PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Cubs Suckerpunch, Sox SMACKDOWN 5/20 Postgame Thread

Unregistered
05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Freddy cruises to #7, Iguchi does his best Carlos Lee impression, hitting 2 HR and driving in 6. A thing of beauty today.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57208726jd010_chicago_cubs_.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57208726jd007_chicago_cubs_.jpghttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57208726jd005_chicago_cubs_.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57208726jd006_chicago_cubs_.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060520/capt.04c95fa0efc64f0c85cb0e46213419c4.cubs_white_s ox_baseball_cxs109.jpghttp://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060520/i/r1618524127.jpg

I think in round 2 we should let all the players fight with their World Series rings on. What's that Cubs? Oh yeah, that's right - you don't have World Series rings.:cool:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57208726jd014_chicago_cubs_.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57208726jd017_chicago_cubs_.jpg

:iguchi:
"Suck it, Cubs. That's how we fight back."

IlliniSox4Life
05-20-2006, 04:03 PM
We haven't won yet - this seems a little premature.

EDIT: There you go.

Chips
05-20-2006, 04:05 PM
:winner

Way to kick ass, looking forward to Contreras coming back.

ThatGuyOnTheL
05-20-2006, 04:06 PM
DOMINATION. Pure and simple.

Jurr
Boy..that one did a lot to fire up the Cubs. This will go down as their World Series turnaround moment.

rocky biddle
Nice work Champs!!! A complete ass whooping.

BTW- I just watched the fight replay in slo-mo on Tivo and BA got a nice head shot in on Barrett on the way down. I see a suspension in young Brian's future.

chisoxmike
05-20-2006, 04:07 PM
BEATDOWN!

I love it! GO SOX!!!!

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

SoxSpeed22
Absolute ass kicking on all ends. Great hitting by Iguchi, great pitching by Garcia. Pods, Brian and Ozzie also get kudos from me because of how they handled the attack. And DJ was really on today.

One question: when Jones struck out and the ball got away, I was screaming, 'throw to first you idiots!' what was up with that play?

California Sox
Time to get greedy. Zambrano's been tough against us, but if we can score three against this lineup we ought to be in good shape.

rpac44
05-20-2006, 04:08 PM
thornton has looked great his last 3 appearances, a good sign for our bullpen going forward

LuvSox
The Good Guys prevail again in the face of evil.

Cubs showed their true colors today, classless ****s.

MrRoboto83
Dennis the Menance in full effect today.

California Sox
One question: when Jones struck out and the ball got away, I was screaming, 'throw to first you idiots!' what was up with that play?

No dropped third strike with runner on first.

rpac44
05-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Absolute ass kicking on all ends. Great hitting by Iguchi, great pitching by Garcia. Pods, Brian and Ozzie also get kudos from me because of how they handled the attack. And DJ was really on today.

One question: when Jones struck out and the ball got away, I was screaming, 'throw to first you idiots!' what was up with that play?i think there was a runner (Neifi?) on first so he couldnt advance

EDIT: California Sox beat me to it

SoxSpeed22
No dropped third strike with runner on first.Thanks.

Jjav829
What a game! :bandance:

Brian Anderson was a madman in that fight. I loved the shot of him near the dugout as he was all red and the umps were trying to calm him down. BA just went off.

Barrett is a punk. Even Dusty admitted that AJ's play was clean. Barrett must be getting tired of playing for a loser.

Chips
05-20-2006, 04:10 PM

Brian Anderson was a madman in that fight. I loved the shot of him near the dugout as he was all red and the umps were trying to calm him down. BA just went off.

Barrett is a punk. Even Dusty admitted that AJ's play was clean. Barrett must be getting tired of playing for a loser.

I'm looking forward to hearing the comments from all the players involved.

CHISOXFAN13
05-20-2006, 04:10 PM
We haven't won yet - this seems a little premature.

EDIT: There you go.

This one was over before it started! :)

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2006, 04:11 PM
TA-DA-HI-TO!!!!!

Ya gotta love the fire of Pierzynski, the finesse of Iguchi, the pitching dominance of Garcia, and the managing of Ozzie, as well as the rest of this team!

Sox Domination over the Cubbies once again!!!

Move over, blue and red...This town is ALL BLACK AND WHITE!!! :D:

LuvSox
05-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Barrett must be getting tired of playing for a loser.

Or tired of being a loser.

Hitmen77
05-20-2006, 04:12 PM

Barrett is a punk. Even Dusty admitted that AJ's play was clean. Barrett must be getting tired of playing for and being a loser.

fixed it for you.

Hitmen77
05-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Or tired of being a loser.

beat me to it. :wink:

white sox bill
05-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Mu cub fans are already calling me--saying they heard on MLB board that AJ has a broken jaw, out 6-8 wks--yea right!

elrod
For the first time in my life, I can't wait to read what Jay Marriotti has to say.

CubsfansareDRUNK
TA-DA-HI-TO!!!!!

Ya gotta love the fire of Pierzynski, the finesse of Iguchi, the pitching dominance of Garcia, and the managing of Ozzie, as well as the rest of this team!

Sox Domination over the Cubbies once again!!!

Move over, blue and red...This town has been ALL BLACK AND WHITE!!! :D:

fixed that for you :wink:

IlliniSox4Life
05-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Mu cub fans are already calling me--saying they heard on MLB board that AJ has a broken jaw, out 6-8 wks--yea right!

AJ was slapping his jaw in the dugout - I seriously doubt he broke his jaw.

Chips
For the first time in my life, I can't wait to read what Jay Marriotti has to say.

I can't wait to read whatever crap he writes tomorrow.

NDSox12
Nothing beats a nice Saturday afternoon smackdown of the Cubs.

jdm2662
05-20-2006, 04:17 PM
I can't wait to read whatever crap he writes tomorrow.

I can. :redneck

McCuddy
05-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Just finally got to see the play - heard the game on radio. I expect nothing less than a suspension for Barrett.

russ99
05-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Heehee!

On MLB.COM, there's none of that "AJ started it" cubbie grandstanding..

"Pierzynski then slapped the plate as he got up. Barrett also got up, grabbed Pierzynski and delivered a right punch to his face. Both went down, grappling, as both benches emptied."

Written by CUBS reporter, Carrie Muskat.

mike squires
05-20-2006, 04:21 PM
What was there explanation for throwing out AJ? Intimdation? You are not allowed to show any emotion on the field anymore? I can see Brian Anderson kicking the heave but if he's gone why not Scotty for taking down Barrett. I'd hate to be an ump during that fiasco but AJ shouldn't have been tossed, IMO. Oh well, good game and this should help with unity with an already tight bunch!

Jjav829
05-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Don't look now, but Freddy is tied for the ML lead with 7 wins and has a sub-4 ERA. :smile:

russ99
05-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Dusty's postgame:

"I didn't see any punches thrown.." what a clown. The best thing is that the Cubs don't fire him, which will ensure their further suckitude.

Taliesinrk
05-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Hell of a game.. great response by Tad and the Sox..

it should be noted that the coolest part of the game is having an essential rookie in BA stepping up and standing up for his team.. that was AWESOME!!! don't think for a second that the rest of the players won't take notice and respect him a lot more for it..

also, sucks to be Barrett.. his own manager won't even stick up for him

cheeses_h_rice
05-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Just got back from running and luckily Tivo'd the game.

Michael Barrett is the biggest red-assed baby bitch of a player I've seen in quite some time. He immediately grabbed and sucker-punched AJ after AJ slapped home plate and got up to get his helmet. What an *******.

God I love this team.

GO SOX.

Lip Man 1
****- them and the horse they road in on...every single one of those prima donna pricks.

Barrett shot his mouth off over the winter and spring about how it was the 'Cubs time'....right. At the rate those puds are going Barrett will be traded to Pittsburgh or someplace when they clean house.

This was about as good a fight as I've seen since the Tigers-Sox one from 2000. Although for sheer mayhem you can't beat the Yankees- Sox 'basebrawl' from this date:

June 13, 1957-The Sox and Yankees hook up in perhaps the greatest "basebrawl" in history. In the 1st inning New York’s Art Ditmar threw a pitch at the head of the Sox Larry Doby. As the pitch rolled to the wall, Ditmar ran to cover home. Doby warned Ditmar about the pitch, then threw a left hook. The fight appeared to have racial overtones and lasted a full thirty minutes. Chicago native (and current White Sox public relations employee) "Moose" Skowron jumped on Doby which brought Walt Dropo into the fray. Dropo was at least 6-6 and a monster for his time. At various times, Whitey Ford,Casey Stengel, "Jungle" Jim Rivera and Enos "Country" Slaughter were in the middle of it. Slaughter’s jersey was ripped to pieces and his hat knocked to the side of his head in one of the most famous photographs of the 1950's. After things settled down Billy Martin rushed into things and started in on Doby. Four players were ejected and fined for the melee.

Lip

TornLabrum
Heehee!

"Pierzynski then slapped the plate as he got up. Barrett also got up, grabbed Pierzynski and delivered a right punch to his face. Both went down, grappling, as both benches emptied."

Hmmm...they missed the shoulder that AJ threw into Barrett just before the punch was thrown.

Jjav829
05-20-2006, 04:27 PM
So, let's recap. From Barrett's own mouth, he:

- Thought AJ had every right to hit him
- Didn't see AJ hit the plate
- Didn't hear AJ say anything

So he punched AJ simply because AJ got up and went to get his helmet. :?:

elrod
05-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I hated the Cubs before yesterday. Then I pitied the Cubs after yesterday's game. Now I hate the Cubs again. All is normal.

NDSox12
05-20-2006, 04:28 PM
So, let's recap. From Barrett's own mouth, he:

- Thought AJ had every right to hit him
- Didn't see AJ hit the plate
- Didn't hear AJ say anything

So he punched AJ simply because AJ got up and went to get his helmet. :?:

Woah... did he seriously say those three things? That's hilarious.

BarbG
05-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Hmmm...they missed the shoulder that AJ threw into Barrett just before the punch was thrown.
If that moron was grabbing at me I'd have shouldered him back too.

TheKittle
05-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Damn Pods is pretty strong. He tackled that ****er Moronett after AJ walked away.

South Side
05-20-2006, 04:36 PM

He shouldered him because Barett walked into him to grab him.

Chisox003
05-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Wait wait wait, JOEY CORA got booted?!?

Was little 28 throwing punches too?!

:rolling:

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 04:40 PM

A.J didn't throw his shoulder into Barret. AJ moved his waist away from Barrett trying to get around him while Barrett was grabbing him with one arm while getting set to sucker punch him with the other.

A.J did nothing wrong. There is no excuse whatsoever for punching a player in the face after a clean play like that. Barrett should be suspended for at least twenty games for his unprovoked thuggery.

I never liked Barrett anyway. He has a history of starting ****. For a long time now, my nicname for him has been "Pukey Luke". Don't know why, but the name just popped into my mind everytime I see the guy --the name just seems to fit him.

Even Dusty Baker admits A.J. did nothing wrong.

MrX
05-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Barrett's explanation is he was talking towards me

wsoxfan
05-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Well after the game today I really like Brian Anderson. Wasn't his biggest fan but the way he went in there swinging and standing up for his teammate really impressed me. If he starts hitting he's got the making of a cult hero...:smile: And Michael Barrett is the biggest pile of **** I've ever seen. This guy is just a complete piece of crap, he probably wanted to get suspended so he doesn't have to play for his piece of crap team for a few games. :angry:

TornLabrum
05-20-2006, 04:45 PM
If that moron was grabbing at me I'd have shouldered him back too.

Ditto here. I'm surprised, though that so little was made of that, especially after the **** written about AJ last year. You'd think the media would be looking for some angle to blame him for this.

TornLabrum
05-20-2006, 04:45 PM
He shouldered him because Barett walked into him to grab him.

See post above.

longshot7
05-20-2006, 04:47 PM
LOL at AJ. He wants to settle the score on Pay-Per-View in a steel cage.

elrod
05-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Is the post-game conference on anywhere?

MrX
05-20-2006, 04:48 PM
According to Rich Hill, what AJ did is not how you play the game :rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::roll ing:

NDSox12
05-20-2006, 04:49 PM

The Score has the press conference with A.J. and Brian on right now.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Channel 32 interviewed A.J. and Barrett. He wasn't shouldering Barrett. He was trying to reach his helmet; Barrett was in his path. Of course Barrett claims he felt A.J. was getting in his face. I'm sure the sucker punch is thus justified. Enjoy your time off, *******.

I'm not the only one who said it before yesterday's game, but the White Sox have nothing to gain scheduling these punks. Today's game confirms it.

What a bunch of turds and farts that ballclub has become.

DickAllen72
A.J. just confirmed that he was trying to walk around Barrett to pick up his helmet when Barrett grabbed him. A.J. thought Barrett was going to ask him if he's alright, and A.J. was going to ask the same, when Barrett sucker punched him.

No shoulder was thrown.

longshot7

the radio and espnews.

champagne030
05-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Rich Hill = dumbass. I understand sticking up for your guy, but to say AJ was wrong for running over the Punk is stupid. Punk already said it was a clean play. What rock did Coomer crawl out from under?

SOXfnNlansing
05-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Freddie 7 wins!!!!! 13 more to go to 20:bandance: (you read it here 1st)

chidonez
05-20-2006, 04:55 PM

AJ says he was trying to get around Barrett to get his helmet, which was behind the Cub. In the replay, you can see him angle his shoulder away, as if he is in fact just trying to get around.

oeo
05-20-2006, 04:55 PM
According to Rich Hill, what AJ did is not how you play the game :rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::roll ing:
:?:

He's supposed to just stand there and get tagged out?

Barret knew what he was doing, and he knew AJ was going to run over him. He put his arms out to defend himself, next time get out of the way when you don't even have a play, dumbass. It's not like AJ blindsided him. I think Rich Hill needs to learn baseball and then learn how to pitch.

chidonez
05-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Apparently Barrett something like, "I didn't have the ball, b**ch" before punching AJ. But hey, that's baseball. You play to win.

champagne030
05-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Rich Hill = dumbass. I understand sticking up for your guy, but to say AJ was wrong for running over the Punk is stupid. Punk already said it was a clean play. What rock did Coomer crawl out from under?

And now fatboy Coomer is saying Tori=AJ. Big difference.....AJ didn't raise his elbow and the play was behind him, not coming from RF.

getonbckthr
05-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I haven't read this through yet so If I repeat something someone said sorry.
Lets sum this up:
AJ- gave me what i've wanted for years a Chicago player induce a collision.
44- Awesome
Pods- way to stick up for your team
Iguchi- way to really make em pay.
Barrett- You little Bitch! don't you know when the #12 train is comin get off the tracks son.

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Apparently Barrett something like, "I didn't have the ball, b**ch" before punching AJ.

Then get out of the way, Pukey Luke.

MeteorsSox4367
05-20-2006, 05:02 PM
On TV, Thom Brenneman implied (at least I thought) that because Pierzynski has a reputation, that somehow he did something wrong. He then asked DJ his thoughts and DJ (I love it when you analyze) defended Pierzynski.

On the postgame, Kevin Kennedy questioned whene Pierzynski was going after he got up, mentioning that he went away from his dugout. Did it dawn on Kennedy that Pierzynski's helmet was behind Barrett?

It's people trying to start crap because of Pierzynski's rep. As for Anderson, really liked him before, like him even moreso now.

Great play by AJ. Clean play. Those who think otherwise can kiss the Sox' ass.

Sweep 'em tomorrow.

getonbckthr
05-20-2006, 05:03 PM
1 more thing to add really impressed with Pods take down. I especially like how he got low, kept the feet choppin, followed by a nice pancake, offensive line backround?

Chisox003
05-20-2006, 05:06 PM
On TV, Thom Brenneman implied (at least I thought) that because Pierzynski has a reputation, that somehow he did something wrong. He then asked DJ his thoughts and DJ (I love it when you analyze) defended Pierzynski.
I said it in the gameday thread, DJ did a great job of representing/defending us today. T-H-om tried stirring **** up by bringing the whole Thomas/KW "feud" into it, and DJ just swatted it away.

Good work by him today for sure. He was also sporting his WS Ring :gulp:

TheKittle
1 more thing to add really impressed with Pods take down. I especially like how he got low, kept the feet choppin, followed by a nice pancake, offensive line backround?

More like a WR blocking in a wishebone or veer offense. But that was impressive how strong Pods is. But then again Moronett is a ****ing wuss.

vegyrex
The Cubs give the Sox a sucker punch :angry:

Iguchi gives the Cubs a SMACHDOWN!! :bandance:

veeter
05-20-2006, 05:08 PM
You learn a lot about guys during a brawl. Pods and Anderson, I'd go to war with ya.

Cellview22
05-20-2006, 05:09 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH!! :bandance::bandance:

Great game today! Must be humiliating being a Cubs fan.. all they can do is make excuses. According to Corey McPherrin, "AJ was the agitator and let's face it, AJ was looking for trouble". :rolleyes: Couldn't believe he was saying that.

spawn
05-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Heehee!

Funny, but AJ didn't go down. AJ was in the background wondering why he just got suckerpunched. Pods is the one who took down Barrett. CUBS reporters are just as bad as the players.

areilly
05-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Two questions:

1) What was the scene like in the stands? These games are usually a pretty rough crowd (BOTH teams' fans at BOTH parks) and with something like this happening on the field I'd be shocked if nothing ignited in the seats.

2) Does anyone see anything happening again down the line with this? Zambrano pitching tomorrow drilling AJ? Barrett getting nailed when the good guys head to Wrigley?

Either way, that was one of the best innings I've ever seen. The Cubs get beat and get a beating in the space of 7 batters. Awesome. Go Sox.

And to hell with that other so-called team.

rwcescato
05-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Time to get greedy. Zambrano's been tough against us, but if we can score three against this lineup we ought to be in good shape.

I say its time to get into Zambranos head. AJ should step into his 1st pitch.
He will lose it in a minute.
Rich:angry:

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 05:19 PM

Ha Ha! I like the way you think!

I wouldn't put it past A.J. either. :wink:

Trav
05-20-2006, 05:20 PM
I don't think BA will be wearing UF uniforms anymore...

LuvSox
05-20-2006, 05:20 PM

Remember Timo last year? He got Zambrano fired up!

SweetnesSox
05-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't think BA will be wearing UF uniforms anymore...

of course he will, lol. he's still a rook. even rookies that hit .300 with 30 homers still get hazed.

getonbckthr
05-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Not only will you get in his head but for sure warrant a warning because of today thus taking the inside away from Zambrano.

Mohoney
05-20-2006, 05:28 PM
What rock did Coomer crawl out from under?

I don't know, but said rock must have been well-stocked with Twinkies and beef sandwiches.

Trav
05-20-2006, 05:28 PM
of course he will, lol. he's still a rook. even rookies that hit .300 with 30 homers still get hazed.

The reason he was wearing Florida stuff is because AJ is a HUGE UF fan. I am sure Anderson will continue to get hazed but I think this has earned him a free pass from anything coming from AJ.

daveeym
05-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Hmmm...they missed the shoulder that AJ threw into Barrett just before the punch was thrown.When you look at all the replays he really didn't throw a shoulder. He leaned in a bit, AFTER Barrett grabbed him. I at first thought he threw the shoulder too but when you look at all the replays he was clearly off balance and trying to sidestep Barrett. I consider it a basketball move, the leaning of the shoulder was due to gravity dragging him toward barrett and it was given to steady his balance and give barrett less of a blow.

daveeym
05-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Wait wait wait, JOEY CORA got booted?!?

Was little 28 throwing punches too?!

:rolling:I thought i saw him come sprinting in there at one point. He jumped on the pile or pods and barrett I think. He's so damn small though it was hard to tell.

daveeym
05-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Rich Hill = dumbass. I understand sticking up for your guy, but to say AJ was wrong for running over the Punk is stupid. Punk already said it was a clean play. What rock did Coomer crawl out from under? Coomer was horrible, he looked like he left the bar at closing, went for some late night hot dogs and showed up to work.

BV2005
05-20-2006, 05:43 PM
LOL at AJ. He wants to settle the score on Pay-Per-View in a steel cage.

how about a "Hell in the Cell"

Deebs14
05-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Beating those pricks never gets old..regardless of how bad they are! :bandance:

I have a whole new respect for Pods and especially BA after the brawl today...nice to seem them stick up for their teammate! It was tough to see as clearly as the sucker punch to AJ, but BA got a nice shot in on that ***** Barrett which helped send 'em to the ground.

I got a feeling Barrett's gonna get a little chin music at Wrigley next month. :cool:

BiancaCalzini
05-20-2006, 05:49 PM
All this is really rather easily described thusly:

White Sox - Go - nads
Cubbies - Faux - nads
:wink:

Goodman6
05-20-2006, 05:50 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH!! :bandance::bandance:

Great game today! Must be humiliating being a Cubs fan.. all they can do is make excuses. According to Corey McPherrin, "AJ was the agitator and let's face it, AJ was looking for trouble". :rolleyes: Couldn't believe he was saying that.

Corey McPherrin is an assclown. I can't stand that guy. He has Cub fan written all over him. Just the site of him makes me want to puke. Michael Barrett admits that A.J.'s play was clean. Dusty Baker said A.J.'s play was clean, but the dyed in wool assclown Cub fan (McPherrin) thinks A.J. was the agitator. When are we Chicagoans going to be rid of these horrible, horrilbe sportscasters and sports writers in this city? We certainly deserve better.

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Corey McPherrin is an assclown. I can't stand that guy. He has Cub fan written all over him. Just the site of him makes me want to puke. Michael Barrett admits that A.J.'s play was clean. Dusty Baker said A.J.'s play was clean, but the dyed in wool assclown Cub fan (McPherrin) thinks A.J. was the agitator. When are we Chicagoans going to be rid of these horrible, horrilbe sportscasters and sports writers in this city? We certainly deserve better.

When is Chicago going to rid themselves of the Cubs? They have been an embarassment to the City and State of Illinois for far too long. We all deserve better.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2006, 06:06 PM
ESPN news just showed the highlights and both anchors commented during it that A.J.'s play was 'clean.' One anchor then said Barrett said in the post game press conference that he was dazed and just saw A.J. 'coming at him' so he swung.

Lip

PAPChiSox729
05-20-2006, 06:06 PM

I thought McPherrin was a Sox fan. I swear I read that on one of the boards around here...

soxjim
05-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Now thats what I call an ass kicking. Lets go and sweep them tomorrow.

spawn
05-20-2006, 06:21 PM
One thing about this incident...The Cub/Sox will be the led Baseball Tonight story, and not the Mets/Yankees as it would've been...

goon
05-20-2006, 06:25 PM
i was at the game today, the stands were well... not happy with the cubs or barrett. though here is thing that i am simply not buying.

-aj and barrett collide at home plate
-aj slaps the plate, barrett said he didn't see it
-aj goes to get his helmet, barrett said he also didn't see
-aj says nothing, barrett bearhugs him, then punches him in the face
-after the game barrett says something along the lines of "i wasn't upset about the play, it was a good play, i just thought he was coming toward me and my dugout so i got pissed...."

well, if you weren't pissed off about the play, then why would you say, "i didn't have the ball bitch" right before you suckerpunch the guy? OBVIOUSLY barrett through a hissyfit because aj ran him over, not because he was walking toward the dugout, i'm sorry but that is bull****. if you can't take a clean, hardnosed play, they maybe you shouldnt be in the league. it's not aj's fault your team sucks.

barrett has a problem. he pulled the same stuff with dave roberts just the other week. i know it's frustrating to lose, but that shouldn't justify chirping at a guy for playing hard, or in this case, suckerpunching a guy like a chicken****.

IlliniSox4Life
05-20-2006, 06:26 PM
One thing about this incident...The Cub/Sox will be the led Baseball Tonight story, and not the Mets/Yankees as it would've been...

I have a feeling that honor will go to Bonds and 714.

spawn
05-20-2006, 06:29 PM
I have a feeling that honor will go to Bonds and 714.
Damn...that's right. I forgot about that. Here's the thing...he hasn't set a record yet. He's tied for second in career homers. Big whoop.:rolleyes:

OzzyTrain
05-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Got back from the game, just WOW, atmosphere was crazy. :thumbup: for having parachuters parachute in the beginning, amazing.
AJ :thumbup: , Anderson :thumbup: :thumbup:

As my Dad said, thats the best hit Anderson had all year long

Stayed after and watched AJ and Anderson come back out for the fans

rightsox
05-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Ugh.. WSCR is playing a cubs show now. This is rediculous. Why would you have a freaking cubs show immediately follow the white sox postgame show?

"How do the cubs bounce back after these two losses?"

I didn't care for WMVP, but they were better than this...

Edit: I guess it's not strictly a cubs show, but the hosts are clearly (and I think admittedly) cubs fans.

tick53
05-20-2006, 06:37 PM
:bandance: What a game, glad I've got it all on tape!

Rock On AJ!!!

:bart"Here you go Cubbies!!!!!! This is all you have coming!!!!:)

soxwon
05-20-2006, 06:45 PM
in a few peoples eyes
aj shouldnt have ran into barrett
to anyone here, would you agree?

nasox
05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
in a few peoples eyes

God damn it. He was getting his ****ing batting helmet that had flown off in the collision and landed behind Barrett. At first glance, it looked like he was going towards Barrett because he was walking towards the Cubs dugout and not ours, but he was getting his batting helmet. Then Barrett grabbed him, and sucker punched him. AJ flew back a few steps and looked a little surprised. Then, the ump tried to pull Barrett off of Pods and the rest of the crew coming off the bench but Pods tackled him and the ump couldn't restrain him. Then they were pulled off by Bains, Hairston, etc.

BTW, has anybody else heard this stupid nickname Cub fans are giving to AJ? It's GayJ (or GeighJ). Pretty dumb.

soxinthecity
05-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Got this from the St. Louis Board,

"I figured out what happened here with Barrett.

He's got a thing for AJ so he tried hugging him. AJ told Barrett that he doesn't play that game and he'd have a better chance with Mike Piazza.

Michael doesn't take rejection very well so he acted out violently."

:rolling:

1951Campbell
05-20-2006, 06:51 PM

Do it, AJ. Do it.

sullythered
05-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I thought McPherrin was a Sox fan. I swear I read that on one of the boards around here...
Corey McPherrin actually cried tears of joy on live television when the Sox won the World Series. Hardly a cub fan.

nasox
05-20-2006, 06:53 PM
The Cubs give the Sox a sucker punch :angry:

Iguchi gives the Cubs a SMACHDOWN!! :bandance:

Is that like a SmoochDown? Or a hatchdown?

I believe it is a SmackDown. Or Smakdown if you like being cool and hip.

sullythered
05-20-2006, 06:55 PM
God damn it. He was getting his ****ing batting helmet that had flown off in the collision and landed behind Barrett. At first glance, it looked like he was going towards Barrett because he was walking towards the Cubs dugout and not ours, but he was getting his batting helmet. Then Barrett grabbed him, and sucker punched him. AJ flew back a few steps and looked a little surprised. Then, the ump tried to pull Barrett off of Pods and the rest of the crew coming off the bench but Pods tackled him and the ump couldn't restrain him. Then they were pulled off by Bains, Hairston, etc.

BTW, has anybody else heard this stupid nickname Cub fans are giving to AJ? It's GayJ (or GeighJ). Pretty dumb.

I don't know what the hell anybody is talking about on this one. AJ didn't walk, bump, run, or anything into anyone. Barrett grabbed him. That's all.

Chips
05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
in a few peoples eyes

Hell ****ing yeah, he should have ran into him. He was in the ****ing way. And then he went to get his ****ing helmet.

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Barret is just trying to cover his ass with his lame, "I thought he was coming at me" excuse. Dusty said Barrett told him, "He hit me when I didn't even have the ball." A.J. said Barret told him, "I didn't have the ball, bitch" right before he punched him.

Realizing that since he was blocking the plate A.J. had every right to knock him on his ass, and also realizing that doesn't justify throwing a punch, he now changes his tune to "I thought he was coming after me." This is all just to reduce his coming fine and suspension.

Hopefully, MLB is made aware of these conflicting comments before they decide on his suspension.

MRM
05-20-2006, 07:07 PM
in a few peoples eyes

I've seen it replayed 5 times now (we got the yanks-mets game here) and AJ not only had a "right", he had an obligation to run over the catcher on that play. There was no score at that point, the throw was coming in. They teach you this stuff in little league. My daughter ran over a catcher 3 times her size in a similar play last week in a softball game. Not a single word was uttered by the catcher or her coach. That's how you are taught to play the game at EVERY level!

Anyone know why AJ was ejected? From the replays I saw he did NOTHING to warrant an ejection. It was a clean play on his part.

oeo
05-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Barret is just trying to cover his ass with his lame, "I thought he was coming at me" excuse. Dusty said Barrett told him, "He hit me when I didn't even have the ball." A.J. said Barret told him, "I didn't have the ball, bitch" right before he punched him.

Realizing that since he was blocking the plate A.J. had every right to knock him on his ass, and also realizing that doesn't justify throwing a punch, he now changes his tune to "I thought he was coming after me." This is all just to reduce his coming fine and suspension.

Hopefully, MLB is made aware of these conflicting comments before they decide on his suspension.
AJ didn't even do anything, he shouldn't get suspended. I'm still trying to figure out why he was ejected...maybe he said something, but I still can't see him being ejected for that. At most, AJ should get a fine, and I don't think he should even get that. Brian, on the other hand, will be getting some time.

chaotic8512
05-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Hell ****ing yeah, he should have ran into him. He was in the ****ing way. And then he went to get his ****ing helmet.

Ozzie? Is that you? :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
05-20-2006, 07:16 PM
This title proves all you people are totally biased.

Michael Barrett was only defending his dignity and manhood after AJ gave him a totally unnecessary cheapshot.
AJ should be suspended for starting this, Podsednik for being the 3rd man in and Brian Anderson should get a major suspension for his actions.

Also, Andy MacPhail wants a meeting with Unregistered for starting this thread and naming it in a totally biased manner.

Signed,
Anonymous Employee of Tribune Co.

PS - Buy the Tribune where fair White Sox coverage is our priority.

rightsox
05-20-2006, 07:19 PM
AJ didn't even do anything, he shouldn't get suspended. I'm still trying to figure out why he was ejected...

AJ said after the game that he was told he was being tossed out to calm the situation down. They didn't want flubs pitchers throwing at him later in the game. I don't like it, but I can see that they want to take extra precautions with such a charged crowd. All we need is for a few drunk sox fans to beat the crap out of a few drunk flubs fans in the Cell. I don't think anyone (besides the host of the current WSCR show) really expects him to be fined.

getonbckthr
05-20-2006, 07:27 PM
I kind of wish Ozzie would have put Montero (too lazy to check spelling) and throw at someone. Especially with him most likely getting demoted to make room for Jose.

RadioheadRocks
05-20-2006, 07:34 PM

Suffice it to say McPherrin is a dillweed and let's just leave it at that. :cool:

Chips
05-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Ozzie? Is that you? :D:

****, you ****ers finally ****ing figured it out. :D:

Lip Man 1
05-20-2006, 07:42 PM
ESPN radio was just talking about the incident and both co anchors agreed that Barrett's comments afterwards don't hold any water that he was just trying to cover his ass but that he knows what's coming (i.e. suspension...)

Lip

mikeybooyah
05-20-2006, 07:54 PM
I am not sure if this was posted, but, did you guy see Rich Hill's quote after the game..

"I think it was pretty gutless," losing pitcher Rich Hill said. "Him hitting Michael when he didn't even have the ball. That's not how you play the game. ... It's pathetic."
-ESPN.com

***??? He was blocking the plate!!!
Sounds like a bitter loser to me. :smile:

hawkjt
05-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Pods is from West, TX. - he knows how to tackle. A good DB in high school.
Good form tackling ,Pods.

I also throw kudos to Bad Ass BA who went after barrett and got that punch in on Barrett before he squared off with maybry and took him down. Maybry is an old guy who should stay out of the fray as he went to the hospital for x-rays on his ribs. I would guess he will not be facing Jose tomorrow.

AJ handled this perfectly - from doing what anyone that knows baseball can understand-barrelling thru a guy blocking the plate to not saying anything to barrett and not making a threatening move to finally not retaliating - we need our catcher in uni, not suspended./

AJ is everything you want in a World Champion Baseball Team catcher- physically tough, great caller of pitches,clutch hitter, with a little attitude and swagger. That is out of the grand tradition of winning catchers like bench,berra,freehan, Carlton. That was a classic confrontation of two catchers in their domain, home plate.

Tadahito Iguchi, my sox hat is off to you. Big game Tad, how reminiscent of the three run dong off of Wells in the playoff. Landed about the exact spot as PK's granny.

And of course Big Game Freddie does it again. Man, I love his noncholant body language out there as he dominates the tempo of the game. He has really made the final evolutionary step from thrower to pitcher. I think he has the hard stuff when he wants it . But he makes those big pitches when he needs them and sets up guys well when he has command like today.

This team is fun.

flo-B-flo
05-20-2006, 07:59 PM
AJ was slapping his jaw in the dugout - I seriously doubt he broke his jaw. Seen him get interviewed after the game. Looked alright to me.

The Racehorse
05-20-2006, 08:12 PM
:hawk
"I Luv woodshed beatings"

batmanZoSo
05-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Well that was a rather monumental ass-plundering. Let's make it an even three tomorrow, hm? :thumbsup:

:bandance:

palehozenychicty
05-20-2006, 08:18 PM
michael barrett is a loser. period.

Brian26
05-20-2006, 08:19 PM

**** Rich Hill and the train he'll be riding on back to Triple A.

flo-B-flo
05-20-2006, 08:19 PM
I am not sure if this was posted, but, did you guy see Rich Hill's quote after the game..

"I think it was pretty gutless," losing pitcher Rich Hill said. "Him hitting Michael when he didn't even have the ball. That's not how you play the game. ... It's pathetic."
-ESPN.com

Sounds like a bitter loser to me. :smile: Sounds like sisrich don't know **** about baseball.

Brian26
05-20-2006, 08:28 PM
I say its time to get into Zambranos head.

Not a very difficult task.

Brian26
05-20-2006, 08:31 PM

Kevin Kennedy insinuated on Fox that "some verbage" was thrown in between the play at the plate and the punch. He mentioned this twice, trying somehow to blame AJ for the punch being thrown or somehow justify it. There's no justifying it. It was an unwarranted cheap shot by a loser.

The Racehorse
05-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Not a very difficult task.

Getting into his dome is easy... it's getting into his pea-sized brain that's hard. :D:

Bucky F. Dent
05-20-2006, 08:36 PM
"That's not how you play the game. ... It's pathetic."

That attitude helps to explain how the flubs got nine hits and didn't plate a single run.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2006, 08:37 PM
I think I read on White Sox.com where the Sox in the first two games versus the Cubs at home are 13-1. The 'problem' comes in game #3. The Sox have never swept the assclowns on the South Side.

Let's hope that oddity ends tomorrow.

Lip

soxrme
05-20-2006, 08:40 PM
I turned on wgn radio and the cub fans and Kaplan were all blaming AJ of course. I really think Ozzie should have him lead off and bunt against Zombrano tomorrow. That shoud really get that moron off his game

tadscout
05-20-2006, 08:40 PM
I seriously doubt pods will get punished… if you watch he was doing the same exact action as the umpire was doing (both tackling Barrett to the ground)… and anyway that kind of action is seen as a peacemaking move in a bawl b/c he was trying to settle him down…

I love the way AJ plays… If my grandpa didn’t have a freak injury (where a batter knocked his knee cap down his knee, I’ll leave it as that) in his Senior Year in High School (as he was getting scouted)… I’d imagine he would been just like AJ…

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 08:51 PM

-ESPN.com

With Barrett blocking the plate, there was nowhere A.J. could slide anyway. But if A.J. did slide, Barrett would be crying that A.J. spiked him, and he would have sucker punched him for that.

Barrett has a history of being a sore loser.

ode to veeck
05-20-2006, 09:05 PM
What a wild day at the New Comiskey (aka Cell).
SOX WIN
SOX WIN
SOX WIN

OK Freddie, do it again at Wrigley!

cheeses_h_rice
05-20-2006, 09:06 PM

-ESPN.com

This is unbelievable. AJ knows it's going to be a close, bang-bang play at the plate, as the ball wasn't hit very deep in LF and AJ isn't exactly a speed demon. So he's supposed to run full-bore toward home, and if at the last second he doesn't see the ball in or approaching Barrett's glove -- while Barrett sits right on top of the front of home plate -- he's supposed to do what? Stop? Say "Excuse me, I do believe you're blocking home plate, and I need to touch that."

*****, Hill. Are you really that ****ing stupid?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Barrett has a history of being a sore loser.

I wouldn't call Barrett so much a sore loser as simply a loose cannon. Starting **** where there's no **** to start is becoming his specialty. It was just last week he nearly started a fight at the Urinal by talking smack to one of the San Diego Padres as he crossed homeplate.

The league needs to come down hard on this *******. The only thing that might save Barrett from a 5-game suspension is the fact he hit AJ Pierzynski, a guy with a "known reputation", whatever that's supposed to mean.

RadioheadRocks
05-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't call Barrett so much a sore loser as simply a loose cannon. Starting **** where there's no **** to start is becoming his specialty. It was just last week he nearly started a fight at the Urinal by talking smack to one of the San Diego Padres as he crossed homeplate.

The league needs to come down hard on this *******. The only thing that might save Barrett from a 5-game suspension is the fact he hit AJ Pierzynski, a guy with a "known reputation", whatever that's supposed to mean.

Wasn't Barrett the one who also expressed his disgust over the White Sox taking over "OUR downtown" with the World Series parade?

flo-B-flo
05-20-2006, 09:27 PM
I really think Ozzie should have him lead off and bunt against Zombrano tomorrow. That should really get that moron off his game I think your on to something. Ozzie did anyone tell you about this yet? Then you buzz their catcher and slide hard into every base all game.

flo-B-flo
05-20-2006, 09:36 PM
AJ Pierzynski, a guy with a "known reputation", whatever that's supposed to mean.
:?: I'm really getting sick of this **** too. AJ plays hard. We saw it when he played for the enemy. He is a BASEBALL player. A great catcher is always a big man on the team. He was slapping himself all the way to the dugout after the assault. He is a catcher and wears "the tools of ignorance". Thank the heavens he's on our team.

chisox77
05-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Three very impressive things:

Tadahito's power hitting

Freddy's pitiching

Pods' ability to take down Barrett with a perfect form tackle - it also seemed that Pods was able to keep him down and deliver a few licks. Very strong leadoff hitter the White Sox have here.

:cool:

chisoxfan64
05-20-2006, 09:38 PM

Good idea, lots of room in there.

HomeFish
05-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Being called pathetic by Hill has no credibility. It's like being called evil by Stalin.

HomeFish
05-20-2006, 09:45 PM
BTW,

All of you who are complaining that the Sox didn't retaliate -- we did. Tadahito Iguchi retaliated not just once, but twice.

THAT is how you get back at them, NOT by issuing a free baserunner.

DickAllen72
05-20-2006, 09:53 PM
BTW,

All of you who are complaining that the Sox didn't retaliate -- we did. Tadahito Iguchi retaliated not just once, but twice.

THAT is how you get back at them, NOT by issuing a free baserunner.

You got it.

Brian26
05-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Wasn't Barrett the one who also expressed his disgust over the White Sox taking over "OUR downtown" with the World Series parade?

Yes. That was him.

TornLabrum
05-20-2006, 10:17 PM
This is unbelievable. AJ knows it's going to be a close, bang-bang play at the plate, as the ball wasn't hit very deep in LF and AJ isn't exactly a speed demon. So he's supposed to run full-bore toward home, and if at the last second he doesn't see the ball in or approaching Barrett's glove -- while Barrett sits right on top of the front of home plate -- he's supposed to do what? Stop? Say "Excuse me, I do believe you're blocking home plate, and I need to touch that."

*****, Hill. Are you really that ****ing stupid?

The rule is that if you block the basepath and do not have the ball, you are guilty of obstruction. The runner has every right to mow you down. You don't belong there. Barrett knew that and did not complain about that after the game. Dusty knew that and did not complain about that after the game. Somebody should give young Mr. Hill (and all the moron Cubs fans out there) a copy of the damned rule book.

LuzinskiRoofShot
05-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Bottom line is Barrett is an assclown that doesn't understand the game he is paid to play. He had an ongoing feud with Oswalt a couple years ago that he wouldn't let go of. He got into with Dave Roberts a week ago for stealing a base when the Cubs were down by five. And now he cant handle getting run over on a clean play by AJ. Here's a tip Mikey...go home, iron your skirt, shut your mouth and let the real men play ball.

TaylorStSox
05-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Iguchi had a great day. It was huge for him to capitalize on the walks and drive in 4 with 2 outs. Garcia was really impressive as well. I have to admit that the velocity issue concerned me, but he's a more complete pitcher right now.

As far as the fight...it happens. I don't really think any less of Barrett. He's obviously frustrated. Actually, I've never had any feelings towards him. The play was clean and he knows it (it was as clean as Hunter taking out Burke. That's baseball.) At least he was man enough to admit that he was wrong. In the end, we picked each other up and that's all that matters.

This was only the second Cubs game I've seen this year. With that line up, I'm amazed they have the record they do. They have one real RBI threat and he's really struggling. To say their anemic would be an understatement. They're downright brutal.

Rounding_Third
05-20-2006, 10:28 PM
It's unanimous on Baseball Tonight: "A.J. did nothing wrong. He was just going over to pick up his helmet after a perfectly legal play. The slapping of his hand on the plate was no big deal." Even Brantley thought so.

FielderJones
05-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Somebody should give young Mr. Hill (and all the moron Cubs fans out there) a copy of the damned rule book.

That rule book should come in handy for all those long bus rides Mr. Hill will be on back in AAA. :redneck

Frankfan4life
05-20-2006, 10:37 PM
All I can say about today's game is "That's Entertainment!" I want to thank Freddy, Tadahito, AJ and the rest of the Sox for helping to make this one heck of a beautiful day!:D:

tadscout
05-20-2006, 10:51 PM
All I can say about today's game is "That's Entertainment!" I want to thank Freddy, Tadahito, AJ and the rest of the Sox for helping to make this one heck of a beautiful day!:D:

I was hoping to watch it after getting home from coaching HS baseball... but MLB.tv has it blacked out... :angry: It's the first game all season it has blacked me out, and it had to be this one!:angry:

isilzha
05-20-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm waiting for all the photoshopped pics to come out of this one. :wink:

EdHerman12
05-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Man what a game, what a day! Great posts on this one folks, but I'll tell you tomorrow Zambrano is on the hill, and that guy is a loose cannon....I really hope things stay cool. Barret should get canned for at least 5 games for that crap.

There is no doubt that the Sox are THE team in Chicago right here, right now...

:gulp: <-----to AJ, the 'Guch, and Freddy for a helluv a win....

watched the Motor City Kitties pull it out against the Reds....gonna be a great rave!

GO SOX!

Uncle_Patrick
05-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Ridiculous excuses I heard today for Michael Barrett's reaction:

1) AJ should have slid. (my father-in-law)
2) AJ had it coming and many players around baseball don't like him (WGN postgame show)
3) AJ walked towards Barrett (from Barrett, himself)
4) AJ should have let the batboy pick up his helmet. Barrett was defending his territory. (Caller to the Score)
5) AJ threw an awkward elbow at Barrett (Bruce LevineLine on ESPN 1000)
6) AJ is an instigator (Corey McPherrin)

FielderJones
05-20-2006, 11:49 PM
AJ's new at-bat music:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000060NH.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

" I come up hard, baby, I had to fight!
To keep my dignity with all my might!
I come up hard, I had to win!
Then start all over. And win again!
I come up hard, but that's OK!
'Cause Trouble Man don't get in my way."

milrtyme28
05-20-2006, 11:50 PM
I loved AJ's follow up actions after the play - the high fives in the dugout and slapping his jaw - AJ is the quintessential White Sox.

:cool:

SoxFan64
05-21-2006, 12:01 AM
What a wild day at the New Comiskey (aka Cell).
SOX WIN
SOX WIN
SOX WIN

OK Freddie, do it again at Wrigley!

If the rotation stays the same and no one is skipped in the rotation then it should be the three "Jays" -- Jose, Jon and Javier -- when we go north in five weeks.

Now come October ...

chi_guy
05-21-2006, 12:03 AM
\\ I hate the Cubs more than ever.

DickAllen72
05-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Come October the Cubs will be watching the Sox on TV again.

digdagdug23
05-21-2006, 12:07 AM
If the rotation stays the same and no one is skipped in the rotation then it should be the three "Jays" -- Jose, Jon and Javier -- when we go north in five weeks.

Now come October ...
My 12 year old throws a mean curve, decent fastball, can he come in and give it a try?

Come October the Cubs will be watching the Sox on TV again.

Well, Barrett will be doing it earlier this year.

DrCrawdad
05-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Great subject line on this discussion! A sucker punch is EXACTLY what it was. A sucker punch is described as punching someone when the other did not expect it. Certainly AJ didn't expect to be punched.

DrCrawdad
05-21-2006, 12:09 AM

2) AJ had it coming and many players around baseball don't like him (WGN postgame show)
4) AJ should have let the batboy pick up his helmet. Barrett was defending his territory. (Caller to the Score)

Bruce LeVineLine is such an ass. I'll never listen to that Cubbie propagandist.

Oh, and the strapping Jock Jones, you're an ass too.

Jacque Jones said, "The play was clean, the punch was clean. And I was just, like, 'Wow.'"

Can you imagine what the reaction from the media would be IF the situation were reversed and it was AJ who got run over by Barrett and then AJ threw a sucker punch?

beckett21
05-21-2006, 12:10 AM
1) Michael Barrett is a hotheaded punk who has obvious anger management issues. Two incidents in two weeks is a pattern.

2) Rich Hill is a moron.

3) The Cubs are a very bad baseball team. One of the worst in all of MLB.

Here's to Jose sweeping this trash out of our park tomorrow. :gulp:

As far as the difference between today's play and the Hunter/Burke play:

IIRC Burke had his back to Hunter and was standing in front of the plate, on the pitcher's mound side, giving Hunter a clear path to score. Barrett was squarely blocking the plate on the third base side and Pierzynski had no choice but to go through him to touch home. Not the same play IMO.

DickAllen72
05-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Can you imagine what the reaction from the media would be IF the situation were reversed and it was AJ who got run over by Barrett and then AJ threw a sucker punch?

It would probably be reported by the media as a "hate crime". :cool:

Uncle_Patrick
05-21-2006, 12:17 AM

They'd completely crucify him.

I'm particularly annoyed that despite the fact that Barrett has been involved in several altercations, he's not being called out more for his history, yet we're repeatedly told that AJ is an "instigator" despite the fact the he did nothing wrong here.

HotelWhiteSox
05-21-2006, 12:18 AM
Take a guess where this recap came from:

Pierzynski, known more for being the center of controversy than for his speed, ran over Barrett, who was trying to block home plate without the ball.

Pierzynski went back to slap home plate with his right hand as Barrett slowly got up. Pierzynski said he then went to retrieve his helmet that had fallen toward the backstop in the direction of Barrett instead of walking to the Sox dugout.

As Pierzynski dipped his left shoulder, Barrett grabbed him and paused momentarily before landing a blow to Pierzynski's jaw that sent him flying and sent "oohs" throughout the stands.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-060520soxcubsgamer,1,1006375.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

The only thing I saw flying was Iguchi's slam

Bill Naharodny
05-21-2006, 12:20 AM
In reference to a supposed awkward elbow from AJ to Barrett, someone mentioned LevineLine in this thread, which reminds me . . .

I'm watching the Comcast pregame show yesterday, and they have some footage of guys down in the Cubs dugout before the game. And there's Levine standing in the Cubs dugout (!), when Jim Hendry comes walking by and slaps 'ol Bruce on the back. Hendry walks on. Bruce smiles contentedly.

Just another day in the Woodward and Bernsteinesque life of Bruce Levine.

DickAllen72
05-21-2006, 12:21 AM
1) As far as the difference between today's play and the Hunter/Burke play:

IIRC Burke had his back to Hunter and was standing in front of the plate, on the pitcher's mound side, giving Hunter a clear path to score. Barrett was squarely blocking the plate on the third base side and Pierzynski had no choice but to go through him to touch home. Not the same play IMO.

Burke was giving Hunter access to the plate. Barrett had the entire plate blocked. A.J. had no way to get to the plate by sliding. And if he did slide, Barrett would be crying that A.J. spiked him.

BTW, Even though the Hunter/Burke play was a bit of a cheap shot, I still like Hunter and wouldn't mind having him in a Sox uniform. I've never liked "Pukey Luke" Barrett and would never want to see him play for the Sox.

DickAllen72
05-21-2006, 12:22 AM
I'm particularly annoyed that despite the fact that Barrett has been involved in several altercations, he's not being called out more for his history, yet we're repeatedly told that AJ is an "instigator" despite the fact the he did nothing wrong here.

Thank you!

goon
05-21-2006, 12:23 AM
I've never liked "Pukey Luke" Barrett and would never want to see him play for the Sox.

after this game, i don't think we will have to worry about that.

kenny knows trash when he sees it.

WizardsofOzzie
05-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Rich Hill's comments about todays collision at homeplate:
"I think it was pretty gutless on their part—him hitting Michael when he didn't even have the ball," Hill said. "That's not how you play the game.But you don't go around just running over catchers. That's not the way you play the game. … It was pathetic."

Ozzie Guillen's response:
Tell that Triple-A [bleep] to shut the [bleep] up," "Tell him to start throwing some strikes or he's going to get Dusty fired."

kcsportscaster
05-21-2006, 12:43 AM
After reading all of the takes on Michael Barrett's cheap shot on A-J, here's my take, first on the game. Kudos to Tadahito Iguchi for his clutch hitting with two outs each time he came up, kudos to Freddy Garcia for shutting out those ****bags eight miles north, and most of all, kudos to Brian Anderson and Pods for standing up to that asswipe Barrett and knocking him on his sorry ass after cheap shotting A-J!!!!

No doubt Pods and Anderson will be suspended for their roles, but there is NO WAY IN HELL A-J should be suspended BECAUSE HE DID NOTHING WRONG!!!! If that punk-ass Barrett is not suspended for a minimum of 20 games, then Dickwad Selig should resign IMMEDIATELY!!!! THERE WAS NO REASON WHATSOEVER FOR BARRETT TO SUCKER PUNCH A-J AFTER HE KNOCKED BARRETT DOWN AT THE PLATE!!!! Any catcher should know better than to block the plate WITHOUT the ball when a runner is rounding third trying to score.

In addition, **** RICH HILL FOR HIS ASININE COMMENTS, **** DUSTY BAKER FOR MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE INCIDENT, **** BRUCE LEVINE AND **** DAVID KAPLAN, AUTHOR OF THE MOST UNPROFESSIONAL TELEVISION PLAY-BY-PLAY CALLS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY IN THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS SEASON OPENING THURSDAY NIGHT LOSS TO NORTHERN ILLINOIS A FEW YEARS AGO, FOR BLAMING THE INCIDENT ON A-J, **** MOBILE PRESS-REGISTER SPORTSWRITER, AND CUBS HOMER, NEAL MCCREADY, **** ANDY MCFAILURE, **** JIM HENDRY, **** THE ENTIRE CUBS ORGANIZATION, **** THE CUBS "FANS," AND MOST OF ALL, **** MICHAEL BARRETT:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: !!!!

NOW GO OUT AND FINISH OFF THOSE ****BAGS, ESPECIALLY ZAMBOZO!!!!

beckett21
05-21-2006, 12:45 AM
After reading all of the takes on Michael Barrett's cheap shot on A-J, here's my take, first on the game. Kudos to Tadahito Iguchi for his clutch hitting with two outs each time he came up, kudos to Freddy Garcia for shutting out those ****bags eight miles north, and most of all, kudos to Brian Anderson and Pods for standing up to that asswipe Barrett and knocking him on his sorry ass after cheap shotting A-J!!!!

No doubt Pods and Anderson will be suspended for their roles, but there is NO WAY IN HELL A-J should be suspended BECAUSE HE DID NOTHING WRONG!!!! If that punk-ass Barrett is not suspended for a minimum of 20 games, then Dickwad Selig should resign IMMEDIATELY!!!! THERE WAS NO REASON WHATSOEVER FOR BARRETT TO SUCKER PUNCH A-J AFTER HE KNOCKED BARRETT DOWN AT THE PLATE!!!! Any catcher should know better than to block the plate WITHOUT the ball when a runner is rounding third trying to score.

In addition, **** RICH HILL FOR HIS ASININE COMMENTS, **** DUSTY BAKER FOR MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE INCIDENT, **** BRUCE LEVINE AND **** DAVID KAPLAN, AUTHOR OF THE MOST UNPROFESSIONAL TELEVISION PLAY-BY-PLAY CALLS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY IN THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS SEASON OPENING THURSDAY NIGHT LOSS TO NORTHERN ILLINOIS A FEW YEARS AGO, FOR BLAMING THE INCIDENT ON A-J, **** MOBILE PRESS-REGISTER SPORTSWRITER, AND CUBS HOMER, NEAL MCCREADY, **** ANDY MCFAILURE, **** JIM HENDRY, **** THE ENTIRE CUBS ORGANIZATION, **** THE CUBS "FANS," AND MOST OF ALL, **** MICHAEL BARRETT:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: !!!!

NOW GO OUT AND FINISH OFF THOSE ****BAGS, ESPECIALLY ZAMBOZO!!!!

Not that I disagree with anything you posted...but might I suggest decaf? :redneck

markopat
05-21-2006, 12:46 AM
I have nothing to add to this most enjoyable 30 minutes of reading...Let's beat their ass bad tomorrow! The Despicable Losers...

I love our boys!

Rock On!

ShoelessJoeS
05-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Not that I disagree with anything you posted...but might I suggest decaf? :redneck:rolling:

1951Campbell
05-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Dear Cubs,

http://fireproof.bravehost.com/myPictures/haha+Thou+PWNED.jpg

santo=dorf
05-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Barrett's explanation is he was talking towards me
Which would perfectly explain why he grabbed AJ from the side. :?: :rolleyes:

voodoochile
05-21-2006, 01:50 AM
in a few peoples eyes

No and anyone who says different doesn't understand baseball, IMO.

No Quarter...

voodoochile
05-21-2006, 01:56 AM
I think your on to something. Ozzie did anyone tell you about this yet? Then you buzz their catcher and slide hard into every base all game.

No, emulate Iguchi. The best revenge is to not bother to react. Let them be the ones who worry about fighting. Let the Sox be the ones to worry about baseball. Let's not do something stupid and end up with a major suspension that could cost the team some wins.

Just play baseball.

Just win...

Mr. White Sox
05-21-2006, 02:20 AM
I like the Dusty picture the best. I can almost hear him screaming, "NO MORE INJURIES! NO.MORE.INJURIES! STOP! NOOOOOOOO!"

Unregistered
05-21-2006, 04:49 AM

Funny you say that - in David Haugh's "3 Up, 3 Down" article in the Trib, this is what they say about Barrett:

[Michael Barrett: The "tools of ignorance" is another term for catcher's equipment, but lately Barrett has taken that expression too literally. For the second time in two weeks, the nicest guy in the Cubs' clubhouse showed a mean streak on the field—and this time his outburst will hurt his team more than it did A.J. Pierzynski. How the Cubs' already anemic batting order will fare without one its best hitters as Barrett serves the likely suspension is something the bright catcher should have considered before connecting with Pierzynski's jaw.

Even in "bashing" him, they make it a point to remind everybody how nice and smart the guy is. The Trib is such a piece of ****. :puking:

White_Sock
05-21-2006, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad

Everyone i've talked to about this so far knows the type of scumbag that Barrett is, and everyone that i have talked to is either a Giants fan, an Angels fan, or an A's fan. People know Barrett is a hot headed loser. The national media is doing an o.k. job in showing people who was in the right (for once anyway). The masses are getting the message. The footage speaks for itself. The media doesn't have to crucify Barrett- he hung himself out to dry.

What really pisses me off is when maggots like Hill chime in about how AJ is pathetic for his actions. Did he even see what Barrett did? Holy Cow what a knucklehead. Someone here already said it: Hill's nonsense is a small taste of what White Sox fans have to deal with in their cross-town counterparts.

All in all - take the game for what it was:

A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!:bandance:

Mendoza Line
05-21-2006, 09:13 AM
I found a gif image of the Barrett cheap shot, but does anyone have/can anyone make a gif image of AJ slapping home plate?

Layla
05-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Also in the Cubune they mention how religious Barrett is.:rolleyes:

TornLabrum
05-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Also in the Cubune they mention how religious Barrett is.:rolleyes:

Exactly which religion is it that has the commandment, "Thou shalt sucker punch thine enemy"?

soxinthecity
05-21-2006, 09:59 AM
http://gi.vpptechnologies.com/GI/010/328/857.jpg (http://www.pebbs.com/lonomyth/hl-hjo.htm) "I SEE STUPID PEOPLE"

http://images.picsearch.com/is?S3ZKN7okqdnjHe6eZXFGJ0QVAuslQJT3hZ9PofPFYFI (http://www.svsarah.com/Non-Sailing/Wrigley%20Field.htm) http://images.picsearch.com/is?9jgZnicgegHoxHbBdmmgCDs4V2906t7tr8ZXbF8tqeU (http://baseball-almanac.com/stadium/wrigley_field.shtml) http://images.picsearch.com/is?BukBuLexsudTah1PXc4o5j6ea7WOmR1byKFjfP0MFC0 (http://www.woodenbatclassic.com/cubsphoto.html)

Layla
05-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Exactly which religion is it that has the commandment, "Thou shalt sucker punch thine enemy"?

The same religion that says:

Thou shalt bring cell phones and wave to your friends

Thou shalt drink to excess and never know the score

Thou shalt hang around with frat boys and Trixies

Thou shalt throw things onto the field, thus violating MLB Rules.

I don't know the name of the religion, but they do worship at the Shrine of Beer Gardens and Clueless People at Wrigley Field.

digdagdug23
05-21-2006, 11:12 AM
I think it's called Satanism.

Jjav829
05-21-2006, 12:06 PM

I think it's pretty simple why Barrett reacted the way he did. He had his manhood challenged and felt he had to respond. This is something I think most every guy here has experienced at some point in their lives to some extent. It may not be something serious. It could be something as simple as a friend giving you a friendly little push in front of a crowd and you responding by giving him the same push back. It's just that part of the male brain that often times doesn't want to be shown up by anyone.

Well, that's what happened to Barrett. Pierzynski destroyed him at home plate in front of everyone watching. Barrett couldn't do the same thing in retaliation, so his response was to punch AJ. By the time he stopped to think about it, he realized that Pierzynski made a clean play so he made up the excuse about seeing AJ coming toward him, rather than admitting the truth which would have led to a bigger suspension and made him look like more of a idiot.

BackNBlack
05-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Rich Hill's comments about todays collision at homeplate:
"I think it was pretty gutless on their part—him hitting Michael when he didn't even have the ball," Hill said. "That's not how you play the game.But you don't go around just running over catchers. That's not the way you play the game. … It was pathetic."

Ozzie Guillen's response:
Tell that Triple-A [bleep] to shut the [bleep] up," "Tell him to start throwing some strikes or he's going to get Dusty fired."

This is why I love Ozzie Guillen.

white sox bill
05-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I think it's pretty simple why Barrett reacted the way he did. He had his manhood challenged and felt he had to respond. This is something I think most every guy here has experienced at some point in their lives to some extent. It may not be something serious. It could be something as simple as a friend giving you a friendly little push in front of a crowd and you responding by giving him the same push back. It's just that part of the male brain that often times doesn't want to be shown up by anyone.

Well, that's what happened to Barrett. Pierzynski destroyed him at home plate in front of everyone watching. Barrett couldn't do the same thing in retaliation, so his response was to punch AJ. By the time he stopped to think about it, he realized that Pierzynski made a clean play so he made up the excuse about seeing AJ coming toward him, rather than admitting the truth which would have led to a bigger suspension and made him look like more of a idiot.

Well put, I don't think Barrett is a bad guy. Just emotions running high on both sides.