PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Lofton signing.

MikeKreevich
02-01-2002, 08:00 PM
When someone recently suggested the Sox pick up Kenny Lofton I was less than excited. Now that they have him I think it's a good move. The Sox needed a lead off man and they didn't have one. Ray made a habit of making a out in the first inning last year. He doesn't want to be a lead of man. Lofton is a gold glove center fielder. I'm hoping he turns it up for an new team.
Brian Simmons is the big loser and probably won't make the team. Rowand will get his chance and is still young.

Iguana775
02-01-2002, 08:04 PM
at least with lofton, he doesnt TRY to hit homers.....ray tends to.

MikeKreevich
02-01-2002, 10:05 PM
How many times is Lofton going to face his former team this year?
Yeah Baby! :)

WinningUgly!
02-01-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
How many times is Lofton going to face his former team this year?
Yeah Baby! :) 22 if you count Atlanta. :D:

RichH55
02-02-2002, 02:21 AM
When someone recently suggested the Sox pick up Kenny Lofton I was less than excited. Now that they have him I think it's a good move. The Sox needed a lead off man and they didn't have one. Ray made a habit of making a out in the first inning last year. He doesn't want to be a lead of man. Lofton is a gold glove center fielder. I'm hoping he turns it up for an new team.
Brian Simmons is the big loser and probably won't make the team. Rowand will get his chance and is still young.

Simmons was brought in to be a 4th OF....how much do you want out of the guy...geez

RedPinStripes
02-02-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Simmons was brought in to be a 4th OF....how much do you want out of the guy...geez

Out of who? Simmons? Do the math dude. There is no room.

RichH55
02-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Out of who? Simmons? Do the math dude. There is no room.

I did the math and Simmons was brought in to be a 4th OF.....KW was trying to move Singleton for awhile.....with Lofton in it changes, but when Simmons was brought in it was to be a 4th OF.....the original poster went off on Simmons and I thought it was unwarranted

RedPinStripes
02-02-2002, 02:29 AM

I did the math and Simmons was brought in to be a 4th OF.....KW was trying to move Singleton for awhile.....with Lofton in it changes, but when Simmons was brought in it was to be a 4th OF.....the original poster went off on Simmons and I thought it was unwarranted

Ok . My bad then. I hate to see Simmons be the odd man out though. That blows!

RichH55
02-02-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Ok . My bad then. I hate to see Simmons be the odd man out though. That blows!

Well i agree that would "blow"....we Sox fans are nothing if not verbose:).....but isnt Simmons more of a 4th OF than Rowand, and what does Rowand learn sitting on the bench in Chicago instead of playing in Triple A til the need for him to return arises?

Kilroy
02-02-2002, 03:15 AM
Well i agree that would "blow"....we Sox fans are nothing if not verbose:).....but isnt Simmons more of a 4th OF than Rowand, and what does Rowand learn sitting on the bench in Chicago instead of playing in Triple A til the need for him to return arises?

I think Simmons is more of a defensive replacement OF than a 4th outfielder because of his weaker stick. A-Ro is more of a 4th outfielder because you can start him and not lose much.

RichH55
02-02-2002, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I think Simmons is more of a defensive replacement OF than a 4th outfielder because of his weaker stick. A-Ro is more of a 4th outfielder because you can start him and not lose much.

Well Remember that Liefer will get some days in the Corner Spots(theres your stick) and I always envisoned 4th OF as defensive Stalwart, baserunner type who can start here and there.....I dont think Simmons career stats tell what he is capable of so his hitting shouldnt be such a negative, but a 4th OF isnt expected to be an everyday type and like I said Simmons is out of options, if you get an injury for more than a few days you can reward Rowand........Im not sure how service time works for Rowand or how many options he has before you start worring about waivers, but Im pretty sure you can do some Triple A stuff with him and get him playing time there and use him if you need him while having the superior defensive player and baserunner up for the big club.....and if you use Rowand who is your pinch runner/defensive replacement for Lee/Liefer late in games? Rowand aint exactly a gold glover out there or Lou Brook, you know?

MikeKreevich
02-02-2002, 09:54 AM

I didn't go off on Simmons. I just said that if anyone loses out here it's Simmons, who probably won't make the team now. Since Rowand bats righthanded, there will be some platooning with Lofton.

CubKilla
02-02-2002, 11:03 AM
Anybody against Borchard being the fourth OF for one season? It would put him in the bigs without all the pressure and with the addition of Lofton, Borchard could learn a thing or two. If Borchard is the CF of the future, I believe this would be a better situation than bringing in Simmons who everyone touts as a 4th OF.

Jjav829
02-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
Anybody against Borchard being the fourth OF for one season? It would put him in the bigs without all the pressure and with the addition of Lofton, Borchard could learn a thing or two. If Borchard is the CF of the future, I believe this would be a better situation than bringing in Simmons who everyone touts as a 4th OF.

Im against it. He would be better off in AAA playing everyday rather than sitting on the bench in the bigs.

guillen4life13
02-02-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

Im against it. He would be better off in AAA playing everyday rather than sitting on the bench in the bigs.

agreed.

he signed to play. if we don't satisfy him, you'd better know what he'll do most likely, if his body hasn't changed much.

he goes to the nfl, and probably ends up as a starter for a team that has a mediocre qb.

let him play, whether in AAA or the bigs. let him play.

doublem23
02-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

IIRC, Borchard was gonna be back in AA....

guillen4life13
02-02-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

IIRC, Borchard was gonna be back in AA....

that would be downright screwy. no logic behind that type of decision. he's good enough for AAA, and maybe even the bigs. play him where he will be challenged a bit so that he can develop even more.

Daver
02-02-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

that would be downright screwy. no logic behind that type of decision. he's good enough for AAA, and maybe even the bigs. play him where he will be challenged a bit so that he can develop even more.

There is a reason to send him back to Birmingham,the feild dimensions are similar to Comiskey Park,and they have a hitting instructor there as well as a hitting coach.AAA is filled with guys that will never make it to the next step,AA is where they learn the game at a pro level,for the most part.

RichH55
02-03-2002, 04:48 AM

I didn't go off on Simmons. I just said that if anyone loses out here it's Simmons, who probably won't make the team now. Since Rowand bats righthanded, there will be some platooning with Lofton.

Fair enough........didnt mean to misrepresent what you were saying.........but I also doubt that Kenny was brought here to platoon unless things arent going well