PDA

View Full Version : Most Media Types are LAMBASTING dirtbag Barrett

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 09:07 AM
ESPN baseball tonite host (guy with the mullet, forget his name) just smiled the entire time reporting the incident, saying Barrett was clearly in the wrong and will get a very Lengthy Suspension. He pointed out how Barrett was purposely blocking the plate even though he didnt have the ball, and getting run over was in any baserunners right. YOu cant block the plate.

Jimmy Piersall was GOLD. He LAMBASTED Barrett and called him dirty, said there was no reason for that, and that his frustration over his teams play the last few weeks is his problem, and starting a fight is about as low as you can go. When am1000 host Dolgin played devils advocate and said why did he knock him down if he didnt have the ball, Piersall IMMEDIATELY RETORTED that Barrett was the idiot for standing in the baseline. The baseline belongs to the runner. He really laid into Barrett (deservedly).
They took a couple of calls and 2 cub fans called and said AJ shouldnt have knocked him down if he didnt have the ball, and that AJ started the whole thing and got what was ......."YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT. YOU dont know baseball!" chimed in Piersall. "If your standing in the baseline, it belongs to the runner. Barrett was 2 feet IN FRONT of the plate." they hung up on the guy. Next cub caller said something to the extent that AJ's reputation brought this on, Piersall got clearly exasperated at the STUPIDITY of these cub callers (Ive always said theyre the Dumbest Fans in Baseball) and he said AGAIN, he doesnt care what someones reputation is, if your blocking the plate without the ball, your going to get knocked down. he said its CLEAN HARD BASEBALL and snickered that Barrett doesnt apparently understand this part of the game. Dolgin pointed out that this happened before a few times with Barrett jawing with other players.

Greenberg and Golic, who usually take the soft stand on matters, were also VEHEMENT in Barrett getting an "ENORMOUS SUSPENSION". They said what he did was beyond CHEAP and DIRTY and that he was blocking the plate. He also Called Out other media types who were somehow saying that AJ "had it coming" and that it was pure nonsense. I love that they called for an ENORMOUS SUSPENSION and that AJ should have nothing.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-22-2006, 09:28 AM
What makes this whole thing even sweeter, IMO, is AJ will be suiting up come early October. Barrett will be at home. And there's NOTHING the Cubs can do about that.

tebman
05-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Good to know that some common sense is out there somewhere. Piersall's right, of course. Barrett had no business starting that fight, and said so himself.

I love that they called for an ENORMOUS SUSPENSION and that AJ should have nothing.

Careful, Hangar. George Knue has anointed you our "shepherd," and as one of your "sheep" I don't know if I could control myself if we don't see the enormous suspension. You've got an immense responsibility. :tongue:

PatK
05-22-2006, 09:36 AM
The only media outlets I've seen or heard defending Barrett are ones in this city.

SOXPHILE
05-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Good to know that some common sense is out there somewhere. Piersall's right, of course. Barrett had no business starting that fight, and said so himself.

Careful, Hangar. George Knue has anointed you our "shepherd," and as one of your "sheep" I don't know if I could control myself if we don't see the enormous suspension. You've got an immense responsibility. :tongue:

At tonight's Core of the Core, somebody needs to bring a shepard's staff for Hangar, so he can lead us all out of the patio to our seats in right field. Being a silver & black sheep, I am incapable of thinking for myself, and need to be shown the way...

Uncle_Patrick
05-22-2006, 10:50 AM
ESPN baseball tonite host (guy with the mullet, forget his name) just smiled the entire time reporting the incident, saying Barrett was clearly in the wrong and will get a very Lengthy Suspension. He pointed out how Barrett was purposely blocking the plate even though he didnt have the ball, and getting run over was in any baserunners right. YOu cant block the plate.

That was Jeff Brantley, not normally known for having any Sox-love.

jdm2662
05-22-2006, 11:10 AM

He hates the Sox with a passion. For him to say this, tells you something. The media members defending Barrett is a joke...

LuvSox
05-22-2006, 11:21 AM

Hangar knows who he is, he's being sarcastic.

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Boers & Bernstein are now LAMBASTING Barrett AND ZAMBOZO for his antics in instigating the incident yesterday, saying he frequently shows up players, but cant get as much as he gives. Say Zambozo getting a free pass for yesterdays incident. Saying play was Clean, Barrett was dirty, lost his temper and isnt very smart player. Cub fans continue to say AJ didnt have right to knock Barrett down, B&B immediately thunder in and tell them that Dirtbag (Barrett) was standing in the baseline, his fault.

peeonwrigley
05-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Boers & Bernstein are now LAMBASTING Barrett AND ZAMBOZO for his antics in instigating the incident yesterday, saying he frequently shows up players, but cant get as much as he gives. Say Zambozo getting a free pass for yesterdays incident. Saying play was Clean, Barrett was dirty, lost his temper and isnt very smart player. Cub fans continue to say AJ didnt have right to knock Barrett down, B&B immediately thunder in and tell them that Dirtbag (Barrett) was standing in the baseline, his fault.

B&B or Mulligan & Hanely? I wasn't listening, but its Mulligan and Hanely's timeslot.

skobabe8
05-22-2006, 12:04 PM
B&B or Mulligan & Hanely? I wasn't listening, but its Mulligan and Hanely's timeslot.

I hope its not B&B. I want to tune into their entire show to hear their take. I promise they'll rip Barrett from start to finish.

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 12:16 PM

Oooops. Good Call.
Cub fans keep calling acting like theyve never seen anyone blocking the plate get knocked down (nimrods dont understand baseline rule). They were shot down and explained the baseline rule
Cub fans keep calling saying that AJ shouldnt have walked to the duguout (nimrods dont realize his helmet was behind Dirtbag Barrett) They were shot down and told he was getting his helmet.
Cub Fans keep calling saying that even though Barrett might be wrong, he somehow "deserved" what he got from the Cubs. They were told how wrong for that kind of thinking.
Cub Fans keep calling saying that he shouldnt have "slapped the plate" and thats what started the fight. They were told Barrett didnt see him do that, there are pics proving that, and even Barrett himself said he DIDNT SEE THE PLATE SLAP.
Dumbest Fans in Baseball.

DaBears
05-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Dumbest Fans in Baseball.

NUFF SAID!!

HotelWhiteSox
05-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Even Murph saying there is no doubt in his mind that AJ's play was clean and what Barrett did was a sucker punch.

It is weird to hear MURPH argue with idiot Cubs fans who are calling in, saying stupid ass **** like 'he should've/could've slid', or that 'AJ's an instigator', only showing they say what they're spoonfed and that they don't know baseball!

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Why are most of the writers in this town not getting it? Ive never disliked Moronotti as much as some of you guys, but today, I OFFICIALLY do not like him anymore. Hes garbage and takes the safe way out every time.
Chris DeLucas piece today was good. He calls out ZAMBOZO for always freaking out, and yes, he doesnt like when others get hits off him.
Idiot.

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Even Murph saying there is no doubt in his mind that AJ's play was clean and what Barrett did was a sucker punch.

It is weird to hear MURPH argue with idiot Cubs fans who are calling in, saying stupid ass **** like 'he should've/could've slid', or that 'AJ's an instigator', only showing they say what they're spoonfed and that they don't know baseball!

I cant believe that the 5% of cub fans who are saying theyre embarrassed, and that Barrett acted like a THUG, im applauding them.

soxinem1
05-22-2006, 01:00 PM
What I'd like to know, which no one is answering on TV or radio, is why AJ was kicked out of the game himself? He didn't really respond to the cheap shot, and the precedent is there with attacked players defending themselves and staying in the game (ala Ryan vs. Robin).

AJ could have really been hurt if he moves his head just an inch or so in any direction, so if he has to defend himself because some sore-loser idiot whacks him unjustly, so be it.

Real smart move on Barrett's behalf too, the supposed 'Team Player'. He is probably the only decent bat on the team right now, and what does he do? He gets himself in the position to hurt his team more than help it.

voodoochile
05-22-2006, 01:04 PM
I think it was in 2003 when some flub ran over Alomar at the plate. He was standing on the plate and had just received the ball. The runner was out. It was a great call though sitting at the game most of my flubbie fan friends disagreed. It was totally bang bang, but the replays proved the umpire correct. It was during the same series when the Sox made that huge comeback from down 8 runs. I think this was the final game.

Chrisaway
05-22-2006, 01:14 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/yourmaom/FRUSTRATION.jpg:redneck:redneck:redneck

Lip Man 1
05-22-2006, 01:14 PM
I think the runner was Corey Patterson.

Regarding AJ getting tossed, my wife asked the same question. My answer was that in cases like this many umps toss everyone involved so that no repercussions take place later in the game.

Lip

Palehose13
05-22-2006, 01:23 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/yourmaom/FRUSTRATION.jpg:redneck:redneck:redneck

That's nice. Did you do that yourself or ind it somewhere?

palehozenychicty
05-22-2006, 01:24 PM

Words couldn't be truer...

HotelWhiteSox
05-22-2006, 01:38 PM
I think it was in 2003 when some flub ran over Alomar at the plate. He was standing on the plate and had just received the ball. The runner was out. It was a great call though sitting at the game most of my flubbie fan friends disagreed. It was totally bang bang, but the replays proved the umpire correct. It was during the same series when the Sox made that huge comeback from down 8 runs. I think this was the final game.

I was at that game (Sunday game), I think Lip is right that the runner was Patterson, and I think Sosa had the hit. I didn't think much of it at the time though because I was happy that he was out in a close game

HotelWhiteSox
05-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Finally, Boers and Bernstein calling out Barrett, talking about HIS rep, his actions and words lately and in the past, his changing of his story, something wrong in his head, etc.

Now talking about Zambrano, I'm loving this

TDog
05-22-2006, 02:18 PM
I think the runner was Corey Patterson.

Regarding AJ getting tossed, my wife asked the same question. My answer was that in cases like this many umps toss everyone involved so that no repercussions take place later in the game.

Lip

When I was going to Sox games in 2003, they showed the play at the plate in a video montage on the scoreboard to boisterous cheers from the crowd. I too think the runner was Patterson.

As for AJ getting tossed, umpires have always been inconsistent with ejections. Nolan Ryan stayed in the game to get the win after pummeling Robin Ventura. Once when someone charged Jack McDowell and he didn't fight back, he was both ejected and suspended.

In AJ's case, I wouldn't be surprised if he was ejected in an effort to minimize further trouble arising from the incident.

Chez
05-22-2006, 02:37 PM
I was at that game (Sunday game), I think Lip is right that the runner was Patterson, and I think Sosa had the hit. I didn't think much of it at the time though because I was happy that he was out in a close game

I think it was Gary Matthews, Jr. I was there.

HotelWhiteSox
05-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I think it was Gary Matthews, Jr. I was there.

Yeah, he's the other one who crossed my mine. All I know is it was a great moment when the umpire made the out signal. Complete silence followed by 40K screaming

gobears1987
05-22-2006, 02:40 PM
I have to give 670 some credit here. Most of their employees are calling it like it is.

Man Soo Lee
05-22-2006, 02:41 PM

Gary Matthews Jr. ran into Alomar in the Sunday game in 2001 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06100CHA2001.htm) (7th inning). Relay from Singleton to the Choice to Alomar preserved a 2-1 lead.

The Sox had won the Friday night game on the 10th inning grand slam by Lee.

gobears1987
05-22-2006, 02:45 PM
I love the Score guys ripping the dumb sheep defending Barrett.

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 03:26 PM
I love the Score guys ripping the dumb sheep defending Barrett.

THEY ARE GRILLING ZAMBOZO, BARRETT. They are GRILLING the Tribune for their actions against Paul Sullivan (can you believe that) Apparently, this happened last week, and not a week earlier as being reported.
Whats amazing are the Sheep that keep Bah-bahhhhhhhhh'ing that AJ's play was "dirty" and his slap of the plate was what started it. B&B seem exasperated at the Stupidity of this fanbase, and keep reminding everyone that Barrett never saw the "slap" of the plate, and he had to touch the plate because the collision took him away. Callers are reminded that Dusty even said the play was "CLEAN", at which the sheep are silent for a moment, then say "Well his reputation ................." before theyre hung up on. Is this Fanbase this stupid?

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 03:39 PM
B&B actually received a couple of emails from Sheep, implying the reason theyre taking the SOX side in this, is that theyre a SOX FLAGSHIP station.
B&B think its all BS and are saying there are no memos being floated around,
unlike whats going on over at the Tribune, where they are an "entertainment" corporation, and they care about whats being SAID about the Cubs opposed to caring about Winning. Wow, they are grilling Barrett and ZAMBOZO, and Wow, Do Cub Fans look like Morons right now.
Caller after caller (as if theyre not listening/paying attention) keeps insisting the handslap started the fight, or that AJ did "something" (despite replays that prove otherwise), "well he mustve said something, thats what he gets" is the inane carbon response from this "fanbase".

The Wall
05-22-2006, 03:53 PM
What happened to Paul Sullivan a week ago?

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Apparently, B & B have acquired audiotape, of Dirtbag Michael Barrett saying, that very morning, that he thought his team needed to "get into a fight" to get them going. B & B say hes not going to get away with this, theyre going to forward that tape to the Commissioners Office, stronger penalty.

soxinem1
05-22-2006, 04:00 PM
As for AJ getting tossed, umpires have always been inconsistent with ejections. Nolan Ryan stayed in the game to get the win after pummeling Robin Ventura. Once when someone charged Jack McDowell and he didn't fight back, he was both ejected and suspended.

I remember the McDowell incident, it was Mark Whiten of the Indians who roadblocked him.

chisoxfan64
05-22-2006, 04:37 PM
On Mike and Mike this morning, Buster Olney was on. Golic said I still have no idea why AJ was thrown out. Olney says because he was fighting. Golic very loudly said He was just standing there, he didn`t do anything. Olney said No, he was fighting, just not as much. Golic said Well, I guess I didn`t see that.

I think Olney was watching something else.

TDog
05-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Apparently, B & B have acquired audiotape, of Dirtbag Michael Barrett saying, that very morning, that he thought his team needed to "get into a fight" to get them going. B & B say hes not going to get away with this, theyre going to forward that tape to the Commissioners Office, stronger penalty.

Evidence of premeditation! Outside the ballpark, that could add years to a prison sentence.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2006, 04:47 PM
T-Dog:

It was Mark Whitten of the Blue Jays I think in 1991.

Hangar:

Starting a fight to get a team 'up' is nothing new. Jim Bouton wrote in Ball Four that whenever the Yanks were in a slump manager Ralph Houk would say, 'now don't be afraid to start something out there, we'll all be right behind you...'

Lip

Hangar18
05-25-2006, 08:52 AM
I heard on espn that the Suspensions will be announced tomorrow.
And I loved hearing National radio shows calling for a Massive Suspension
to be handed to Michael Barrett for the "cheap" shot on the "clean" play.

I wonder if these guys know what Chicago Media is saying about all of this....

miker
05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
On Mike and Mike this morning, Buster Olney was on. Golic said I still have no idea why AJ was thrown out. Olney says because he was fighting. Golic very loudly said He was just standing there, he didn`t do anything. Olney said No, he was fighting, just not as much. Golic said Well, I guess I didn`t see that.

I think Olney was watching something else.
Buster using his official Cubbie Blu-Ray glasses again...although I like that line about "fighting, just not as much." Its almost up there with "kind of pregnant."

Chrisaway
05-25-2006, 02:23 PM
That's nice. Did you do that yourself or ind it somewhere? I found it browsing random My Space sites.

palehozenychicty
05-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Buster using his official Cubbie Blu-Ray glasses again...although I like that line about "fighting, just not as much." Its almost up there with "kind of pregnant."

Calling Olney an idiot is like calling Kenneth lay a crook. been there, done that.

:rolling: