PDA

View Full Version : Another Gene Honda thread

bennyw41
05-23-2006, 03:51 PM
I heard from some reliable sources that Gene didn't get a Ring. I refused to believe him. Anyone hear differently?

Unregistered
05-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I heard from some reliable sources that Gene didn't get a Ring. I refused to believe him. Anyone hear differently?
From the Trib:
"The Sox presented 432 rings and 163 pendants to players, coaches, front-office personnel, investors and assorted people with longtime ties with the organization. That list included living Hall of Famers Carlton Fisk and Luis Aparicio, the first person to receive a ring during the ceremony, and families of past team owners such as Charles Comiskey, Mary Frances Veeck and John Allyn."

So you're telling me all those people got rings, but Gene ****ing Honda didn't? C'mon, this one's too easy...

oeo
05-23-2006, 04:00 PM

Maybe you should check your sources again. Why wouldn't he get one?

Edward
05-23-2006, 04:00 PM
I was up on the Fan Deck yesterday and I saw some member of the front office "working" (watching the game and relaxing) and noticed he had a ring, he let me check it out and everything. I'd be surprised if someone in his position got one and Honda didn't. I think Collins was this guy's name, at least that was the name on the ring.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-23-2006, 04:02 PM
I was up on the Fan Deck yesterday and I saw some member of the front office "working" (watching the game and relaxing) and noticed he had a ring, he let me check it out and everything. I'd be surprised if someone in his position got one and Honda didn't.

A girl walking around selling the raffle tickets let us check them out. I've never held such a heavy piece of jewelry. Talk about ice!

itsnotrequired
05-23-2006, 04:03 PM
I was up on the Fan Deck yesterday and I saw some member of the front office "working" (watching the game and relaxing) and noticed he had a ring, he let me check it out and everything. I'd be surprised if someone in his position got one and Honda didn't. I think Collins was this guy's name, at least that was the name on the ring.

Eddie Collins?

It was probably Tom Collins, one of the season ticket reps.

Edward
05-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Eddie Collins?

It was probably Tom Collins, one of the season ticket reps.

Yep, you're right, this thread made me wonder who this guy really was so I did a little googling just now and thats the man. I wanna be named after a fruity drink too. :(:

Palehose13
05-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Yep, you're right, this thread made me wonder who this guy really was so I did a little googling just now and thats the man. I wanna be named after a fruity drink too. :(:

Ask and ye shall receive. From now one Edward, you will be known as "Pina Colada". :smile:

itsnotrequired
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
I wanna be named after a fruity drink too. :(:

:?:

bennyw41
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
From the Trib:
"The Sox presented 432 rings and 163 pendants to players, coaches, front-office personnel, investors and assorted people with longtime ties with the organization. That list included living Hall of Famers Carlton Fisk and Luis Aparicio, the first person to receive a ring during the ceremony, and families of past team owners such as Charles Comiskey, Mary Frances Veeck and John Allyn."

So you're telling me all those people got rings, but Gene ****ing Honda didn't? C'mon, this one's too easy...

That's the whole point of the thread. I refuse to believe it, but I can't get any confirmation.

Edward
05-23-2006, 04:09 PM
:?:

Explanation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Collins)

Haven't you watched Meet the Parents/Fockers?!?

itsnotrequired
05-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Explanation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Collins)

I was commenting more on the frowny face. Are you depressed that you don't have a fruity drink name? Or are you sad for him?

:dunno:

bennyw41
05-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Focus!!!!!

Edward
05-23-2006, 04:13 PM
I was commenting more on the frowny face. Are you depressed that you don't have a fruity drink name? Or are you sad for him?

:dunno:

Lets just say if I could tint the frowny face teal as well, I would have. :D: <- no teal needed here.

itsnotrequired
05-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Lets just say if I could tint the frowny face teal as well, I would have. :D: <- no teal needed here.

You just blew my mind...

Edward
05-23-2006, 04:17 PM
:rolling: Ah, the stupid fun that can be had on hump day.
I think this guy is in order :hijacked: . I wonder if we can communicate entirely through emoticons?

Hangar18
05-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I think whats Ironic in all of this, is that Gene drives a Nissan

Bobbo35
05-24-2006, 07:17 AM
From the Trib:

If my buddy got one who is a high school scout for the Sox, Gene Honda definately got one.

RichFitztightly
05-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Just as kind of an aside... I saw Gene walking outside the park before the Saturday Cubs/Sox game and said hi to him. He replied in his Booming voice... "Hello fellas and good morning, you're here awfully early toooooo."

His everyday talk sounds just like his announcing. We were laughing at our immitations of Gene announcing mundane tasks such as, "Rich Fitztightly has just hit the snooze button for the third time." It cracks me up every time I imagine the sound of his voice.

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Focus!!!!!

Bofus? :o: :D: :tongue: :redneck

HotelWhiteSox
05-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Dan Jiggetts got one for filling in a few times on the post game show. That can't be right

bennyw41
06-05-2006, 10:49 AM
It is confirmed. A friend of mine talked to Gene. He Did not get a ring. I think this is a travesty, and I can't wait till the papers get a hold of it.

doogiec
06-05-2006, 11:49 AM
It is confirmed. A friend of mine talked to Gene. He Did not get a ring. I think this is a travesty, and I can't wait till the papers get a hold of it.

Someone I know who works for the Sox told me that only full time employees received the ring (meaning year round, every day).

I don't think Honda does much else for the team, and know that he has several other jobs. I wonder if they felt that if they gave it to him for his approx 350 hours of service per year, they would need to do the same for every other part time (game day) employee, of which they have lots.

bennyw41
06-05-2006, 11:50 AM
That may be true, but I equate Gene's voice and intro's as much of a White Sox experience as I do the Shower/Fireworks/churros.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Someone I know who works for the Sox told me that only full time employees received the ring (meaning year round, every day).

I don't think Honda does much else for the team, and know that he has several other jobs. I wonder if they felt that if they gave it to him for his approx 350 hours of service per year, they would need to do the same for every other part time (game day) employee, of which they have lots.

Did Nancy Faust get a ring?

http://www.uc.edu/news/benstein.jpg

Anyone? Anyone?

spiffie
06-05-2006, 02:10 PM

FWIW Gene also does appear at Soxfest so he's not quite a day of game employee. I have to think that Gene's position should be seen as slightly different than that of the kid vigilantly stopping people from doing seat upgrades yesterday in the bottom of the 9th after everyone had left our section. (Sorry, just had to mention it. He was so into his job that it amazed me. I've never seen an usher so committed to his work.)

Chisox003
06-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I work there, I didn't get a ring. :(:

Didnt expect one, but still makes me :(:

TornLabrum
06-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Did Nancy Faust get a ring?

http://www.spanhike.com/aribbon/benstein.jpg

Anyone? Anyone?

Yes.

Vernam
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
A girl walking around selling the raffle tickets let us check them out. I've never held such a heavy piece of jewelry. Talk about ice!The raffle sellers' rings look like the real thing but are faux. Still, just a matter of time before somebody grabs one and tries making a dash for it, all the way down the ramps. :D:

Vernam

SouthSide_HitMen
06-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Yes.

Thanks - I would have bet a lot of money that she did.

Jerry Reinsdorf and his partners were very generous with rewarding their employees with the rings / bonuses as well as taking them along for road games during the playoffs / World Series.

I still find it very hard to believe Gene Honda didn't receive one. I would think everyone acknowledged on this list received a World Series ring (out of the 432 Rings handed out to players and employees by Jerry Reinsdorf):

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cws

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060406&content_id=1386976&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

bennyw41
06-05-2006, 04:22 PM

Jerry Reinsdorf and his partners were very generous with rewarding their employees with the rings / bonuses as well as taking them along for road games during the playoffs / World Series.

I still find it very hard to believe Gene Honda didn't receive one. I would think everyone acknowledged on this list received a World Series ring (out of the 432 Rings handed out to players and employees by Jerry Reinsdorf):

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060406&content_id=1386976&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Believe what you want. But Gene himself has told many people he didn't get one.

Chisox003
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM

It's even more than that because my bosses got rings and they aren't on that list.

peeonwrigley
06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Guys like Gene Honda and the guy that does the voiceovers for all the movie trailers... they have it made in life. All they have to do is read and talk with minimal thought because they were blessed with kickass voices.

Boo freakin' hoo if he did not get a World Series ring.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Honda and the situation sounds a bit puzzling... but I won't shed any tears for him.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
It's even more than that because my bosses got rings and they aren't on that list.

Exactly - I put the list out as the bare minimum (less than 1/2 of the rings given out). 432 rings (plus 164 additional gifts for spouses).

Speaking of rings, here is a feel good story about a man doing the right thing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-as-lostworldseriesring&prov=ap&type=lgns

Former A's employee to receive long lost World Series ring

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Sharon Kelly figured she would never again see the stolen 1989 World Series ring she earned as a member of the Oakland Athletics (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/oak/)' front office staff nearly two decades ago.
On Sunday, her lost keepsake will be back in her possession -- all thanks to a man determined to teach his two sons a lesson about doing the right thing. Kelly will meet Robert Woehl before the A's finish a seven-game homestand in the series finale with the Minnesota Twins (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/min/).

TornLabrum
06-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Okay, I happened to turn on Channel 11 during the pitching change in the bottom of the eighth to see what they were doing for pledge week programming, and there big as life is Gene Honda. I've seen his 2003 All-Star Game ring. That's not what he was wearing. It looked amazingly like one of those World Series rings Sox employees got.

So either a certain unnamed source was full of ****, or someone here was telling tall tales.

McCuddy
06-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Guys like Gene Honda and the guy that does the voiceovers for all the movie trailers... they have it made in life. All they have to do is read and talk with minimal thought because they were blessed with kickass voices.

Yeah, it's a license to print money.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Okay, I happened to turn on Channel 11 during the pitching change in the bottom of the eighth to see what they were doing for pledge week programming, and there big as life is Gene Honda. I've seen his 2003 All-Star Game ring. That's not what he was wearing. It looked amazingly like one of those World Series rings Sox employees got.

So either a certain unnamed source was full of ****, or someone here was telling tall tales.

I get to use this twice today. :supernana: :supernana:

:hawk

"I luv it when you analyze".

FedEx227
06-11-2006, 12:13 AM

Yup! Was just about to post this in a seperate thread. Gene Honda was on Channel 11 tonight pitching an Earth Wind & Fire/Chicago DVD and CD, and I saw what appear for what I could judge to be a World Series ring. I could definetly see a black outline with a gold logo in the middle.

TornLabrum
06-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Yup! Was just about to post this in a seperate thread. Gene Honda was on Channel 11 tonight pitching an Earth Wind & Fire/Chicago DVD and CD, and I saw what appear for what I could judge to be a World Series ring. I could definetly see a black outline with a gold logo in the middle.
The problem with rumors like this one being passed around is that they are so easy to check. Back when fewer people were coming to the park and people could smoke on the concourse, I'd see Gene and say hi to him before most games.

Anybody could probably see him if they got to the park early enough and be able to check the rumor. As it was, all we had to do was wait a few days until Channel 11 had a pledge week.

EDIT: Oh, and I notice that Bennyw41 hasn't been here since we disproved what he claimed Gene himself has been telling people. I don't think I'd show my face either if I were a troll that got caught.

The Critic
06-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Hey, believe your own eyes all you want. But I'm still going to insist that Gene himself has told many many many people he didn't get one.
:D:

DachnoPiitu
08-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Comcast Jim Beam Sports Night just had a great interview with Honda.

Go Sox!:wink:

ChiSoxRowand
08-15-2006, 11:21 PM

Boo freakin' hoo if he did not get a World Series ring.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Honda and the situation sounds a bit puzzling... but I won't shed any tears for him.

If Dan Jiggets got a ring, he deserves a ring. It would have been a travesty if he didn't get a ring.

TornLabrum
08-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Comcast Jim Beam Sports Night just had a great interview with Honda.

Go Sox!:wink:

And for resurrecting a dead, two-month old thread, take the day off.

Closed.