2) Valentin
3) Durham
4) Thomas
5) Magglio
6) Konerko
7) Lee
8) Alomar
9) Clayton

I'd move Frank, Maggs, and Paulie each up one and put Ray down at #6. I like his speed at the top of the order, but putting him in the #3 slot may just encourage his swing from the heels habit, and, well, we all know how that ends up.

AsInWreck
02-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by delben91

I'd move Frank, Maggs, and Paulie each up one and put Ray down at #6. I like his speed at the top of the order, but putting him in the #3 slot may just encourage his swing from the heels habit, and, well, we all know how that ends up.

Plus it would take an act of congress for Frank to
give up the 3 hole-- I know JM writes the card, but Frank pulls a lot of weight

CubKilla
02-02-2002, 11:51 AM
I didn't even see this thread when I posted almost the same exact lineup under "Sox Sign Lofton." And I totally forgot about Alomar. Shame on me.

czalgosz
02-02-2002, 12:46 PM
This is my lineup -

1. Lofton
2. Durham
3. Thomas
4. Ordonez
5. Konerko
6. Valentin
7. Lee
8. Alomar
9. Clayton

If you can get away with it, always break up a long string of righties with a lefty. See, now they can't bring in a lefty to face Valentin, unless they want them to get killed by Lee right afterwards.

Jjav829
02-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
This is my lineup -

1. Lofton
2. Durham
3. Thomas
4. Ordonez
5. Konerko
6. Valentin
7. Lee
8. Alomar
9. Clayton

If you can get away with it, always break up a long string of righties with a lefty. See, now they can't bring in a lefty to face Valentin, unless they want them to get killed by Lee right afterwards.

Thats the exact same lineup I was thinking. I like Valentin in the 2 spot, but I think he would help us more further down the lineup than Ray would further down in the lineup. Plus the speedy 1,2 combo of Lofton and Ray should be good for some double steals. The more speed at the top of the lineup, the better.

I don't like the idea of putting Ray in the 3 spot. Hes NOT a number 3 hitter. Your 3 hitter should be someone who can drive in runs, thats not Ray.

czalgosz
02-02-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

Thats the exact same lineup I was thinking. I like Valentin in the 2 spot, but I think he would help us more further down the lineup than Ray would further down in the lineup. Plus the speedy 1,2 combo of Lofton and Ray should be good for some double steals. The more speed at the top of the lineup, the better.

I don't like the idea of putting Ray in the 3 spot. Hes NOT a number 3 hitter. Your 3 hitter should be someone who can drive in runs, thats not Ray.

Exactly. I'd rather see Valentin in the #3 hole than Durham. And if Thomas is 100%, you're insane to bat him anywhere but 3rd. IMO, Durham's a natural #2 hitter, if they can convince him to stop trying to hit homers.

Valentin fits perfectly into the 6 hole, IMO. He can drive the ball, and can make things happen on the basepaths for the guys behind him, and create scoring opportunities. Putting Lee in the 7 hole takes a lot of the pressure off of him.

danman31
02-02-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
Plus it would take an act of congress for Frank to
give up the 3 hole-- I know JM writes the card, but Frank pulls a lot of weight
This was the conflict a few years ago when Belle was hot and Frank was slumping. Frank would not give up the 3 spot even though Belle deserved it.

OfficerKarkovice
02-02-2002, 03:04 PM
Frank will be and should be in the 3 hole...he deserves to hit there and really I think he is better suited for there than the cleanup role. I say don't mess with a good thing with Frank #3 and Maggs #4.

OfficerKarkovice
02-02-2002, 03:06 PM
This is my lineup -

1. Lofton
2. Durham
3. Thomas
4. Ordonez
5. Konerko
6. Valentin
7. Lee
8. Alomar
9. Clayton

That is the perfect lineup...now only if JM can figure that out on his own or not is yet to be seen.

Soxheads
02-02-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

That is the perfect lineup...now only if JM can figure that out on his own or not is yet to be seen.

My perfect lineup wouldn't have Buddy.

Huisj
02-02-2002, 04:02 PM
I agree about moving Valentin down to 6, because otherwise you got three left handed bats at the top (well, two of them are switch, but whatever) and then none the rest of the way down. Moving Valentin down solves this problem.

And yes, in a perfect world, clayton would be replaced with Crede, but it's looking less and less likely that that will happen.

Chisox_cali
02-02-2002, 05:03 PM
This is my lineup -

1. Lofton
2. Durham
3. Thomas
4. Ordonez
5. Konerko
6. Valentin
7. Lee
8. Alomar
9. Clayton

If we could get MJ in there instead of Alomar I'd be happy with that. And of course Crede and Valentin in there rightful positions, but that dont look to good right about now.

guillen4life13
02-02-2002, 05:28 PM
I have an idea for the whole Crede/Rowand playing time dilemma.

Have Royce play 2/3 days @ short
Have Crede play 2/3 days @ 3rd
Have Valentin play 1/3 days @ ss, 1/3 @ 3rd. That solves the infield, unless anyone else agrees with me. (hopefully we can just get rid of royce before the seasons starts).

Use the formula above for the outfield, replacing:
Rowand- Valentin
Caballo- Royce
Lofton- Crede

Therefore, Rowand would play 2/3 days, 1 day in LF, 1 day in CF.
Lee would play 2/3 days in LF
Lofton would play 2/3 days in RF

Whenever Maggs needs a break, we can use Simmons, or have Rowand play RF for the day.

Lemme have your feedback on this one. @ soxfest maybe you can try and talk to someone. BTW, how crowded is it out there?

seventytwo
02-02-2002, 05:48 PM
I'd rather see Jose batting second. Ray can't bunt to save his life--let's play a little "small ball" in the first inning!

I'd rather see Ray bat 7th or 9th.

doublem23
02-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by seventytwo
I'd rather see Ray bat 7th or 9th.

:ray
To be honest, I think I'm much better suited to bat 3rd or 4th... Magglio who?

AsInWreck
02-02-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

Have Valentin play 1/3 days @ ss, 1/3 @ 3rd. That solves the infield, unless anyone else agrees with me. (hopefully we can just get rid of royce before the seasons starts).

That's kind of what they were doing w/ clayton,valentin and perry last year--and that didn't work out too well, i think clayton needs to be in the lineup just about every day to be worth
2 turds at the plate-i don't think it would hurt valentin to much, but w/ a rookie like crede that my not help much either--i agree w/ the 2nd part of your statement,though

guillen4life13
02-02-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

That's kind of what they were doing w/ clayton,valentin and perry last year--and that didn't work out too well, i think clayton needs to be in the lineup just about every day to be worth
2 turds at the plate-i don't think it would hurt valentin to much, but w/ a rookie like crede that my not help much either--i agree w/ the 2nd part of your statement,though

the way I see this, however, is that Crede gets a good amount of time. Valentin gets enough playing time to help out the team. clayton has no reason to complain about playing time. i feel like clayton even being in the lineup is an injustice to the White Sox, but i guess kenny reaps what he sows.

that's why I have this sig.

RichH55
02-03-2002, 05:54 AM

Exactly. I'd rather see Valentin in the #3 hole than Durham. And if Thomas is 100%, you're insane to bat him anywhere but 3rd. IMO, Durham's a natural #2 hitter, if they can convince him to stop trying to hit homers.

Valentin fits perfectly into the 6 hole, IMO. He can drive the ball, and can make things happen on the basepaths for the guys behind him, and create scoring opportunities. Putting Lee in the 7 hole takes a lot of the pressure off of him.

A perfect summation of what I was thinking........1-7 we should be solid....though its safe to assume we wont be getting much out of the catching/SS positions hitting wise.......never the best idea to have two outs in your lineup that are pretty much guarnteed when you dont have to bat a pitcher

RichH55
02-03-2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I have an idea for the whole Crede/Rowand playing time dilemma.

Use the formula above for the outfield, replacing:
Rowand- Valentin
Caballo- Royce
Lofton- Crede

Therefore, Rowand would play 2/3 days, 1 day in LF, 1 day in CF.
Lee would play 2/3 days in LF
Lofton would play 2/3 days in RF

Whenever Maggs needs a break, we can use Simmons, or have Rowand play RF for the day.

Lemme have your feedback on this one. @ soxfest maybe you can try and talk to someone. BTW, how crowded is it out there?

If you believe like I do that is better to play Crede and Jose rather than Jose at 3B and Royce at SS than why must we play Royce at all? This isnt little league...we arent playing for treats.......Royce played last year for multiple reasons..many of those reasons are gone now, why should he continue to play? We arent showcasing him for other teams as we already know they dont want him(they probably saw enough of him last year), so unless his play dictates that he plays, why are we locked in to playing him? We spend the same amount of money if Crede starts or if Royce starts.maybe you arent getting the best value for your money, but isnt a better ballclub worth cutting your losses?