing that?I hate when players on other teams do that.:cool:

soxinthecity
05-24-2006, 11:07 AM
The Dodger game no doubt.http://www.fishforums.net/style_emoticons/default/good.gif

Railsplitter
05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I have to go with the run for first in the ALCS. AJ knows the dropped third strike rule, and even before the incident, he would tag the batter on a third strike call, just in case.

minutia
05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
That was the best game i've ever seen in person. Sure as hell shut up those dodgers fans in front of us that were yelling how good Brazoban was :D:

We were surronded by Dodgers fans, well actually these guys wore a Cubs caps and Dodgers jerseys. The really expensive jerseys. They were giving us grief all night and we did not even say anything to them. So when the Sox came back, my brother informs them that what they were seeing on the field is what a major league baseball team is capable of, not that they would know. They ran like roaches in a bar when the lights go on.

Minnie Me
05-24-2006, 11:17 AM
My fav is "Steppin On Boone" The looped video was awesome and I used the photo as a screen saver all during the pennant race and post season last year.
However, I agree that the baseball history books will immortalize the dropped third strike and it will end up defining AJ's place in those history books for years. I wonder how Bill James would rank AJ all-time now.
In my lifetime the Sox have had only three catchers worthy of All-Time status:
Sherm Lollar
Carlton Fisk
AJ
(John "Honey" Romano) gets honorable mention because before he got fat he was one fine player.
(Smokey Burgess) gets honorable mention because he was the best damn pitch hitter I ever saw and got better the fatter he got (better than Hairston Sr.)
Props also to (Mike Squires) member of the exclusive left handed catcher club.

0o0o0
05-24-2006, 11:24 AM
The bat flip homer vs. the Dodgers. Honorable mention to, not the collision at home, but Aj's reaction as he was walking to back to the dugout and once he got into the dugout.

D. TODD
05-24-2006, 11:27 AM
My fav is "Steppin On Boone" The looped video was awesome and I used the photo as a screen saver all during the pennant race and post season last year.
However, I agree that the baseball history books will immortalize the dropped third strike and it will end up defining AJ's place in those history books for years. I wonder how Bill James would rank AJ all-time now.
In my lifetime the Sox have had only three catchers worthy of All-Time status:
Sherm Lollar
Carlton Fisk
AJ
(John "Honey" Romano) gets honorable mention because before he got fat he was one fine player.
(Smokey Burgess) gets honorable mention because he was the best damn pitch hitter I ever saw and got better the fatter he got (better than Hairston Sr.)
Props also to (Mike Squires) member of the exclusive left handed catcher club. The stepping on Boone is the only negative out of the bunch for me. Leaping into Jenks arms is my fondest because it meant he was the catcher for the team that finally won it all! Dropped third strike probably the most memorable

vegyrex
05-24-2006, 11:30 AM
AJ has a lot of "moments" to choose from. :D:

I hope he has a lot more. :smile:

jenn2080
05-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Def got to go with the drop third strike followed by Barrett incident. ....then jumping in Bobbys arms.

whitesoxwilkes
05-24-2006, 11:49 AM
The walk-off against the Dodgers. It was his "coming out as a badass" party, so to speak.

spiffie
05-24-2006, 12:27 PM
:walkoff:
The only moment so cool it has its own WSI tag.

Layla
05-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Dropped third strike. Keeping his calm during the ALCS, knowing the rules, and not giving a damn what anybody says about it.

GregoryEtc
05-24-2006, 02:05 PM
I keep telling my wife that AJ is rapidly becoming a White Sox legend and he's only been with the team for a season and a third.

I hope he's with the team for a long time to come. It's for all the plays above that Sox fans just seem to connect with AJ. He's a hard-nosed, blue collar player and (probably most importantly in fans' minds...) he's frigging hilarious! If he keeps it up, he may have a statue out on the concourse some day. Heck, they may have to rename the Dan Ryan the Pierzynski Freeway at this rate!

ChetChat
05-24-2006, 02:09 PM
I keep telling my wife that AJ is rapidly becoming a White Sox legend and he's only been with the team for a season and a third.

I hope he's with the team for a long time to come. It's for all the plays above that Sox fans just seem to connect with AJ. He's a hard-nosed, blue collar player and (probably most importantly in fans' minds...) he's frigging hilarious! If he keeps it up, he may have a statue out on the concourse some day. Heck, they may have to rename the Dan Ryan the Pierzynski Freeway at this rate!

and it helps that his name ends in "ski" :cool:
(Chicago has the world's largest population of Poles outside of Warsaw)

SOXintheBURGH
05-24-2006, 02:16 PM
The walk off versus LA was the moment I knew in my heart we were winning the World Series.

But I never laughed harder in my life than the first time I saw the Boonewalk. :cool:

russ99
05-24-2006, 02:21 PM

Best game I ever saw also. Though Monday night's A's game was pretty close. :D:

peeonwrigley
05-24-2006, 02:21 PM
:walkoff:
The only moment so cool it has its own WSI tag.

Iguchi had some pretty money bat flips in the Saturday Cub game. None, however, appear to immortalized quite like this one.

On topic, got to be Game 2 vs LAA. A close 2nd for me is the Boone Walk.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-24-2006, 02:28 PM
I voted bat flip. That produced the coolest picture ever.

HotelWhiteSox
05-24-2006, 02:34 PM
ALCS is too obvious, so I pick stepping on Aaron Boone, that was hilarious, like a defining moment type of deal

NonetheLoaiza
05-24-2006, 03:20 PM
How bout his entire attitude and way he handles the staff and brings the team together? That gets my vote.

BadBobbyJenks
05-24-2006, 04:13 PM

I agree completely, I was fortunate enough to be in attendance a section over from where the homer landed. Just a weird game, with freddy being awful in the first then dominant for the next 7 and the feeling in the crowd was we are going to win this game. When AJ's walk off hit the seats the place erupted and I dont think anyone in the outfield left until sweet home chicago was done.

MeteorsSox4367
05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
As others have said, the HR against the Dodgers was the best of many great Pierzynski moments. Add in the picture with the batflip and the scornful look on his face, it's just perfect. As someone who's half a Polack, making Pierzynski even better is the fact that he's one of ours.

Blob
05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Gotta be the ALCS for me!!

robiwho
05-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I had to go with the walk-off homer. I was at that game and it was the moment when I first thought the team could go all the way -- and the moment AJ became my favorite player.

getonbckthr
05-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Crashing into Barrett. Not because Barrett is a Cub, or because he is a whiney little Bitch, but because its something I have been begging one of the two teams in this city to do for a while. I can remember so many times Thomas and Lee coming to home and being out by a mile and simply sliding or running into a tag instead running the catcher over. THANK YOU AJ JOB WELL DONE.

kevingrt
05-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Great poll, tough choice between the two LA teams. Ended up picking the Halos game because it was the ALCS.

digdagdug23
05-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Does anyone have a linky to footage of the infamous step on Boone?

SoxEd
05-24-2006, 06:46 PM
I also went with the ALCS game - like others have already siad, it was a demonstration of a player who knew EXACTLY what the situation was, and was aware that his opposite number had made an exploitable error.
And who exploited it to maximum advantage for his team.

The Walk-off Homer against the Dodgers is undoubtedly a fantastic moment (as the tag so amply demontrates), but the 'Base on Strikes' is priceless.

It also just occurred to me that, as an ex SF player, and the guy who put the first nail in the Angels' ALCS coffin, and once we factor in the walk-off against LAD, how 'popular' do we reckon AJ is in LA?

DickAllen72
05-24-2006, 07:03 PM
For me, A.J.'s home run against the Dodgers was the defining moment of the 2005 regular season.

It was then I became convinced that the Sox were going all the way in 2005.

:supernana:

hold2dibber
05-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I picked "other" - with the "other" being his 1st inning HR off Clement in Game 1 of the ALDS last year. Even after the Sox scored their first two runs in that inning, I was a nervous wreck. Somehow, that home run, which gave the Sox 5 runs in the very 1st inning of the '05 playoffs, made me think this year was different, particularly with the nightmare of the '00 playoffs still etched into my mind. That was the most exhilerated I have ever felt at a baseball game in my life and the roar of the crowd was deafening. Pure magic.

miker
05-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I must say he is rapidly rising to the top of my all-time favorite Sox catchers list.

boiler up
05-24-2006, 08:03 PM

i was there, and i agree

zach074
05-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Walk off vs the Dodgers. For three reasons: I was there, it was the first time in my life i felt like we could win it all, and that bat flip was sweet!

Red Barchetta
05-24-2006, 09:36 PM
I had to go with the walk-off homer. I was at that game and it was the moment when I first thought the team could go all the way -- and the moment AJ became my favorite player.

I agree. I love this guy and the attitude he brings every day. Not sure what happened in Minnesota to get him shipped out, however I wonder why AJ couldn't get along in Barry's SF clubhouse. I don't think AJ has much patience with super egos. :D:

JUribe1989
05-24-2006, 09:44 PM
The walkoff against the Dodgers was the best because he was in a huge slump and it was an amazingly exciting game. We were down to our last out still down 3-1. Big hits by Everett and Rowand led to that huge HR. He knew he had won the game right when he hit it.

Harry Potter
05-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Dodgers game walk-off

Frontman
05-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, the Dodger walk off and the dropped 3rd strike obviously are very memorable moments, but I loved watching the WS DVD where he states, "I wanted to make sure I jumped into Bobby's arms versus him jumping on me. I'm big, but he's way bigger," or something to that effect. Shows the man's sense of humor even in the biggest moment of his career.

Although the Dodger moment is classic AJ. He might be a jerk, but he's our jerk! Got to love him for his swagger. :)

Front

awesomefan
05-25-2006, 01:36 AM
It has to be the dropped third strike because it was World Series related. I love how it shows how very smart AJ is when it comes to baseball rules & how very dumb Josh Paul was for not tagging AJ.

Unbelievable how everyone but Sox fans thought AJ was some kinda bad guy when it was sooooo clear to any real baseball fan how stupid Josh Paul looked the a-one class fool.:angry: Josh tried to defend himself but you know he had to be very very very embarassed. I can't believe anyone would buy his book that he is writing about baseball....it should be titled "I'm made the dumbest play in baseball ever":redface:

Chips
05-25-2006, 03:01 AM
I vote this poll sucks, I liked his grand slam against the Rangers.

cloftus7609
05-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Oh how easily you all forget the greatest moment of my life time, when the Sox won it all! True, not A.J.'s best moment, but it was the best moment.

slobes
05-25-2006, 12:26 PM
This is an awesome poll. I think that around the baseball world, he is still known for his dropped 3rd in the ALCS. I, however, will never forget his walk off HR on throwback day.

nedlug
05-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Very difficult for me to not vote for the flipped bat against the Dodgers (best regular-season moment of the year for me, as well as the best pic of the year), but stealing first base was absolutely huge...

WizardsofOzzie
05-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Best game I ever saw also. Though Monday night's A's game was pretty close. :D:

Lol and that was the 2nd best game i've ever seen

GregoryEtc
07-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I think its time to update this poll!

Before all is said and done, AJ should have a statue on the concourse and no Sox should ever wear #12 again. He's a big time player and Sox fans will never forget any one of these moments.

MEMO TO KENNY, LOCK HIM UP FOR LIFE. I NEVER WANT TO SEE AJ IN ANOTHER UNI!!!!

Greg1983
07-01-2006, 08:45 PM
I think its time to update this poll!

Before all is said and done, AJ should have a statue on the concourse and no Sox should ever wear #12 again. He's a big time player and Sox fans will never forget any one of these moments.

MEMO TO KENNY, LOCK HIM UP FOR LIFE. I NEVER WANT TO SEE AJ IN ANOTHER UNI!!!!

Dear GregoryEtc,

Great names think alike!!! I came here this evening to write about the exact same topic!!!

This might sound ridiculous, but I honestly believe AJ deserves a retired number after just the season and a half he's given us thus far. I will never be able to look at a White Sox player wearing #12 again without thinking of him.

Okay, maybe it's too early for a retired number. Perhaps I should have used the teal. But just think...an RBI double in Game 3 of the World Series didn't even make the original poll!

And for my money, the best moment is still last year's walk-off against the Dodgers. But the entire list is impressive...almost ridiculous.

Would it be sacrilege if I invoked Ray Schalk as a comparison? Something to think about over celebratory drinks this evening...:gulp:

Greg1983

MDF3530
07-02-2006, 06:02 AM
I voted for AJ railroading Barrett. I like to see that in baseball.

Frontman
07-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Did you see AJ's "hey, that's a big homer, I need to batflip" moment? He was about to just set the bat down, picked it up, and got a half a flip out of it. I found that pretty funny, considering that swing wasn't a home run whack and that ball sailed.

Front

CaptainBallz
07-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I see myself old and gray, telling my kids and grandkids about this era in Sox history. The crazy Venezualan manager, the heroes that were Paul Konerko and Joe Crede, and the catcher, underneath the skin of everybody who wasn't a Sox fan, loved to get hit by pitches and hit walkoff homers even if it's the top of the ninth, A.J. Pierzynski. He's definitely a name that will remain in Sox lore for a long, long time.

DieTrying79
07-03-2006, 03:36 AM
I see myself old and gray, telling my kids and grandkids about this era in Sox history. The crazy Venezualan manager, the heroes that were Paul Konerko and Joe Crede, and the catcher, underneath the skin of everybody who wasn't a Sox fan, loved to get hit by pitches and hit walkoff homers even if it's the top of the ninth, A.J. Pierzynski. He's definitely a name that will remain in Sox lore for a long, long time.

Man, you got me all nostalgic there!

I have to say ALCS game 2, because of the sig. of that game, and the fact that I saw the play in person. AJ is just amazing all around, all of those moments are classics.