PDA

View Full Version : Catching Question

RichH55
02-02-2002, 05:43 AM
How many years does Sandy have left on his deal?

OR if you want to, how many knee surgeries are we looking at before the contract expires

Blueprint1
02-02-2002, 06:11 AM
Hey I have a question does anyone remember Michel Huff not Charles huff Micheal huff I have a little bet going on here let me know

RichH55
02-02-2002, 06:13 AM
I remember Huff......IIRC he was a throw away oF from the early 1990s

RichH55
02-02-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Hey I have a question does anyone remember Michel Huff not Charles huff Micheal huff I have a little bet going on here let me know

Id much prefer to remember Ivan Calderon

MaggPipes
02-02-2002, 09:58 AM
i think this is Sandy last year...

Daver
02-02-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
i think this is Sandy last year...

You are correct.

Don Pardo tell him what he's won.

Procol Harum
02-02-2002, 01:19 PM
Hey, at least we know this: he's sounding great in interviews from Soxfest....his vocal chords are primed to yell at Durham to wake up at 2B as the stealing baserunner whizzes past him....

Spiff
02-02-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by daver

You are correct.

Don Pardo tell him what he's won.

Pardo was born in Westfield. Which is something, I suppose...

AsInWreck
02-02-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Hey, at least we know this: he's sounding great in interviews from Soxfest....his vocal chords are primed to yell at Durham to wake up at 2B as the stealing baserunner whizzes past him....

If i had a nickel for every baserunner sandy threw
out last year I could buy a frozen burrito

czalgosz
02-02-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

If i had a nickel for every baserunner sandy threw
out last year I could buy a frozen burrito

Be a pretty cheap burrito. You'd only have 70 cents.

Alomar caught 14 out of 45 attempts. (31%)
Mark Johnson caught 17 out of 49 attempts (35%)
Josh Paul caught 9 out of 53 attempts (17%)

And people wondered why I was screaming when they decided on Paul over Johnson in ST.

AsInWreck
02-02-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Be a pretty cheap burrito. You'd only have 70 cents.

Alomar caught 14 out of 45 attempts. (31%)

That was actually better than I thought/they've got frozen burritos at 3 for a dollar at my grocery store

KempersRS
02-02-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Pardo was born in Westfield. Which is something, I suppose...

Nope.

OfficerKarkovice
02-02-2002, 02:57 PM

Josh Paul caught 9 out of 53 attempts (17%)

That's rediculous

czalgosz
02-02-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

That's rediculous

No kidding. Paul has a weak arm, and the rest of the league knows it. They ran on him more than either Alomar or Johnson, and he didn't play as much as they did.

His weak hitting would be acceptable if he was a good defensive catcher. But he's not, not at all.

BTW, Scott Hatteberg was the worst at throwing out runners - he caught 12 out of 127 (9%). He was hurt by the fact that the Red Sox don't use the slide step, but still...

By far the best was Irod - he's in a class by himself. He threw out 35 out of 58 (60%).

Most catchers are between 25 and 35 per cent.

pearso66
02-02-2002, 05:10 PM
what i wouldnt give to have IROD on the team, when i heard that the rangers were thinking of moving him, i was thinking that would be great. he would be a better veteran to teach the pitchers and young catchers how to play, way better than sandy. If you're gonna learn from someone, why not make it from the best

guillen4life13
02-02-2002, 05:37 PM
learn from the best, yes.

but learning from the best should not compromise getting more able players, and draining your payroll, as IROD would do. He's the best catcher in MLB, without a doubt (Mike Piazza? that's a load of b.s.). He can throw, he can hit. He can also earn more than frank thomas. we don't need him THAT much. C.J. would have been much better. Less money involved.

czalgosz
02-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
learn from the best, yes.

but learning from the best should not compromise getting more able players, and draining your payroll, as IROD would do. He's the best catcher in MLB, without a doubt (Mike Piazza? that's a load of b.s.). He can throw, he can hit. He can also earn more than frank thomas. we don't need him THAT much. C.J. would have been much better. Less money involved.

Said it then, I'll say it now - Charles Johnson is not worth $10 Million dollars a year. He's good, but he'll never match what he did in 2000 ever again.

RichH55
02-03-2002, 05:19 AM

Said it then, I'll say it now - Charles Johnson is not worth $10 Million dollars a year. He's good, but he'll never match what he did in 2000 ever again.

Is CJ making 10 a year? I thought when he went to Florida he came down to either 7 or 8 million a year>?

Paulwny
02-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
what i wouldnt give to have IROD on the team, when i heard that the rangers were thinking of moving him, i was thinking that would be great. he would be a better veteran to teach the pitchers and young catchers how to play, way better than sandy. If you're gonna learn from someone, why not make it from the best

I-Rod is not a team player, disliked by many on the Rangers pitching staff. Refuses to attend meetings on how to pitch to the opposing batters, continually calls for a fast ball with a fast runner on 1st, more concerned with his % of runners thrown out then with the batter.

bjmarte
02-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

Is CJ making 10 a year? I thought when he went to Florida he came down to either 7 or 8 million a year>?

I don't remember the exact dollar amounts but I do remember that what CJ accepted from Florida was 2-3 million less than what he was willing to accept from the WS.

czalgosz
02-03-2002, 06:52 PM

He gave the Marlins a home-town discount. Even at 7 Million, he's too expensive, IMO.

RichH55
02-05-2002, 07:12 AM

He gave the Marlins a home-town discount. Even at 7 Million, he's too expensive, IMO.

Well with the Posada signing things are a bit different now, but 7 million is about 4.5-5 million more than Sandy is making IIRC and CJ gives you a lot more bng for your buck....as it is next year we are going to have a rather low payroll and a potential blackhole at C unless Olivio really continues to develop nicely.....I'm usually pretty pragmatic about signings and using money smartly, but CJ would have been a good signing...hoping Olivio can put it all together isnt exactly the best posible scenario and with the dearth(sic) of catching out there, maybe you have to bite the bullet more than on other positions

Meatpants
02-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Assuming Royce isn't at .200 anymore (a big assumption, I know), they should be willing to live with zero production from the catching position. I'd let Sandy play til his knees give out, then go w/ Johnson. I'm not sure Olivo is going to be the long-term answer, might we see the great Lee Evans this year?

RichH55
02-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Meatpants
Assuming Royce isn't at .200 anymore (a big assumption, I know), they should be willing to live with zero production from the catching position. I'd let Sandy play til his knees give out, then go w/ Johnson. I'm not sure Olivo is going to be the long-term answer, might we see the great Lee Evans this year?
Lee Evans is essentially a non-factor, but Olivio is really growing on me....if he continues the upward trend he has been on we should be sitting pretty for once at C.....and having Royce and Mark Johnson in the lineup is not a good idea....2 outs you are giving up every time through, no reason to plya Royce when you can play 8 solid hitters and wait on Olivio

Randar68
02-05-2002, 03:08 PM

Lee Evans is essentially a non-factor, but Olivio is really growing on me....if he continues the upward trend he has been on we should be sitting pretty for once at C.....and having Royce and Mark Johnson in the lineup is not a good idea....2 outs you are giving up every time through, no reason to plya Royce when you can play 8 solid hitters and wait on Olivio

Personally, I am much more comfortable with MJ behind the plate than with Sandy or Josh. He calls a good game and is the only one of our catching options who draws walks. I think he is much better than Sandy at this point.

Paul is trash, and while Lee Evans won't hit much, he is a very good receiver/game caller....pitchers like that...

Personally, I think Evans will make his pro debut before Olivo, as a backup, as his catching skills are very advanced....