PDA

View Full Version : The Great Free Parking Boondoggle

batmanZoSo
05-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Seeing as I got bilked for 30 bucks in that gravel lot past the tracks (which blocks you in with other cars) I'm thinking about trying for free parking in the neighborhood and hoofing it. Where are some good spots? Some of you seem to have nice schemes from what I recall but my memory is hazy. I don't care about walking distance, FWIW. All suggestions welcome!

chisoxfanatic
05-23-2006, 07:54 PM
They charged you $30 to park in a lot that isn't even finished? Ouch!

Anything north of 29th Street is safe, as well as places west of Halsted.

CubKilla
05-23-2006, 07:54 PM
41st St., northside of, from Wallace east.

LongLiveFisk
05-23-2006, 07:57 PM
$30 is STEEP, no matter how you slice it. And I thought those gas stations a few blocks west of the park (near Grandstand) were outrageous charging $25. :o:

batmanZoSo
05-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Ah, I see a boundary now somewhat. I should be able to find something good. Thanks and keep em comin!

LongLiveFisk
05-23-2006, 08:03 PM
The reasoning for the $25 charge at these gas stations is basically "easy in, easy out". If that's what you want and you don't mind spending the extra $$ go for it. I parked in one of the lots right across from the park for $18 but it is indeed a nightmare getting the hell out of there.

Palehose13
05-23-2006, 08:04 PM
I was parked in front of Ricobene's yesterday and my car was fine when I returned. :smile:

sullythered
05-23-2006, 08:05 PM
I park at Schaller's for free for every game. 37th and Halsted. It's a little bit of a walk, but a nice one.

batmanZoSo
05-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I was parked in front of Ricobene's yesterday and my car was fine when I returned. :smile:

Ha, well I'm not driving so I don't want to be the guy with the "great idea" for free parking and ends up getting someone's car towed. Or maybe I do...let's see how I'm treated.

Daver
05-23-2006, 08:10 PM
You can park on the street off State on most of the side streets without a resident sticker, or an IIT sticker. You can also park on State in front of the old Stateway Gardens if they lifted the construction restrictions.

maurice
05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Ha, well I'm not driving so I don't want to be the guy with the "great idea" for free parking and ends up getting someone's car towed. Or maybe I do...let's see how I'm treated.

Ricobene's is on 26th St (about a mile from the Cell). You're fine parking on the street over there.

StockdaleForVeep
05-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Seeing as I got bilked for 30 bucks in that gravel lot past the tracks (which blocks you in with other cars) I'm thinking about trying for free parking in the neighborhood and hoofing it. Where are some good spots? Some of you seem to have nice schemes from what I recall but my memory is hazy. I don't care about walking distance, FWIW. All suggestions welcome!

Was the chuck zito look alike still there?

And what happened to yer genius train idea?

StockdaleForVeep
05-23-2006, 08:29 PM
$30 is STEEP, no matter how you slice it. And I thought those gas stations a few blocks west of the park (near Grandstand) were outrageous charging $25. :o:

Whats outrageous is the official sox parkin lot next to it lists prices at 18 dollars

doctorlecter
05-23-2006, 08:50 PM
I've gotten block in there before. I ALWAYS used to park in that gravel lot, and it was always $10 until the 2003 All-Star game, when they raised it to $20. 200% increase in three years is nucking futs!

nasox
05-23-2006, 10:47 PM
This is the best suggestion. Thanks to Daver as he is the one who first told me about this.

I come from the north, so I take the Edens throught the Loop and take the Stevenson north from the Dan Ryan. Then I go south on Lake Shore Drive and take the 31 st exit. Even if Lake Shore is backed up, the lane that you merge from 55 is the exit only lane for 31 st. Then I go to Michigan and park at Michigan and 35th. There is always parking there, the area is safe, considering the CPD Headquarters are across the street and it is only a couple of blocks from the park. You don't have to pay, you don't have to worry about a two hour limit. Nothing. This is the best option you have.

dickallen15
05-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Go to Shinnick's, get a parking pass, park on the street for free, drink a couple of beers at Shinnick's, walk to the game.

ewokpelts
05-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Seeing as I got bilked for 30 bucks in that gravel lot past the tracks (which blocks you in with other cars) I'm thinking about trying for free parking in the neighborhood and hoofing it. Where are some good spots? Some of you seem to have nice schemes from what I recall but my memory is hazy. I don't care about walking distance, FWIW. All suggestions welcome!if you gotta pay, but a parking pass when you buy your tickets

ewokpelts
05-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Go to Shinnick's, get a parking pass, park on the street for free, drink a couple of beers at Shinnick's, walk to the game.do you gotta give them back the pass?

SouthSideHitman
05-24-2006, 12:42 AM
I was dissapointed to see that IIT sold the Sox the use of some faculty spots for night games, I always used to park there. But to answer the question, anywhere around the IIT campus is fine (although weekday games there's not much). Generally along Michigan from about 36th on south is free, it's a nice little walk, you get to see the neighborhood, and it's by CPD HQ. My family's been parking there since the new place open and has never had a problem.

nedlug
05-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Across from Ricobene's, under the overpass... if I don't have parking passes, that's where I'd be...

Max Power
05-24-2006, 12:54 AM
This is the best suggestion. Thanks to Daver as he is the one who first told me about this.

I come from the north, so I take the Edens throught the Loop and take the Stevenson north from the Dan Ryan. Then I go south on Lake Shore Drive and take the 31 st exit. Even if Lake Shore is backed up, the lane that you merge from 55 is the exit only lane for 31 st. Then I go to Michigan and park at Michigan and 35th. There is always parking there, the area is safe, considering the CPD Headquarters are across the street and it is only a couple of blocks from the park. You don't have to pay, you don't have to worry about a two hour limit. Nothing. This is the best option you have.

That's exactly what I do, except I take Sheridan Road down to Lake Shore Drive.

Law11
05-24-2006, 09:06 AM
I know this is a Free parking post but for $18 you can park
in the lot of that church just passed 35th and before 33rd. Right next to the park. Its basically in Right center field and they dont box you in.
Tailgating there as well. Its a breeze getting out. Boom a quick light and for me ontto the ryan back Northbound heading to the Stevenson.

i was in and out in 5 minutes after Sunday's game and on the stevenson in less than 10 minutes from the time I got in my car.

dickallen15
05-24-2006, 09:36 AM
do you gotta give them back the pass?

No. Its just for 1 day, it has a date on it.

ewokpelts
05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
No. Its just for 1 day, it has a date on it.y'know...schnicks is not supposed to pass out resident parking passes...it's kinda illegal....

Gene

DumpJerry
05-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I hope everyone realize that by now, 10,000+ people have read your "secrets" for free parking.

ChetChat
05-24-2006, 12:58 PM
I hope everyone realize that by now, 10,000+ people have read your "secrets" for free parking.
I was thinking the same thing, but "views" are at 582. I can hear those printers going...
(thank goodness for the el)

tromcoe
05-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I believe that Cobblestones on 39th and Union is also a bar with a lot that one can park in. It is also a pretty nice Sox bar with decent food.

:gulp:

na_na_na_na
05-24-2006, 01:03 PM
The truely best way to get free parking to all sox games and Never have to worry about getting a ticket....

Move to Bridgeport. I did before last year and it was worth it.

Cat Thief
05-24-2006, 01:15 PM
y'know...schnicks is not supposed to pass out resident parking passes...it's kinda illegal....

Gene

Businesses have special passes they hand out.

elrod
05-24-2006, 01:20 PM
35th street east of the Dan Ryan is your best bet. Right in front of De La Salle HS, or up and down State, Michigan or Indiana Ave. You're right next to CPD HQ and IIT and I've never had a problem with crime - even coming back to the car late at night. There are TONS of cops around.

skobabe8
05-24-2006, 01:28 PM
The truely best way to get free parking to all sox games and Never have to worry about getting a ticket....

Move to Bridgeport. I did before last year and it was worth it.

Workin on it. :cool:

sullythered
05-24-2006, 01:36 PM
I believe that Cobblestones on 39th and Union is also a bar with a lot that one can park in. It is also a pretty nice Sox bar with decent food.

:gulp:
True, but if you park at Cobblestones, you have to make sure you go in, order a beer or something, and register your license plate. Otherwise you'll be towed.

southsidesoxfan1
05-24-2006, 01:38 PM
You can park on the street off State on most of the side streets without a resident sticker, or an IIT sticker. You can also park on State in front of the old Stateway Gardens if they lifted the construction restrictions.

Parked on State St. just south of 35th on Monday. Had no problem, car was fine, and was in and out of the park in a flash. The only thing is there is no parking from 4-6 pm on the west side of State St. We rolled up a couple of minutes before 6:00pm. Plenty of space.

34 Inch Stick
05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Parked on State St. just south of 35th on Monday. Had no problem, car was fine, and was in and out of the park in a flash. The only thing is there is no parking from 4-6 pm on the west side of State St. We rolled up a couple of minutes before 6:00pm. Plenty of space.

Does the term, loose lips sink ships mean anything to you?

batmanZoSo
05-24-2006, 02:44 PM

True, but such is the nature of a true boondoggle. :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
05-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Workin on it. :cool:

Very cool! Let me know if I can help you out on that! Living in Bridgeport is awesome!

peeonwrigley
05-24-2006, 03:18 PM
That's exactly what I do, except I take Sheridan Road down to Lake Shore Drive.

When I was working up north last summer I would always take Sheridan to LSD... Edens/Kennedy made me suicidal... I can't imagine it now with the Ryan construction (assuming some of that effect trickles back north).

Mercy!
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Wow! If you live anywhere in the city near public transportation, how can you not utilize it to get to The Cell? Just asking, so don't beat me up.:?:

batmanZoSo
05-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Wow! If you live anywhere in the city near public transportation, how can you not utilize it to get to The Cell? Just asking, so don't beat me up.:?:

Because I'm a slacker. And to further deter me from "pubic" transportation, I glanced at today's Red Eye, which bore a headline something to the effect of "How dirty is the CTA?" I'll pass...:D:

Mercy!
05-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Because I'm a slacker. And to further deter me from "pubic" transportation, I glanced at today's Red Eye, which bore a headline something to the effect of "How dirty is the CTA?" I'll pass...:D:
Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

I'll look for your further discussions on this subject on the threads with titles like:

Help! My "secret" parking spot's not so secret any more with all those new fans.
My God, the traffic is awful on the Dan Ryan.
Jeez, I could hardly breathe in the smog in August.
My God, the traffic is awful on Lake Shore Drive.
It's time for a revolution. Gas has hit $3.50 per gallon.
No way I deserved that DUI. I could still stand up.
All that money for parking, and it took me 20 minutes to get out of the lot!
My God, the traffic is awful on the Eisenhower.
My God, the traffic blows on the Kennedy.
My God, the construction is awful on the...................

1951Campbell
05-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I'll look for your further discussions on this subject on the threads with titles like:

Help! My "secret" parking spot's not so secret any more with all those new fans.
My God, the traffic is awful on the Dan Ryan.
Jeez, I could hardly breathe in the smog in August.
It's time for a revolution. Gas has hit $3.50 per gallon.
No way I deserved that DUI. I could still stand up.
All that money for parking, and it took me 20 minutes to get out of the lot!
My God, the traffic is awful on the Eisenhower.
My God, the traffic blows on the Kennedy.
My God, the construction is awful on the...................

:rolleyes:

PushnThaEscalade
05-24-2006, 04:29 PM
call me selfish, but i have my parking space, east of the Ryan. Try to find it lol

batmanZoSo
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM

I know. My titles on those subjects would be much better. :cool:

Mercy!
05-24-2006, 04:34 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Beer Can Chicken
05-24-2006, 04:34 PM

Sometimes I drive, sometimes I take the train. When I drive I never pay to park. Because I have to transfer to the Brown line after the Red, I get home ALOT quicker if I drive. On the weeknight, that extra half-hour in bed pays off big time.

sdman11890
05-24-2006, 05:14 PM
during the playoffs, we always parked by the BP even farther past that gravel lot, payed some dude 10 bucks to "watch the cars" which pretty much means don't steal it urself... but that was fine.... but don't try tailgating there..

nasox
05-24-2006, 05:31 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I thought I would get in on the action.

Iwritecode
05-24-2006, 05:33 PM
I've said for the longest time that "one of these days" I'm going to ride the El into the game instead of paying to park. I just looked and it would take me an hour to get from the park and ride at Cumberland to the park.

Now I have to debate whether the lesser cost is worth the longer travel time and less driving...

Mercy!
05-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Okay, I read the big Cubune expose on that filthy CTA.

So, I should wash my hands before I eat; or avoid, say, rubbing my eyes after touching surfaces that thousands of strangers have touched? Shocking!

Come to think of it. That would be good advice at, like, The Cell, too. Yikes! Better stay away.

Here's a preemptive :rolleyes: . Just in case someone needs one.

batmanZoSo
05-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Okay, I read the big Cubune expose on that filthy CTA.

So, I should wash my hands before I eat; or avoid, say, rubbing my eyes after touching surfaces that thousands of strangers have touched? Shocking!

Come to think of it. That would be good advice at, like, The Cell, too. Yikes! Better stay away.

Here's a preemptive :rolleyes: . Just in case someone needs one.

:pee CTA

boiler up
05-24-2006, 08:08 PM
we always park at like 16th and indiana and then take the train two stops down