PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Changing Their Tune

SBSoxFan
05-23-2006, 10:36 AM
This should be added to Hanger's May 23 media tracker, but until he makes one this is my response to chicagosports.com web log regarding the after math of the fight on Saturday. Here's the link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_whatsgoinon/2006/05/the_aftermath.html#more) to the log.

After it happened Saturday, the consensus, even among the Cubs, was that Barrett was out of line. He said he was sorry it happened and wished "it would all just go away." Two days later, apparently buoyed, by a stunning, late-inning comeback to salvage the final game of the series against the Sox, which, no doubt, in the simple minds of the Cubs and their fans, has them primed for a World Series run, the Cubs are singing a different song. Baker, who called Pierzynski's hit a clean, aggressive baseball play on Saturday, is now defending Barrett saying, after watching the replay, "It didn't show everything. Usually there's a cause and effect. Michael is not going to go off just for nothing. There had to be some cause for him to [punch Pierzynski]. Whether it's right or wrong, there's usually a cause." In the same article Barrett attributed his actions to his competitiveness, a good thing in his mind, and defended his actions saying "Do I apologize for it happening? Like I said, I don't like hitting another grown man, but something had to be done there in my opinion, whether it's pushing him away from me, which, looking back on it, would probably have been the right thing to do." In other words, no, Barrett is not going to apologize for his actions.

This is nothing new for Barrett. For at least the third time since 2004 he's acted like a goon on a baseball field. But apparently it's all okay if it's done in a competitive nature. This is also nothing new for the Cubs' organization. They are masters at spinning truth, making excuses, and placing blame everywhere except where it belongs --- at their own feet, or fists in this case.

Taking Barrett's history and his admittedly somewhat premeditated actions from Saturday into account, major league baseball should suspend him for a minimum of 20 games and order him to attend anger management training.

Oh, and how did the fightin' Cubs do in their next game? 9-1 loss to the Florida Marlins; it was only the Marlin's fourth win at home this year in 18 games. This team on the North side of Chicago is a joke, and doesn't deserve to share a field with the White Sox. The White Sox are primed for another playoff run, and should not be subjected to the possibility of losing a player long-term because another Cubs' player or, worse yet, a Cubs' fan loses it during the next series.

palehozenychicty
05-23-2006, 10:53 AM
In the pious world of the Tribune tower, Knue would declare that this can't be true since "there has always been a wall separating the Tribune editors and the Chicago Cubs." :rolleyes:

Seriously, the way both teams played yesterday tells you everything about them and more.

Hangar18
05-23-2006, 11:03 AM
............."Do I apologize for it happening? Like I said, I don't like hitting another grown man, but something had to be done there in my opinion, whether it's pushing him away from me, which, looking back on it, would probably have been the right thing to do." In other words, no, Barrett is not going to apologize for his actions.

This is nothing new for Barrett. For at least the third time since 2004 he's acted like a goon on a baseball field. But apparently it's all okay if it's done in a competitive nature. This is also nothing new for the Cubs' organization. They are masters at spinning truth, making excuses, and placing blame everywhere except where it belongs --- at their own feet, or fists in this case.

Taking Barrett's history and his admittedly somewhat premeditated actions from Saturday into account, major league baseball should suspend him for a minimum of 20 games and order him to attend anger management training.

The guy couldve IMMEDIATELY said Im SOrry and begged for forgiveness. One would have to forgive him and get past it. he didnt do that. in fact, the guy looks like hes walking around in a daze (is something wrong with him-besides being a cub?).
Hes a DirtBag. hes only able to get away with as much as he did because the Chicago Media has a love affair with him and continue to spin 1/2 truths and turn this thing into something it isnt. Having 1/2 the media making it look like its AJ's fault is IRRESPONSIBLE and LAZY

Uncle_Patrick
05-23-2006, 11:04 AM
In the same article Barrett attributed his actions to his competitiveness, a good thing in his mind, and defended his actions saying "Do I apologize for it happening? Like I said, I don't like hitting another grown man, but something had to be done there in my opinion, whether it's pushing him away from me, which, looking back on it, would probably have been the right thing to do."

Something had to be done? Fighting someone because of a hard nosed (and clean) play does not equal competitiveness. It means you're a moron and sore loser.

Hangar18
05-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Something had to be done? Fighting someone because of a hard nosed (and clean) play does not equal competitiveness. It means you're a moron and sore loser.

Blame this SQUARELY on the Chicago Media. 1/2 of them anyway. Their Moron fanbase ("he wasnt getting his helmet, it wasnt even there" "why did he slap the plate" "being in the baseline doesnt mean you get run over" "Everyone knows he runs over catchers for no reason" ) They are causing the Cubs to think they may have caught a break and that their "lovable loser" image may not take a hit after all (Thats false, Indian fan friend of mine said he couldnt believe that play, Barrett was bush league and came off as a sore loser, and said Cub organization/Cub fans here must be totally embarrassed. I told him Cub Corp has said NOTHING, and 95% of moron fanbase think AJ was in the wrong, or "Mustve said something")

Too bad the Media missed a good story................a chance to LAMBAST ZAMBOZO for his part in trying to instigate things on Sunday.

thegooch
05-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Blame this SQUARELY on the Chicago Media. 1/2 of them anyway. Their Moron fanbase ("he wasnt getting his helmet, it wasnt even there" "why did he slap the plate" "being in the baseline doesnt mean you get run over" "Everyone knows he runs over catchers for no reason" ) They are causing the Cubs to think they may have caught a break and that their "lovable loser" image may not take a hit after all (Thats false, Indian fan friend of mine said he couldnt believe that play, Barrett was bush league and came off as a sore loser, and said Cub organization/Cub fans here must be totally embarrassed. I told him Cub Corp has said NOTHING, and 95% of moron fanbase think AJ was in the wrong, or "Mustve said something")

Too bad the Media missed a good story................a chance to LAMBAST ZAMBOZO for his part in trying to instigate things on Sunday.

You know, I was all set before the last series, to let my feelings of hatred towards the flubbies and their mouthpiece, the cubune, go. But, after all of this garbage I find myself hating everything about that team even more than I used to, even more than Pre-WS Champ days. The only issue I'm having is that indifference might be the right play here. I think it angers the cubune and their moronic fans even more when we treat that bush league team from the northside with indifference.

That said, I hate Carlos Zambrano with a passion. He is a conceited POS.

Uncle_Patrick
05-23-2006, 12:00 PM

The Cubbie apologists and AJ haters are looking for a way to blame AJ in all this. The simple fact is that Barrett over-reacted to the play. Here is how the whole thing transpired after the play:

1. AJ slaps plate
2. Both players get up
3. As AJ walks past Barrett, his shoulder bumps into Barrett at the same time Barrett has his left arm in front of AJ and Barrett cries "I didn't have the ball, bitch!" and swings at AJ with his right arm.

This all takes place in less than 10 seconds.

There was no reaction by Barrett to any bump from AJ. Barrett was already set to go at AJ. BARRETT REACTED TO THE PLAY! His comment to AJ was about the play! It wasn't about AJ bumping into him or taking a step towards him. He didn't react from being bumped because he was already going to throw the punch. Now Dusty and the media are looking for a cause? Look no further than that play. The evidence is all there.

Hangar18
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
3. As AJ walks past Barrett, his shoulder bumps into Barrett ..........

Correction. Barrett purposely goes to his left ............in order to bump into AJ. Aj's head is clearly turned. Barrett instigated this.

Uncle_Patrick
05-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Correction. Barrett purposely goes to his left ............in order to bump into AJ. Aj's head is clearly turned. Barrett instigated this.

Very true, Barrett was reaching out to grab AJ.

miker
05-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Very true, Barrett was reaching out to grab AJ.
Maybe Barrett thought A.J. needed a hug...

rightsox
05-23-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm sure Ozzie will be a lot less equivocal than Dusty was when Thornton runs a 96mph fastball right in Barrett's back at Wrigley.

"**** that ****ing suckerpunching piece of ****. He got what he ****ing deserved." (followed by 2 minutes of random tourette-ish swearing.)

I love Ozzie.

MadetoOrta
05-23-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm sure Ozzie will be a lot less equivocal than Dusty was when Thornton runs a 96mph fastball right in Barrett's back at Wrigley.

"**** that ****ing suckerpunching piece of ****. He got what he ****ing deserved." (followed by 2 minutes of random tourette-ish swearing.)

I love Ozzie.

Me too. I listen to him as intently as I used to listen to Mike Ditka's post-game press conferences. It's great entertainment and you never know what he's going to say next.

TDog
05-23-2006, 06:34 PM
The Cubs want to minimize Barrett's blame as the league considers suspensions.

It's too bad they can't suspend Baker and Hill for saying stupid things.

jenn2080
05-24-2006, 08:54 AM

I have to agree too. At no point did AJ look like he was even making contact with Barrett. He got up walked around to get his helmet...Barrett was already walking toward AJ. Do people forget that Barrett is a little hot head and this is not his first fight. Barrett is a little bitch.

DrCrawdad
05-24-2006, 09:01 AM

I love Ozzie.

Not to nit pick, but with Thornton throwing left-handed and Barrett batting righty, isn't it unlikely for Barrett to get hit in the back?

drewcifer
05-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Not to nit pick, but with Thornton throwing left-handed and Barrett batting righty, isn't it unlikely for Barrett to get hit in the back?

Yep, you're right.

A cutter in to the nuts will have to do.

DrCrawdad
05-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Yep, you're right.

A cutter in to the nuts will have to do.

Jeez, could you have picked a smaller target? I don't think Thornton has that type of pinpoint accuracy.

Mr.1Dog
05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Jeez, could you have picked a smaller target? I don't think Thornton has that type of pinpoint accuracy. :rolling: :rolling: :thumbsup:

slavko
05-24-2006, 11:14 AM
The Cubbie apologists and AJ haters are looking for a way to blame AJ in all this. The simple fact is that Barrett over-reacted to the play. Here is how the whole thing transpired after the play:

1. AJ slaps plate
2. Both players get up
3. As AJ walks past Barrett, his shoulder bumps into Barrett at the same time Barrett has his left arm in front of AJ and Barrett cries "I didn't have the ball, bitch!" and swings at AJ with his right arm.

This all takes place in less than 10 seconds.

There was no reaction by Barrett to any bump from AJ. Barrett was already set to go at AJ. BARRETT REACTED TO THE PLAY! His comment to AJ was about the play! It wasn't about AJ bumping into him or taking a step towards him. He didn't react from being bumped because he was already going to throw the punch. Now Dusty and the media are looking for a cause? Look no further than that play. The evidence is all there.

As Barrett reached for AJ, AJ shifted his hips to the right to get out of the way. That makes it look as if his shoulder is being lowered (try it yourself). AJ is blameless in this instance.

Ol' No. 2
05-24-2006, 11:36 AM
As Barrett reached for AJ, AJ shifted his hips to the right to get out of the way. That makes it look as if his shoulder is being lowered (try it yourself). AJ is blameless in this instance.This whole thing is beyond stupid. Even if you were to accept Barrett's thin explanation, he had his arms around Pierzynski. That should have been sufficient. AJ was no threat to him at the time. Barrett just clocked him in retaliation. Case closed.