PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a sellout?....And this isn't an attendance thread, I'm just confused

WSox8404
05-24-2006, 10:45 AM
I was at the game last night up in the left field corner row 19 in the upper tank. Thats all I could get for four as of 3 in the afternoon. Anyway, the game was announced as a sellout, but many empty seats could be seen. Around me there were at least 15 spots where there were 5 or 6 empty seats next to each other. So my questions are, what are the guidelines of a sellout? Is it once you cannot buy 4 tickets next to each other a sellout? 3? 2? Because there clearly were tickets available especially when they announced the attendance....38,860 or something. And they just didn't give those tickets away, because of the amount of empty seats. Like I said this is not an attendance thread. I really don't mind how many people actually go to games. Sometimes, as in the case yesterday, I wish there were less people there so I could actually get some decent seats. Thank God I got the Ozzie plan for starters though. Anyway, discuss.

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 10:52 AM
I was at the game last night up in the left field corner row 19 in the upper tank. Thats all I could get for four as of 3 in the afternoon. Anyway, the game was announced as a sellout, but many empty seats could be seen. Around me there were at least 15 spots where there were 5 or 6 empty seats next to each other. So my questions are, what are the guidelines of a sellout? Is it once you cannot buy 4 tickets next to each other a sellout? 3? 2? Because there clearly were tickets available especially when they announced the attendance....38,860 or something. And they just didn't give those tickets away, because of the amount of empty seats. Like I said this is not an attendance thread. I really don't mind how many people actually go to games. Sometimes, as in the case yesterday, I wish there were less people there so I could actually get some decent seats. Thank God I got the Ozzie plan for starters though. Anyway, discuss.When no more tickets are available for sale, it's a sellout. There are lots of reasons for empty seats. Announced attendance does not include comp tickets given away to various groups, of which there are always a few thousand.

chisoxfanatic
05-24-2006, 10:54 AM
When no more tickets are available for sale, it's a sellout. There are lots of reasons for empty seats. Announced attendance does not include comp tickets given away to various groups, of which there are always a few thousand.

That, plus season ticket holders sometimes can't go to a game and can't find anyone to use their tickets.

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 11:05 AM
That, plus season ticket holders sometimes can't go to a game and can't find anyone to use their tickets.A lot of those UD seats were bought as season tickets so that people could get playoff tickets last year. I'm sure a lot of those go empty on many games.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Announced attendance does not include comp tickets given away to various groups, of which there are always a few thousand.

This is the key statement and explains why sellouts range from 38,000 to 40,000+.

cbotnyse
05-24-2006, 12:43 PM
does anyone know the attendance for game 1 and 2 for the WS? Those 2 games had to be at capacity.

ewokpelts
05-24-2006, 12:45 PM
all playoff games are "paid" admissions...even if bernie mac is given a ticket gratis...someone paid for it..therefore, attendance was closer to 41k.
Gene

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 12:46 PM
does anyone know the attendance for game 1 and 2 for the WS? Those 2 games had to be at capacity.

41,206 and 41,432, respectively.

The real kicker was the first game of the ALDS. Attendance is listed at 47,717 but I have a hard time believing that...

EDIT: mlb.com lists it as 40,717 but whitesox.com has 47,717. E-mail Brooks.

DeadMoney
05-24-2006, 12:47 PM

Yep, beat me to it.

If you click on the link and the games individually you'll find them at the bottom.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ps/y2005/index.jsp

buehrle4cy05
05-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Don't forget the people that leave their seats to sit on the fan deck, go to the fundamentals deck, or just walk around for the game.

cbotnyse
05-24-2006, 12:53 PM

The real kicker was the first game of the ALDS. Attendance is listed at 47,717 but I have a hard time believing that...

EDIT: mlb.com lists it as 40,717 but whitesox.com has 47,717. E-mail Brooks.

that I dont understand....why is game 1 less than game 2??.....I know 200 or so people, including myself, that would have killed to be at game 1.

mwc44
05-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Don't forget the people that leave their seats to sit on the fan deck, go to the fundamentals deck, or just walk around for the game.

... or to go partake in the red triangle. :wink:

UofCSoxFan
05-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Keep in mind a few rows of seats were added down the line for the playoffs. Current capacity is 40,615 according the whitesox.com.

I had a SRO ticket last night....we snuck into the season ticket holder section near home plate, assuming these seats went to 81 game holders and hoping they'd skip out on a Tues game against a sub .500 team. After being "bumped" 3 times in the first 2 innings we gave up and walked around the outfield till the mass exodus after beer sales ended in the seventh, and snagged some seats down the left field line.

SRO tix went for 27 bucks yesterday...but thats the price for a World Series.

HomeFish
05-24-2006, 11:28 PM

Game 1 was not at capacity. A majority of seats in my row of the UD were empty.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-24-2006, 11:31 PM

This is one of the dumbest things you've ever written... no small feat.

kittle42
05-24-2006, 11:36 PM

You're a glass is half-empty type, aren't you?