PDA

View Full Version : Best bench in baseball history?

nug0hs
05-23-2006, 01:25 PM
During the game last night Hawk mentioned that this year's bench was the best he has seen in his time with the Sox (having joined the team in 1981)...I was born in the mid 80s so I'm going to have to agree with him...

My question to you is, do you think this is the best bench in baseball history?

Jerko
05-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Yes. When Ozuna starts in left, Mack in right, and Widger behind the plate. Pods, Dye, and AJ make a great bench.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Ummm the Yanks in the 50's and 60's had guys like Johnny Blanchard, Hank Bauer, Enos 'Country' Slaughter, Bob Cerv and Hector 'what a pair of hands' Lopez.

So the answer to the original question is 'no.'

Lip

BRDSR
05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Ummm the Yanks in the 50's and 60's had guys like Johnny Blanchard, Hank Bauer, Enos 'Country' Slaughter, Bob Cerv and Hector 'what a pair of hands' Lopez.

Lip

Enose Slaughter played baseball in the 50s and 60s? I always thought of him as a 20's and 30s guy. Were those his best years and he just stuck around awhile or am I going crazy?

HomeFish
05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous. This is a bench in May on a 2nd place team. It has won nothing.

Compare to Sox benches of the recent past, perhaps, but best in history? Put the Kool-Aid down.

southside rocks
05-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Enose Slaughter played baseball in the 50s and 60s? I always thought of him as a 20's and 30s guy. Were those his best years and he just stuck around awhile or am I going crazy?

Slaughter played from 1938 through 1959, with 3-4 years out for WWII.

russ99
05-23-2006, 03:27 PM

Lip

No kidding.

The Yankees had loads of excellent players on the bench in the 50s and 60s that could have been starting and starring for almost every other team.

I love this year's Sox bench, but that's exaggerating quite a bit. I'd also lean towards looking at teams in the NL and pre-DH AL, since those teams are forced to use their bench every game, or allow pitchers to hit.

It would be interesting to find out statistically which current team has the best bench.

TheOldRoman
05-23-2006, 03:37 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous. This is a bench in May on a 2nd place team. It has won nothing.

Compare to Sox benches of the recent past, perhaps, but best in history? Put the Kool-Aid down. :rolleyes:
We can always call on Homefish to bring logic into threads.

TheOldRoman
05-23-2006, 03:42 PM
No kidding.

The Yankees had loads of excellent players on the bench in the 50s and 60s that could have been starting and starring for almost every other team.

I love this year's Sox bench, but that's exaggerating quite a bit. I'd also lean towards looking at teams in the NL and pre-DH AL, since those teams are forced to use their bench every game, or allow pitchers to hit.

It would be interesting to find out statistically which current team has the best bench.
Yeah, I don't think our bench is close to the best ever. However, it is certianly the best in the game today. Then again, we are a 2nd place team in May.

oeo
05-23-2006, 03:51 PM

Compare to Sox benches of the recent past, perhaps, but best in history? Put the Kool-Aid down.

I'm not going to disagree with you about the bench, but...1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, it doesn't even matter at this point. We're a game back, in MAY. Will the Tigers stay around? Possibly. Will they keep on this pace? Hell no...their pitching is going to falter eventually. And don't give me the, this is just like the 2005 Sox, because it's not. Tigers = 3rd place this year, book it.