PDA

View Full Version : DJ on Fox

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 04:13 PM
DJ did a great job (once again) today as the color analyst on Fox. He always does an excellent job when he's partnered with someone other than Hawk. He also has improved greatly along side Hawk as well.

A team of Willsy and DJ doing the Sox games on TV at some time in the future would be great.

spawn
05-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I agree completely. Whenever he does color commentary on Fox he's completely different. I actually enjoy listening to him.

QCIASOXFAN
05-20-2006, 04:18 PM
DJ did a great job (once again) today as the color analyst on Fox. He always does an excellent job when he's partnered with someone other than Hawk. He also has improved greatly along side Hawk as well.

A team of Willsy and DJ doing the Sox games on TV at some time in the future would be great. I totally agree that D.J. was very good today. I was wondering why he was on fox though, was he filling in for somebody last minute or what?

NardiWasHere
05-20-2006, 04:20 PM
He's still not that good. I mean, I don't think he said anything with any significant amount of insight. He was listenable...... granted, he has improved, especially on the national broadcasts, but does this sound like a broadcaster who has been announcing games for SEVEN years?

IlliniSox4Life
05-20-2006, 04:20 PM
It was rather refreshing to hear him instead of some FOX putz. Made me watch the game with mute turned off.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Whenever he does color commentary on Fox he's completely different. I actually enjoy listening to him.
DJ has always been better inside the Fox booth than the Sox booth and it's pretty obvious the reason is he isn't having to kowtow to Hawk Harrelson. The measure of how good a broadcaster is is how much better he makes those around him sound. Hawk makes everyone around him sound worse.

For further examples, compare the terrible Sox radio broadcasting of Ed Farmer this year, compared to last year with John Rooney. He's the same irritating, self-absorbed jackass he ever was, except this year Rooney isn't around to smooth him out anymore.

:farmer
"Third inning... have I mentioned my golf game yet?"

spawn
05-20-2006, 04:26 PM
I've never understood why people actually like Farmer in the booth. I thought he was so-so as a color man, and that Rooney carried him. I think he's been exposed with his play-by-play work this year.

TheKittle
05-20-2006, 04:29 PM
I totally agree that D.J. was very good today. I was wondering why he was on fox though, was he filling in for somebody last minute or what?

Yes Fox hired Lou Pinella and he was suppose to do the game but got an eye infection and DJ was Pinella's replacement.

tick53
05-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Hawk's the boss in the booth and DJ knows it. I think he's a little less inhibited when he's on Fox, but DJ is far from being a great broadcaster. He
doesn't really analyze that well.

Daver
05-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Watching a White Sox game without having to listen to Ken Harrellson was a sheer pleasure.

NardiWasHere
05-20-2006, 04:46 PM
How much better is DJ after seven years than guys like an Al Leiter or a Sweet Lou?

Not much if any.

And why is it Hawk's responsibility if DJ doesn't bring much to the table on an everyday basis? DJ does better on the national games because it calls for much more general statements. How would it sound during a wednesday night game in Kansas City on WCIU if DJ would say some of the vague and obvious things that is called for on a national broadcast? "Iguchi was a great pickup last year for Kenny Williams" "Thome is a dangerous hitter" "Freddy is not the power pitcher he used to be" etc....

BadBobbyJenks
05-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Watching a White Sox game without having to listen to Ken Harrellson was a sheer pleasure.

really, there is nothing better to me than sitting back strapping it down and listening to that man talk for 3 hours. Are there really sox fans out there that dont like Hawk?

sullythered
05-20-2006, 05:06 PM
How much better is DJ after seven years than guys like an Al Leiter or a Sweet Lou?

I disagree. I think DJ is OK in the booth, where as Pinella is very difficult (for me) to listen to. I think it's his horrible voice that gets me.

TornLabrum
05-20-2006, 06:11 PM

A team of Willsy and DJ doing the Sox games on TV at some time in the future would be great.

I don't care where they put him as long as good ol' Bump34 leaves St. Pete and moves back to Chicago where he belongs.

TornLabrum
05-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Hawk's the boss in the booth and DJ knows it. I think he's a little less inhibited when he's on Fox, but DJ is far from being a great broadcaster. He
doesn't really analyze that well.

When DJ is on Fox, where the standard of comparison is Tim "Mr. Obvious" McCarver, he sounds absolutely brilliant!

Steelrod
05-20-2006, 06:28 PM
really, there is nothing better to me than sitting back strapping it down and listening to that man talk for 3 hours. Are there really sox fans out there that dont like Hawk?
The line starts right here.

SoxFan76
05-20-2006, 07:00 PM

Believe it or not, there are a lot of Sox fans who don't like Hawk. Why...I'll never know. The energy he brings to a broadcast is amazing. He's truly a fan.

DJ sounded great today. He just needs to correct that other guy when he says "Taguchi". I think DJ is intimidated by Hawk, therefore hurting his announcing skills.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-20-2006, 07:08 PM
I think DJ is intimidated by Hawk, therefore hurting his announcing skills.

But DJ isn't intimidated at Fox. In fact he does a damned good color at Fox, far better than the one he does for the Sox. The problem isn't DJ; DJ's good. The problem is Hawk. He makes everyone around him sound worse.

I've actually spent a lot more time listening to Hawk's call this year than last year, but that's because Rooney is gone and I simply can't stand Farmer. However it became painfully obvious watching today's Fox telecast just how much Hawk is bringing down the Sox telecasts. He's not as bad as Farmer on the radio, but that isn't saying much.

If I wanted to listen to fake homespun banter, I would tune in reruns of Hee Haw. Hawk's shtick doesn't cut it for me.

nasox
05-20-2006, 08:52 PM
DJ was good today, but I thought overall the broadcast was boring. Given the excitement of the Crosstown Classic and the brawls, I thought the guys in the booth didn't do the best job they could have. Just seemed a little empty.

Foulke You
05-20-2006, 09:31 PM
DJ was good today, but I thought overall the broadcast was boring. Given the excitement of the Crosstown Classic and the brawls, I thought the guys in the booth didn't do the best job they could have. Just seemed a little empty.
The big problem with the broadcast today was Thom "Vanilla Boy" Brenneman. I hate when he calls Sox games because he is essentially a well spoken version of Mike Murphy and his style is very bland. Like Murphy, he always needs to tie Sox broadcasts to the Cubs and their "long suffering fans" even sometimes when the game doesn't involve the Cubs. He went on and on about how Thome grew up as a diehard Cubs fan and must have mentioned at least 12 times during the broadcast how devestating it was for the Cubs to lose Derek Lee. When the Cubs were threatening to score with the game at 7-0, Brenneman droned on about all the amazing comebacks in baseball and that perhaps the Cubs could pull this off today. Not to mention the constant butchering of Tadahito Iguchi's name. They always assign at least one Cub lover announcer to the broadcast for the Sox. Usually it is Josh Lewin but today we got stuck with Brennemen who is even worse.

TaylorStSox
05-20-2006, 09:38 PM
The big problem with the broadcast today was Thom "Vanilla Boy" Brenneman. I hate when he calls Sox games because he is essentially a well spoken version of Mike Murphy and his style is very bland. Like Murphy, he always needs to tie Sox broadcasts to the Cubs and their "long suffering fans" even sometimes when the game doesn't involve the Cubs. He went on and on about how Thome grew up as a diehard Cubs fan and must have mentioned at least 12 times during the broadcast how devestating it was for the Cubs to lose Derek Lee. When the Cubs were threatening to score with the game at 7-0, Brenneman droned on about all the amazing comebacks in baseball and that perhaps the Cubs could pull this off today. Not to mention the constant butchering of Tadahito Iguchi's name. They always assign at least one Cub lover announcer to the broadcast for the Sox. Usually it is Josh Lewin but today we got stuck with Brennemen who is even worse.

Everyone knows that I think Hawk needs to retire and that I like DJ.

On to Brenneman. He decent IMO. He's got a good voice and a smooth delivery. As far as the Cubs talk goes, you can't have it both ways. It seems that alot of people feel that the Cubs should be ignored. It's ironic because some of those same people spend alot of their time and energy talking about the Cubs. If you want them to be irrelevant, stop bringing them up. Trust me. You can live in this city and ignore the ballclub on the northside. It might be easier for me because I've spent a life time ignoring the Bears. :redneck

hawkjt
05-20-2006, 09:40 PM
personally , altho DJ did a good job , I thought he bent over backward to be almost against the sox in two instances;

1.. He was very soft on Barrett in the incident. He made it sound like AJ may have instigated it and barrett was justified.

2. When Frank came up- he compared him to sosa in regards to his exit from the cubs and then he basically said frank said dumb stuff. he also said he was a friend of franks but he never opined that Frank is liked by the fans and that his greeting will be nothing like what sosa would get at wrigley. he just kind of let it hang there that frank left on bad terms and when brennaman asked if there was still bad blood- DJ left a lot of doubt. DJ had to know the sox are planning on honoring frank on monday nite so he could have jumped in and quelled all the negativity toward frank but he did not.

I was very surprised with how he hung Dusty out to dry by saying that the cubs were not hustling on the basepaths and saying it was the mgrs job to not let that happen.

Then when they showed the top 5 active homer hitters brennaman says it is nice that other than bonds , that frank,griffey and thome never have been associated with steroids. The fifth guy pictured- sheffield was ignored!!

I thought that was an obvious concession that sheffeild also has been rumored to be involved and when you think about it 2 of the top 5 active homer guys have been associated with steroids and that is not a great percentage.

DJ was pretty good overall tho.

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2006, 10:59 PM
How can you not enjoy the energy Hawk brings to each and every game. This is our team and I love how so obviously pro sox he is which a lot of teams broadcasters avoid. It will be a sad day for me when the hawk retires.

Plus hawkisms make for a great drinking game.....

Bobbo35
05-22-2006, 07:22 AM

Are you serious? I think Hawk is great for Sox fans. A man who breathes White Sox baseball.

bayzbol44
05-22-2006, 07:29 AM

Yes. I HATE him. He is a bad broadcaster. He gets on my nerves when he talks to the players and to the damn baseball (streeetch). I just can't believe how much better DJ is without him. Coincidence? I don't think so. I think it is Hawk that holds him back. He never wants anyone to sound more intelligent than him.

rdwj
05-22-2006, 07:40 AM
The line starts right here.

It's a short line. It's a vocal line - but still short.

McCuddy
05-22-2006, 08:27 AM
. He went on and on about how Thome grew up as a diehard Cubs fan and must have mentioned at least 12 times during the broadcast how devestating it was for the Cubs to lose Derek Lee.

Yeah, but Saturday's game was as much a Cub broadcast as a Sox broadcast, as far as the national audience is concerned.

HITMEN OF 77
05-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, but Saturday's game was as much a Cub broadcast as a Sox broadcast, as far as the national audience is concerned.

I thiink the broadcast was only in the Midwest? We got the LAA vs LAD game broadcast here. And don'tforget Brennaman was a Cub guy on WGN years back.

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't care where they put him as long as good ol' Bump34 leaves St. Pete and moves back to Chicago where he belongs.

How about my pipedream broadcast team of Pat Foley and Dave Wills?

AZChiSoxFan
05-22-2006, 03:19 PM

Have to disagree with you on Brennaman. Living in Phoenix, where I watch/listen to him all the time, It's my opinion that the guy hates the cubs. I've heard him take shots at the cubs numerous times while doing D-back games. Maybe on Sat he was just trying to "be fair" to the cub audience that was tuning in. If I'm watching a D-backs game, and the cubs have been blown out earlier that night, you can just about take it to the bank that at some point in the broadcast, Thom will say something to the effect of "boy, the cubs got blown out again tonight." I always figured his disdain for the franchise had something to do with the manner in which he parted ways with them.

AZChiSoxFan
05-22-2006, 03:21 PM
I thiink the broadcast was only in the Midwest? We got the LAA vs LAD game broadcast here. And don'tforget Brennaman was a Cub guy on WGN years back.

The Sox game on Saturday was on Fox here in Phoenix.

thomas35forever
05-22-2006, 05:20 PM
It was nice to have a hometown feel during Saturday's game.

EndemicSox
05-23-2006, 01:50 AM
The one thing I notice when visiting other MLB message boards is the hatred towards Harrelson. I don't think anybody other than Sox fans think he is a decent announcer.