PDA

View Full Version : [Internet Rumor] Suspensions handed out for Barrett, Lee and Mabry.

It's Time
05-21-2006, 08:22 PM
10 for Barrett, 5 for Lee and 3 for Mabry. The White Sox will learn who gets suspended tomorrow. My guess is Brian will get 5 or 10 and Pods 3.

Barrett got off pretty cheap.

It's Time
05-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Source was ESPN.

ilsox7
05-21-2006, 08:24 PM
10 for Barrett, 5 for Lee and 3 for Mabry. The White Sox will learn who gets suspended tomorrow. My guess is Brian will get 5 or 10 and Pods 3.

Barrett got off pretty cheap.

If BA gets the same as Barrett, there is something wrong. Ah, yes that something is Unclue Bud.

Dan Mega
05-21-2006, 08:25 PM
What did Lee do?:?:

Mabry looked like he was trying to seperate guys and BA swung at him.

It's Time
05-21-2006, 08:27 PM
If BA gets the same as Barrett, there is something wrong. Ah, yes that something is Unclue Bud.

You know he will. He went crazy and took a few punches at Mabry and then threw him to the ground. That's why Barrett should have gotten 15 because he actually made contact with his punch and A.J. had no clue it was coming.

ilsox7
05-21-2006, 08:27 PM
You know he will. He went crazy and took a few punches as Mabry and then threw him to the ground. That's why Barrett should have gotten 15 because he actually made contact with his punch and A.J. had no clue it was coming.

And we all know there suspensions will be reduced when they are appealed and spineless Selig gives in.

boiler up
05-21-2006, 08:28 PM
link?

It's Time
05-21-2006, 08:29 PM
link?

No link, announced on ESPN Sunday night game.

Frontman
05-21-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm confused as hell by the Lee suspension. I just hope that doesn't mean Scotty Pods gets a few, as he was just restraining Barrett.

Front

ilsox7
05-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm confused as hell by the Lee suspension. I just hope that doesn't mean Scotty Pods gets a few, as he was just restraining Barrett.

Front

Yea. Really the only suspensions should be Barrett and BA. But MLB will **** this up, as usual.

RadioheadRocks
05-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Suffice it to say that logic and any shred of rational thought flies completely out the window when these penalties are handed down.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-21-2006, 08:32 PM
/me is confused by Lee's punishment. But I really don't care!:cool:

SouthSide_HitMen
05-21-2006, 08:33 PM

Assuming this is Derek Lee I think you are not allowed to leave the bench for any reason if you are not part of the 25 man active roster.

Gagne received a few game suspension for merely barking something to the umpire while in the dugout (though not part of the active roster) during a game last year against the Giants IIRC.

I don't think Anderson deserves as high a suspension as Barrett simply because he was merely reacting vs. starting the incident.

I'd say Anderson gets 5 or 6 games and Podsednik 3. It will be interesting to see if AJ is fined anything. In the latest incident before this one (Kendall attacking John Lackey), Kendall was suspended 3 or 4 games IIRC and Lackey was fined $2,000 but not suspended for merely being on the receiving end of a jackass opponents physical assault.

It's Time
If A.J. gets even a game, all hell is goint to break loose. The scary thing is I would not at all be surprised by it.

kjhanson
Pods will definitely be suspended for his actions even though they were justified. It worries me that Lee was suspended because MLB may do something stupid now like suspsend A.J. as well.

ilsox7
05-21-2006, 08:34 PM
If A.J. gets even a game, all hell is goint to break loose. The scary thing is I would not at all be surprised by it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got 3 games. Which will lead to a fun appeal where any objective third party would laugh in MLB's face at suspending a guy who took a punch and did nothing else.

HotelWhiteSox
05-21-2006, 08:35 PM
No offense but wouldn't ESPN.com or ESPNEWS have info on it as well?

It's Time
05-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Pods will definitely be suspended for his actions even though they were justified. It worries me that Lee was suspended because MLB may do something stupid now like suspsend A.J. as well.

No doubt. If Mabry got three, Pods may get five. ****ing disgusting it it happens but I won't get mad just yet. I'll wait to see.

RadioheadRocks
05-21-2006, 08:36 PM
No offense but wouldn't ESPN.com or ESPNEWS have info on it as well?

Exactly... have any credible sources been identified yet regarding this information?

SouthSide_HitMen
05-21-2006, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he got 3 games. Which will lead to a fun appeal where any objective third party would laugh in MLB's face at suspending a guy who took a punch and did nothing else.

Yes but your are forgetting the fact AJ went to get his batting helmet and is really responsible for the entire incident when you think about it based on his reputation (enter Windsock article here).

ilsox7
05-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Yes but your are forgetting the fact AJ went to get his batting helmet and is really responsible for the entire incident when you think about it based on his reputation (enter Windsock article here).

Haha, how could I forget?!?!

Seriously, though, I would pay good money to see an objective 3rd party hear an appeal if he does actually get suspended. Just to see Unclue Bud ripped to shreds would be worth it!

It's Time
05-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Levineline reported it was 10 for Barrett and 3 for Mabry. Not sure why they said Lee earlier.

DickAllen72
05-21-2006, 09:11 PM
A.J. and Anderson were involved in the preceding play, and Podsednik was in the On Deck Circle. They all belonged on the field when Barrett physically assaulted A.J.

Lee wasn't even on the Cubs roster and had no business on that field.

You can't blame Podsednik for restraining Barrett after he just witnessed Barrett attacking his teammate.

The Anderson/Mabry incidents were unfortunate. I don't think either one of them deserve any suspension.

Only one person deserves a suspension for starting the whole thing. Barrett should have gotten 20 games.

HotelWhiteSox
05-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but SoxTalk says that someone on the DL is not allowed to go on the field, which would make more sense for Lee, but they also brought up a good point wondering if Contreras went on the field, which would suck if he got punished. Maybe a fine for both the DL guys but suspension is stupid imo

santo=dorf
05-21-2006, 09:36 PM
I heard Lee's suspension could go up to 15 games for using his cast as a weapon.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cc/Bob_Orton_Jr.jpg
"I taught him that move."

southside rocks
05-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Can Podsednik get suspended when he didn't get ejected? I can't figure this out. Rule 9.05 makes it sound like only a "disqualified" [ejected] individual can be fined or suspended. Anyone clarify?

The umpire shall report to the Office of the Commissioner within 12 hours after the end of a game all violations of rules and other incidents worthy of comment, including the disqualification of any trainer, manager, coach or player, and the reasons therefore.
When any trainer, manager, coach or player is disqualified for a flagrant offense such as the use of obscene or indecent language, or an assault upon an umpire, trainer, manager, coach or player, the umpire shall forward full particulars to the Office of the Commissioner within four hours after the end of the game.
After receiving the umpire's report that a trainer, manager, coach or player has been disqualified, the Office of the Commissioner shall impose such penalty as it deems justified, and shall notify the person penalized and the manager of the club of which the penalized person is a member. If the penalty includes a fine, the penalized person shall pay the amount of the fine to the Office of the Commissioner within five days after receiving notice of the fine. Failure to pay such fine within five days shall result in the offender being debarred from participation in any game and from sitting on the players' bench during any game, until the fine is paid.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/umpires/rules_interest.jsp

DumpJerry
05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
It mentioned on the Score pregame this morning that D. Lee could get suspended for getting involved in the fight while on the DL. Of course, if I'm an important cog in the wheel of my team and my wrist is a little weak from a recent fracture, I would not be dumb enough to get into a brawl with about 15 guys.

I guess that is why Hendry never calls me.

Frontman
05-21-2006, 09:45 PM
If AJ gets suspended, they need to suspend the ESPN's baseball commentators who were on last night. "Pierzynski dabbled in the WWE last year."

Idiots. Get your facts straight before going on the air.

Front

Huisj
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM

You're completely wrong. According to the guy on the score this morning, it was all Matt Murton's fault for throwing a ball that hopped in the grass.

salty99
05-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I hope COntreras didn't enter the field. If he did he will also be suspended.

Chips
05-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Can Podsednik get suspended when he didn't get ejected? I can't figure this out. Rule 9.05 makes it sound like only a "disqualified" [ejected] individual can be fined or suspended. Anyone clarify?
The umpire shall report to the Office of the Commissioner within 12 hours after the end of a game all violations of rules and other incidents worthy of comment, including the disqualification of any trainer, manager, coach or player, and the reasons therefore.
When any trainer, manager, coach or player is disqualified for a flagrant offense such as the use of obscene or indecent language, or an assault upon an umpire, trainer, manager, coach or player, the umpire shall forward full particulars to the Office of the Commissioner within four hours after the end of the game.
After receiving the umpire's report that a trainer, manager, coach or player has been disqualified, the Office of the Commissioner shall impose such penalty as it deems justified, and shall notify the person penalized and the manager of the club of which the penalized person is a member. If the penalty includes a fine, the penalized person shall pay the amount of the fine to the Office of the Commissioner within five days after receiving notice of the fine. Failure to pay such fine within five days shall result in the offender being debarred from participation in any game and from sitting on the players' bench during any game, until the fine is paid.http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/umpires/rules_interest.jsp

I think you're right, DJ and Brenneman said it yesterday about only ejected players being suspended. Only Anderson should be suspended.

Frontman
05-21-2006, 10:48 PM
I think you're right, DJ and Brenneman said it yesterday about only ejected players being suspended. Only Anderson should be suspended.

Well, was AJ ejected or was that a voluntary removal of AJ by the Sox? I thought he was ejected as well.

TornLabrum
05-21-2006, 10:57 PM
/me is confused by Lee's punishment. But I really don't care!:cool:

Oooo! IRCspeak!!!!!

DickAllen72
05-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, was AJ ejected or was that a voluntary removal of AJ by the Sox? I thought he was ejected as well.

Yeah, but A.J. didn't do anything wrong.

He reportedly was ejected by the umps just as a precaution to maintain order. The official reason will probably be for being "involved" in the altercation, but no suspension would be justified.

Chips
05-21-2006, 11:00 PM

We were refering to Podsednik, not AJ, and AJ did nothing wrong to merit a suspension. Did you read this thread?

soxwon
05-21-2006, 11:26 PM

Lee ? man soo lee?
Derek Lee?
Carlos lee?

ChetChat
05-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Derek Lee? How do you suspend a guy on the DL? I'm confused. :o:

ilsox7
05-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Derek Lee? How do you suspend a guy on the DL? I'm confused. :o:
Read the thread.

EDIT: Not trying to be mean, just saying it's been discussed right here.

ChetChat
05-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Read the thread.

EDIT: Not trying to be mean, just saying it's been discussed right here.

There's no specific answer on the thread. Am I to assume that if he does get suspended, it starts effective the first day he's eligible to return to play?

CLR01
05-21-2006, 11:43 PM
You know he will. He went crazy and took a few punches at Mabry and then threw him to the ground. That's why Barrett should have gotten 15 because he actually made contact with his punch and A.J. had no clue it was coming.

Anderson threw a punch at Barrett and connected on his way in from 1st base. I can see it clearly on the tape I have of the game and I am sure MLB has multiple angles that are of much better quality. If Barrett is indeed getting 15 games BA is probably going to get 10 if not more.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Oooo! IRCspeak!!!!!

I try and stay fresh. You know, when you've been around a while people get tired of the same old song and dance. My fans demmand more!

y2j2785
05-21-2006, 11:51 PM
I believe Derrek Lee was suspended because he could not be on the field since he was on the disabled list. So im guessing once hes ready to come back he'll serve his suspension.

goon
05-21-2006, 11:55 PM
they should have given barrett the chair.

RowanDye
05-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Can we bring someone up when BA gets suspended? I don't like the idea of relying on Rob in CF for a week. He did not look good today.

johnny_mostil
05-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah, but A.J. didn't do anything wrong.

He reportedly was ejected by the umps just as a precaution to maintain order. The official reason will probably be for being "involved" in the altercation, but no suspension would be justified.

Precaution? Well, then, I guess Barrett should have been ejected before Sunday's game. That would have avoided having to worry about retailiation.

Seriously, they ejected Pierzynski because they made a mistake. It happens. Now the question is, will MLB admit it or attempt to cover it up with some bogus suspension?

jenn2080
05-22-2006, 08:50 AM

I wouldnt be worried. Lee had no business being out there since he is on the DL that is why he got suspended.

samram
05-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Can we bring someone up when BA gets suspended? I don't like the idea of relying on Rob in CF for a week. He did not look good today.

I don't believe you're allowed to call anyone up since the player is still technically on the roster- he just can't play. I think you can do it if a player is out on bereavement leave (didn't Willie Harris have that issue within the last couple of years?), but not during a suspension.

Lee, I believe, gets an automatic suspension for being on the field while being on the DL.

alohafri
05-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I heard Lee's suspension could go up to 15 games for using his cast as a weapon.

I NEVER thought I would see a Cowboy Bob Orton reference on WSI!

Rocky Soprano
05-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I believe Derrek Lee was suspended because he could not be on the field since he was on the disabled list. So im guessing once hes ready to come back he'll serve his suspension.

Exactly!

Derrek was on the bench and he came onto the field during the brawl. Since he is not on the active roster, he has NO business on the field.

Blob
05-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Who would have ever thought a picture of Cowboy Bob would come up during a Sox conversation. :D:

Blob
05-22-2006, 11:32 AM
I NEVER thought I would see a Cowboy Bob Orton reference on WSI!

Darn! Beat me to it! Still weird to see. Even with the antics on the field this last weekend.

jdm2662
05-22-2006, 11:55 AM
If the Lee suspension is true, anyone see Contreas on the field during the fight? He's going to get a suspension as well. I hope he wasn't in the dug out at the time.

itsnotrequired
05-22-2006, 12:00 PM
If the Lee suspension is true, anyone see Contreas on the field during the fight? He's going to get a suspension as well. I hope he wasn't in the dug out at the time.

:?:

Contreras is on the active roster, Lee is not.

CLR01
05-22-2006, 12:04 PM

He was on the disabled list until yesterday.

D. TODD
05-22-2006, 12:12 PM

Front He was on the DL, it was an automatic suspension once he entered the playing field.

jdm2662
05-22-2006, 12:15 PM

He wasn't on Saturday, as CLR correctly pointed out.

itsnotrequired
05-22-2006, 12:15 PM
He was on the disabled list until yesterday.

Damn, I got my days crossed. I thought the fight was yesterday.

:redface:

D. TODD
05-22-2006, 12:41 PM
About what I figured, except for Mabry. I heard in the radio pre-game Sunday that D. Lee would be an automatic for entering the playing field. Before that I figured Barett for 10 and Anderson for 5-6 would be the only suspensions.

CHISOXFAN13
05-22-2006, 01:01 PM
This whole thread is ridiculous. One, there have been no reports of any suspensions. Secondly, why would MLB hand out suspensions to the Cubs one day and to the Sox the next?

cbone
05-22-2006, 01:04 PM
This whole thread is ridiculous. One, there have been no reports of any suspensions. Secondly, why would MLB hand out suspensions to the Cubs one day and to the Sox the next?

I checked everywhere for confirmation and came up empty. :dunno:

CHISOXFAN13
05-22-2006, 01:05 PM
I checked everywhere for confirmation and came up empty. :dunno:

It takes the league office more than 24 hours to disect the tape and announce suspensions.

I can't believe how many people have actually bit on this thread.

Jjav829
05-22-2006, 01:12 PM
It takes the league office more than 24 hours to disect the tape and announce suspensions.

I can't believe how many people have actually bit on this thread.

Same here. Besides, the league office isn't even open on Sunday. Reviewing the tape is something that won't occur until today at the soonest. They won't hand out suspensions until this afternoon at the earliest.

FarWestChicago
05-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Same here. Besides, the league office isn't even open on Sunday. Reviewing the tape is something that won't occur until today at the soonest. They won't hand out suspensions until this afternoon at the earliest.I know one suspension that just got handed out. :redneck