PDA

View Full Version : WhiteSox personalities

mike squires
05-19-2006, 10:30 PM
After attending a few games the past week here are some of my observations of the players. Feel free to add to the list, agree or that I'm just full of crap....

Jim Thome~Although he dissapointed me not signing my bobble, I can say this guy loves everyting about the game. He is constantly smiling during warm ups. He is always chatting with guys in the infield and follows his routine strictly including...stretching, BP, takes a few grounders at short, jogs from the third base line to the outfield and back, stretches out at the LF warning track and has the conditioning coach stretch and massage him. He then trots over to first and takes some grounders and finishes watching BP. This guy could easily hide out in the clubhouse away from the hounding fans (including myself) and the media due to his status. This guy is always smiling.

AJ~AJ is either depressed, goes out drinking late at night and is just getting over the hangover blues or simply is very low key. AJ gave a polite but yet non chalont wave to the fans during warm ups. Also on a couple of TV shots he siply looks down in the dumps.

Greg Walker~Greg is all business. He'll talk baseball with you and is a good guy but you can tell he is at work. He's serious and hard nosed. He'll sign for you most of the time if you are polite.

Scotty Po~Scott seemed to shun the fans the 2 games I was at. He simply gave a little fist pump. A fan responded by saying, "whatever that is supposed to mean." Scott mainly kept to himself and seemed focused.

Man Soo Lee~This guy is full of himself. Of all the players and coaches it is obvious he is the most outgoing and most accomodating. Sometimes he would sign a ball in the bullpen during a game and hand it out to a youngster. He always goes up and down the wall talking to fans, hugging girls who don't even know who he is and always has a smile on his face. He's another guy that cherishes every moment in the bigs. I say this even when he told me to leave him alone the other night!!!

Ozzie~Very good with the media. Accomodating all requests for interviews. The 2 games I saw, he had no interest in signing before the games.

Joe Crede~Not once did Joe look up at the fans, wave, smile...NOTHING. Joe went about his business and doesn't seem to get caught up in the spotlight.

Juan Uribe~Very loose and interactive with the fans.

Art~I'm sure this is a guy with a lot of stories and is probably a good guy. But I can also say he has a bad side and can be an ass.

Let me know what you guys think. Those of you that go to the games regularly and have insight on personalities.

whitesoxwilkes
05-19-2006, 11:11 PM
AJ--has the toughest job outside of the starting pitcher on the diamond. Has to focus in.

Man Soo Lee--the most NOT full of himself guy you'll ever meet. Maybe you need to check your definitions closer.

Ozzie--Manager of a World Champion baseball team and under constant scrutiny. Doesn't have the chance to interact with fans because he's busy doing his job.

Kusyner--Coaches what might be the biggest trouble spot on the 2006 Sox. Hardnosed baseball lifer with a job to do...but I have NEVER seen him do anything that would construe him as an ass.

PaulDrake
05-19-2006, 11:24 PM
I agree with the assessment of Man Soo Lee by Wilkes. We took in game 1 of the Tampa Bay series and I've never seen anyone in professional sports so giving of himself as Man Soo Lee. He gives his all to the fans and to his job. I rarely if ever seek out autographs, it's just not my style. We had good seats in section 119 and Man Soo Lee appeared to be one of the few Sox players or coaches intereacting with fans. The atmosphere was very businesslike.

HotelWhiteSox
05-20-2006, 02:41 AM
Crede is the man, saw him signing until the start of a game at home a couple weeks ago

Maybe some of them just act different because they are on the road

Agree on Thome, fun to watch him warmup. I saw him go up to a guy from another team and introduce himself, and with him and the stories I hear about him, I could just imagine him telling the guy to look for his new pair of car keys at his locker

mike squires
05-20-2006, 03:17 AM
I agree with the assessment of Man Soo Lee by Wilkes. We took in game 1 of the Tampa Bay series and I've never seen anyone in professional sports so giving of himself as Man Soo Lee. He gives his all to the fans and to his job. I rarely if ever seek out autographs, it's just not my style. We had good seats in section 119 and Man Soo Lee appeared to be one of the few Sox players or coaches intereacting with fans. The atmosphere was very businesslike.

I agree with both of you. You never will be able to change my opinion of the guy as far as being somewhat full of himself. I told my brother I had a Man Soo Lee story to tell over instant message. Before I told the story he said, OH NO! And something else that I will not say because well, it's not exactly a nice thing too say. I only say he's full of himself cause he goes up to folks who have no idea who he is and signs, whether they want it or not. That is not to take anything away from the guy. Geez, Man Soo was one of the lone bright spots when it came to personel interacting with the fans. I mean, I can be a bit full myself...I'm still a nice guy. I wasn't exactly putting down his character. Man Soo is full of himself. Someone back me up here. :smile:

TDog
05-20-2006, 03:39 AM
Kusyner--Coaches what might be the biggest trouble spot on the 2006 Sox. Hardnosed baseball lifer with a job to do...but I have NEVER seen him do anything that would construe him as an ass.

Art Kusnyer is a guy you don't mess with, but he is a good guy, a team guy. He also works in an area where players are most vulnerable to fan abuse.

IlliniSox4Life
05-20-2006, 03:50 AM
I agree with both of you. You never will be able to change my opinion of the guy as far as being somewhat full of himself. I told my brother I had a Man Soo Lee story to tell over instant message. Before I told the story he said, OH NO! And something else that I will not say because well, it's not exactly a nice thing too say. I only say he's full of himself cause he goes up to folks who have no idea who he is and signs, whether they want it or not. That is not to take anything away from the guy. Geez, Man Soo was one of the lone bright spots when it came to personel interacting with the fans. I mean, I can be a bit full myself...I'm still a nice guy. I wasn't exactly putting down his character. Man Soo is full of himself. Someone back me up here. :smile:

While I don't have any interaction with him myself, I will say that everything I have observed of him and have heard from others leaves me to believe he is just a very friendly and outgoing personality. I could see how going up and talking to people and signing things when not necesarily asked could be taken as 'full of himself', but if you think about it anybody in professional sports who is full of themselves NEVER signs anything. They know you know who they are and think they are too good to interact with you and don't - it's never that they think they are so cool that you want their autograph so they give it to you right away.

TheKittle
05-20-2006, 05:06 AM
I agree with both of you. You never will be able to change my opinion of the guy as far as being somewhat full of himself. I told my brother I had a Man Soo Lee story to tell over instant message. Before I told the story he said, OH NO! And something else that I will not say because well, it's not exactly a nice thing too say. I only say he's full of himself cause he goes up to folks who have no idea who he is and signs, whether they want it or not.:smile:

Unless you were right there how the hell do you know if they people asked him for his autograph or not? Lots of time eye contact or Lee seeing somebody's ball or whatever other thing they people have him sign, is all that's needed for somebody to get an autograph. To say he's full of himself is way off the mark.