PDA

View Full Version : Barrett not backing down

Uncle_Patrick
05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060522cubsbrite,1,4602699.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Thoughts? Mine is this: sometimes you know a guy is the right and you are in the wrong, but you still feel he's wrong so you have to find a reason why you are justified. Barrett knows the play was legit, but he still feels that since he didn't have the ball, AJ shouldn't have knocked him down. He can't argue that, though, because he knows he's wrong, so he's looking for other excuses to defend his actions.

Scottiehaswheels
05-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Seriously... I hate to feed the machine but I'm REALLY tempted to buy tix behind home plate for Cubs games and take a sign that says something like No Longer Loveable, Just Sore Losers...

Hangar18
05-23-2006, 09:57 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060522cubsbrite,1,4602699.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Thoughts? Mine is this: sometimes you know a guy is the right and you are in the wrong, but you still feel he's wrong so you have to find a reason why you are justified. Barrett knows the play was legit, but he still feels that since he didn't have the ball, AJ shouldn't have knocked him down. He can't argue that, though, because he knows he's wrong, so he's looking for other excuses to defend his actions.

I never realized how dumb this guy must be in real life until all of this started happening. In interviews, he carefully and slowly chooses his words, not because he wants to say the right thing, but because he really doesnt have an idea whats going on. Only makes me laugh now ........... he perfectly represents that team and their fanbase (apologies to the 5% of flub fans that actually get it and think hes a moron)

Dan H
05-23-2006, 09:59 AM
The more Barrett talks, the dumber he looks. What is he going to do? Fight every runner who knocks him down at the plate? There is no way to justify what he did. This won't even bring the Cubs together. They stink, their traditions stink, and they are their way to an even 100 years without a championship. And if AJ is a hot dog, just what is that goof Zambrano?

patbooyah
05-23-2006, 10:01 AM
What a douchebag. How he can continue to claim that AJ was "coming at him" is beyond me. He had to wrap his arm around AJ to even get the confrontation started.

Uncle_Patrick
05-23-2006, 10:07 AM
What a douchebag. How he can continue to claim that AJ was "coming at him" is beyond me. He had to wrap his arm around AJ to even get the confrontation started.

Amen. That's the fact that everyone overlooks. People tend to cling to their "Well, AJ must have said something to set him off" theory.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Barrett is a belligerent idiot.

LongLiveFisk
05-23-2006, 10:12 AM
He obviously doesn't have what it takes to be a catcher.

Move on, nothing more to see here.

Hangar18
05-23-2006, 10:21 AM
........... and take a sign that says something like No Longer Loveable, Just Sore Losers...

What a great phrase ........... well done!

doogiec
05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
From Barrett's comments:

"But after somebody knocks you down ... the way I look at it is, if I'm out walking down the street and somebody knocks me down and I get back up and he's standing over me or coming back at me again, what are you going to do?"

The above comment may well be the stupidest thing I've ever heard come out of a professional athlete's mouth (Cub or not).

He really doesn't understand the difference between a collision in a baseball game and randomly getting attacked while walking on the street?

I hope MLB reads this article, realizes his prior "contrition" was BS spoon fed to him by the Cubs PR dept, and hits him with an extra few days.

itsnotrequired
05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
From Barrett's comments:

"But after somebody knocks you down ... the way I look at it is, if I'm out walking down the street and somebody knocks me down and I get back up and he's standing over me or coming back at me again, what are you going to do?"

:o:

Is he really that dumb? He should replace "walking down the street" with "standing on someone's front steps and blocking them from getting in their own house" to paint a more realistic picture. And we all know how silly the quote would sound then.

rocky biddle
05-23-2006, 01:48 PM
I said this in another thread, all these articles and new explanations that are coming out are just spin to place blame anywhere but on the cubs. Baker and Barrett are obviously using the media to try to sway the commissioner's office into believing the fight wasn't Barrett's fault, and therefore lessen his suspension. The sad thing is, the Chicago media will help them with their cause.

Uncle_Patrick
05-23-2006, 01:54 PM
From Barrett's comments:

The above comment may well be the stupidest thing I've ever heard come out of a professional athlete's mouth (Cub or not).

He really doesn't understand the difference between a collision in a baseball game and randomly getting attacked while walking on the street?

I hope MLB reads this article, realizes his prior "contrition" was BS spoon fed to him by the Cubs PR dept, and hits him with an extra few days.

His comments just reinforce my belief that while he might know that the play clean, he still feels it was unwarranted. The rest of the crap is just excuse making, especially Dusty's comments about something on the replay that we're not seeing.

Hangar18
05-23-2006, 01:59 PM
...................are obviously using the media to try to sway the commissioner's office into believing the fight wasn't Barrett's fault, and therefore lessen his suspension. The sad thing is, the Chicago media will help them with their cause.

Yup. The Good Old Chicago Media. Getting involved in business they should just keep their noses out of and simply report.

rocky biddle
05-23-2006, 02:03 PM
His comments just reinforce my belief that while he might know that the play clean, he still feels it was unwarranted. The rest of the crap is just excuse making, especially Dusty's comments about something on the replay that we're not seeing.

He feels stupid. Let's review the facts- He got knocked on his ass, threw a temper tantrum like an infant and threw a sucker punch that didn't put the man down. Now he's saying anything he can think of (or he's told to say) to make him look justified. His ego is bruised and he's trying to save face.

tebman
05-23-2006, 02:35 PM
He feels stupid. Let's review the facts- He got knocked on his ass, threw a temper tantrum like an infant and threw a sucker punch that didn't put the man down. Now he's saying anything he can think of (or he's told to say) to make him look justified. His ego is bruised and he's trying to save face.
:yup:

Anybody who has raised children, or has seen children, or has been a child, recognizes this pattern: an event (squabble with a sibling, a broken lamp, etc.), followed by stammering contrition ("...I don't know...I guess..."), followed by an ever-more detailed justification for what happened ("He was looking at me!" "I didn't know the lamp was there!").

We can only hope that MLB's Office of Most Severe Punishments recognizes this pattern as well.

Flight #24
05-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm just impressed at Barrett's general restraint. I mean if someone threw a baseball at me on the street, I'd jump them - it happens to him every day and he does NOTHING!

(now where's that "dumbass" tag)

twsoxfan5
05-23-2006, 02:43 PM

My thoughts exactly. Could he have made a worse comparison?

HotelWhiteSox
05-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Here's another ****ty article where Barrett takes a shot at Sox fans by trying to disguise it as a compliment. http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg22.html

"I expected the crowd to react in the way they did,'' Barrett said. "That is their right. All in all, I appreciate the White Sox fans' class. No one ran on the field and tried to hurt me.''

While Couch had no problem directly ripping Sox fans, and now using the characteristics of Wrigley in a negative way now that he claims to have seen them at the Cell. What an *******, why doesn't he call me when he does a piece on Wrigley and see if he can keep count of things he sees there.

maurice
05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm just impressed at Barrett's general restraint. I mean if someone threw a baseball at me on the street, I'd jump them - it happens to him every day and he does NOTHING!

LOL!

SoxandtheCityTee
05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
The problem with Barrett & Co. continuing to run their mouths is that they're already on paper, and tape, with what are called in the legal business prior inconsistent statements. Barrett himself said postgame that he didn't see AJ slap the plate, and also said that he (Barrett) did not hear AJ say anything before he (Barrett) punched him. I saw this myself on TiVo. So much for Dusty's hinting or speculating -- days later -- that AJ "must've" said something.

Trying to use the press to lobby MLB before the suspensions are handed down, if that's what they're doing, is stupid, but will it work? Most national media pronounced the play clean; for example, Mike & Mike on ESPN radio nominated Barrett for their Just Shut Up award (he came in second to Wells on Bonds) -- I'm not saying that they necesssarily get things right all the time, I just mean that the Trib/Cub conjoined twins can't spin this thing THAT much.

Barrett has extremely poor impulse control but lacks what some hotheads have to go with it, the stubborness to stick to their guns afterward. Barrett wants to be liked, on top of it all, and so at first he confesses error, and talks about the kids watching, and his being a grown man, blah blah blah -- and when that doesn't end it, he feels betrayed, abused, even victimized (Hey, I SAID I was sorry! What is all this?). So he decides that he really WASN'T wrong, because in his mind the confession was not about accepting responsibility and the consequences of his actions, but rather avoiding them.

So he's probably still be talking about it while he serves his suspension, unless management shuts him up. Given their track record on that and the team's desperate need to miniimze his time out of the line-up, they all may keep yapping. Whether it will be effective, we'll have to see.

jenn2080
05-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Seriously... I hate to feed the machine but I'm REALLY tempted to buy tix behind home plate for Cubs games and take a sign that says something like No Longer Loveable, Just Sore Losers...

Im with you on that one. Barrett needs to hit up the midol bottle and stop whinning

maurice
05-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Chicagoist (http://www.chicagoist.com/archives/2006/05/22/fireworks_during_cubswhite_sox_series.php#comments ) chimes in on the incident:
Will the league punish A.J. Pierzynski? They certainly shouldn't. In fact, Chicagoist still hasn't figured out exactly why he was even tossed from Saturday's game! While Cubs fans continue to insist that Sox fans are the violent ones, it seems that both the Cubs players and fans are the violent ones of late. Fans throwing balls on the field. Players punching others for no reason. We guess that's what 100 years without a title can do that to people.

Some of the Cubbie propaganda responses to his 'blog post are, um, interesting. Some of you may want to add your own responses.

White Sox Randy
05-23-2006, 04:12 PM
AJ did nothing wrong and probably won't be suspended.

I believe that Barrett would have done nothing if it was any player other than AJ that scored.

Uncle_Patrick
05-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I believe that Barrett would have done nothing if it was any player other than AJ that scored.

I'm not so sure. So far, I've yet to read or hear anything from Barrett saying that he acted the way he acted specifically because of AJ. Prior to this event, there was no negative history between them, at least that I am aware of. He hasn't said anything like, "When AJ comes towards you, you don't know what he'll do."

Now, if any player other than AJ was involved, the media would have no problem laying blame sqaurely on Barrett.

PorkChopExpress
05-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Also, AJ said after the game that he had an exact quote of what Barrett told him right before he suckerpunched him - "I didn't have the ball *****!" Then he punched him. If Barrett was concerned that AJ was coming at him, then why didn't he say something to the effect of, "why don't you just head to your own dugout," or, "get away from our dugout," or, "why are you coming at me?" The answer is simple - Barrett wasn't concerned that AJ was coming towards him, he was pissed that AJ knocked him on his tail and that is why he suckerpunched him. All the other excuses are just that - excuses.

MadetoOrta
05-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Why doesn't Barrett, Baker and the rest of the morons up north start concentrating on something of somewhat more importance to them - winning baseball games. What losers.

Vernam
05-23-2006, 04:49 PM

Thoughts? Mine is this: sometimes you know a guy is the right and you are in the wrong, but you still feel he's wrong so you have to find a reason why you are justified. Barrett knows the play was legit, but he still feels that since he didn't have the ball, AJ shouldn't have knocked him down. He can't argue that, though, because he knows he's wrong, so he's looking for other excuses to defend his actions.Bad way to start a thread, Uncle_Patrick, by so perfectly summing up the situation. :wink: Doesn't leave much for the rest of us to sink our teeth into . . .

Seriously, this melodrama has legs because it's such a perfect metaphor of Soxdom vs. Cubdom. Barrett is the clean-cut kid who is at least slightly repelled by his counterpart to the south. He's too old to cry on mommy's skirt, but -- with plenty of encouragement from his team's whiny fan base -- he can't help playing the baby in full public view, even though he knows he's wrong.

On the other hand, AJ is a rough-edged guy who thrives more by guile and determination than by sheer talent. He ain't pretty, but all he does is win. He has fun playing up his street cred until that image overtakes the reality and the mainstream media start demonizing him as some kind of thug. Any wonder why Sox fans love him?

And to Cub fans, AJ symbolizes everything they hate about the Sox. That's the audience Moronotti was pandering to when he wrote his asinine Sunday column praising Barrett as morally superior to AJ -- the Moron has an intuitive understanding of how to press those buttons. No sportswriter could've invented a more perfect pair of stereotypes to represent these two teams, and that's partly why this controversy won't go away overnight.

Vernam

JohnBasedowYoda
05-23-2006, 05:11 PM
He doesn't need to back down... He needs to shut his pie-hole.

JB98
05-23-2006, 06:01 PM
AJ did nothing wrong and probably won't be suspended.

Agree on the first point and disagree on the second. Barrett tried to pick a fight with Dave Roberts of the Padres just last week. He pulls **** like this all the time. He's a hot-headed piece of crap.

The media flap is much greater because AJ is the Sox player involved. AJ's past history has nothing to do with this particular incident. That's what a lot of people don't seem to understand.

SBSoxFan
05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Baker also accused BA of "ambushing" Marbry. :rolleyes:

I think BA's gonna see at least 5 games, but please Dusty stop. All this spinning is making me so dizzy. :nuts:

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Barrett should just ****.

DickAllen72
05-23-2006, 06:57 PM
On one of these threads yeaterday someone posted that Boers & Bernstein have a tape of Barrett Saturday morning saying that the Cubs need a fight to get them going. It was stated that B&B were forwarding this tape to MLB.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? If so, any news on this front? Thanks.

PS If true, this would prove the fight was pre-meditated on Barrett's behalf. He was just waiting for the first opportunity to start a brawl. That's probably why he was blocking the plate without the ball. This would warrant a most severe suspension IMHO.

Pierzynski 12
05-23-2006, 06:58 PM
The brawl really got the Cubs going.:rolleyes:

DickAllen72
05-23-2006, 07:00 PM
The brawl really got the Cubs going.:rolleyes:

Hey, they did win one in a row! :tongue:

Pierzynski 12
05-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Hey, they did win one in a row! :tongue:
Yesterday, they lose to the Marlins.:rolling:

JB98
05-23-2006, 07:14 PM

And the pitcher they traded to the Marlins for Pierre kicked their asses, both with his arm and with his bat. LOL. :rolleyes:

Vernam
05-23-2006, 07:22 PM
And the pitcher they traded to the Marlins for Pierre kicked their asses, both with his arm and with his bat. LOL. :rolleyes:Yeah, but with any luck, they'll sign Pierre to a massive, multi-year contract that totally justifies dealing those prime prospects to the Marlins.

BTW, what's the all-time single-season record for lowest OBP by a full-time lead-off man?

Vernam

JB98
05-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but with any luck, they'll sign Pierre to a massive, multi-year contract that totally justifies dealing those prime prospects to the Marlins.

BTW, what's the all-time single-season record for lowest OBP by a full-time lead-off man?

Vernam

Corey Patterson probably owns that record. The Cubs already gave multi-year deals to Jacque Jones, Neifi Perez and Glendon Rusch. Pierre deserves one too.

rookie
05-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Bad way to start a thread, Uncle_Patrick, by so perfectly summing up the situation. :wink: Doesn't leave much for the rest of us to sink our teeth into . . .

Seriously, this melodrama has legs because it's such a perfect metaphor of Soxdom vs. Cubdom. Barrett is the clean-cut kid who is at least slightly repelled by his counterpart to the south. He's too old to cry on mommy's skirt, but -- with plenty of encouragement from his team's whiny fan base -- he can't help playing the baby in full public view, even though he knows he's wrong.

On the other hand, AJ is a rough-edged guy who thrives more by guile and determination than by sheer talent. He ain't pretty, but all he does is win. He has fun playing up his street cred until that image overtakes the reality and the mainstream media start demonizing him as some kind of thug. Any wonder why Sox fans love him?

And to Cub fans, AJ symbolizes everything they hate about the Sox. That's the audience Moronotti was pandering to when he wrote his asinine Sunday column praising Barrett as morally superior to AJ -- the Moron has an intuitive understanding of how to press those buttons. No sportswriter could've invented a more perfect pair of stereotypes to represent these two teams, and that's partly why this controversy won't go away overnight.

Vernam

Amen. Preach it!

McCuddy
05-23-2006, 10:22 PM

Tonight, too. This incident has solidified the team.

Soxfanspcu11
05-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Why does ANYONE think that this guy has class??:?:

He has been involved in a handful of incidents over his relatively short career, MANY more than most players EVER have.

He even had that play against the Sox in spring training where it was debated on whether he tried to intentionally take out Pods.

We talked about it on here a lot. I remember because I said that I would personally take him out if he hurt Pods.

Then this classy guy sucker punches another player! What a joke!

Who the **** hits someone like that?? The GIRLS that I am friends with have told me that this is how GIRLS fight. Yes, I repeat, GIRLS. One of my girl friends said that what Barrett did was step by step exactly what one of her friends did to a guy at a bar about a year ago. Put her arms around him, brought him in close to act like she had something to say, then WHAM!!!

So........not only is this man completely lacking in class, he is a punk who fights like a woman. What a great guy!!!

P.S. No offense to the women Sox fans out there, I don't mean to compare you to human garbage like this, but you get what I'm saying.

McCuddy
05-23-2006, 11:09 PM
"I expected the crowd to react in the way they did,'' Barrett said. "That is their right. All in all, I appreciate the White Sox fans' class. No one ran on the field and tried to hurt me.''

Well, we could have thrown baseballs at your head and insulted your race, Michael, but we didn't want it to feel like a home game.

voodoochile
05-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Completely
Unbelievable
Barrett
Stupidity

RadioheadRocks
05-24-2006, 06:53 PM
ATTENTION ALL PHOTOSHOP-PERS: Since I know we have a talented bunch and alas I don't have PhotoShop, I propose a fun activity. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to locate a suitable picture of Michael Barrett and superimpose it on top of The Barroid in the following picture:

http://cache.deadspin.com/images/2006/04/assinjection.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what everyone can come up with... be creative and have fun!!!

Layla
05-24-2006, 09:13 PM
On one of these threads yeaterday someone posted that Boers & Bernstein have a tape of Barrett Saturday morning saying that the Cubs need a fight to get them going. It was stated that B&B were forwarding this tape to MLB.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? If so, any news on this front? Thanks.

PS If true, this would prove the fight was pre-meditated on Barrett's behalf. He was just waiting for the first opportunity to start a brawl. That's probably why he was blocking the plate without the ball. This would warrant a most severe suspension IMHO.

I heard them play the tape. But have no idea if they were going to forward it to MLB.

DickAllen72
05-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks, Layla.

TomBradley72
05-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Keep talking Barrett....can't wait to hear your quotes over the week and a half you'll be suspended as your team relies on Blanco....your Cubbies are on the edge of the abyss as is it is. Your little emotional hissiefit will push them over the edge. As a White Sox fan...I thank you for being a typical, overly emotional member of Cubdom.

Hitmen77
05-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Speaking of Barrett, did anyone catch the Sox game on Comcast last night? Around the 8th or 9th inning they ran an ad for "Avenue Chevrolet" that had Barrett in it endorsing that dealership.

They ran this during a Sox game?!!??! Do these dopes realize that people who are watching that game are Sox fans? I bet this Chevy dealership won over a bunch of new customers last night.

McCuddy
05-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Speaking of Barrett, did anyone catch the Sox game on Comcast last night? Around the 8th or 9th inning they ran an ad for "Avenue Chevrolet" that had Barrett in it endorsing that dealership.

They ran this during a Sox game?!!??! Do these dopes realize that people who are watching that game are Sox fans? I bet this Chevy dealership won over a bunch of new customers last night.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nl/chicubs/BarrettChC.jpg

"You can't beat their deals. I tried."