PDA

View Full Version : The difference between AJ and Barrett.

cheeses_h_rice
05-20-2006, 08:16 PM
AJ's reputation for being a pain in the ass is due to him doing things in the furtherance of winning games for his ballclub:
-running on the dropped third strike
-stepping on Aaron Boone's back rounding third
-slamming into Barrett while scoring the first run of the game and then accentuating that with a huge handslap of home plate

These are all ACTIONS AJ has done, not just him flapping his gums and being petulant.

Barrett's reputation, on the other hand, is based on his big mouth when things aren't going his team's way. It has absolutely nothing to do with performance on the field in the furtherance of winning:
-getting into it with Roy Oswalt and the Astros
-complaining about Chip & Steve's comments
-Dave Roberts stealing third with 2 outs
-AJ knocking him over when he "didn't have the ball, bitch"

See the difference? I sure do.

I'm just glad AJ is the White Sox's catcher and that Barrett is the Cubs'.

Chips
05-20-2006, 08:22 PM
AJ's reputation for being a pain in the ass is due to him doing things in the furtherance of winning games for his ballclub:
-slamming into Barrett while scoring the first run of the game and then accentuating that with a huge handslap of home plate

These are all ACTIONS AJ has done, not just him flapping his gums and being petulant.

Barrett's reputation, on the other hand, is based on his big mouth when things aren't going his team's way. It has absolutely nothing to do with performance on the field in the furtherance of winning:

Exactly, and I just found my new background. Thanks cheeses

ZachAL
05-20-2006, 08:22 PM
I agree that I am extremely happy to have AJ on our club, especially vs. Barrett, he is one of my favorite guys.

BUT, to play devil's advocate here (not to troll) I think AJ's reputation has really been sparked from the 2004 Giants team. Let's not forget he had his share of enemies on that team, including the trainer. I remember reading plenty of threads around here about it when we first picked him up, so he definitely has been known for some time.

Again, i've already been hearing this stuff from stupid scrub fans, so make sure you're prepared if they throw out this crap at you in an argument about AJ. I couldn't be happier to have him on our team though.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2006, 08:23 PM
cheeses is flubessed!

:tongue:

RadioheadRocks
05-20-2006, 08:24 PM

Let's not forget Barrett's bitching and moaning about how the White Sox took over "OUR downtown" with the World Series parade and victory celebration.

Thought we forgot all about THAT one huh, Barrett?
Dillweed!

nasox
05-20-2006, 08:25 PM
It's funny. I met Barrett and he was a pretty nice guy. Was joking with all the guys and playing with all of the kids around. I met AJ once and he was a douchebag. Wouldn't sign anything, just said leave me alone.

Then I found out why AJ was in such a bad mood. Apparently a family member had died that day.

My friend who met AJ said he was great and was all smiles.

So I guess you never know...

cheeses_h_rice
05-20-2006, 08:37 PM
I agree that I am extremely happy to have AJ on our club, especially vs. Barrett, he is one of my favorite guys.

BUT, to play devil's advocate here (not to troll) I think AJ's reputation has really been sparked from the 2004 Giants team. Let's not forget he had his share of enemies on that team, including the trainer. I remember reading plenty of threads around here about it when we first picked him up, so he definitely has been known for some time.

Again, i've already been hearing this stuff from stupid scrub fans, so make sure you're prepared if they throw out this crap at you in an argument about AJ. I couldn't be happier to have him on our team though.

Apples and oranges. AJ wasn't well liked by some of his Giants teammates, but I don't think that that's part of his overall reputation around the league as a real PITA troublemaker. Every team has its squabbles, but AJ, especially beginning with the 2005 season, has become known as that guy who just gets under your skin for his wily ways.

Viva Medias B's
05-20-2006, 09:25 PM
AJ is the kind of player that you'd love on your own team but revile as an [bleep] if he were on another team.

TaylorStSox
05-20-2006, 09:31 PM

When AJ was on the Twins he was involved in a few dirty plays IMO. Most notably, about 5 years ago, he's running down the 1st base line and goes out of his way to elbow Frank in the back on a play that wasn't remotely close. I was hoping Frank would lay his ass out. He didn't.

The difference between AJ and Barrett is that AJ's on our team. That's it.

SoxFan78
05-20-2006, 09:34 PM
One more difference. AJ has never sucker punched anybody on the field. That mother****er Barrett has.

Hope he has a nice vacation, mother****er.

rocky biddle
05-20-2006, 09:39 PM
AJ is the kind of player that you'd love on your own team but revile as an [bleep] if he were on another team.

Exactly. AJ is a badass, but he's OUR badass. I can understand why people hate him. Hell, if he was on any other team I would definitely hate him. But he's ours and I love it.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2006/05/20/inkJGepI.jpg
That's our boy!!!

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 10:20 PM

:kukoo:

digdagdug23
05-20-2006, 10:25 PM

May not be the case, but, sometimes attitude reflects leadership.

Fuller_Schettman
05-20-2006, 10:43 PM

So, are you saying that if the position were reversed and Barrett decked AJ, that AJ would come up swinging?

You don't really believe that, do you? :?:

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 10:47 PM
So, are you saying that if the position were reversed and Barrett decked AJ, that AJ would come up swinging?

He's probably thinking about the way A.J. grabbed Aaron Boone and sucker punched him in the jaw a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

HotelWhiteSox
05-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Here's a difference

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7545/ring4dc.jpg

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Here's a difference

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7545/ring4dc.jpg

That's probably what really caused the whole thing.

TaylorStSox
05-20-2006, 10:58 PM

It's possible. Jesus! You guys act like a Sox player has never acted in the heat of the moment and threw a punch. Barrett made a mistake and he's going to pay for it. Get over it. I understand that we're supposed to be biased but that doesn't mean I can't use some common sense.

From what I know of both of those guys, they're both firey competitor's that have done some real stupid things in their careers. They're both good ball players and really have a lot in common.

TaylorStSox
05-20-2006, 10:58 PM
That's probably what really caused the whole thing.

Agreed.

Fuller_Schettman
05-20-2006, 11:05 PM
It's possible. Jesus! You guys act like a Sox player has never acted in the heat of the moment and threw a punch. Barrett made a mistake and he's going to pay for it. Get over it. I understand that we're supposed to be biased but that doesn't mean I can't use some common sense.

From what I know of both of those guys, they're both firey competitor's that have done some real stupid things in their careers. They're both good ball players and really have a lot in common.
I disagree. Barrett's punch looks like such a loser move, I just can't fathom AJ taking that pathetic of a shot. It is a different deal if Barrett holds on to the ball and AJ is out and Barrett belts him. Totally different message: You're OUT! and I'm gonna cold-cock you for coming into MY house!

Fuller_Schettman
05-20-2006, 11:08 PM
The real difference between AJ and Barrett:

At least AJ knocks before he comes in!