View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 5-26 through 5-28

Lip Man 1
05-22-2006, 06:06 PM
This Date In Sox History

May 26 through May 28, 1973 (anniversary is Friday through Sunday!)

Just call this one ‘that game that wouldn’t end!’

(This is one of my favorites because I was actually sitting in the lower right field deck for the start of this game. Yes I was one of the few left in the park when the first part was suspended.)

On this night with the Indians in town it figured to be a great match up between Gaylord Perry who won the A.L. Cy Young Award in 1972 and the Sox Stan Bahnsen, a 21 game winner in 1972.

The Sox were hot at 25-14 with a 3 ˝ game lead over the Angels. It was before the bottom fell out due to numerous injuries and dissension with then V.P. Stu Holcomb.

With the score 2-1 Cleveland in the last of the 8th inning Bill Melton blasted a pitch into the lower deck in left field tying the game. It stayed tied after nine innings. Then eleven innings, then fourteen innings, then sixteen innings. After four hours and 39 minutes, play was halted via curfew. The game would be picked up before the regularly scheduled game on Sunday.

Except that it rained. So two days later it was picked up before the regularly scheduled game on Monday.

Manager Chuck Tanner had an idea. Because of the rain, Sox starter Wilbur Wood was ready to go. In fact ‘Woody’ was slated to pitch the regular game anyway so Tanner thought ‘why not let him pitch the suspended game and we’ll see what happens...’

In games like this it was unusual for the suspended game to go longer then an inning or two, but there was nothing ‘normal’ about this one. Wilbur went out and tossed five innings in the suspended game and looked like he was going to lose it on an unearned run. In the bottom of the 21st though, the Sox retied the game on an Eddie Leon single. Then with current Sox radio play by play man Ed Farmer on the mound, Dick Allen hammered a three run home run into the right field seats to win the game 6-3. The 21 innings tied a 44 year old Comiskey Park record. Total time on the game was 6:03.


After a 30 minute between games break, Wood went back out for the regularly scheduled game. All he did in the nightcap was fire a complete game four hit shutout!

His totals on the night, 14 innings pitched, no earned runs, six hits, nine strikeouts. He got BOTH wins running his record to an amazing 13-3! (And it wasn’t even June yet!!!)

By the way Tom Seaver would duplicate Wilbur’s ‘two for the price of one’ on May 9, 1984. Tom would get the win in a 25 inning suspended game when Harold Baines homered to beat the Brewers 7-6, then he’d win the regularly scheduled game 5-4.


05-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks for posting these Lip, I like them alot. Great info! :gulp:

05-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Yep, that was our Wilbur! Probably smoked 2 packs between all those innings as well!


ode to veeck
05-22-2006, 11:31 PM
I used to think Wilbur could pitch and win two full games of a double header after that '73 memorial pair, though he never did it

05-23-2006, 09:53 AM
I am trying to remember how many games Wilbur won in 73. I remember the team went into a tailspin after losing Dick Allen to an injury. I think Wilbur won something like 24 games that year. Anyone remember??

Lip Man 1
05-23-2006, 12:13 PM
In 1973 he went 24-20.