PDA

View Full Version : Cubbies Lead the League in Temper Tantrums

TomBradley72
05-23-2006, 12:53 PM
This team is an incredibly emotional team with nearly zero discipline and accountability for their actions...the list is incredibly long:

Moises Alou's hissy fit after the Bartman incident.
Big mean Steve Stone and Chip Caray were too mean and tough for them!
Debates over the past few years on if "booing" is appropriate.
Jim Hendry gets into it with Tribune staffers on coverage that is too "critical" of a team with one of the worst records in baseball.
Maddux whines and moans because he's not getting a 30" wide plate.
Barrett's cowardly sucker punch of AJ
Barrett's confrontation with Oswalt leading to an incredible run by the Astros
Barrett's confrontation with Roberts on San Diego because he made a comment or stole a base.
Zambrano's showboating after every strikeout or inning...but if AJ "looks at him"...he's out of line.
Ryan Dempster's accusations of being misquoted on the Score...when the tape of the interview does not support him at all.
Dusty Baker whining about the baskets at Wrigley after Piazza's homer.
Trixie Cub fan throws a ball at their RF...they blame it on the tradition of throwing the ball back after an opponent's HR. Except....the game was a shutout with no HR's hit.Look at the incidents listed above.....the Cubs pull more of this b.s. in a week than the WSox do in 1-2 complete seasons. A week ago I felt complete apathy towards these losers...after the b.s that occurred in all three games over the weekend....my hatred for all things Cubbie has been renewed. I hope we completely steam roll them at Wrigley in July.

Risk
05-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Don't forget the inexcusable racist comments toward LaTroy Hawkins.

I'm like you, for a brief moment I was actually beginning to pity them--but now, full out hatred for all things Flubbie has returned.

Risk

SOXPHILE
05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Don't forget another Barrett incident: In addition to being one of those bitching about the Cubs announcers in 2004, he also, in 2005, started whining about THE CARDINALS announcers, saying they gave too much credit to Tony LaRussa, and not enough to Johnny Baker. I find it real interesting how these guys have time to listen to and worry about what's said on T.V./radio, DURING THE GAME THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYING IN AND SHOULD HAVE THEIR UNDIVIDED ATTENTION !!!

McCuddy
05-23-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm like you, for a brief moment I was actually beginning to pity them--but now, full out hatred for all things Flubbie has returned.

Y'know, I said the exact same thing to my wife this weekend. I had sort of "moved past" the scoreboard watching, figuring it was the fan base that I detested.

Well done, Barrett - you "fired 'em up", all right.

Jerko
05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Don't forget Six fingers Alfonseca bumping an ump, and IIRC Alou spit at an ump during the same incident. But, AJ is an *******.

Bill Naharodny
05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
TomBradley, I'd like to compliment you on putting that list together. Very comprehensive recounting of general Cub ridiculousness. But let us not forget Kerry Wood's past complaints about "being squeezed" by umpires. Oh, and Zambrano screaming at Edmonds because Edmonds hit a home run off of him -- and then hitting Edmonds his next time up.

(The Cardinals' reaction to that one was priceless, by the way. Edmonds just looked down at his hip, looked at Zambrano like he was a moron, and trotted to first base. Then Rolen hit a ball onto Waveland Avenue. Beautiful.)

ChiSoxLifer
05-23-2006, 01:59 PM

Risk

Don't believe for a second that LaTroy is the only target of racist comments at Wrigley. They're aimed at the players as well as people in the stands. I would love to be in the bleachers with a tape recorder when Jermaine's playing the field.

Palehose13
05-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Don't believe for a second that LaTroy is the only target of racist comments at Wrigley. They're aimed at the players as well as people in the stands. I would love to be in the bleachers with a tape recorder when Jermaine's playing the field.

And lets not forget Dusty's racist comments in regards to players skin tone and day games.

Vestigio
05-23-2006, 04:17 PM
What about Dusty's excuse that the team isnt hitting well because they dont have a LH BP pitcher?

SOXPHILE
05-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Ooooh ! I almost forgot ! We must always remember Johnny Baker's excuse for Jacque Jones getting doubled off a base in Arizona was because he didn't get a good read on the ball, because the gravity is different in that stadium. He was just trying to make things happen.

Jerko
05-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Ooooh ! I almost forgot ! We must always remember Johnny Baker's excuse for Jacque Jones getting doubled off a base in Arizona was because he didn't get a good read on the ball, because the gravity is different in that stadium. He was just trying to make things happen.
Good grief. Baker, you frickin train in Arizona, your players should be used to the different gravitational pull by the regular season.

Palehose13
05-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Good grief. Baker, you frickin train in Arizona, your players should be used to the different gravitational pull by the regular season.

:roflmao:

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-23-2006, 05:21 PM
This thread is great.

Dan H
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Tom Bradley's list is incredible but not surprising. I have always thought the Sox-Cubs games were overhyped. But even with saying that, many of the games were intense and well-played. This last series was a complete joke. I am still shocked that the Cubs salvaged that last game because they didn't look anything like a major league team. From Maddux to Barrett to Zambrano to Baker, this team shows no class and certainly doesn't deserve the undying support they get from a fan base that doesn't know a foul ball from a home run. Their whining and excuse making is worse than anything the Sox or their fans have ever done. How many excuses can they make for their putrid losing tradition? May they go another 100 years without a championship.

nedlug
05-23-2006, 06:05 PM
How about a Cub (I forget who) getting picked off of first by Sean Lowe? That was pretty embarrassing...

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2006, 06:20 PM
How about a Cub (I forget who) getting picked off of first by Sean Lowe? That was pretty embarrassing...

Mark Grace, wearing the captain's "C" on his shirt. Well, he certainly played like a little leaguer, too...

:wink:

StockdaleForVeep
05-23-2006, 08:50 PM
This team is an incredibly emotional team with nearly zero discipline and accountability for their actions...the list is incredibly long:

Jim Hendry gets into it with Tribune staffers on coverage that is too "critical" of a team with one of the worst records in baseball.
Barrett's confrontation with Roberts on San Diego because he made a comment or stole a base.
Zambrano's showboating after every strikeout or inning...but if AJ "looks at him"...he's out of line.
Ryan Dempster's accusations of being misquoted on the Score...when the tape of the interview does not support him at all.
Trixie Cub fan throws a ball at their RF...they blame it on the tradition of throwing the ball back after an opponent's HR. Except....the game was a shutout with no HR's hit.Look at the incidents listed above.....the Cubs pull more of this b.s. in a week than the WSox do in 1-2 complete seasons. A week ago I felt complete apathy towards these losers...after the b.s that occurred in all three games over the weekend....my hatred for all things Cubbie has been renewed. I hope we completely steam roll them at Wrigley in July.

Maddux complained in atlanta too when he would want calls and not get them. He's a cy young pitcher and expects every call, pedro martinez is the same, if not worse.

Im surprised tho u didnt mention the incident 2 years ago or somethin when i wanna say wood got ejected, it started a rash of the next week fans stoppin the game for throwin candy bars and garbage on the warning track

Banix12
05-23-2006, 09:23 PM

Risk

LaTroy should make the list twice, for the racist comments directed toward him and his constant whining about the media. He was the guy who instituted a media boycott the second he was named the closer.

Oh, here's another good one. A couple years ago Dusty made an excuse that the team was struggling because the heat of august sometimes wears down players. This of course during the one of coldest augusts on record and a day after a game where the game time temperature was something like 60 degrees

I would also put Corey Patterson on the list for his refusal to go to winter ball and work on his swing. Though honestly if there was one player on the cubs that had a reason to whine it was Corey Patterson. They jerked him around so much as he developed. Rushed him the the majors, built him up in the minors to be a RBI guy, tried to turn him into a leadoff man when he clearly lacked the hitting skills, and had something like six hitting coaches in his ear at the same time.

There is a reason the cubs organization hasn't developed a really good major league hitter from their minor league system in 20 years and I think you can look to Corey's development as a clear example as to why.

rookie
05-23-2006, 10:15 PM
I also was starting to feel sorry for the losers. Not anymore. I need to follow my sis and take her lead, she never gets sucked into rooting for the Cubs (2003) or feeling pity. She's not Flubssed (or whatever the word is) she just tells me that if the tables were reversed they wouldn't show us the same courtesy.

Nellie_Fox
05-23-2006, 10:20 PM
I need to follow my sis and take her lead, she never gets sucked into rooting for the Cubs (2003)You rooted for the Cubs in 2003?:rolleyes:

Soxfanspcu11
05-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Oooh oooh, I got one!

I remember when Sosa got caught with that corked bat back in 2003 and flubs fans and media sympathetic to their losing said that it was not a big deal because Sammy had just been injured and he was just trying to regain his bad speed.:rolleyes:

ChiSoxRowand
05-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Zambrano yelling at Edmonds after he hit a home run 2 years ago. He hit Jim in his next at-bat.

Hitmen77
05-23-2006, 11:48 PM
- Cubs complaining a few years ago that the Sox were sliding too hard into 2nd base against them.
- Dusty whining when the Sox celebrated a victory over his team (I don't remember what year, but it was when Jerry Manual was our skipper).

WhiteSoxRich
05-23-2006, 11:55 PM

And when any of this is brought to a Flub Fan's attention: "Ya but at least we go to the games...or...At least we are having fun at the ball park"

Like winning sucks???

Talk about having your head buried in the sand.

Tragg
05-23-2006, 11:59 PM
You rooted for the Cubs in 2003?:rolleyes:

I used to mildly root for them. WSI cured me of that disease.

Cowch44
05-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Didn't one of their hot-headed pitchers hit Bonds and walk twords him?

itsnotrequired
05-24-2006, 12:54 AM
I used to mildly root for them. WSI cured me of that disease.

Looks like it took a few years for the medicine to work.:wink:

oscars gamble
05-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Oooh oooh, I got one!

I remember when Sosa got caught with that corked bat back in 2003 and flubs fans and media sympathetic to their losing said that it was not a big deal because Sammy had just been injured and he was just trying to regain his bad speed.:rolleyes:

What drives me nuts, is that the game after Sam-Me was busted with the corked bat the sheep at Wrigley gave him a standing ovation in his first at bat. Why? Hooray are guy is a cheater!

hawkjt
05-24-2006, 04:27 PM
well, you can add maddux to the list today cuz after the debacle 5th inning he went into the dugout and threw his glove, threw a water bottle , went into the tunnel and did who knows what, then came out and grabbed a bat and beat at gatorade jug senseless with said bat.

I dont blame him actually as he was up 3-1 with two outs in the fifth when cedeno throws in the dirt on a routine grounder. It is 6-3 when he gets that third out. yikes.

Chisox353014
05-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Oooh oooh, I got one!

I thought he had the corked bat because he wanted to "entertain the fans in batting practice":roflmao:
:corker

maurice
05-24-2006, 05:16 PM

I don't know, but Farnsworth threw at a Reds pitcher and then attacked him.
That's the only incident I know where a pitcher charged the batter's box.

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't know, but Farnsworth threw at a Reds pitcher and then attacked him.
That's the only incident I know where a pitcher charged the batter's box.There was an incident between Zambraino and Bonds last year (?) in which Bonds struck out and took exception to Zambraino's fist pumping. No blows were exchanged, but there was a lot of shouting and finger-pointing.

miker
05-24-2006, 07:01 PM
- Dusty whining when the Sox celebrated a victory over his team (I don't remember what year, but it was when Jerry Manual was our skipper).
Important victories weren't a hallmark of the Jerry Manual era. I would of celebrated too!

rookie
05-25-2006, 12:02 AM
You rooted for the Cubs in 2003?:rolleyes:

I plead temporary insanity. I'm not old enough to have experienced any Chicago baseball success before 2003. But now that I have become a baseball fan, I have seen the light. I see pathetic and feel pity. My sis sees pathetic and sees loser. As I said, I'm starting to take some pages from her book. (She's the one who got me hooked on baseball in the first place). No more sympathy for the Cubs from me! :tongue:

RadioheadRocks
05-25-2006, 01:03 AM
Let's not forget how Ron Santo and the Cub faithful bitched and moaned about Jose Valentin's emulation of Sosa's home run antics after launching one himself at Wriggly ("Don't make fun of Sammy, not my Sammy, not in his home, not here"); or how about Jose Cardenal who missed a game because he couldn't sleep due to the crickets chirping all night.

The list goes on and on...

maurice
05-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Farnsworth threw at a Reds pitcher and then attacked him. That's the only incident I know where a pitcher charged the batter's box.

Surprisingly, Chris De Luca (http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca25.html) "remembers" this incident differently:
In June 2003, Cubs reliever Kyle Farnsworth hit Cincinnati Reds pitcher Paul Wilson with a pitch as he squared to bunt. Wilson, who earlier hit Cubs hitter Moises Alou, charged the mound. Farnsworth picked up Wilson, threw him to the ground and delivered a punch to the head.

Actually, the video and photos show that "The Farns" charged the batter's box and dropped Wilson on the 3B line. The league office recognized this discrepancy and suspended the Cubbie reliever for 3 games. Wilson received the minimum suispension for a starting pitcher--5 games. (Considering a starter's off days, this almost amounts to a zero-game suspension, since it doesn't usually require the pitcher to miss any games; it merely pushes back a subsequent start by 1 day.)

1000ml
05-25-2006, 06:54 PM

That was Prior. Retaliation for Bonds hitting 2 HR off of Clement the night before
http://baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200305010SFN

Bonds had been hit twice by Wood 2 nights prior.
http://baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200304290SFN

If I remember the chicago media was enamored with how the Messiah did not back down.