PDA

View Full Version : Sox Planning Something For Big Frank

RKMeibalane
05-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Per Whitesox.com:

A toast to Thomas: Frank Thomas, who holds no fewer than 12 White Sox franchise records on offense, is sure to draw plenty of attention from the Chicago media and the plethora of fans in the stands when he returns to Chicago with Oakland for a three-game series on Monday night. But according to Scott Reifert, the White Sox vice president of communications, the team also will recognize Thomas' on-field contributions to the South Side franchise. A video montage of Thomas' highlights will be shown before the game, and another special tribute will be paid to Thomas later in the evening. The prolific slugger, who signed with the A's as a free agent and had a somewhat acrimonious offseason departure from the White Sox, received his World Series ring during Oakland's first series this season.

Chips
05-20-2006, 06:40 PM
That's good to hear. No animosity.

chisoxmike
05-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Nice.

NSSoxFan
05-20-2006, 06:41 PM
How are they going to honor him during the game?

Number retirement? No....

RKMeibalane
05-20-2006, 06:43 PM

Statue?

Daver
05-20-2006, 06:44 PM

No Sox player will ever wear 35 again.

IlliniSox4Life
05-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Good to hear. I was going to be dissapointed if nothing was done.

knocko94
05-20-2006, 06:49 PM
AWESOME! I love it.

A "special tribute later in the evening" sounds interesting. Maybe a new mural along the wall or retire his number.

TheDarkGundam
05-20-2006, 06:53 PM
What I want to know is, how many times are they gonna play Green Day's Time of Your Life on Monday?

chisoxmike
05-20-2006, 06:54 PM
What I want to know is, how many times are they gonna play Green Day's Time of Your Life on Monday?

Ugh. Please no.

NSSoxFan
05-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Obviously, it's just a matter of when it will get retired.

MRM
05-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Statue?

I'd be shocked if they unveiled a statue for a player who is still playing, but, as I recall, Baines number was retired before he came back to the Sox, yet again. So who knows?

I sincerely hope the fans give Frank a standing ovation and don't hold the KW thing from spring training against him.

Frank Thomas is EASILY the greatest Sox player ever and he deserves the respect and addulation that goes with that. I think Sox fans are classy enough to do the right thing, but ya never know.

All that said...It was time for Frank to move on. I hope he has a great year with Oakland and plays until HE decides it's time to stop.

Here's to you Big guy. Just take it easy on your old team, ok?

Chips
05-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Ugh. Please no.

No way is right.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I was looking forward to seeing Frank's return far more than this interleague nonsense - brawl or no brawl.

Glad to see the White Sox doing the classy thing from the start. Hopefully he will get his World Series ring on the field - too bad they could not unveil a statute or number retirement but I am sure both are coming in the near future.

COTC & Frank Thomas - YES!!!

SouthSide_HitMen
05-20-2006, 07:10 PM

The title of the song is Good Riddance. It is not appropriate and the song should be retired permanently along with Rock N Roll Part 2.

ondafarm
05-20-2006, 07:15 PM

I think they will wait until he retires to retire his number. Remember the Harold Baines fiasco.

StockdaleForVeep
05-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Doesnt frank get his world series ring on monday?

daveeym
05-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd be shocked if they unveiled a statue for a player who is still playing, but, as I recall, Baines number was retired before he came back to the Sox, yet again. So who knows?

I sincerely hope the fans give Frank a standing ovation and don't hold the KW thing from spring training against him.

Frank Thomas is EASILY the greatest Sox player ever and he deserves the respect and addulation that goes with that. I think Sox fans are classy enough to do the right thing, but ya never know.

All that said...It was time for Frank to move on. I hope he has a great year with Oakland and plays until HE decides it's time to stop.

Here's to you Big guy. Just take it easy on your old team, ok?The cheers will definitely outnumber the boos.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Roland Hemond went to visit the A's when they were in Seattle and gave him his ring in the A's locker room. I asked Roland how it went and he said Frank was very gracious about it. Roland said he and Frank (and his first wife) always got along unlike Frank and some other members of the organization.

Lip

Trav
05-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I think they will wait until he retires to retire his number. Remember the Harold Baines fiasco.

Was it a fiasco? Didn't they just let him wear it? End of fiasco?

Chips
05-20-2006, 08:08 PM
The cheers will definitely outnumber the boos.

I can't see too many people booing Frank.

I want Mags back
05-20-2006, 11:09 PM
AWESOME! I love it.

A "special tribute later in the evening" sounds interesting. Maybe a new mural along the wall or retire his number.

theyre not gonna retire his number until he retires. It will happen though

jortafan
05-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Was it a fiasco? Didn't they just let him wear it? End of fiasco?

Yes, it was a fiasco.

Having a retired number for a ballplayer who didn't "hang it up" for another decade made the White Sox look amateurish, ridiculous and second-rate. Frankly, it made them look like the Chicago Cubs.

anewman35
05-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Yes, it was a fiasco.

Having a retired number for a ballplayer who didn't "hang it up" for another decade made the White Sox look amateurish, ridiculous and second-rate. Frankly, it made them look like the Chicago Cubs.

A fiasco? Come on. I bet 99% of baseball fans have no idea that the White Sox retired Harold Baines number. "Fiasco" is a bit harsh.

And, bringing up the Cubs? Why?

Fuller_Schettman
05-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Yes, it was a fiasco.

Having a retired number for a ballplayer who didn't "hang it up" for another decade made the White Sox look amateurish, ridiculous and second-rate. Frankly, it made them look like the Chicago Bulls.

Fixed that for ya :redface:

Trav
05-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Yes, it was a fiasco.

I take it another way. The ultimate sign of respect a team can pay a player is to retire his number. There is only one way to one up that and the Sox did it. I think it is cool. It still bothers me that someone wore 13 after Ozzie and Ozzie wasn't near the player that Baines was.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-21-2006, 08:35 AM

Absolutely. Despite the offseason issues between him and KW, it is well deserved. Retire 35 and show what the next statue(after Fox and Aparacio) will look like.

soxinem1
05-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Absolutely. Despite the offseason issues between him and KW, it is well deserved. Retire 35 and show what the next statue(after Fox and Aparacio) will look like.

If they do retire #35, I just hope they handle it better than they did with Baines...

Dancin' Homer
05-21-2006, 09:20 AM
I can't see too many people booing Frank.

God, I hope not. You just know that there will be some drunken bandwagon jumpers that only know about Frank from spring and from rooting against him in the Friendly Confines that just can't wait to boo.

Frontman
05-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Frank should NOT get booed. If Sox fans do that, we're no better than those Indian fans who booed Thome. I might of not liked Frank as a person, but his incredible performance for so many years as a Chicago White Sox shouldn't be overlooked.

From what I understand, Frank already got his ring. They've been having someone from the Sox fly out the ring and give it to the players in person, and I believe Frank already received his. Now, they might have a ceremony, but that might be for us fans more than for Frank.

We'll have to see what happens. But isn't Frank on the DL right now? If he is, will he still make the trip?

Front

anewman35
05-21-2006, 10:16 AM
. But isn't Frank on the DL right now? If he is, will he still make the trip?

No. He was hurt for a few days, but they didn't DL him. He played yesterday.

Frontman
05-21-2006, 12:22 PM
No. He was hurt for a few days, but they didn't DL him. He played yesterday.

That's good news. I hate seeing anyone on the DL. Well, unless the last name is Bonds......

RKMeibalane
05-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Frank should NOT get booed. If Sox fans do that, we're no better than those Indian fans who booed Thome. I might of not liked Frank as a person, but his incredible performance for so many years as a Chicago White Sox shouldn't be overlooked.

From what I understand, Frank already got his ring. They've been having someone from the Sox fly out the ring and give it to the players in person, and I believe Frank already received his. Now, they might have a ceremony, but that might be for us fans more than for Frank.

We'll have to see what happens. But isn't Frank on the DL right now? If he is, will he still make the trip?

Front

He missed three games because of a pulled quadriceps. Other than that, he's been playing everyday.

Lip Man 1
05-21-2006, 01:12 PM
I read Eric Chavez's comments about Bonds coming to the A's next year and was surprised that he'd so openly talk about it considering Thomas is currently on the club. Maybe he knows something that Frank doesn't.

Lip

santo=dorf
05-21-2006, 01:32 PM
I read Eric Chavez's comments about Bonds coming to the A's next year and was surprised that he'd so openly talk about it considering Thomas is currently on the club. Maybe he knows something that Frank doesn't.

Lip
Or how about Chavez knows something that Frank won't admit?
I totally see the A's going after Bonds next year to be their DH.

mike squires
05-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Anyone notice the yellow advertisement on the fence in left field? Has it been there all year? I was thinking maybe it could be covering up something, perhaps a pic of Frank?

gobears1987
05-21-2006, 01:44 PM
That yellow Comcast ad has been there for a while. It was there in the ALDS. Pods caught the game ending catch in game 1 against the Bo Sox by jumping over the wall right by that ad.

soxfanreggie
05-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Could be like Baines number where he leaves the Sox, they retire it, he comes back, they unretire it and so forth. I'd like to see Big Frank end his career in a Sox uniform. I wonder what he's doing these days...there's an imposter that looks like him on the A's...hmmmmm...:rolleyes:

ode to veeck
05-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Or how about Chavez knows something that Frank won't admit?
I totally see the A's going after Bonds next year to be their DH.

A couple of things, one Bonds is a big favorite in the Bay Area, two he can sorta still play the field, third the A's have a long history of overstocking on older big hitters, e.g. Parker, Baylor, Hendo, Reggie, Kingman etc even when newbies like Canseco/McGwire & others coming up / on board

Palehose13
05-21-2006, 03:45 PM

Front

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/exe_mugs/hemond.jpg

"Someone? I thought I was more than just someone to this organization."

Frontman
05-21-2006, 05:21 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/exe_mugs/hemond.jpg

"Someone? I thought I was more than just someone to this organization."

Awww, quit pickin' on me. So I couldn't remember the full story. ;)

Front

Bobbo35
05-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Well deserved. Fans better not boo. If I hear someone booing they will hear it from me.

rookiewhitesox
05-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm glad the white sox are doing this. All is well:D:

mrkslntbob
05-21-2006, 10:52 PM

Not as many as Foo Fighters - My hero, or is that reserved for Fisk?

I will be there to cheer Frank, although I'd like to see the Sox beat the A's for once.