PDA

View Full Version : WhiteSox players on WSI?

mike squires
05-21-2006, 11:32 PM
For those of you that have been up close and personal with the players (for example, at the Atrium at Soxfest) have you ever asked the players if they checked out this site. Wouldn't it be impossible not to check message boards to see what others have to say?

FarWestChicago
05-21-2006, 11:35 PM
The Sox players are professional baseball players. They are a small fraction of a percent of the population, uniquely physically gifted. Do you really think they care about the armchair GM's that populate this place? Why do message boards tend to make so many people delusional?

Trav
05-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Brian Macarthy had a SN here I think. I do believe he was posting before he actually made his first start for the Sox, however.

Mercy!
05-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Brian Macarthy had a SN here I think. I do believe he was posting before he actually made his first start for the Sox, however.
Get ready to duck.

Edit: Uh, I mean:

get ready to duck

ewokpelts
05-21-2006, 11:49 PM
The Sox players are professional baseball players. They are a small fraction of a percent of the population, uniquely physically gifted. Do you really think they care about the armchair GM's that populate this place? Why do message boards tend to make so many people delusional?
it's the Curt "I'm so vain and pompus" Schilling /Sons of Sam Horn(my god, arent we clever blow sawks fans?) effect.....

all it took was for a vain and pompus assclown to name check a meaningless blow sawks site, and everyone now wants team management, bud selig, barroid, and the media to read our thoughts

Ya getting that curt? your vain! AND pompus! assclown.

Gene

ewokpelts
05-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Get ready to duck.

B.MAC

or Fingernails on a blackboard

lumpyspun
05-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Get ready to duck.

get ready to duck
"Brian Macarthy" must have been his alias on the site...:smile:

Trav
05-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Get ready to duck.

get ready to duck

I figure I spelled his name wrong. I can't spell very well. Got it.

But what?

voodoochile
05-22-2006, 12:04 AM

But what?
pssst... it's Brandon, not Brian (or Bryan or Bryon or even Byron) :tongue:

Edit: Psst again... I made the same mistake a few years ago, so no worries...

BarbG
05-22-2006, 12:15 AM
I asked Carl last year if he ever heard of/read the boards on WSI and he said yes.

South Side
05-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Ohhh... mysterious... Who's watching us?

mike squires
05-22-2006, 12:25 AM

You can't tell me ball players, musicians, actors don't check out the boards to see what folks are saying about them. I'm guessing the majoirty of the players with the downtime they have check out sites to see what is being said. Most of these professions are people that have large egos. I'm guessing they check just for curiosity. Then again maybe I'm wrong and delusional.

SoxFan76
05-22-2006, 12:32 AM
You can't tell me ball players, musicians, actors don't check out the boards to see what folks are saying about them. I'm guessing the majoirty of the players with the downtime they have check out sites to see what is being said. Most of these professions are people that have large egos. I'm guessing they check just for curiosity. Then again maybe I'm wrong and delusional.

I'm with you, I don't know where that rant came from.

TheOldRoman
05-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I'm sure many of the Sox players have checked out WSI at least once. AJ said in an interview that his wife and mother search the internet for negative stories about him. Maybe it isn't limited to news. It doesn't make the player nuts to want to see what fans think every now and then, but I'm sure there are few, if any, major leaguers who post regularly on such boards.
However, I can picture Zambrano going on message boards and challenging people to fights because someone badmouthed him.:rolleyes:

QCIASOXFAN
05-22-2006, 01:19 AM
You can't tell me ball players, musicians, actors don't check out the boards to see what folks are saying about them. I'm guessing the majoirty of the players with the downtime they have check out sites to see what is being said. Most of these professions are people that have large egos. I'm guessing they check just for curiosity. Then again maybe I'm wrong and delusional. I totally agree with you. Some players probably just go on to see what the fans think about them as well as the team. The Sox are busy guys and all but you know some of them look at this stuff. It's not like they make post's but I'm sure some have observed different message boards.

TheKittle
05-22-2006, 01:22 AM
I totally agree with you. Some players probably just go on to see what the fans think about them as well as the team. The Sox are busy guys and all but you know some of them look at this stuff. It's not like they make post's but I'm sure some have observed different message boards.

I would bet the families of the players look at WSI more than the players themselves.

HotelWhiteSox
05-22-2006, 01:30 AM
There was a thread here last year where someone met Blum and asked him if he knew of the place and he answered with something like 'definately, you'd be surprised, the players check up on this kind of stuff all the time'. I don't see it as that surprising, with the way technology is in our lives (some players even have Myspace) and in the sport

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2006, 01:42 AM

But what?Brian instead of Brandon isn't a spelling error. The last name is McCarthy. And "I don't spell very well" is a weak excuse. It's the freaking internet; it takes about twenty seconds to pull up the Sox roster if you aren't sure.

patbooyah
05-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Brian instead of Brandon isn't a spelling error. The last name is McCarthy. And "I don't spell very well" is a weak excuse. It's the freaking internet; it takes about twenty seconds to pull up the Sox roster if you aren't sure.

oh snap! he whips out a proper "it's" and separates two clauses with a semi-colon. school is in session!!!!!!!! :cool:

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2006, 02:01 AM
oh snap! he whips out a proper "it's" and separates two clauses with a semi-colon. school is in session!!!!!!!! :cool:Pat, you're one of the few who won't capitalize that I haven't put on ignore yet, because your posts are usually fun. I have to read semi-literate crap at work. I sure don't have to do it for fun.

TheKittle
05-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Pat, you're one of the few who won't capitalize that I haven't put on ignore yet, because your posts are usually fun. I have to read semi-literate crap at work. I sure don't have to do it for fun.

Maybe if what you're doing for fun bothers you so much, maybe it's you should find other fun things to do. :?:

Mots09
05-22-2006, 06:27 AM
At SoxFest two years ago the majority of us WSI'ers were wearing name tags. Well that night we were lucky enough to have the opportunity to have some brews w/ ARow, Crede, and Southside Willie. They all asked what was up w/ the name tag, after saying it was to signify that I was a member of WSI, they all knew acknowledged they knew about this site.

My guess is that they do check the boards every now and again. They are down w/ the teal police.

FarWestChicago
05-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Maybe if what you're doing for fun bothers you so much, maybe it's you should find other fun things to do. :?:Speaking of semi-literate... :redneck

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 08:03 AM

A couple of them have said they come here from time to time to see what the fans are talking about ..........

ode to veeck
05-22-2006, 09:07 AM
As far as players' families go, Rocky Biddle's parents used to be regulars here a few years back, before he went off to the Expos

Hangar18
05-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Maybe if what you're doing for fun bothers you so much, maybe it's you should find other fun things to do. :?:

:roflmao:

daveeym
05-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Maybe Shoota was Jamie Burke or Josh Fields working all the angles to get Crede's job. :cool:

Tekijawa
05-22-2006, 09:14 AM
There was a guy here a few months ago who owned Many Leather Bound Books and his house smelled of rich mahogany, he said he was kind of a big deal... I wouldn't be supprised if that was Pauly or something.

nasox
05-22-2006, 09:21 AM
On the Television Without Pity boards, Aaron Sorkin of the West Wing posted on the West Wing message board a few years back and the reaction he got led to Josh (Bradley Whitford) posting on a board in the show. Josh got a negative reaction and went a little crazy.

So it is not uncommon for people to check out message boards that talk about them. Of course, athletes are different than writers, so I can see the difference there.

Vince
05-22-2006, 09:26 AM
It's pretty easy to set up a Google alert and monitor what's being written both on news sites and the web in general. It wouldn't surprise me if some players do that.

ondafarm
05-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Professional athletes actually have a lot of down time, especially on road trips. There was a movie a few years ago about a basketball referee played by Billy Crystal who went to see art during his downtime. His colleagues gave him some serious ribbing about it. Carlton Fisk used to catch up on his reading on the road, Phil Jackson actually gave out books to many of his players. A website that actually talks about their team with occasional bright ideas, probably isn't an unlikely destination.

cbotnyse
05-22-2006, 09:41 AM
if I was a player I would probably have a look around at sites like this...why not? they probably have an idea that, for the most part, we are intelligent baseball minds and not to mention totally biased towards them.....

PennStater98r
05-22-2006, 10:25 AM

Any of you think that Brian is at his best when J.J. Pierzynski is catching?

MrRoboto83
05-22-2006, 11:02 AM
If I was a MLB ballplayer I would stay away from these sites, I think it would just get you down more than being anything positive.

MrRoboto83
05-22-2006, 11:03 AM
if I was a player I would probably have a look around at sites like this...why not? they probably have an idea that, for the most part, we are intelligent baseball minds and not to mention totally biased towards them.....

You would think so until you started to read the many Anti-Brian Anderson playing center field threads.

ChiSoxRowand
05-22-2006, 11:05 AM
There are some guys who have usernames at Soxtalk. Baj, BMAC, Jim bullard(now with toronto) are the ones at the top of my head.

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Any of you think that Brian is at his best when J.J. Pierzynski is catching?

J.J.? :?:

Palehose13
05-22-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't take a look occasionally. We already know that Brooks Boyer does (I got an e-mail from him once about one of my posts) and possibly other staff members. I don't think that any players are hard core posters, or even post at all, but I'm sure that they are a bit curious and may take a peek once in awhile.

ewokpelts
05-22-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't take a look occasionally. We already know that Brooks Boyer does (I got an e-mail from him once about one of my posts) and possibly other staff members. I don't think that any players are hard core posters, or even post at all, but I'm sure that they are a bit curious and may take a peek once in awhile.oh yes...the staff lurks here.....i got in trouble once with them......
Gene

Lip Man 1
05-22-2006, 12:15 PM
In addition to the previously mentioned McCarthy and Blum I know I asked a few of the players about WSI when I recently was on the field in Chicago. They all said that they knew about it, some said they visit often.

That doesn't include the former Sox players who visit the site as well. I recently spoke with Greg Pryor and he said he visits the site and enjoys it tremendously.

:smile:

Lip

digdagdug23
05-22-2006, 12:45 PM
would love to be right behind Carl when he sees the pic of himself running from a raptor. Priceless I tell ya. I am laughing just thinking about it. :roflmao:

On the Television Without Pity boards

I totally love that site! The reviews for 6FU and Sopranos practically had me in stitches.

HotelWhiteSox
05-22-2006, 01:21 PM
I have a weird feeling DJ lurks as well. DJ, bark on the broadcast tonight if you're reading

34 Inch Stick
05-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Dusty Baker always says that he does not read the sports section of newspapers, yet he always seems to know what is written about him. I imagine the same is true about internet sights.

voodoochile
05-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Dusty Baker always says that he does not read the sports section of newspapers, yet he always seems to know what is written about him. I imagine the same is true about internet sights.

Most of the really big names probably have media relations people who follow this stuff and that which is written about them in mainstream media too.

That's just part of the job a good PR person will do for their client.

South Side
05-22-2006, 02:18 PM
In addition to the previously mentioned McCarthy and Blum I know I asked a few of the players about WSI when I recently was on the field in Chicago. They all said that they knew about it, some said they visit often.

That doesn't include the former Sox players who visit the site as well. I recently spoke with Greg Pryor and he said he visits the site and enjoys it tremendously.

:smile:

Lip

Just out of curiosity, which players did you talk to?

WS in 05
05-22-2006, 02:26 PM
I believe Karl Malone is among us

Sargeant79
05-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I would be shocked if many of the players didn't periodically check in here and on other sites. I am a musician and was in a fairly well known regional band a few years back. We were often the subject of discussion on a bunch of different message boards. I would always check in because I really was curious to know what others were saying about me and my band.

If you do this, you just have to be prepared to read things that you don't want to hear. I would encounter a lot of positive and a lot of negative comments about my band. Anyone who is in the public eye in any capacity at all, whether athlete, actor, or musician, needs to have thick enough skin to not get down about what knuckleheads like us say about them. But these same people are usually in the public eye because they put themselves there, and on some level don't mind being talked about. Anyone who fits this description is also naturally curious to know what people are saying about them.

goofymsfan
05-22-2006, 04:23 PM
would love to be right behind Carl when he sees the pic of himself running from a raptor. Priceless I tell ya. I am laughing just thinking about it. :roflmao:

I totally love that site! The reviews for 6FU and Sopranos practically had me in stitches.

At one of the first M's games of the year there was a guy dressed in a dinosaur costume that had a sign that read, "I don't believe in Carl Everett!" J.J. Putz (M's new closer) had me take a picture of it and give him a copy. I'm sure Carl has seen it. I never asked J.J. his reaction to it though.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2006, 04:36 PM
South Side:

With respect I'd rather not say. Some may in fact be registered members and I don't want to disclose anything that could compromise their anonymity.

Lip

ondafarm
05-22-2006, 05:24 PM
South Side:

With respect I'd rather not say. Some may in fact be registered members and I don't want to disclose anything that could compromise their anonymity.

Lip

Lip,
let me ask you a different question. Have you ever when speaking to any of the players, met anyone who vehemently denied interacting with non-specific fans? I mean, nobody can never answer the press, and everybody I know of utilizes some "private time" to prepare for games or "just wants to be with the family today". But do you know of anyone who would rule out a fan site like WSI just because it's a fan site and there is no requirement towards it?

Not asking for names.

A case in point, I was playing basketball with a few kids in a college gym one day several years ago and a guy started shooting baskets on the next court over. I thought he looked familiar and when my game was over I got a good look at him and he was Chet Lemon. I went over and introduced myself as a fan and he was very nice. I asked him about the famed Japanese glove named the "Chet Remon" and he laughed and confirmed it. We had a couple of vacancies in the game so I asked him if he was interested and he played a couple of games of b-ball with the guys who were there. He just seemed like a normal guy and he did talk baseball with a couple of us afterwards. My point is this: after he knew we where fans, he didn't walk away. He shook our hands at the end of the game and even signed one autograph. I think most baseball players, even ML guys, are like this. A little interaction is fine, no pressure and just for fun. Nearly every baseball player I know of is also a big fan of the game.

PennStater98r
05-22-2006, 05:45 PM
J.J.? :?:

Sorry - should I have done this?

IowaHawksFan1
05-22-2006, 06:29 PM
I worked for a minor league hockey team and football team in addition to a college SID office. I would bet money that the Sox players read these boards. I know for a fact that in the minor league and college level athletes read and sometimes even post (even though we advise them not to). The familes of the athletes read the boards and post a lot as well.

As someone who works in media and public relations we look at the boards of our sports teams as well. We read them to get a handle on what the fans are saying. I personally make it a point to never post on the boards of the organizations I worked for. But I do lurk as it is A) funny to listen to all the "experts" tell us how bad we are and how everything we do is wrong when we are losing and than two weeks later after we go on a good winning streak say how good we are (and even see someone rip us and how bad our coach is even though he coached the team to a championship) and B) somtimes especially discussions on how to make the games better we read them to help us gauge what the fans want so we can give it to them. If it is feasible.

Players like to know what the fans think of them. So yeah I'd say Sox players lurk here and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them posted.

Layla
05-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Right after the 2004 season, there was a post on whitesox.com from Mark Buehrle. The post basically said thanks for the support and stuff like that.

Was it really Mark Buehrle? Who knows? If it was, it was a pretty cool thing to do. And if it wasn't, the post was still nice enough that Buehrle made more fans.

My own opinion is that probably most Sox players take a glance every so often to see what's going on. They probably get as good as a laugh as we do as the Cubune Headlines and the Palehose Six. You've got to keep your sense of humor about these things.

As for BA. Shoot, if he comes on here now, he knows he's made a ton of fans for life. And Pods - how great we all thought he was protecting his teammate.

southsidegirl
05-22-2006, 09:48 PM
If this is all true...

Hi AJ!
Hi Pods!
Hi Joe!
Hi Mark!
Hi Jon!

If I were a player, I wouldn't be able to resist looking on the message boards. It's like knowing that people are spreading juicy gossip about you. Of coarse you need to know what they're saying.

South Side
05-22-2006, 10:18 PM
South Side:

Lip

I understand.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Ondafarm:

My impression from talking to a few of the guys is that they don't have a problem with fan sites. The sense I get is that the players know there will be positive and negative things said, they understand this ahead of time.

I think many visit sites to relax a little before or after a game, while traveling or on nights when they can't get to sleep immediately because of the rush from the game.

In all my years I have met very,very few athletes who were just plain bad people (only one that I can think of...) and I'm met many professionally as well as socially (even played with a few....two on two games with Kyle Macy and 'Goose' Givens!)

Lip

California Sox
05-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Nearly every baseball player I know of is also a big fan of the game.

Except Jeff Kent.

Soxheads
05-23-2006, 12:41 AM
I worked for a minor league hockey team and football team in addition to a college SID office. I would bet money that the Sox players read these boards. I know for a fact that in the minor league and college level athletes read and sometimes even post (even though we advise them not to). The familes of the athletes read the boards and post a lot as well.

As someone who works in media and public relations we look at the boards of our sports teams as well. We read them to get a handle on what the fans are saying. I personally make it a point to never post on the boards of the organizations I worked for. But I do lurk as it is A) funny to listen to all the "experts" tell us how bad we are and how everything we do is wrong when we are losing and than two weeks later after we go on a good winning streak say how good we are (and even see someone rip us and how bad our coach is even though he coached the team to a championship) and B) somtimes especially discussions on how to make the games better we read them to help us gauge what the fans want so we can give it to them. If it is feasible.

Players like to know what the fans think of them. So yeah I'd say Sox players lurk here and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them posted.

I may be from the other site, but I do know that players look at both sites. WSI is respected and read by players from what I have heard.

Now, you seem well versed. I'll just assume you were a Hawk fan that went to Iowa State. :D

HotelWhiteSox
05-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Most of the really big names probably have media relations people who follow this stuff and that which is written about them in mainstream media too.

That's just part of the job a good PR person will do for their client.

Yes, wasn't this how Bo Jackson found out about someone making up a theory that he was on steroids, leading to the press conference where he denied it?

JohnBasedowYoda
05-23-2006, 12:25 PM
If any White Sox players are reading this I could use a little loan (I'm totally good for it). Pm me please.

Scottiehaswheels
05-23-2006, 12:32 PM
If any White Sox players are reading this I could use a little loan (I'm totally good for it). Pm me please. Is soy milk that expensive you need a loan? :D:

JohnBasedowYoda
05-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Is soy milk that expensive you need a loan? :D:

Fo Sho! Eating healthy and tasty food is not cheap.

kwolf68
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Actually eating healthy is incredibly expensive.