PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Turner Field this past week

SectionBNole
05-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Went to the Braves / Marlins game this past wednesday. Turner Field is a really nice place, and the fans seem to be very knowledgeable. This game ended up going into extra innings and Chipper blasting a walkoff HR in the 11th I believe. Anyway, here are some pictures.

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photo/photo01/85/5d/3b05e2ee5a15.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=s6zhn2sbgbeuz2d5pdzj9w9n - Batting Practice
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photo/photo10/0d/18/05aed2100874.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=8b2nxsowbauhagyclfpx3e6x4 - Jorge Sosa, O. Verriral (sp?), and Horacio Ramirez
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photo/photo04/37/06/48bb1a1b9229.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=f3uqe0lgs97hod2phw0p3ixzz - Picture of Center
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photo/photo07/56/51/6d58c63a1d15.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=2jmmdvpo4zoh57t0ytopig4q4 - View from LF
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photo/photo08/3e/eb/9e6b410c19fd.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=8x4zilsxlyqr382co3g0sctu9 - Andruw Jones making a catch

White City
05-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Looks like we're going to have a great ACC tourney this week! I'm a Wahoo, so I can't wish you good luck (especially Wednesday morning!), but I hope you enjoy Jacksonville otherwise.

Baby Fisk
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey SectionBNole, where did you sit? Where would you recommend someone sit?

SectionBNole
05-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Sat in LF in the 200 level. The only drawback being, you cant see the jumbotron from there. That screen they have in CF is the biggest I have ever seen. Each baseline has good seats, the field is relatively close to the stands. Overall its going to be hard to find really bad seats.

skobabe8
05-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Looks like we're going to have a great ACC tourney this week! I'm a Wahoo, so I can't wish you good luck (especially Wednesday morning!), but I hope you enjoy Jacksonville otherwise.

:?:

....OK.....

As far as the Turner Field goes, that video screen looks incredible from what I've seen of it on tv. It has to be the biggest in baseball. Thats the kind of thing I would love to see on the south side. A new, expanded scoreboard with a huge video screen that actually displays the box score.

Chez
05-22-2006, 04:38 PM
I've been to Turner Field twice. It's okay. The lighting is odd; it seems like the whole place is wired to a dimmer switch. Other than the fan area in centerfield (which is great), the food selection and quality is below average and over priced (even by ballpark standards).

White City
05-24-2006, 10:13 AM
[quote=skobabe8]:?:

....OK.....

quote]

Section B is the COTC equivalent for Florida State baseball. Florida State is playing Virginia -- my alma mater -- right this moment in the ACC tournament. There are as many as four teams in that tournament that can make a strong argument for hosting a superregional: Clemson, UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech. The other four teams in the tourney are all highly ranked in the RPI and have made it into or close to to the Top 10 at various points this season: Miami, FSU, NC State, Wake Forest.

I was merely wishing SectionBNole good luck -- after the ACC Tourney, that is.

D. TODD
05-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I was at Turner Field a few years back when the Sox played there. I sat right behind the plate, and overall I enjoyed the place. Defiantly above average for the 15 or so stadiums I've been to.

D. TODD
05-24-2006, 11:43 AM

....OK.....

quote]

Section B is the COTC equivalent for Florida State baseball. Florida State is playing Virginia -- my alma mater -- right this moment in the ACC tournament. There are as many as four teams in that tournament that can make a strong argument for hosting a superregional: Clemson, UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech. The other four teams in the tourney are all highly ranked in the RPI and have made it into or close to to the Top 10 at various points this season: Miami, FSU, NC State, Wake Forest.

I was merely wishing SectionBNole good luck -- after the ACC Tourney, that is.Go Tarheels!!! Virginia has looked to be the hottest team of late though.

Edward
05-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey SectionBNole, where did you sit? Where would you recommend someone sit?

I was there in March for the SOX series. I'd reccomend to sit on the first base side, from first to third, as close as you can get. GREAT stadium. Get there as early as possible as there is a ton of stuff to do. Pay the extra money and go check out the museum. Also go look at Monument Grove. I've been to about half the current MLB stadiums and this one is the best I've been to. Check out braves.com and plan the trip out.

Check it out.... (http://www.webshots.com/search?new=1&source=homesearch&query=edwaiting)
They aren't all my pictures, but I got lazy after the first wave of uploading, you get the idea...

skobabe8
05-24-2006, 01:58 PM

....OK.....

quote]

I was merely wishing SectionBNole good luck -- after the ACC Tourney, that is.

I gotcha. Just a little confused at first, thats all.

mccoydp
05-24-2006, 02:15 PM
I've been to a couple of games at Turner Field: once in April 1998 to see the Braves vs. the Astros, and another on July 3rd, 2004, to see the Red Sox vs. the Braves. I sat right behind the left field foul pole in 1998, and had to lean right or left (depending on the batter) to see the action.
It is a nice park, but I agree that the concessions are overpriced. The city of Atlanta has a great transit system for moving folks to and from the game, IMO: good shuttle system from the main subway hub. My wife and I stayed at a hotel in Alpharetta (on the north side of town), rode the MARTA downtown to the Underground Atlanta stop, and caught a shuttle bus there that took us to the game. It was nice to be on the train and see all of the cars in the massive traffic jam on I-75/85 going into the city. After the game, MARTA runs the buses back to the subway stop.

Edward
05-24-2006, 02:16 PM
The city of Atlanta has a great transit system for moving folks to and from the game, IMO: good shuttle system from the main subway hub.

Yep, the MARTA, I still have 5 bucks on my card if someone wants to use it :smile:

Edward
05-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Section B is the COTC equivalent for Florida State baseball. Florida State is playing Virginia -- my alma mater -- right this moment in the ACC tournament.

I used to live in Richmond for a few years, I follow their football closely, but haven't even paid any attention to their baseball. But anyways, GO CAVS!

White City
05-24-2006, 06:06 PM
UVa won, 6-2 over FSU. Struck out 15 batters along the way! This year's Virginia team reminds me so much of last year's Sox: Best ERA is baseball, with perhaps the deepest rotation. Lots of manufactured runs, opportunistic base runners, strong defense. The main difference is the lack of power for UVa -- top home run hitter has 6, I believe -- but that is made up for by having eight of nine every day players hitting above .300.

UNC lost to NC State, a team they swept in the regular season. That was the first win for NCSU against their arch rival in any major male sport this entire school year! They roughed up Andrew Miller, who most say will be the number 1 pick in the draft this year (KC Royals).

Each of the 8 teams in the ACC Tourney are ranked in the Top 20 RPI. That's simply astounding!