PDA

View Full Version : Adding Capacity

A.T. Money
05-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Anyone think it may be worth the Sox's while to add a couple thousand seats back into the capacity? We have a pretty small venue given our place in the market. I think with us getting better crowds, I think we can maybe add that deck in right field and have a capacity around 45-46,000.

I never thought we'd end up with a smaller house than the Cubs.

cubsuck
05-24-2006, 12:45 AM
What about throwin' a fan deck or something of the like in RF? I mean you could make those some really cool seats. You'd be able to see the skyline from there too...

WSox8404
05-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Well you figure the games against the Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals, and Houston would have no problem selling out with the added tickets. Thats in addition to Opening Day and various games throughout the year such as Sat nights against Minnesota and Cleveland and now Detroit. I think it would be a great idea.

NSSoxFan
05-24-2006, 12:50 AM
I like it the way it is.

SOecks
05-24-2006, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't want them to add any capacity because I love the feel of the park as it stands. Not too big but still great seats everywhere and close atmosphere, especially compared to how it was in the early 90's. If anything they can keep adding amenities and new ways to make more money per fan, but I definately don't want more seats. Right now I'm just waiting for them to finish the green seats throughout the stadium :cool:

Max Power
05-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Creating ticket scarcity is good for business (see: Cubs, Chicago).

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 12:51 AM
This idea is for the birds. The Sox spent a small fortune ripping out seats and aren't about to plunk out the dollars to put in more. They would need another major corporate sponsor since the state sure as heck wouldn't pay for it.

It is only a matter of time before the Sox are back in the crapper and the Sox will have trouble filling the seats they already have, let alone additional ones.

Attendance thread.

Chips
05-24-2006, 12:54 AM
This idea is for the birds. The Sox spent a small fortune ripping out seats and aren't about to plunk out the dollars to put in more. They would need another major corporate sponsor since the state sure as heck wouldn't pay for it.

It is only a matter of time before the Sox are back in the crapper and the Sox will have trouble filling the seats they already have, let alone additional ones.

Attendance thread.

Exactly, putting in more seats would be the biggest waste of money since I tricked out my big wheel

mike squires
05-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Na, just keep adding those couple of rows in the post season and World Series. That would be fine with me! :cool:

South Side
05-24-2006, 01:00 AM

Attendance thread.

What is that suppose to mean? What a horrible prediction...

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 01:04 AM

:rolleyes:

Chips
05-24-2006, 01:04 AM

Probably that every team goes through phases when they suck.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Probably that every team goes through phases when they suck.

You've always hated the Sox and any success they may have.

Minimum 8-peat for the WS...

HomeFish
05-24-2006, 01:12 AM
The last thing the Sox want to do at this point is decrease ticket scarcity. If anything, they will remove even more seats.

CHISOXFAN13
05-24-2006, 01:15 AM
The last thing the Sox want to do at this point is decrease ticket scarcity. If anything, they will remove even more seats.

LOL, whatever.

South Side
05-24-2006, 01:17 AM

Oh, settle down. I am fully aware the Sox will not be in the best team in baseball for the next 50 years but geez, this is the beginning of something really great for this organization... let's not rush to the unevitable.

CLR01
05-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Maybe we can get Darley Stable to sponsor it and name it the "Beating a Dead Horse Party Porch".

Fuller_Schettman
05-24-2006, 01:38 AM
It's not like a team has ever won like 26 World Championships or even won their division for 15 years in a row!

Who the hell do we think we are anyway?

UofCSoxFan
05-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Well after getting to the park and finding only standing room available I (and my back) would prefer more seats. That being said, it is true that ticket scarcity is ideal, espeically in a place like Chicago where the weather is so unpredictable. Ticket scarcity means fans need to buy seats well in advance, which causes to large ticket sales even when the weather is crappy on game day. If fans are able to pick and choose on gameday if they want to go, bad weather can lead to poor sales. In extreme cases, such as the Cubs or Red Sox, when a majority of games almost sell out or sell out before the season starts, ticket scarcity can also act as protection against a crappy team. I mean if the Cubs had a 60,000 seat stadium, allowing fans to have a wait and see approach to buying seats, they'd be selling about 10,000 seats a game right now. This is what killed in Indians in old Cleveland Stadium. Add this to the fact that 38,000 in a 38,000 seat stadium looks a lot better on tv (and makes the game seem like the place to be) than 38,000 looks in a 50,000 seat stadium (see some games at RFK or Oakland).

While come playoff time you'd love to see excess capacity, I think for the long hall the stadium is good were its at. That being said, 15 years from now, when those impressionable 5 to 12 year olds who are now watching the sox kick butt and the cubs suck grow up and start having families and money to spend on their own, then we may want to add some capacity.

Still, not a bad probelm to have.

anewman35
05-24-2006, 07:45 AM
I agree with some others here - the new trend is keeping tickets scarce. It's the same reason why Oakland has closed down their entire upper deck this year, and they swear they won't open it, even for sellouts or the playoffs. They don't want people thinking tickets are easy to get.

skobabe8
05-24-2006, 09:12 AM
You cant just go around adding seats or ripping them out based on a 1 or 2 year attendance trend.

MrRoboto83
05-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I have never liked the idea of having any kind of Home Run Porch in the outfield. I think this would ruin the wonderful site lines of the lower reserve seating areas. I think there is plenty of seats in the ballpark, it doesn't need to be any bigger.

mccoydp
05-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Creating ticket scarcity is good for business (see: Cubs, Chicago).

Exactly: they also create ticket scarcity to drive up ticket prices and gouge fans.

Cellview22
05-24-2006, 09:59 AM
It's too early to add more seats, but I can see it happening in 2 or 3 years when the entire season has been sold out. We're actually not that far off from that happening. The next non-sellout we're likely to see will be in mid-August vs KC. And I wouldn't bet against US Cellular selling out for the rest of the season.

Baby Fisk
05-24-2006, 10:06 AM
You cant just go around adding seats or ripping them out based on a 1 or 2 year attendance trend.
Exactly. The Sox are suddenly a hot ticket because they brought Chicago its first baseball championship in 9 decades. Casual fans are jamming the place, but they are also fickle and will inevitably move on to the next exciting thing. Let's revisit this notion if tickets are still in such demand after the eight-peat.

soxfan13
05-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Maybe we can have the rest of the games and postseason in Milwaukee to add a couple thousand seats!!

Hangar18
05-24-2006, 10:28 AM
I have never liked the idea of having any kind of Home Run Porch in the outfield. I think this would ruin the wonderful site lines of the lower reserve seating areas. I think there is plenty of seats in the ballpark, it doesn't need to be any bigger.

The PlayPen currently ruins the sightlines from the LF bleachers.

Palehose13
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Maybe we can have the rest of the games and postseason in Milwaukee to add a couple thousand seats!!

Here, let me fix that for you.

:redneck

WizardsofOzzie
05-24-2006, 10:58 AM

Attendance thread.

How bout the miller lite bleachers? No? Come on it worked so well for the cubs!!!

rdwj
05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing something in right eventually - but it's not time yet - not even close. After another 5 years of total domination - perhaps

Black Jack 29
05-24-2006, 11:47 AM
While we're on the topic of expanding capacity, could somebody hatch a plan to expand/revamp the bathrooms at the ballpark? I've been at the park for many Openers, Sox/cub games, playoffs, you name it. Last Friday's game were some of the longest bathroom lines I've ever seen. Sucks to have 200 hundred people waiting in a line where only 7 people can relieve themselves at a time. Could we get any state money to do that?

Chip Z'nuff
05-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Could we get any state money to do that?

Blackjack, No, the state will not sponsor improvements to the park, we need a corporate sponsor for the bathrooms....

I think the Trib would make a fine sponsor!

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2006, 11:55 AM
While we're on the topic of expanding capacity, could somebody hatch a plan to expand/revamp the bathrooms at the ballpark? I've been at the park for many Openers, Sox/cub games, playoffs, you name it. Last Friday's game were some of the longest bathroom lines I've ever seen. Sucks to have 200 hundred people waiting in a line where only 7 people can relieve themselves at a time. Could we get any state money to do that?
As unpopular as this idea may be, I actually prefer the trough system that they have at Wrigley. I ****ing hate standing in line to take a whizz and have 15 people in front of me, and then 15 people behind me as I try not to freeze up.

:duck:

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 11:59 AM
As unpopular as this idea may be, I actually prefer the trough system that they have at Wrigley. I ****ing hate standing in line to take a whizz and have 15 people in front of me, and then 15 people behind me as I try not to freeze up.

I never stand in a line more than 4 deep in the Upper Deck.:cool:

The outfield concourse bathrooms are the worst, especially on full game days. All those extra people milling around the concourse really puts a strain on the handful of bathrooms back there.

Tekijawa
05-24-2006, 12:18 PM
How about some roof top bleachers on that IIT dorm right behind center?

MrRoboto83
05-24-2006, 12:35 PM
The PlayPen currently ruins the sightlines from the LF bleachers.

I know it, it pisses me off that I can not see the scoreboard from those sections. Imagine what a huge home run porch would do, not to mention more beams to hold the thing up.

ewokpelts
05-24-2006, 12:47 PM
The PlayPen currently ruins the sightlines from the LF bleachers.how so? it's above the concourse...NOT the seats.....if anything, it's good for rain delays....
Gene

ewokpelts
05-24-2006, 12:48 PM
I know it, it pisses me off that I can not see the scoreboard from those sections. Imagine what a huge home run porch would do, not to mention more beams to hold the thing up.i think the beer stands and pottery block the scoreboard more thasn any "playpen"...besides, you're at a ballgame...watch the game NOT the scoreboard.

Gene

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 12:50 PM
I know it, it pisses me off that I can not see the scoreboard from those sections. Imagine what a huge home run porch would do, not to mention more beams to hold the thing up.

That's why I sit in the Upper Deck, first base side. Full view of all scoreboards.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Even if the Sox wanted to change the capacity (and I don't think they do) there is no more money left from the 80 million U.S. Cellular gave for the naming rights.

Either the Sox would have to find another sponsor or they'd have to pay for it themselves.

Lip

skobabe8
05-24-2006, 01:20 PM
That's why I sit in the Upper Deck, first base side. Full view of all scoreboards.

Same here!

Contrary to popular belief, I think its better in the UD (between the baselines) than alot of seats in the lower deck. The fundamentals deck (or 'playpen') doesnt necessarily block any bleachers, but definately the left field reserve area in the corner behind the bullpens.

The only kind of addition I would like to see is a re-vamp of the scoreboard area. My idea includes an area behind the scoreboard to be developed into a brewpub/team store/hall of fame that provides for another entrance to the ballpark. A bigger, wider scoreboard could also lead to a slight expansion of the popular fandeck. The whole new area would be centered and themed around what once was, should be, and still can be the most beloved and revolutionary scoreboards in all of sports. Something to make Bill Veeck proud.

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2006, 01:51 PM
I read somewhere that throghout the league, teams are having a more difficult time renting/leasing skyboxes/luxury suites. Does anyone know if the Sox are in the same predicament?

If so, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to choose a particular row of unleased skyboxes and convert them into a bar/lounge type area: something different from the stadium club, perhaps on the order of a sports bar where ticket-holding adults could enjoy the game without having to buy a membership and would just have to pay, say, a $5 cover charge to enter. Or, perhaps even just a restaurant (like a TGI Fridays or Bennigans), decked out with TVs and Sox stuff, where fans could have dinner and drinks before, during or after a game.

paciorek1983
05-25-2006, 12:19 AM
I read somewhere that throghout the league, teams are having a more difficult time renting/leasing skyboxes/luxury suites. Does anyone know if the Sox are in the same predicament?

If so, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to choose a particular row of unleased skyboxes and convert them into a bar/lounge type area: something different from the stadium club, perhaps on the order of a sports bar where ticket-holding adults could enjoy the game without having to buy a membership and would just have to pay, say, a $5 cover charge to enter. Or, perhaps even just a restaurant (like a TGI Fridays or Bennigans), decked out with TVs and Sox stuff, where fans could have dinner and drinks before, during or after a game.

I'm with on that idea. They have boxes right behind teh club level seats on the left field side that aren't even finished. What a waste. Use them for something.:(:

ewokpelts
05-25-2006, 12:58 AM

If so, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to choose a particular row of unleased skyboxes and convert them into a bar/lounge type area: something different from the stadium club, perhaps on the order of a sports bar where ticket-holding adults could enjoy the game without having to buy a membership and would just have to pay, say, a $5 cover charge to enter. Or, perhaps even just a restaurant (like a TGI Fridays or Bennigans), decked out with TVs and Sox stuff, where fans could have dinner and drinks before, during or after a game.the current trend is a "scout seat" like area, but in unused/underused suites. have the "suite" semi-privacy and bar/food options, but have seats dedicated just for baseball watching.

the tiggers did this at comerica this year, and the twinkies have a similar area in thier first base line seats.
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/det/ticketing/championsclub.jsp

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/min/ticketing/terrace_suite.jsp

Gene

Harry Potter
05-25-2006, 01:04 AM

Why not bring back the row of port-of-johns that made brief appearances on the Gate 2 and Gate 6 ramps in the past (usually during the Cubs series).

You're right, the lines on Friday's game were insane.

peeonwrigley
05-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Why not bring back the row of port-of-johns that made brief appearances on the Gate 2 and Gate 6 ramps in the past (usually during the Cubs series).

You're right, the lines on Friday's game were insane.
Seriously... I watched the Friday game from the outside part of the Bullpen Bar (awesome, by the way) and went to the bathroom in the 8th. It was a no go b/c of the line. I held it until after the game and the lines everywhere were still tragic. I almost had to "peeonthecell" but eventually found a remote parking lot portajohn near the player's lot. The lines in the Sox lots were unreal.

Cheeses- I agree about freezing up at the Cell... for some reason the bathroom is very conducive to stage fright.

peeonwrigley
05-25-2006, 01:30 AM

I agree. The ticket plan I split is in row 2 of the UD, just off home plate (534.) The only seats in which I would rather sit are the scout seats, the first 10 rows of premium lower box or the very first few club sections from the plate. All of which cost about twice as much.

IronFisk
05-25-2006, 01:49 AM
Minimum 8-peat for the WS...

Dude, why are you using teal?

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9805/28/hartman.snl/farley.jpg

Yeah Miller, Ima lookin at yous!

SouthSide_HitMen
05-25-2006, 01:55 AM

You just want to watch an idiot Cub fan take the slide. :D:

Too bad they tore down these otherwise we could hangout on the rooftops:

http://www.bradley.edu/las/eng/lotm/Chicago/taylora1a.jpg

Sniper binoculars optional. :redneck

IronFisk
05-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Sniper binoculars optional. :redneck

Uh oh...
:cuss:

SouthSide_HitMen
05-25-2006, 02:21 AM
Uh oh...
:cuss:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/cinemaxunga/triumph.jpg

"I kid"

http://www.starterupsteve.com/video/Conan-Triumph-Star-Wars.html

(Comic Insult Dog may be found offensive by Sci Fi fans, certain breeds of dog and of course French Canadians - Viewer discretion advised).

TheOldRoman
05-25-2006, 02:25 AM
how so? it's above the concourse...NOT the seats.....if anything, it's good for rain delays....
Gene
Hangar cannot be reasoned with. Logic bounces off him.

On another note, it is great to see Hangar revive his "playpen" arguement. The fundamentals deck ruined the park!

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Cheeses- I agree about freezing up at the Cell... for some reason the bathroom is very conducive to stage fright.

Nervous kidney? Bladder-shy? :tongue: :D: :redneck

batmanZoSo
05-25-2006, 10:37 AM

I have to be in privacy or I can't go. I went to see the DaVinci code and drank a huge diet coke and had to go for like the last hour of the movie. Then I'm waiting in line, go to do my thing and nothing. Such BS. That'll be the last time I use anything but a closed stall in a crowded venue like that.

mrfourni
05-25-2006, 11:19 AM

Doesn't the Bullpen Sports Bar accomplish that, or are you looking for something a little classier?

peeonwrigley
05-25-2006, 11:21 AM

At the Cell for some reason, yes. I think it is because the urinals stick out about 3 feet from the wall. There is no barrier like at the UC and the ones at Soldier Field let you get a little closer to the wall and thus privacy. We all know what goes on up north, I can't decide if that's better or worse. All I know is when I go at the Cell and there's a big crowd, its me against the world.

If its crowded, I just wait the extra minute for a stall... sometimes that line is faster anyhoo.

doogiec
05-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Not to restart the Upper deck ticket lower deck access argument but-

It was my observation on Friday that the ushers were not checking tickets at the lower deck, just going through the motions and letting everyone in. Not coincidentally, the bathroom lines were worse than any time in the last couple of years.

On Sunday I ran into a couple of friends who had upper deck tickets (not season tickets) and they said they walked through just by flashing their UD tickets. So on Tuesday, just for fun, I walked into the lower deck by saying "Hi" to the usher, never even took the ticket out of my pocket.

Combine this with the observations in another thread that there are a lot of empty seats in the UD for a sellout, and I suspect this could be the issue.

itsnotrequired
05-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Not to restart the Upper deck ticket lower deck access argument but-

It was my observation on Friday that the ushers were not checking tickets at the lower deck, just going through the motions and letting everyone in. Not coincidentally, the bathroom lines were worse than any time in the last couple of years.

On Sunday I ran into a couple of friends who had upper deck tickets (not season tickets) and they said they walked through just by flashing their UD tickets. So on Tuesday, just for fun, I walked into the lower deck by saying "Hi" to the usher, never even took the ticket out of my pocket.

Combine this with the observations in another thread that there are a lot of empty seats in the UD for a sellout, and I suspect this could be the issue.

I was stopped once again last night for going into the lower deck. It happens to me more often than not. I really wonder what the Sox training program is like in terms of identifying tickets. I mean, the single game and season tickets don't even look close. The ushers are quick to notice the microscopic "SEC 520" text on the ticket but seem to miss the relatively gigantic photo.

ewokpelts
05-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I was stopped once again last night for going into the lower deck. It happens to me more often than not. I really wonder what the Sox training program is like in terms of identifying tickets. I mean, the single game and season tickets don't even look close. The ushers are quick to notice the microscopic "SEC 520" text on the ticket but seem to miss the relatively gigantic photo.

:reinsy

Now that we won a championship, I have to find new ways to piss off sox fans.

itsnotrequired
05-25-2006, 01:49 PM
:reinsy

Now that we won a championship, I have to find new ways to piss off sox fans.

In the big scheme of things, it isn't really a big deal but the routine has grown a bit stale.

Usher: You need to go upstairs.
Me: Its a season ticket.
Usher: *looks closely at ticket*
Me: *annoyingly waiting*
Usher: Oh, okay.

It isn't like I try to flash the ticket and rush through either. I slow down and hold it right out to them, making sure the game date is clearly visable. 9 times out of 10, we do a little dance.:mad:

batmanZoSo
05-25-2006, 01:54 PM

The previous time I went this year we had upper deck seats and found one lower level stub on the floor of Fundamentals, so we used that and an "oh, I lost my stub" so the both of us could go down for the rest of the game. Then later on, I went to the ramp to smoke--on the lower level--and the girl wasn't gonna let me back in because I didn't have a stub. I mean in essence she was right because I really didn't belong down there but what if I really had lower seats and lost my ticket? I'm not allowed to go back in? :rolleyes:

It wasn't a big deal in the end, though. I was drunk and I bargained with the two guarding the gate. The one guy gave in and said I could go back in when I was done. The girl was talking to someone else at that time, so she still tried to stop me when I walked back in, but let me go when I told her the other guy gave me the go ahead.