PDA

View Full Version : Frank during BP Monday

BainesHOF
05-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Frank couldn't have been cooler during Monday's batting practice. He was acknowledging everyone calling out to him while he was hitting in Oakland's first group in the cage.

Then Frank signed autographs for virtually anyone who wanted one. First he went to the Sox side by the dugout, then he came to the Oakland side. He signed for 30 to 40 minutes, even to the point of staying on the field after everyone else on Oakland returned to the clubhouse. He was talking with the fans the whole time.

All in all, it was quite the lovefest between Frank and the fans.

Hosey22
05-23-2006, 02:23 PM
I've always maintained that Frank is awesome with the fans. He was tremendous yesterday. We brought a sign that said 'Welcome Home Big Hurt' and he definitly acknowledged it and us as soon as he saw it. We went over to get it signed and he talked back and forth with us. My sister mentioned how we loved and missed him and he said ti right back about us. I really didn't appreciate Kenny Williams bringing up some of the old conflict between them, saying that we don't know what he knows. I love KW but nobody needs to hear that, it's over and done with. This is the one situation that I really don't think Kenny has handled appropriately. Either way last night was a great chance for us to experience the Big Hurt again, it just felt really strange standing and cheering for him to strikeout late in the game.

Flight #24
05-23-2006, 02:34 PM
I really didn't appreciate Kenny Williams bringing up some of the old conflict between them, saying that we don't know what he knows. I love KW but nobody needs to hear that, it's over and done with. This is the one situation that I really don't think Kenny has handled appropriately.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this before now. I had the exact same reaction: Frank took the high road - "It's over, I have nothing but good feelings, hopefully down the road I'm back with the org" type stuff. Meanwhile KW continues to stew and sulk and snipe.

IMO the appropriate response would have been "Frank Thomas set all kind of milestones and was a huge part of this franchise's history. We've had our differences, but there's no need to re-hash that now." Instead, he takes veiled potshots yet again. I expect better from my GM.

It's clear that the tribute, etc come 100% from Brooks & JR and 0% from KW. He seems to hate that Frank continues to get recognized as the all-time greatest player in franchise history. He's a great GM in terms of assembling a winning team, but he's unable to put aside his personal animosity in the name of what's best for the fans & the org.

salty99
05-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Yup he was definitely very accomodating and classy. The only thing I didn't like was the old guy getting 3-4 things signed including a dollar bill, while there were kids waiting.

RKMeibalane
05-23-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this before now. I had the exact same reaction: Frank took the high road - "It's over, I have nothing but good feelings, hopefully down the road I'm back with the org" type stuff. Meanwhile KW continues to stew and sulk and snipe.

IMO the appropriate response would have been "Frank Thomas set all kind of milestones and was a huge part of this franchise's history. We've had our differences, but there's no need to re-hash that now." Instead, he takes veiled potshots yet again. I expect better from my GM.

It's clear that the tribute, etc come 100% from Brooks & JR and 0% from KW. He seems to hate that Frank continues to get recognized as the all-time greatest player in franchise history. He's a great GM in terms of assembling a winning team, but he's unable to put aside his personal animosity in the name of what's best for the fans & the org.

It really does seem like Williams is extremely jealous of Frank, now more than ever.

:KW

"They don't know what I know."

Who cares? I'm sure Frank knows things about Kenny Williams that we don't know, but did he say anything about it? Nope. Frank has said and done plenty of stupid things over the years, but to his credit, he's said all the right things since being back in Chicago. KW, on the other hand, is acting like a five-year-old who just got his favorite toy taken away.

Kenny Williams is the best GM in baseball, but he needs to keep something in mind. Frank Thomas is someone who most of us will be telling our children and grandchildren about. As far as KW is concerned, once he's no longer the GM of the Chicago White Sox, I don't plan on giving him a second thought.

BainesHOF
05-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Kenny Williams is not perfect, but let's remember he's a great general manager. There's no reason to talk badly about him.

Flight #24
05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
It really does seem like Williams is extremely jealous of Frank, now more than ever.

:KW

"They don't know what I know."

Who cares? I'm sure Frank knows things about Kenny Williams that we don't know, but did he say anything about it? Nope. Frank has said and done plenty of stupid things over the years, but to his credit, he's said all the right things since being back in Chicago. KW, on the other hand, is acting like a five-year-old who just got his favorite toy taken away.

Kenny Williams is the best GM in baseball, but he needs to keep something in mind. Frank Thomas is someone who most of us will be telling our children and grandchildren about. As far as KW is concerned, once he's no longer the GM of the Chicago White Sox, I don't plan on giving him a second thought.

What's interesting and saddening is to consider KW's responses to Magglio's far far worse comments on the org. Restrained, tactful, classy. And Maggs actually took some pretty hard shots at the Sox ("Don't want to win, lied about my injury", etc.). Frank said "they didn't handle my dismissal well", and "I'm as good as Thome", and KW not only went waaaaay overboard, he continues to take the low road. Heck - Ozzie made worse comments than Frank when he left. Why isn't KW sniping at him?

And before we get on the "Frank's constant complaining" bit from the haters, for all that "complaining", Frank also never held out, never said anything bad about the organization over 16-odd years, and gave his all every day he wore the uni. Oh yeah, and there's that "dominance" thing too.

maurice
05-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Kenny Williams is not perfect, but let's remember he's a great general manager. There's no reason to talk badly about him.

Unfortunately, he keeps giving us reasons. I wish he'd just ****. It's embarrassing, especially coming from a championship organization.

cleanwsox
05-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Frank and KW = Nick and Jessica

Who really cares, I like them both

ode to veeck
05-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately, he keeps giving us reasons. I wish he'd just ****. It's embarrassing, especially coming from a championship organization.

I agree. I thought the thing in the spring really got out of hand and KW should have just let it go. Obvopusly, he has not ever really liked big Frank.

nedlug
05-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Frank and KW = Nick and Jessica
:?:...

:thud:

TDog
05-23-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't know why, but Thomas always seemed better at signing autographs on the road when he played for the Sox. I used to go to Sox games in Anaheim (before they moved to LA), and you would always see him in front of a group of kids, signing whatever they had until someone called him away.