PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Tribute Video

BNLSox
05-23-2006, 01:27 AM
For those of us out of market, the tribute video was not shown. Any one have it or know where to find it online? I'm sure I'm not the only one who missed it and would love to see it.

Milw
05-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Speaking of this, Scott Reifert repeatedly promised in his blog a "second tribute" in addition to the montage tonight, but unless I missed it, there wasn't anything. Anybody know what the deal is there?

mike squires
05-23-2006, 01:56 AM
I may be in the minority here, but I was dissapointed with the tribute. I thought there would be something bigger before the game (considering he is arguably the greatest whitesox player of all time) maybe a gift or presentation of some sort. Maybe they are saving that for when they retire his number. Anyway, the video was WAAAAAAY too short and only had a few calls from Rooney and Hawk. Afterwards it showed him in the dugout with a reflective somber look on his face. He wasn't too down cause he promptly put a ball in the right field stands. I thought the video was poorly done and could have covered a lot more. Didn't they have a gift for Robin when he came back as a Yankee? The Robin video was much better. They should ahve done the video right before the game.

In answer to your question, I'm not sure if it is available on the net.

hi im skot
05-23-2006, 03:32 AM
Speaking of this, Scott Reifert repeatedly promised in his blog a "second tribute" in addition to the montage tonight, but unless I missed it, there wasn't anything. Anybody know what the deal is there?

I think Gene Honda's classic "Now batting, #35...FRAAAAANK THOMAS!" was the second tribute.

I loved that moment...

whitesoxwilkes
05-23-2006, 07:09 AM
I think Gene Honda's classic "Now batting, #35...FRAAAAANK THOMAS!" was the second tribute.

I loved that moment...

That's exactly what it was. Reifert said he wanted to pay tribute to him "one last time"...and that's how they did it. Notice Honda said it normally the other 3 times he was up.

salty99
05-23-2006, 07:35 AM
They are not going to replay the tribute because of the copyright of the songs, etc. I agree that the tribute was just SO SO.

soxinem1
05-23-2006, 07:41 AM
I thought the tribute was lame, as were the fans. I not only heard a lot of boos, a lot of the supposed fans just stood. No claps, cheers, yells, thanks, nothing.

A friend of mine who was also there said he heard some idiot yell 'steriods' at Thomas when he first came out to swing.

I hoped that we could get at least a five minute ovation after the tip of the cap from Frank, but the bandwagon jumpers blew it for us.

EDIT: I hit save by accident before I finished this.

seventytwo
05-23-2006, 07:45 AM
Frank did take his helmet off and acknowledge the crowd before his first at bat.

TomBradley72
05-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I thought the tribute was lame, as were the fans. I not only heard a lot of boos, a lot of the supposed fans just stood. No claps, cheers, yells, thanks, nothing.

A friend of mine who was also there said he heard some idiot yell 'steriods' at Thomas when he first came out to swing.

I hoped that we could get at least a five minute ovation after the tip of the cap from Frank, but the bandwagon jumpers blew it for us.

Disagree 100%. He got a semi-standing ovation during the video tribute. A full fledged, long, standing ovation before his 1st AB....another after he hit his 1st HR....another after his 2nd HR. And after each AB...the cheers became mixed with boos (of respect) as he was putting up runs as an opponent. The fans were classy, Frank got his moments in the sun, and we got a White Sox winner.

24thStFan
05-23-2006, 09:19 AM
The fans were classy, Frank got his moments in the sun, and we got a White Sox winner.

Sounds like the best of all possible situations. Congratulations, Sox fans, you showed a lot of class last night and the national media (ESPN, ESPN radio, and XM radio) are talking positively about us.:cheers:

SoxFan78
05-23-2006, 09:20 AM
I still don't know what the second tribute was supposed to be. Maybe they will do it tonight.

Blob
05-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Disagree 100%. He got a semi-standing ovation during the video tribute. A full fledged, long, standing ovation before his 1st AB....another after he hit his 1st HR....another after his 2nd HR. And after each AB...the cheers became mixed with boos (of respect) as he was putting up runs as an opponent. The fans were classy, Frank got his moments in the sun, and we got a White Sox winner.

I'm a huge Frank fan. I agree with what you said.

I think everything they did was fine. You can't fault a few idiots who booed or said some mean things. that was expected. Not everyone is a fan.

They will eventually retire his number and I'm sure he will have a statue put up in his honor in the outfield someday as well. Frank will have many more chances to be applauded at the Cell.

RKMeibalane
05-23-2006, 09:23 AM

Agreed. The fans weren't booing to be rude to Frank. They were booing because the Sox were losing. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but when Frank stepped in for his third at-bat (just before his second home run), it looked he was laughing because of the boos. If it doesn't bother Frank, it shouldn't bother anyone else.

As for the bandwaggoners, there were a few there, but that's always going to be the case. Cubs fans aren't smart enough to find anything else to do with their time.

woodsdavid
05-23-2006, 10:24 AM

i can understand the perspective, but i saw it differently. granted i was in 542 last night, but from where i was sitting:

the video tribute was sufficient (frank is the sox best former player ever, but given how he blasted kenny and jerry and the fact that he's not on our team anymore -- i was surprised to see any video tribute),
there was much more cheering than booing for frank during his first at bat. i was glad to see that, but let's think about it: if frank would have left without the patented whining, there would have been no booing.
there was WAY too much cheering for him when he hit the HRs. i couldn't believe that. what are people thinking? i'm just glad we won despite the HRs
the ovation he got at the first at bat was just fine. now that he's tipped his hat, let's play baseball. and they did.
agreed that there are/were morons in the stands (c'mon it's baseball, not a MENSA meeting. And BTW, did you ever take the red line home from a game: moron-a-palooza). but what idiot yells "steriods" at frank.

hi im skot
05-23-2006, 11:22 AM
I still don't know what the second tribute was supposed to be. Maybe they will do it tonight.

read the entire thread. you'll find the answer.

INSox56
05-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I like Frank's response to the booing after his first AB and homer....(from sox.com)
"...the loud cheers had turned to a smattering of boos. "That's the way it should be," said Thomas with a smile, when asked before the game how he would handle the fans booing if he knocked out four hits and a couple of home runs. It turned out to be a very prophetic question."

esbrechtel
05-23-2006, 11:35 AM
He wasn't too down cause he promptly put a ball in the right field stands.

it was actually in the left field stands about 6 feet away from me.....

maurice
05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
The fans were great. For every one person booing there were 20 cheering. After Frank hit the 1st HR, OTOH, all bets were off. Great job, Sox fans.
:gulp:

IMHO, the Sox showed a serious lack of class here. First, the "tributes" were nice but really nothing special. (Riefort said there would be a "ceremony" between the first and second innings. *****, a video =/= a ceremony.) The best tribute by far (the fans' reaction) had nothing to do with the organization. It wouldn't have killed them to retire his number like they've did for Harold (a very good player, but not even close to Frank's level). Second, KW (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-hurt23.html) again showed his lack of class by seizing the opportunity to take even more shots at Frank (and a veiled shot at the fans, also):
I was pretty clear about my feelings....What I had to say, I meant....Whatever these people [aka Sox fans] have to--they don't know what I know. All they know is what happened on the field. They can react accordingly.
Gee, thanks for giving us ignorant people permission to react, Kenny. You again showed us that we know something that you don't know: the meaning of the word "class."

If KW couldn't restrain himself, he should have just stayed in NC until after the series ended. Apparently, it was too much trouble for him to just **** for three days.
:angry:

RKMeibalane
05-23-2006, 01:50 PM
The fans were great. For every one person booing there were 20 cheering. After Frank hit the 1st HR, OTOH, all bets were off. Great job, Sox fans.
:gulp:

IMHO, the Sox showed a serious lack of class here. First, the "tributes" were nice but really nothing special. (Riefort said there would be a "ceremony" between the first and second innings. *****, a video =/= a ceremony.) The best tribute by far (the fans' reaction) had nothing to do with the organization. It wouldn't have killed them to retire his number like they've did for Harold (a very good player, but not even close to Frank's level). Second, KW (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-hurt23.html) again showed his lack of class by seizing the opportunity to take even more shots at Frank (and a veiled shot at the fans, also):

Gee, thanks for giving us permission to react. If KW couldn't restrain himself, he should have just stayed in NC until after the series ended. Apparently, it was too much trouble for KW to just **** for one day.
:angry:

KW is who he is. I'm not sure why he doesn't like Frank, but I guess that's his business. Williams is a first-class GM, but he's also been acting a first-class jerk lately. I think that World Championship has enlarged his head a few hat sizes.

spiffie
05-23-2006, 01:56 PM

Regarding Kenny, whatever he wants to say, fine. I don't care either way.

As for the rest of it, you save the giant gushing tributes for when the guy is no longer trying to beat your team. The Sox looked foolish retiring Harold's number when he ended up playing another freaking decade and had two more stints with us, and I like to think that lesson is still remembered in the organizational memory. When Frank is ready to hang up the spikes for good I hope they can do the one day contract deal, let him "retire as a member of the White Sox" and then that next season they can have Frank Thomas day where they retire his number, unveil the statue of him that he deserves, and show highlights every half inning of great Frank Thomas moments. But for right now he's a guy on another team still playing and still playing against us.

Milw
05-23-2006, 02:18 PM
there was WAY too much cheering for him when he hit the HRs. i couldn't believe that. what are people thinking? i'm just glad we won despite the HRs

Some things are bigger than a single game.

That was SO classy of our fans to applaud that home run last night. I was extremely proud to be a Sox Fan at that moment. Sox Fans are loyal and we understand the big picture. That was proven last night.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad we got Frank out in the 10th, and I'm glad we ultimately won the game. But my favorite player doesn't instantly turn into my enemy just because he's wearing another team's jersey. If that's the case for you, then you're awfully fickle.

If you never liked Frank to begin with, then that's something different altogether. But I don't see how somebody could give Frank a standing O before the at bat and then suddenly turn their back on him after the at bat.

Flight #24
05-23-2006, 02:40 PM
When Frank is ready to hang up the spikes for good I hope they can do the one day contract deal, let him "retire as a member of the White Sox" and then that next season they can have Frank Thomas day where they retire his number, unveil the statue of him that he deserves, and show highlights every half inning of great Frank Thomas moments. But for right now he's a guy on another team still playing and still playing against us.

This is a great idea. Unfortunately, I am 100% sure of 2 things:
1) Frank will retire within the next 2-3 years (if not this offseason), and
2) Kenny Williams will fight with every iota of his being any tribute to Frank that involves him wearing a Sox uni "officially", even just for a retirement.:(:

Hopefully JR overrules him, which IMO is exactly what happened to make last night's tribute occur.

DSpivack
05-23-2006, 02:49 PM
I remember going to "Scottie Pippen's last game at the UC" when he was on the Blazers, full tribute and everything. Whoops. He ended up on the Bulls the next year.

Let's wait until Frank actually retires to give the right, full tribute.

WizardsofOzzie
05-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Agreed. The fans weren't booing to be rude to Frank. They were booing because the Sox were losing. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but when Frank stepped in for his third at-bat (just before his second home run), it looked he was laughing because of the boos. If it doesn't bother Frank, it shouldn't bother anyone else.

As for the bandwaggoners, there were a few there, but that's always going to be the case. Cubs fans aren't smart enough to find anything else to do with their time.

I applauded franks first AB, first HR, (missed the 2nd AB) and second HR. the only time i was booing was when garland gave up that 2nd HR. And i wasn't booing frank, i was booing garland. He got under my skin last nite

FedEx227
05-23-2006, 03:34 PM
I do agree with people saying that there should have been more, I was hoping for some type of retired number deal (ala Harold Baines), or some type of present or presentation.

But first and foremost this was a baseball game. I'd love for the video to have been longer, but there is a game that needs to go on, for Frank yes it is his moment, but there are 49 other people who have absolutely nothing to do with this moment that are being pushed back or told to wait.

I like the idea of having a full DAY one of these days, full of retirements, statues, videos, presentation... but of course do it before the game begins. They easily could have done that today, but hey we'll see if they have anything planned for today.

soxinem1
05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I do agree with people saying that there should have been more, I was hoping for some type of retired number deal (ala Harold Baines), or some type of present or presentation.

But first and foremost this was a baseball game. I'd love for the video to have been longer, but there is a game that needs to go on, for Frank yes it is his moment, but there are 49 other people who have absolutely nothing to do with this moment that are being pushed back or told to wait.

I like the idea of having a full DAY one of these days, full of retirements, statues, videos, presentation... but of course do it before the game begins. They easily could have done that today, but hey we'll see if they have anything planned for today.

Which is my point exactly. Despite all the bad stuff, Thomas is the BEST HITTER IN TEAM HISTORY! A 120 second video followed by a 40 second ovation is all that is accorded?

C'mon, they should have had Frank highlights (there were only about a thousand to choose from) between every inning and continue to do so throughout the series.

How often does a team these days, especially the White Sox who never experienced many players with long continuety with the team, have something like this to celebrate? The video montage was lame, and seemed like it was tossed together at the last second, which was the same crappy way they handled Baines' uniform retiring.

On my end, I guess once I heard the 'steroid' yeller (anyone else hear this in CF last night?) it was spoiled. If it wasn't for Frank tipping his helmet (don't like that funky green too much....) the moment would have been a total sham.

anewman35
05-23-2006, 08:00 PM
C'mon, they should have had Frank highlights (there were only about a thousand to choose from) between every inning and continue to do so throughout the series.

That's the type of thing you save for a retirement ceremony or something. Yesterday, Frank was trying to beat the White Sox, and very nearly did. I can't imagine people would have been very happy seeing Frank highlight after Frank highlight in the middle of the game when we were down 4-0 because of him. They gave him his moment, any more would just disrespect the current team.

bigsqwert
05-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Someone wanted to see the tribute video? Well here it is. Not the best video quality since I was using a point-n-click digital camera but better than nothing I guess.

Note: Some dude and his girlfriend insisted on walking past me in the aisle while I was obviously recording the video. Hence the shaky part.

http://media.putfile.com/Frank-Thomas-Video