PDA

View Full Version : Best "grinder" on the team?

WinOrDyeTrying
05-20-2006, 11:56 PM
After todays game, I would have to say that the player who best exemplifies the grinder mentality is AJ. I have always admired his hard nose style of ball, and have thought of him as a key componet of the 2005 team. After today, I have no doubt. Colliding with the catcher of an obviously inferior team to break a tie was ballsy enough. He new that every run, even runs against an out classed team, were important. You don't see too many collisions in the 2nd inning. The hand slap on the base was pure adrenalin, a theatrical jester of him showing he won in a purely physical part of the game.
After he got sucker punched, he got up and raised his arms to pump up the crowed. His adrenalin still on full swing, he was shouting in the dugout and slapping hands, pumping up his own team mates. After all of that, he looked Barrett dead in the eye and held his fist to his chin, signaling to come get some more.

That, my friends, is Grinder baseball.

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Carl called it --- A.J. would emerge as the team leader this year.

WinOrDyeTrying
Oh, and I'll add this:

"Tell that Triple-A [bleep] to shut the [bleep] up. Tell him to start throwing some strikes or he's going to get Dusty fired."

I dont think I need to say who said that quote. :cool:

Fuller_Schettman
I'm sure I am in the minority on this, but it is time to let go of this "Grinder" business. It should have left with Aaron Rowand.

That was another age and another championship team. This one deserves an identity of their own.

Good bye Grinder. We hardly knew ye.

digdagdug23
05-21-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm sure I am in the minority on this, but it is time to let go of this "Grinder" business. It should have left with Aaron Rowand.
That was another age and another championship team. This one deserves an identity of their own.
Good bye Grinder. We hardly knew ye.

But you know, it's pretty much the same. Not a lot of changes to the face of the team, nor the mentality. Still playing small ball, tough pitching staff, only major difference is Rowand/Thome. as long as it still works for the team, it still works for me.

DickAllen72
05-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Aaron Rowand is the ultimate grinder, and was the poster boy for the grinder PR campaign.

But KW built this team on the "grinder" principal and the Sox are still a team of grinders.

Daver
05-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Sports rule number one, "Just Win Baby"

How you do it means nothing.

hawkjt
05-21-2006, 04:09 AM
Sorry, but the only way you win another championship is to ''grind '' it out.

It is not just a marketing scheme , but frame of mind.

Jordan was the ultimate basketball grinder, every practice, every game.

We need that to be the stamp, the face, of our franchise.

MrRoboto83
05-21-2006, 07:32 AM
I would say Iguchi could be thrown into the top nods, he does what is asked of him all the time and has become the best #2 guy in the AL in my opinion.

tick53
05-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Anthony J. Pierzynski :smile: :D:

Postscript: Can Jeff Brantley ever make up his mind on anything ?