PDA

View Full Version : How did Hughes/Santo react to fight?

Viva Medias B's
05-20-2006, 07:44 PM
I saw the Fox call of the fight as it happened and since have heard the WSCR call of it. Just out of curiousity, did anyone hear the WGN call of the fight with Pat Hughes and Ron Santo? I wonder what that was like.

Brian26
05-20-2006, 07:50 PM
I saw the Fox call of the fight as it happened and since have heard the WSCR call of it. Just out of curiousity, did anyone hear the WGN call of the fight with Pat Hughes and Ron Santo? I wonder what that was like.

Who cares? Why would any Sox fan be listening to the 'GN radio feed anyway? And do you think blubbering Santo could make sense of it? Who cares about the scrubs, their fans, and their announers.

koch44
05-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Santo basically said, this is what happens when a team is struggling, while Hughes called the action, gameday audio is the best! I get to listen to the reaction over and over from Farmer and Singleton.

Trav
05-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Santo basically said, this is what happens when a team is struggling, while Hughes called the action, gameday audio is the best! I get to listen to the reaction over and over from Farmer and Singleton.

Care to recap their reaction? I imagine Farmer was pretty outspoken about the whole ordeal. Especially with AJ getting ejected.

chisoxmike
05-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Care to recap their reaction? I imagine Farmer was pretty outspoken about the whole ordeal. Especially with AJ getting ejected.

:farmer
"They're breaking this up right now...and Sox fans are going crazy. Sox lead 1-0 on sac fly."

koch44
05-20-2006, 08:25 PM

Hughes seemed pretty excited, and didn't really have an opinion. They basically just said there were going to be ejections after the incident. Santo went back to his old self when Iguchi hit the slam. He kept on saying "oh man," and moaning over and over, pretty hilarious.

Daver
05-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Hughes and Santo would probably be better than Farmer and Singleton.

I can't listen to Sox radio broadcasts anymore, it's just to painful.

chisoxfan64
05-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I heard Santo say it was a clean play by AJ, but he was out of line slapping the plate and staring down ferret. In other words he felt he kind of provoked it.

RadioheadRocks
05-20-2006, 08:34 PM
I heard Santo say it was a clean play by AJ, but he was out of line slapping the plate and staring down ferret. In other words he felt he kind of provoked it.

But how could Barrett have possibly seen that while he was flat on his back and (in Barrett's own words) before he regained consciousness???!!!???!!! :dunno:

chisoxfan64
05-20-2006, 08:42 PM
But how could Barrett have possibly seen that while he was flat on his back and (in Barrett's own words) before he regained consciousness???!!!???!!! :dunno:

You`ll have to ask Ron to explain himself.:santo I`m a hall of fame ball player, I know what I`m talking about here.

Uncle_Patrick
05-20-2006, 10:21 PM

He didn't see it. He said so in the post-game press conference.

FedEx227
05-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I was coming home from Milwaukee with a couple friends so we had Pat/Ronnie on mainly to laugh at Ronnies stupidity (I'll detail that later).

For their reaction though... it was definetly quite different from what happened, in their minds AJ plowed right through Barrett, then stood up to confront him.

Pat didn't have much of an opinion, Pat said he didn't condone it but that these type of things do energize teams and it might be something the Cubs would need. :?:

They were not as pro-Cub as I had expected it, but they definetly didn't stand out against what Barrett did, they stayed pretty Swiss during the whole thing.

_________
As for stupidity, Pat and Ronnie are discussing cooking. Pat asks Ron if hes a good cook, Ron sort of laughs says not really, discusses a few things he can cook which cultiminates in this amazing conversation

Ron: I can cook that one stuff... uh uh.... what is that stuff Pat... uh uh... its uh.... Pasta with the cheese...

Pat: Hmm... well... I'm not sure Ronnie.

Ron: Yeah its Pasta with the...uh cheese... uh... the kids like it...

Pat: Macaroni & Cheese?

Ron: YEAH! Thats it!

oeo
05-20-2006, 10:38 PM

It may be painful, but they sound great compared to Santo and Hughes.

1951Campbell
05-20-2006, 11:21 PM
How did Hughes/Santo react to fight?

Perhaps Santo said OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

/just guessing

:)

slavko
05-21-2006, 01:04 AM
HOF third baseman, HOF broadcaster, hairpiece slightly tilted to the left side of his head....he's an inspiration to us all.

J Co
05-21-2006, 02:07 AM
Farmer's call was actually pretty good. When Barrett hit AJ, Farmer yelled "HE HIT HIM RIGHT IN THE GRILL!!!!"

I was out with a couple friends tonight and that's now our new catchprase...

DrCrawdad
05-21-2006, 06:10 AM
If you want to know Santo's thoughts on the matter, now a day after the event, listen to his pre-game interview with Dusty.

MrRoboto83
05-21-2006, 06:27 AM

I think Singleton has come a long way and has improved a lot, but he also still has a long way to go. I would still much rather listen to Farmio and Singleton before Pat and Ron.

SOXSINCE'70
05-21-2006, 04:41 PM
I can't listen to Sox radio broadcasts anymore, it's just too painful.

Had to fix that for you,Daver.I also can't listen anymore.
Getting 4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted wasn't this painful!:rolleyes:

tebman
05-22-2006, 07:27 AM

Didn't hear it, but I think it went something like this:

http://www.richsamuels.com/nbcmm/wls/1941/images/laurel_and_hardy.jpg

Hughes: "...and here's the THROW...OH! SAFE -- and what's this? Michael Barrett is trying to talk to Pierzynski."
Santo: "Oh, boy."
Hughes: "And the Cub dugout has come out to join the conversation. Ron, what a great effort by the CHICAGO Cubs."
Santo: "...uh, Pat, it looks like Michael dropped something...ohhhh..."
Hughes: "That's right, Ron! And what a play by Barrett, holding on to his glove after he fell down!"
Santo: "Oh, boy..."

DrCrawdad
05-22-2006, 07:43 AM
On Sunday when Barrett came to the plate and the crowd booed, Santo said, "I don't know why they are booing Barrett, both Barrett and Pierzinski are at fault..."

Hitmen77
05-22-2006, 08:08 AM

I don't know if many people here remember this, but Ed Farmer was the victim of another infamous sucker-punch brawl in White Sox history. Anyone remember that jerk Al Cowans(?) sneaking up on Farmer after he grounded to short and then slugging Ed from behind in 1979? :o: Unbelievable!!! Most chicken **** fight I have ever seen in a ballgame.

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2006, 08:12 AM
On Sunday when Barrett came to the plate and the crowd booed, Santo said, "I don't know why they are booing Barrett, both Barrett and Pierzinski are at fault..."

Evidently, the glue Ronnie uses to mount the artificial surface on his head has seeped into his brain.

tebman
05-22-2006, 08:57 AM
I don't know if many people here remember this, but Ed Farmer was the victim of another infamous sucker-punch brawl in White Sox history. Anyone remember that jerk Al Cowans(?) sneaking up on Farmer after he grounded to short and then slugging Ed from behind in 1979? :o: Unbelievable!!! Most chicken **** fight I have ever seen in a ballgame.

Yes it was. Incredibly, I was at that game. I had organized a group outing for a bunch of people where I worked, many of whom had never been to a ballgame before and just thought it would be like going out to dinner. The responses ranged from, "Wow! What a night! Thanks for setting that up," to, "C'mon, let's go home! Now we're going to have to pay the sitter extra."

Cowens had hit a grounder to short. I was following the ball and watched Todd Cruz field it, then hesitate before throwing to first. Seemed weird, then I looked toward first and saw Cowens and Farmer rolling around the mound. It was bizarre. Of course, nobody knew what was going on until much later. Cowens had been nursing a grudge for a couple of years for getting injured by a pitch thrown by Farmer. That night he snapped. He jumped Farmer from behind after he had hit the ball.

Farmer and Cowens brought out the lineup cards at a later game and publicly shook hands. Happy ending to the whole thing, but it was a strange experience.

SOXPHILE
05-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Santo said that A.J. slapping the plate was unnecessary ? He may or may not be right, but who the hell is he to comment on this at all ? Isn't this the same guy who used to click his heels before a game, or after a win ? Pretty bush league, and it didn't exactly endear him to his opponents, or even some of his own teamates. He really should keep that fat mouth of his shut on the fight too, as he has no room to comment on that either. He, as an MLB player in his 20's, tried to get into a fight with his manager, a 70 something Leo Durocher. Do the world a favor, and shove that hairpiece of yours in your mouth, Santo.

dickallen15
05-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Santo said that A.J. slapping the plate was unnecessary ? He may or may not be right, but who the hell is he to comment on this at all ? Isn't this the same guy who used to click his heels before a game, or after a win ? Pretty bush league, and it didn't exactly endear him to his opponents, or even some of his own teamates. He really should keep that fat mouth of his shut on the fight too, as he has no room to comment on that either. He, as an MLB player in his 20's, tried to get into a fight with his manager, a 70 something Leo Durocher. Do the world a favor, and shove that hairpiece of yours in your mouth, Santo.

Santo wearing that ridiculous "piece" on his head is unnecessary.