PDA

View Full Version : This doesn't sound good

IA_soxfan
02-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Jerry Manuel on the Lofton pick up:

"No. 1, (Lofton) is a leadoff hitter that puts Ray in a good position to bat second or we could mess with the lineup and have Kenny lead off, Jose (Valentin) second, Ray third and Frank (Thomas) fourth," Manuel said. "He gives us a lot of options and he's also a guy who's been a Gold Glove center fielder. We get our defense obviously much improved. We have to concentrate on Carlos Lee in left field. Other than that, we should be a very, very solid team."

Remind anybody of last year?

CerberusWG
02-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Fantastic. Since Ray and Royce are Jerry's kids they will always get the favorable opportunity.

RedPinStripes
02-02-2002, 01:49 PM
I can do without Carlos Lee for a starting pitcher and give up royce for a grounds keeper. The lineup looks better then last year and 2000 to me though.

czalgosz
02-02-2002, 01:52 PM
If they're going to mess around with the lineup, I'd rather see Ordonez third and Thomas fourth than Durham bat third. That would just encourage Durham's bad habits.

Hopefully this has as much bearing as the "Baines playing first" idea from last winter.

czalgosz
02-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I can do without Carlos Lee for a starting pitcher and give up royce for a grounds keeper. The lineup looks better then last year and 2000 to me though.

It better be a good starting pitcher, but I'll take it.

This lineup looks good on paper, but there could be problems. I don't think we're counting on Lofton to produce too much - this team is pretty good even without him.

OfficerKarkovice
02-02-2002, 02:01 PM
If Kenny can find a way to get on base his fair share he is going to have a good year...we don't need him to hit .300 (although you wouldnt hear me complaining) but if he can draw walks, make things happen, we are going to have the guys behind him to drive him in quite regularly.

RedPinStripes
02-02-2002, 02:20 PM
I'm just glad we don't have to face the guy. He was a real pain in the ass to face. If he get on with less the 2 out, moslikely, he's going to find a way to score. As long as Ray isn't Willie Mays hays with the long fly balls and understands that he's only 5'7.

voodoochile
02-02-2002, 02:39 PM
Ray in the two hole sounds great to me. If Lofton can get on base at a .350+ clip then Ray should see a ton of fastballs batting in front of Frank.

Note to JM - Please leave Frank in the 3 hole. Pretty please?

RedPinStripes
02-02-2002, 02:52 PM
Yup. I can't wait till April!

RichH55
02-03-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Ray in the two hole sounds great to me. If Lofton can get on base at a .350+ clip then Ray should see a ton of fastballs batting in front of Frank.

Note to JM - Please leave Frank in the 3 hole. Pretty please?

Is Frank in the 3 hole a hard sell or something?

RichH55
02-03-2002, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

It better be a good starting pitcher, but I'll take it.

This lineup looks good on paper, but there could be problems. I don't think we're counting on Lofton to produce too much - this team is pretty good even without him.

Lee has got to be near the bottom of his value coming in to this season....a good time to sign the guy(check), but a bad time to trade him............No way Rowands glove in LF betters Lees bat..and I dont see a whole lot of starting pitching out there for Lee right now........if he puts up a .300 30+HR campaign than you can get that, but right now you would have to settle for a lesser pitcher(probably not by alot) than Todd Ritchie and with the potential Lee has to do better that seems foolhardy at the moment.............if you want to pose the question "Lee for Zito" than sure im all for it, but that doesnt sound plausible in the least so I would rather not hear names like Daal or Chen pop up at this point, because I think Carlos is better than that and generally Im against trading guys(especially young guys) when they are at the bottom of their value, unless it is a clear addition by subtraction case which it simply is NOT the case with C Lee)