PDA

View Full Version : Best Part of the Fight

JUribe1989
05-21-2006, 02:10 AM
The way Podsednik and Anderson defended AJ said a lot about this team to me. Podsednik just watched Barrett punch AJ in the face and proceeded to tackle Barrett as Brian Anderson came running in to land one punch on Barrett and then punch Mabry and start a huge pile-on on the useless utility player. I was there and it was great to see the scrawny Podsednik take down hot **** Barrett.

Scotty and Brian rule!

HotelWhiteSox
05-21-2006, 02:18 AM
Also, when watching the 124th replay, watching Yellow M&M's reaction is great too, I think he wanted to jump in there

RadioheadRocks
05-21-2006, 02:24 AM
Some of the responses and reactions from simpering sCrUBS fans have been pretty entertaining as well! :D:

StockdaleForVeep
05-21-2006, 02:27 AM
The way Podsednik and Anderson defended AJ said a lot about this team to me. Podsednik just watched Barrett punch AJ in the face and proceeded to tackle Barrett as Brian Anderson came running in to land one punch on Barrett and then punch Mabry and start a huge pile-on on the useless utility player. I was there and it was great to see the scrawny Podsednik take down hot **** Barrett.

Scotty and Brian rule!

I think its common sense that if yer team is in a fight u jump in

Hell look at the tigers\sox 2000 brawl, heh, funny to think my friends' father apparently was the sucker puncher on foulke, not sure if foulke but he said "yeah i punched someone when they were turned"

JUribe1989
05-21-2006, 02:28 AM
I just love how Barrett thought he was so tough punching AJ, but then the tiny leadoff hitter tackles him to the ground with ease!

RadioheadRocks
05-21-2006, 02:41 AM
I just love how Barrett thought he was so tough punching AJ, but then the tiny leadoff hitter tackles him to the ground with ease!

Not to mention how that sucker punch apparently had no effect whatsoever on A.J. :D:

kwolf68
05-21-2006, 02:44 AM
Barrett should be behind bars. What a lowlife sack of it....AJ made a clean baseball play. Of all the people who should know that, a catcher would be one.

The Cubs are not only a bad baseball team, but they are actually true losers. Kudos to them.

bobwsx
05-21-2006, 07:06 AM
I was at the game.You can't tell on tv but, the whole sox bulpen was already in the infeild before any cubs even left the dugout.That team has no pulse,no life and no balls!

tick53
05-21-2006, 09:52 AM
I gotta say the best part of the fight was Pods and BA coming to help their
team mate. It shows what a true team they really are. Ozzie hasn't only put
together a winning team, he has built a family!:smile: .

I would have loved to have had Hawk broadcasting the game yesterday too!
He would went nuts!

LongLiveFisk
05-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Not to mention how that sucker punch apparently had no effect whatsoever on A.J. :D:

That was my favorite part. Barrett's punch was borderline "sucker" and it did nothing to AJ. Is that the best this guy has?? :rolleyes:

I also loved how AJ motioned to the crowd in a "get up!" fashion as he walked off the field. That was further insult to Barrett's wimpy punch.

I want Mags back
05-21-2006, 09:06 PM
I would have loved to have had Hawk broadcasting the game yesterday too!
He would went nuts!

WHAT, Youre gonna throw AJ out. That is BS

JohnBasedowYoda
05-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Barret just looks like a punk.

http://wgnradio.com/sports/photos/cubscon2004/michaelbarrettCC04.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2006, 09:18 PM
The best part of the fight is finding out which "fans" have no ****ing clue why the 2006 White Sox are playing baseball this season.

We had nothing to gain playing the Cubs, and predictably we lost something instead. There is no good reason why Anderson should be lost to this team, but we all know he will be.

Yeah, but let's beat our chest about how great the fight was.

:kukoo:

It's Time
05-21-2006, 09:20 PM
The best part of the fight is finding out which "fans" have no ****ing clue why the 2006 White Sox are playing baseball this season.

We had nothing to gain playing the Cubs, and predictably we lost something instead. There is no good reason why Anderson should be lost to this team, but we all know he will be.

George:

What do you expect to happen at Wrigley next month?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2006, 09:23 PM
George:

I have no idea. I only know the Sox have nothing to gain. Reinsdorf ought to get the Cubs taken off next year's schedule ASAP. The time for rolling around in the sandbox with these sticky little punks has come and gone.

Edward
05-21-2006, 09:27 PM
I have no idea. I only know the Sox have nothing to gain. Reinsdorf ought to get the Cubs taken off next year's schedule ASAP. The time for rolling around in the sandbox with these sticky little punks has come and gone.

Are you saying get rid of all AL-NL play in the regular season? Or just us and the Cubs?

Chips
05-21-2006, 09:28 PM

Six games against the Cubs is too many considering we only play some American League rivals, such as the Yankees six times. Three games is enough.

Frontman
05-21-2006, 09:39 PM
George,

Let me get this straight. You think a completely sold out gate for 3 consecutive games does nothing for the White Sox Team or Organization? There is nothing to be gained from it? Its called money, and with the money they made this weekend, they probably could pay a few of the players salaries for the year. If the Crosstown Classic gets Paul or Jim or even Rob or Joe for the year, I'm all for it.

EDITED SO GEORGE CAN READ IT, lighten up on the Cubs hate. I might find the Tribune Corp deplorable for putting out such a lousy product, but even I'll admit that the Crosstown Classic is a great business move. Sadly, it does less for the Cubs and more for the Sox. We've got a bigger stadium to fill, those guys could put out cardboard cutouts on dolly track and fans would still believe a game is going on.

And by Sox fans getting fired up due to a bench clearing brawl, we are either stupid or nuts? That we're not "true" Sox fans? Come on man, that's just silly, and its baseball. While I can't condone fighting, noone got seriously hurt, 2 players from each team got ejected. The game went on afterwards, no outlandish behavior really from the fans that was out of the norm, the Sox won the game, and when the weekend ended, the Sox won 2, lost 1. I do recall a certain outfielder saying that their whole goal of every series is to win the series. 2-1, Sox win the series.

BA and possibly AJ and Pods *may* get suspended a few games, but guess what? Ozzie and crew can handle that. So for a few games, we have Widger, Ozuna, and Machowiak. Out of those 3, Pablo is the only one who makes me nervous when it comes to their playing abilities. We'll be fine with them out for a few games, there is no way that those 3 will get the same amount of games as Barrett.

EDITED SO GEORGE CAN READ IT, before getting on the cases of Sox fans, I would suggest taking a breather and calm down. Some Sox fans take a bit of "Sox pride" from seeing their team rally to protect one of their own. Now if a fan took this as an excuse to beat up a Cubs fan, I'd be right alongside you condemning it. But, having won the series, having our lead off guy basically lock up their tough "martial artist" of a catcher, and we saw Iguchi hit his first slam in the majors, I think it was a good day.

Front

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
George,

Let me get this straight. You think a completely sold out gate for 3 consecutive games does nothing for the White Sox Team or Organization? There is nothing to be gained from it? Its called money, and with the money they made this weekend, they probably could pay a few of the players salaries for the year. If the Crosstown Classic gets Paul or Jim or even Rob or Joe for the year, I'm all for it.

Dude, ...

Dude, I never read another ****ing word.

Frontman
05-21-2006, 09:45 PM

Whatever then. I won't read your garbage if you can't read beyond the word "dude" in one of my posts. Here, let me edit it out for you then so you can...

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Whatever then. I won't read your garbage if you can't read beyond the word "dude" in one of my posts. Here, let me edit it out for you then so you can...

That's a deal. You'll waste less of my time never responding.

It's Time
05-21-2006, 09:47 PM

3-2-1????

Frontman
05-21-2006, 09:49 PM
3-2-1????

Yeah, I figure I'll get suspended for speaking my mind and disagreeing with George.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I figure I'll get suspended for speaking my mind and disagreeing with George.

You're still here, aren't you? Wasting bandwith, but still...

ilsox7
05-21-2006, 09:50 PM

I've seen plenty of people disagree with any and all mods around here over the years and nothing comes of it other than a good debate. I think it's more HOW you conduct yourself if there is a disagreement (with anyone for that matter).

TornLabrum
05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
3-2-1????

Zero. 3 days off for the frontman who might want take that time to read the rules about disrespecting others around here....

Justagirl
05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
That's a deal. You'll waste less of my time never responding.
Isnt responding to him wasting your time?

markopat
05-21-2006, 10:01 PM
First match on the WWWMLB Card:

"Devestating" FrontMan vs "Iron" PaleHoseGeorge...Best of 3 falls

The Main Card:

A.J. "The Rock" Pierzynski vs. Michael "The Moron" Barrett...Best of 3 falls

ding...ding...ding.....Lettt's Get ready to rumbbbbbblllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:)

Viva Medias B's
05-21-2006, 10:07 PM
George:

I hope the Cubs don't have the same mentality Forrest Gregg's Packers did in '85 when the Bears came to Lambeau Field. Two weeks prior, the Bears humiliated the Packers at Soldier Field on "Monday Night Football." In Green Bay, the dirty Packers ran Walter Payton out of bounds over benches. Also, IIRC, Ken Stills ran over Matt Suhey after a play was blown dead.

2006 Cubs = 1985 Packers???

LuvSox
05-21-2006, 10:11 PM
I hope the Cubs don't have the same mentality Forrest Gregg's Packers did in '85 when the Bears came to Lambeau Field. Two weeks prior, the Bears humiliated the Packers at Soldier Field on "Monday Night Football." In Green Bay, the dirty Packers ran Walter Payton out of bounds over benches. Also, IIRC, Ken Stills ran over Matt Suhey after a play was blown dead.

They can try. Maybe the rest of the country would finally see their true colors.

It's Time
05-21-2006, 10:11 PM

It depends on where the Cubs are at a month from now. They are done as far as the division is concerned but the wild card might be something they can stay in the hunt for.

If they are out of it (likely) anything could go down and that's not a good thing.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Actually I had forgotten about that, but I think your analogy holds. The world champion Bears had no business playing the punks Forrest Gregg fielded, and it costs the Bears dearly further down the line. Nothing but chicken****...

Payton nearly got his back broken being thrown over a bench and McMahon was lost for the season, his throwing shoulder pile-driven into the turf on a play 30 yards down the field.

Yeah, let's play the Cubs some more! It's so exciting to watch! And we learn a lot about our team, too!

beckett21
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
They can try. Maybe the rest of the country would finally see their true colors.

Nah. It would still all be AJ's fault.

IlliniSox4Life
05-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Actually I had forgotten about that, but I think your analogy holds. The world champion Bears had no business playing the punks Forrest Gregg fielded, and it costs the Bears dearly further down the line. Nothing but chicken****...

Payton nearly got his back broken being thrown over a bench and McMahon was lost for the season, his throwing shoulder pile-driven into the turf on a play 30 yards down the field.

Yeah, let's play the Cubs some more! It's so exciting to watch! And we learn a lot about our team, too!

PHG, I think that there is some value to be gained. The Cubs are an easy team and we took 2 out of 3 with little effort. Meanwhile, other AL teams we are competing with have harder "natural rivals" that they have to play 6 games against. The Yanks are playing the Mets (26-17), the Red Sox the Phillies (23-20), Detroit the Reds (25-19), Minnesota the Brewers (23-20), Oakland the Giants (23-21), and Texas is playing Houston (24-10). Meanwhile, we play the Cubs (18-25). The only team who is a contendor for the playoffs IMO playing a worse team for the natural rivalry series is Cleveland playing Pittsburg (14-30).

If anything, it is giving us an easier schedule than most of the other AL contenders. Anderson (and maybe others) getting suspended is not a good thing for the team, but you can't expect that to happen. We've played the Cubs before, and as far as I know, these are the first suspensions to result from playing them. The atmosphere in the crowd is heated, but the players will tell you there is a bigger rivalry between them and other teams (before this series, I bet a large majority of people here would say that there was a higher chance of a fight/suspension in a series against the Angels than the Cubs).

It also gets the Sox in a highly publicized series that increases the national exposure in a series that we should easily win. Many people will say one of the reasons the Cubs gained such popularity in Chicago and around the country is being broadcast nationally on WGN, and the Sox switching off of public television led to their smaller fan base. Well, here's a series that we should win that will be highly publicized. I can't see too many fans switching from the Sox to the Cubs because of this series, but I can see a lot switching to the Sox. More fans = more money which is good for the organization.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you like Frontman, I just think that there is some value in playing this series, it's all just how you look at it.

BadBobbyJenks
05-22-2006, 01:35 AM

why did this guy get banned.....pretty lame

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2006, 08:31 AM
I've been saying we should only be playing the Cubs for 1 series and only when the AL Central plays the NL Central. Two 3-game series every year is overkill and not necessary. I would definitely rather play the Yanks/Red Sox or some other team with that other series. The fact that it's all about the almighty dollar is so blantantly and pathetically obvious with this crap.

batmanZoSo
05-22-2006, 09:36 AM
I've been saying we should only be playing the Cubs for 1 series and only when the AL Central plays the NL Central. Two 3-game series every year is overkill and not necessary. I would definitely rather play the Yanks/Red Sox or some other team with that other series. The fact that it's all about the almighty dollar is so blantantly and pathetically obvious with this crap.

I agree 100%. That punch was the final straw for me. We don't need this crap. The Sox don't rely on the revenue from these games anymore. I am really sick of this myself. Let the teams play when it's their turn to play each other.

No other sport does anything remotely like this. It's a complete joke.

palehozenychicty
05-22-2006, 09:52 AM

Indeed, with both teams being eternally terrible and deplorable.

SOXPHILE
05-22-2006, 09:58 AM
The best part ? That the Sox went on to smack around the poor lil' Cubbies 7-0, and Michael Barret got to sit in the locker room and watch his teamates get pantsed. That was the best part...

PennStater98r
05-22-2006, 10:29 AM

/beats his chest

:)

Blob
05-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Anyone else notice Scotty getting hit in the face with the umps mask when he tackled Barret? Poor little guy!! I'm sure it was an accident, but that had to hurt too.

PennStater98r
05-22-2006, 10:36 AM

/searches for the respect

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2006, 12:25 PM
PHG, I think that there is some value to be gained. The Cubs are an easy team and we took 2 out of 3 with little effort....
I think you're missing the bigger point. The Sox are going to lose at least one everyday ballplayer for several games AFTER the Cubs series is long over. The guy is a rookie and the last thing he needs is to be sitting out games when he's trying to learn the league. He is guilty of nothing except reacting to a bunch of no-talent punks.

This HURTS the White Sox far more than playing any other piece of **** ballclub with a losing record.

You look across the diamond and see the Cubs, a natural rival for the Sox. I look across the diamond and see a ballclub completely out of control and the WORST NIGHTMARE for any Sox team trying to win championships, not barroom Brownie points.

The prizes come in October, not May or July. We ought to treat the Cubs like any other interleague opponent. A special six-game war with these bozos has no meaning in the big scheme of things.

The era for this "roll in the sandbox" bull**** is over. It ended October 26, 2005.

skottyj242
05-22-2006, 12:37 PM
The best part about the fight?

That I was sitting next to my old man who got up on his chair and raced down and told me: "Just so you know I"ve got this all on Tivo."

RowanDye
05-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I think you're missing the bigger point. The Sox are going to lose at least one everyday ballplayer for several games AFTER the Cubs series is long over. The guy is a rookie and the last thing he needs is to be sitting out games when he's trying to learn the league. He is guilty of nothing except reacting to a bunch of no-talent punks.

This HURTS the White Sox far more than playing any other piece of **** ballclub with a losing record.

You look across the diamond and see the Cubs, a natural rival for the Sox. I look across the diamond and see a ballclub completely out of control and the WORST NIGHTMARE for any Sox team trying to win championships, not barroom Brownie points.

The prizes come in October, not May or July. We ought to treat the Cubs like any other interleague opponent. A special six-game war with these bozos has no meaning in the big scheme of things.

The era for this "roll in the sandbox" bull**** is over. It ended October 26, 2005.

Maybe Riensdorf just shouldn't schedule games against Michal Barrett?! This could have gone down the same way against any other team in the league. I don't really see how this is a Cubs v. White Sox thing....it was an isolated incident from a temporarily insane individual. AJ was trying to help the team win by scoring a run in a tied ball game like he would in any other game. It's not like the pitchers came into the series trying to bean each others batters.

digdagdug23
05-22-2006, 12:50 PM

I whole-heartedly concur with your observation. Just a thought, it has been tossed around about player's union filing petitions, what not, so what are the odds of getting BA's suspension overturned, or at the very least lightened? I see what Grin and Barrett received, and I imagine he will try and reduce, so what are BA's odds of getting this done?

manders_01
05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
I also throughly enjoyed watching Ozzie in the fight. He didn't know which one of his guys to grab first and kept moving back and forth between them.

I only wish I had seen it as it was happening rather than on ESPN cause our FOX affilate didn't carry the game. :whiner:

roylestillman
05-22-2006, 01:55 PM

Full house at $5 over "Premium (or is it premier) Game" - don't think this is leaving the schedule soon. I agree though, bragging rights have moved beyond this series and into the post season

pdimas
05-22-2006, 01:59 PM
why did this guy get banned.....pretty lame

I agree banning Frontman was pretty lame.

IlliniSox4Life
05-22-2006, 02:04 PM

I understand your point about losing Anderson for a couple of games. In this instance, that is why we lose in the long run from the fight. However, my point is, the uniform didn't cause the fight. There's a chance of the players getting into a fight in every game. If they happen to get in a fight with the Royals and someone gets suspended, should we stop playing one of the easiest teams on our schedule? (I know we have had some troubles with them this year, but that's irrelevant. I would still rather play them than the Yankees or Tigers right now.)

Before today, the fight, there was no rivalry between the teams. Barrets punch created one, but the same punch could have come from anty other frustrated losing team we were playing. Should we stop playing bad teams just because they might be frustrated and it could spill over onto the field?

I think the difference between our two sides of our arguments is (and correct me if I am wrong) you think there was a higher chance for a fight with the Cubs because they are the Cubs, and that scheduling 6 games a year is just inviting for fights to happen. Sure they have a couple of punk players, but so do a lot of other teams. The "rivalry" and the uniform didn't cause the fight, the players did. I don't put any weight behind the rivalry, it exists pretty much because of the fans and media. But the same Cubs team with the same record in any other uniform, and Barret would have still thrown the punch. Put the same Sox team in a different uniform and have them play the Cubs and Barret would have still thrown the punch. We shouldn't limit our games against the Angels just because Escobar might hit our players.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Before today, the fight, there was no rivalry between the teams. Barrets punch created one, but the same punch could have come from anty other frustrated losing team we were playing. Should we stop playing bad teams just because they might be frustrated and it could spill over onto the field?....But the same Cubs team with the same record in any other uniform, and Barret would have still thrown the punch. Put the same Sox team in a different uniform and have them play the Cubs and Barret would have still thrown the punch. We shouldn't limit our games against the Angels just because Escobar might hit our players.
You're focusing on Barrett. I'm not.

Did Zambrano's behavior even remotely resemble Escobar's to you? It didn't to me.

Did Dusty's control of the Cubs look anything like Scioscia's Angels? It didn't to me.

Can you cite examples of the Angels who made complete idiots of themselves with ridiculous public comments anything like Rich Hill and Jacques Jones? I'm aware of nothing that remotely compares.

More to the point, we're the Cubs focused on WINNING like the Angels, or just asserting their manhood -- punks that they are?

Comparing the Cubs to any other team is just silly.

IlliniSox4Life
05-22-2006, 02:41 PM
You're focusing on Barrett. I'm not.

Did Zambrano's behavior even remotely resemble Escobar's to you? It didn't to me.

Did Dusty's control of the Cubs look anything like Scioscia's Angels? It didn't to me.

Can you cite examples of the Angels who made complete idiots of themselves with ridiculous public comments anything like Rich Hill and Jacques Jones? I'm aware of nothing that remotely compares.

More to the point, we're the Cubs focused on WINNING like the Angels, or just asserting their manhood -- punks that they are?

Comparing the Cubs to any other team is just silly.

What I was trying to get at is exactly what you were saying. It is the players/manager that caused the fight/circumstances. Barret/Zambrano/Baker/whoever is at fault - not the uniform. Players and managers come and go. Should MLB just forfeit the Cubs season so nobody has to play the team because they are doing poorly, have some punks, and might start fights? If you were arguing that there is tension between the teams specifically because they are from the same city and thus causes more fights, I could accept that as a reason to cut down on the interleague/natural rivals. However, you seem to be arguing that just becaue the Cubs have some punks on their team, we shouldn't play them. Eventually, those players will no longer be on the Cubs. Should we not play the team Barrett or Zambrano play on next or that Dusty manages?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2006, 02:49 PM
....If you were arguing that there is tension between the teams specifically because they are from the same city and thus causes more fights, I could accept that as a reason to cut down on the interleague/natural rivals. However, you seem to be arguing that just becaue the Cubs have some punks on their team, we shouldn't play them. Eventually, those players will no longer be on the Cubs. Should we not play the team Barrett or Zambrano play on next or that Dusty manages?

Actually I've already stated my position on this: WE SHOULD TREAT THE CUBS LIKE ANY OTHER INTERLEAGUE OPPONENT.

Right now we have an annual six-game war over nothing. Sure, when both teams went 4+ generations without a championship, the relevance of this petty pissing contest might have counted for something. But in case you hadn't noticed, this all changed on October 26, 2005.

The prizes come in October, not May or July -- at least not for the Sox. The old paradigm has passed away. Let's start dealing with it, and stop pretending to be confused when things go awry like they did Saturday and Sunday.

IlliniSox4Life
05-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Actually I've already stated my position on this: WE SHOULD TREAT THE CUBS LIKE ANY OTHER INTERLEAGUE OPPONENT.

I can accept that if that's how you think it should be scheduled like I can accept people who think interleague play should be done away with all together. It's just my opinion that if baseball wants to give us an extra three games against the most perpetually inept team in baseball, while other teams get 3 extra games against other contenders, I'll take any advantage I can get. The prizes do come in October, and playing an easier team while teams in the AL play better organizations with better teams gives us just a slightly better chance of being there. Its unfortunate that a fight had to break out that will cause Anderson to miss some games and possibly hurt our chances more than help them this year, but that has nothing to do with the Cubs and everything to do with the individual players.

Either way, it was a good debate.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2006, 03:26 PM
...It's just my opinion that if baseball wants to give us an extra three games against the most perpetually inept team in baseball, while other teams get 3 extra games against other contenders, I'll take any advantage I can get. ...

Either way, it was a good debate.
I'll gladly swap out three (or even six) games against the Lovable Losers from Chicago with 3 or 6 games with the Unlovable Losers from Pittsburgh. Or the Unlovable Losers from D.C. Or Miami. Or San Diego.

That's the great thing about interleague play. The National League is filled with losers qualified to help the Sox. We don't need the Lovable variety nor their punk attitude.

Meanwhile I'm listening to yet another Lovable Loser fan on the radio claim Sox Fans only care about the Cubs... sheesh... yeah, we really lose a lot shutting up a guy like this.

Just say No to the crosstown classic.
:cool:

oldcomiskey
05-22-2006, 03:46 PM
the Fox station where I live didnt show it--but my dad called and said he heard about a fight in the Sox game----I told him I hadnt heard anything because ESPN gameday just said Barrett was ejected for fighting. We all got a good laugh out of it. I wish we couldve swept the Cubs though--if Detroit dont cool down we might need that one later

JoeCrede4MVP
05-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I know this technically isn't part of the fight, but since everything else has already been brought up, i just want to say that the grand slam by Tadahito just a few batters later really topped off the inning, embarrassing the flubs even more.

:whiner:=flubs

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I know this technically isn't part of the fight, but since everything else has already been brought up, i just want to say that the grand slam by Tadahito just a few batters later really topped off the inning, embarrassing the flubs even more.

:whiner:=flubs
Thank you. This brings up the most important point of all: the Sox won the game. In fact the Sox are world champions because they WIN more often than anybody else. What did all those 88 years of not winning championships get the Sox?

Here's the point the defenders of the crosstown classic completely miss: Winning those 11 games last October did more to improve the Sox financially than ALL the games against the Lovable Losers going back 100 years COMBINED! Yes, that even includes the '06 victory in the World Series.

The ONLY reason why the Lovable Losers series was ever important was because the SOX WERE LOSERS, but they're not losers anymore. Beating the Lovable Losers was the World Series for LOSERS, but the Sox aren't losers anymore.

And thus the stands will be filled even more, and the Sox coffers will be filled even more, when we FINALLY get past the silly notion that playing some goofy annual six-game war with the Lovable Losers has something of merit to it.

It doesn't matter anymore. It's over. It died on October 26, 2005.

minutia
05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
I have to say that this year was the first time I did not care about this series beyond that they are 3 more games the Sox need to win on the road to the playoffs. It was really nice. I work in an office of 60 people most of whom are Cubs fans and they can get pretty obnoxious, even when neither of us really had nothing to brag about. I am glad it is over and wish that if it needs to happen then it just be 1 or 2 game like it used to be back in the old days when it was called the "Busch Crosstown Classic". That was great because it was one game it was over and we got on with it. If it were two then each team would have a chance to play in their own park which is probably more fair. I mean I think the past 2 years we have split the series wiht them so what is the big deal. I would much rather have the focus on the Central Division and not our Northside neighbors. Just my two cents.

woodsdavid
05-23-2006, 01:56 PM
we were in 557 -- WAAYYY up in the LF corner.
fight begins. dugouts clear.
a second later. here comes our bull-pen.
awesome. hilarious.

woodsdavid
05-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Thank you. This brings up the most important point of all: the Sox won the game. In fact the Sox are world champions because they WIN more often than anybody else. What did all those 88 years of not winning championships get the Sox?

Here's the point the defenders of the crosstown classic completely miss: Winning those 11 games last October did more to improve the Sox financially than ALL the games against the Lovable Losers going back 100 years COMBINED! Yes, that even includes the '06 victory in the World Series.

The ONLY reason why the Lovable Losers series was ever important was because the SOX WERE LOSERS, but they're not losers anymore. Beating the Lovable Losers was the World Series for LOSERS, but the Sox aren't losers anymore.

And thus the stands will be filled even more, and the Sox coffers will be filled even more, when we FINALLY get past the silly notion that playing some goofy annual six-game war with the Lovable Losers has something of merit to it.

It doesn't matter anymore. It's over. It died on October 26, 2005.

I don't remember which of the Sports Center anchors said it, but intro'd the highlights of saturday's game with "earlier today, fight between the world champions and the lovable losers".
priceless. i laughed for 5 minutes.

MUScholar21
05-23-2006, 02:41 PM
This was up on Mac, Jurko, and Harry's page on ESPN1000.com today:

http://images.radcity.net/5176/1445923.jpg

LongLiveFisk
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't remember which of the Sports Center anchors said it, but intro'd the highlights of saturday's game with "earlier today, fight between the world champions and the lovable losers".
priceless. i laughed for 5 minutes.

That's fine but I think it's time they dropped the word "lovable".

ode to veeck
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM

Hirarious graphic. I shoudl put one up a work.

IlliniSox4Life
05-23-2006, 04:33 PM
That's fine but I think it's time they dropped the word "lovable".

But the Bud-Light bleachers are so much fun!

Hangar18
05-23-2006, 04:57 PM
NBC put up a stat I wish I memorized, did anyone else see it?
all the combined meetings between the two teams, WS,
Exhibition, Spring training, and now Interleague.
SOX had 166 and the Cubs were like 70? Can anyone dig that up?

Edward
05-23-2006, 05:27 PM
NBC put up a stat I wish I memorized, did anyone else see it?
all the combined meetings between the two teams, WS,
Exhibition, Spring training, and now Interleague.
SOX had 166 and the Cubs were like 70? Can anyone dig that up?

Tried to dig it up, unsucessfully. All I found was the usual 25-23 record.. wait make that 27-24 :cool:

jenmcm76
05-23-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm just curious as to what the Cubune headline was the next day.... I wouldn't have been surprised if it was something like:

STRING OF ASSAULTS CONTINUES AT US CELLULAR

jongarlandlover
05-23-2006, 08:20 PM

aw man, i love that.

the best part of that fight was scottie just tackling barrett. that was hilarious. and then brian running in and punching barrett and then running off to get into his own fight with mabry...

Johnny Mostil
05-23-2006, 08:42 PM

Is there a Cub-hating graphic artist that makes these? I vaguely recall a series with this same basic design after the '03 season . . .

MySoxAreClean
05-23-2006, 10:48 PM
But no matter what everone says, They Still swing a hit like a bunch of girls...