PDA

View Full Version : Sneed Can't Pronounce "Thome"

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Just now on NBC 5, Michael Sneed (who regurgitates everything she writes in her morning Sun-Times column) asked Nesita Kwan how to pronounce "Thome." This calls to mind a time Jerry Reinsdorf talked about Sneed in a Score interview from way back. This was after Sneed published a Bulls rumor (I forgot what it was) that was allegedly told to her by Joe Gentile. Gentile supposedly received the information from Reinsdorf, who probably did not think Gentile would leak it to Sneed.

:reinsy
"I don't leak stories; if I have something to say I come out and say it. But if I were to leak a story, I sure as hell wouldn't leak it to Michael Sneed who couldn't get her own birthday right if she tried."

miker
05-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Michael Sneed can barely write a newspaper column...

SoxEd
05-24-2006, 06:34 PM
OK, so I appreciate that we are 'two nations separated by a common language' (WSC), but since when has 'Michael' been a girl's name?

What gives?

miker
05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
OK, so I appreciate that we are 'two nations separated by a common language' (WSC), but since when has 'Michael' been a girl's name?

What gives?
As someone named 'Michael', I'm wondering why myself!

SoxEd
05-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Also, having just spent two minutes of my life reading her last two columns, since when have you guys mis-spelled 'flak' (which comes from a contraction of Fliegerabwehrkanone) as 'flack' (like famous singer Roberta)?

I'm confused!
(But y'all knew that already, I guess... :wink:)

SouthSide_HitMen
05-24-2006, 06:52 PM

What gives?

Maybe this song will provide you the answers you are looking for. :D:

http://www.lyricsdomain.com/11/kinks/lola.html

SoxEd
05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Maybe this song will provide you the answers you are looking for. :D:

http://www.lyricsdomain.com/11/kinks/lola.html

:thumbsup:

Ray Davies - YES!

Railsplitter
05-26-2006, 11:39 AM
OK, so I appreciate that we are 'two nations separated by a common language' (WSC),

WSC? The initials elude me, and the quote is from George Bernard Shaw.

DumpJerry
05-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Michael Sneed is an idiot who writes like she is a high school gossip, not a professional journalist.

SoxEd
05-28-2006, 03:02 PM
WSC? The initials elude me, and the quote is from George Bernard Shaw.

Mea culpa.
:redface:

I thought it was attributable to yer man Winston (Leonard) Spencer-Churchill.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-28-2006, 03:20 PM

What gives?

How does she pronounce it?

Milw
05-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Also, having just spent two minutes of my life reading her last two columns, since when have you guys mis-spelled 'flak' (which comes from a contraction of Fliegerabwehrkanone) as 'flack' (like famous singer Roberta)?

I'm confused!
(But y'all knew that already, I guess... :wink:)

I'm assuming the context was a PR flack ... A Google search shows 13,000 entries for "PR flak" compared to 68,000 for "PR flack."

FYI.

SoxEd
05-28-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm assuming the context was a PR flack ... A Google search shows 13,000 entries for "PR flak" compared to 68,000 for "PR flack."

FYI.
Here's the bit that piqued my etymological curiosity - it's from her article on May 23rd:

Brit Prime Minister Tony Blair's son, Euan Blair, may have caught flack for bailing on his Capitol Hill internship two months early, but the young lad is expected to return to America this fall to attend graduate school at either Yale or Harvard.

So, she meant it in the sense of 'hostile fire', like the anti-aircraft fire, or flak.

Having said that, I've now Googled the term with the inappropriate 'c', and found that its use for 'flak' is commmon on your side of the pond.

Also, and please Pardon The Ignorance here, but what is a 'PR flack'?

Is a 'flack' a 'junket', or is it a 'flunky'?
:redneck

EDIT: I just Googled it, which I clearly should've done based on your OP, and found that a 'flack' is a 'flunky', rather than a 'junket'/'bunfight'.
Mea culpa.

Cheers,
Ed.