PDA

View Full Version : IF a Sox player sucker punched a Cub, what would the reaction be...

DrCrawdad
05-22-2006, 08:16 AM
It was nearly two days ago when Barrett sucker punched AJ. I've read and heard the responses from the local media and Cub fans (not that the two are different in many cases).

My wife's clock radio when on this morning to WGN and I heard their morning guy (not "Spike") celebrating Barrett's sucker punch. But it's a long list of people who've celebrated the sucker punch.

I was wondering what the response would be IF it the situation were reversed and a Sox player sucker punched a Cub player? Can you imagine the outcry? Can you imagine the condemnations we'd be hearing from the media, Cub fans, etc?

What do you think they'd be saying in the media? What would we be hearing from Cub fans?

Interesting to contemplate when you consider their responses now. Hypocrites!

daveeym
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
It was nearly two days ago when Barrett sucker punched AJ. I've read and heard the responses from the local media and Cub fans (not that the two are different in many cases).

My wife's clock radio when on this morning to WGN and I heard their morning guy (not "Spike") celebrating Barrett's sucker punch. But it's a long list of people who've celebrated the sucker punch.

I was wondering what the response would be IF it the situation were reversed and a Sox player sucker punched a Cub player? Can you imagine the outcry? Can you imagine the condemnations we'd be hearing from the media, Cub fans, etc?

What do you think they'd be saying in the media? What would we be hearing from Cub fans?

Interesting to contemplate when you consider their responses now. Hypocrites! Half of the local media is treating it as if AJ actually did the punching already.

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 09:34 AM

Interesting to contemplate when you consider their responses now. Hypocrites!

YUP. I hate the Chicago Media. Thats why Bob Spineless Watson will be afraid to do the right thing, and simply hand AJ and Barrett equal suspensions, 5 games each. BOGUS.

jenn2080
05-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Im sure the news would be sickening to watch. I cant even imagine.

dickallen15
05-22-2006, 09:39 AM
If it happened at the Urinal, there would have been garbage and who knows what else thrown on the field. It is absolutely ridiculous to celebrate someone, who they themselves admitted was wrong, commit a crime on someone else for no reason. If Barrett just punches a random guy on the street, he goes to jail. If it were AJ punching Barrett, there would be a cry to have him banned from baseball. It is astonishing to me the love the Cubs get from people in this town. But keep one thing in mind, people who admire losers are nothing more than losers themselves.

Uncle_Patrick
05-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Half of the local media is treating it as if AJ actually did the punching already.

So true. The guys on the Score's "Last Call" show commented that people were acting like Barrett got beat up and the Cubs needed to retaliate.

Since, in some quarters, it's been deemed "ok" for AJ to be punched based on his reputation, I wonder what the reaction would be if Carlos Zambrano, another guy with a "reputation", was sucker punched by a Sox player.

DrCrawdad
05-22-2006, 10:28 AM
So true. The guys on the Score's "Last Call" show commented that people were acting like Barrett got beat up and the Cubs needed to retaliate.

Since, in some quarters, it's been deemed "ok" for AJ to be punched based on his reputation, I wonder what the reaction would be if Carlos Zambrano, another guy with a "reputation", was sucker punched by a Sox player.

Great point!

For the record it was WGN morning guy was Steve Cochran that I referred to in the first post. I also heard the overnight guy, Nick Digillio (sp?) say virtually the same thing.

Uncle_Patrick
05-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Great point!

For the record it was WGN morning guy was Steve Cochran that I referred to in the first post. I also heard the overnight guy, Nick Digillio (sp?) say virtually the same thing.

I believe that Digillio vocalized his Sox-hatred last year. That pretentious bitch would be in tears if one of his precious Cubbies got hit by a sucker punch.

Jerko
05-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Great point!

And the same guys who said AJ deserved it are the same clowns that probably glorified Rodman the Bull, Probert the Hawk, Starks the Bull, Salley the Bull, Sosa, Zambozo, the pitcher that wanted to beat up Steve Stone, etc. Hypocrites. :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
05-22-2006, 12:35 PM
This is at least the 3rd year in a row that the Cubs have had something to whine about when playing the Sox

This year: Cubs start brawl over clean, hard nosed play by Sox player. Barrett's actions hailed by many Cub fans.

Last year: Cubs whining about Juan Uribe "tricking" Derreck Lee.

Previous years:
- Dusty and Co. complaining that Sox did too much celebrating after victory
- IIRC, Cubs complained that the Sox were sliding too hard into 2nd to bust up double plays (am I right?).

....notice a pattern here???

DrCrawdad
05-22-2006, 12:46 PM
This is at least the 3rd year in a row that the Cubs have had something to whine about when playing the Sox

This year: Cubs start brawl over clean, hard nosed play by Sox player. Barrett's actions hailed by many Cub fans.

Previous years:
- IIRC, Cubs complained that the Sox were sliding too hard into 2nd to bust up double plays (am I right?).

....notice a pattern here???

I would just adjust it this way:

This year: Cubs player sucker punches Sox player which ignites a brawl over a clean, hard nosed play by Sox player. Barrett's violent act hailed by most Cub fans.

Previous years:

peeonwrigley
05-22-2006, 01:16 PM
I believe that Digillio vocalized his Sox-hatred last year. That pretentious bitch would be in tears if one of his precious Cubbies got hit by a sucker punch.

I have never heard of this guy, but I enjoyed the usage of "pretentious bitch."

Uncle_Patrick
05-22-2006, 01:18 PM
I have never heard of this guy, but I enjoyed the usage of "pretentious bitch."

He's the weekend movie critic on WGN. I think he fancies himself an actor, too. When I lived at home my parents listened to him all the time.

DrCrawdad
05-22-2006, 01:47 PM
He's the weekend movie critic on WGN. I think he fancies himself an actor, too. When I lived at home my parents listened to him all the time.

"Fancies?" Oh, that is probably an accurate choice of words for him...

TDog
05-22-2006, 05:34 PM
It entirely would depend on the situation.

Of course, AJ is not well liked outside of our Sox Army. Heck, we hated him when he was with the Twins. I don't know how I would react, but I know that no matter what anyone did to Barry Bonds, there are many around her who would be posting dancing bananas and smiley faces.

Smokey Burg
05-22-2006, 05:59 PM
I really question Barretts action to begin with. The play was not going to be close and he's still blocking the plate on AJ. He was asking for it in the first place. A catcher blocks the plate on another catcher, especially when it is not a real close play, there's going to be contact.

santo=dorf
05-22-2006, 06:14 PM
The Tribune would be calling on all of its subscribers to try and get the Sox player arrested for assault, and you can bet your mortgage the Cubune and George Knue of chicagosports.com would have a timeline of violence at USCF/Comiskey with Ligue, Flub fan Dybas, and Disco Demolition. :rolleyes:

miker
05-23-2006, 10:54 AM
IF a Sox player sucker punched a Cub, what would the reaction be...
There would be much rejoicing...yay.

woodenleg
05-25-2006, 10:00 AM
No doubt some priss in the media would say it's a "huge black eye" for the Sox.