PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Second Place, Detroit Tigers

Pages : [1] 2

ondafarm
05-19-2006, 08:51 PM
The Reds defeated the Tigers tonight and dropped them into second place.

Even though they have the identical record to the White Sox, the Tigers are clearly in place because

a) head to head Sox 3-0 over the Tigers

b) C comes before D

Way to go RedLegs!

How about a rematch of the 1919 WS, we'll play to win this time.

Remove tongue from cheek now!

chidonez
05-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Ah, you beat me. Then again, it was clear they were going down for most of the game.

ondafarm
05-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Better call Tigerclaw. The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

cheeses_h_rice
05-19-2006, 09:09 PM
I'll just post and say "nice" before I get called again as a troll.

:)

FarWestChicago
05-19-2006, 09:11 PM
You suck, Farm. Any real WSI member knows the season is already over. The Murder City Kitties are the greatest team in the history of all sports. Credibility Shrinkng.

oeo
05-19-2006, 09:13 PM
You suck, Farm. Any real WSI member knows the season is already over. The Murder City Kitties are the greatest team in the history of all sports. Credibility Shrinkng.

Where's MERPER? We'll never regain first!

ondafarm
05-19-2006, 09:17 PM

Thanks West, I like you too.

ondafarm
05-19-2006, 09:19 PM
I'll just post and say "nice" before I get called again as a troll.

:)

To which I'll say "Happy Holidays!"

(Inside joke.)

Lip Man 1
05-19-2006, 09:19 PM
And let's hope they STAY there...

Lip

samram
05-19-2006, 11:25 PM
How about a rematch of the 1919 WS, we'll play to win this time.

Uh, yeah. Bring them on, please. The only chance they'd have is if Arnold Rothstein rose from the dead.

chisoxmike
05-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Actually tied for first but ok.

TDog
05-19-2006, 11:46 PM
In baseball they play tie games off. Only inferior sports have tie breakers.

ondafarm
05-19-2006, 11:55 PM
In baseball they play tie games off. Only inferior sports have tie breakers.

Yes, but in the case two teams are tied, one must be chosen to host the game(s.) The first decider for that is head-to-head record. The White Sox have swept the three games against the Detroit Tigers.

TDog
05-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Yes, but in the case two teams are tied, one must be chosen to host the game(s.) The first decider for that is head-to-head record. The White Sox have swept the three games against the Detroit Tigers.

And the sweep came in Detroit. The only game the Sox lost last October was in Chicago.

getonbckthr
05-20-2006, 02:47 AM
detropit sucks.

Mr. White Sox
05-20-2006, 03:08 AM
detropit sucks.

They suck so much they don't even deserve to have their city spelled correctly. Stupid Detropit Tiegres.

ondafarm
05-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Tigers now solidly in second place.

Note to cheeses, sky is falling, sky is falling!!!!!!

CHISOXFAN13
05-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Griffey just hit a slam with two outs in the seventh to give Cincy a 6-5 lead.

Meanwhile, the Tribe trails Pittsburgh 8-5 in the 6th.

Chips
05-20-2006, 08:26 PM
They suck so much they don't even deserve to have their city spelled correctly. Stupid Detropit Tiegres.

I think that P is there to emphasize that Detroit is an armpit.

oeo
05-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Granderson hits a solo shot to tie it up at 6 with 2 outs in the 9th. I-Roid grounds out, it's going to extras.

hawkjt
05-20-2006, 09:55 PM
The problem is that the sox have played basically the same schedule.

The sox have played the division and tampa,angels,seattle,toronto,and the cubs. Not exactly murderers row cept for the jays and tigers and indians.

this should be tight to the end.

TDog
05-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Has anyone noticed how excited the media is over the success of the Tigers? Not that they shouldn't be, in that a surprise/underdog/overachieving team is a great story.

I just don't remember people being that excited about the Sox a year ago at this time.

Steelrod
05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Has anyone noticed how excited the media is over the success of the Tigers? Not that they shouldn't be, in that a surprise/underdog/overachieving team is a great story.

I just don't remember people being that excited about the Sox a year ago at this time.
Hard for you to remember anything in the frozen tundra!

ondafarm
05-24-2006, 06:02 PM
The problem is that the sox have played basically the same schedule.

The sox have played the division and tampa,angels,seattle,toronto,and the cubs. Not exactly murderers row cept for the jays and tigers and indians.

this should be tight to the end.

The only +500 team that the Tigers have beaten is Texas, who are 1 game over 500. They are 3-1 against them.

The Sox have beaten the Jays, 2-1 and the Tigers 3-0.

Both teams have done two series west coast trips and have another to go.

The Tigers have not beaten any top-flight pitchers except Santana.

The Sox have beaten several so far.

When the Tigers start facing primo pitching, they will find the sledding tougher.

SoxEd
05-24-2006, 06:10 PM

Well, after last year, when they flat-out ignored the Best Team in Baseball for the whole Season, writing them off as a falsh in the pan until they went 11-1 in the Post Season...
:roflmao:

I think it fair to say that even the gentlemen of the Sports Media's Punditry Divisions have the intelligence to realise that, if they were to repeat that same mistake this year, the public will see past their smoke-and-mirrors and realise what's behind the curtain.

Actually, I'm glad they're focussing on the Tiggers - it takes the spotlight off us, and maybe keeps our guys hungry for recognition for their sporting excellence.

Oh man, I'm on real Pollyanna form tonight - what have I been eating today?

ondafarm
05-25-2006, 09:41 PM
The Tigers average victory this year has come against a .403 team. They have played two teams that are exactly .500, Texas and Cleveland and the one team they have played that is over .500 has swept them.

The Sox have played one 500 club and two over 500 clubs. We are 5-1 against over 500 teams.

The Tigers have a good team, not a great team. They have neither the pitching nor the ability to win small ball games, both of which will catch up to them.

Oblong
05-25-2006, 10:48 PM
One team has a winning percentage over .700.

:bandance:

Go Tigers.

The Tigers are just a Jim Thome injury away from running away with the division.

ilsox7
05-25-2006, 10:57 PM
One team has a winning percentage over .700.

Go Tigers.

The Tigers are just a Jim Thome injury away from running away with the division.

And the Sox are just a Mike Maroth, Nate Robertson, and Kenny Rogers return to their career averages from running far away from the Tigers. Leave troll.

Oblong
05-25-2006, 11:04 PM
You sure have thin skin. Is this a closed club? It's funny, all the things you are saying about the Tigers were said about the White Sox last year. What were you saying then?

I'm glad the Sox won last year. They deserved it. I like it when the best team all year wins the WS rather than a team that gets hot for a week or so.

The Jim Thome comment wasn't meant to be a criticism. The guy just scares the crap out of me every time he bats. I'd walk him with the bases loaded.

I was told there was a game thread here on the Tigers and Royals so I decided to check it out. I see lots of references to the Tigers and how much they suck which doesn't really say a lot about baseball knowledge. Granted it's been a bad team for a long time but I would expect White Sox fans of any in baseball to understand taht sometimes teams get it all together at the right time.

But if this is not that kind of place then I won't stick around, don't worry. I'm not intending to be a troll. Just some friendly banter.

ilsox7
05-25-2006, 11:13 PM
You sure have thin skin. Is this a closed club? It's funny, all the things you are saying about the Tigers were said about the White Sox last year. What were you saying then?

I'm glad the Sox won last year. They deserved it. I like it when the best team all year wins the WS rather than a team that gets hot for a week or so.

The Jim Thome comment wasn't meant to be a criticism. The guy just scares the crap out of me every time he bats. I'd walk him with the bases loaded.

I was told there was a game thread here on the Tigers and Royals so I decided to check it out. I see lots of references to the Tigers and how much they suck which doesn't really say a lot about baseball knowledge. Granted it's been a bad team for a long time but I would expect White Sox fans of any in baseball to understand taht sometimes teams get it all together at the right time.

But if this is not that kind of place then I won't stick around, don't worry. I'm not intending to be a troll. Just some friendly banter.
It's not a closed club at all, but it is a club that requires some thought behind the posts. And your 1st post had no thought and came off as trolling.

And most people here are not saying the Tigers suck. In fact, most here (myself included) say they are a solid team. But to compare them to the Sox last year is not a good comparison. Last year during the first half, most people talked incessantly about Jon Garland and how much better he was than his career averages. At the time, Jon's ERA was a run or so better than his career average. Also, Contreras sucked during the first half. Who else grossly overachieved in our rotation? As of this week, Maroth was about 2.5 runs better than his career ERA and Robertson was about 1.5 runs better. Throw in Kenny Rogers falling on his face the last couple of years after the All-Star Break and an intelligent baseball fan would say the Tigers have some pretty big question marks with 60% of their rotation.

If anything, the Tigers should be a little worried. They've won, what, 12 out of 13 and can manage only a 1.5 game lead? Not to mention the Sox have not really played well the last few weeks. It;s been said before and will be said again, but it's May. Way too early for checking the standings on a daily basis.

And if you didn't think your first post was trolling, go take another look at it. You come on here and brag the Tigers are playing over .700 baseball (and a mighty 1/5 game lead) and then talk of a Thome injury.

chisoxmike
05-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Face it folks, the Tigers are here to stay. The better team will win at the end of the season. Hopefully the crown stays on the South Side!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Chips
05-25-2006, 11:18 PM

Except the Sox can win games when Thome goes 0 for 4 with 2 K's. A horrible first post.

MrRoboto83
05-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Except the Sox can win games when Thome goes 0 for 4 with 2 K's. A horrible first post.

What inspires these trolls to post? No one is going to agree with that crap here. I'm not liking Tiger fans.

ondafarm
05-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Face it folks, the Tigers are here to stay. The better team will win at the end of the season. Hopefully the crown stays on the South Side!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

If you play .403 teams and if you are not over .600 then you are not a good team.

The Tigers are a good team, not a .700 or a great team. They remind me of the 2000 White Sox, winning more by clubbing the opposition than playing good small ball. They've folded when faced with good right-handed pitching. They've feasted on Cleveland, KC and the Twins. Those three teams account for over half their wins. The Sox have played fewer games against these weak sisters.

Chisox003
It's not a closed club at all, but it is a club that requires some thought behind the posts. And your 1st post had no thought and came off as trolling.

And most people here are not saying the Tigers suck. In fact, most here (myself included) say they are a solid team. But to compare them to the Sox last year is not a good comparison. Last year during the first half, most people talked incessantly about Jon Garland and how much better he was than his career averages. At the time, Jon's ERA was a run or so better than his career average. Also, Contreras sucked during the first half. Who else grossly overachieved in our rotation? As of this week, Maroth was about 2.5 runs better than his career ERA and Robertson was about 1.5 runs better. Throw in Kenny Rogers falling on his face the last couple of years after the All-Star Break and an intelligent baseball fan would say the Tigers have some pretty big question marks with 60% of their rotation.

If anything, the Tigers should be a little worried. They've won, what, 12 out of 13 and can manage only a 1.5 game lead? Not to mention the Sox have not really played well the last few weeks. It;s been said before and will be said again, but it's May. Way too early for checking the standings on a daily basis.

And if you didn't think your first post was trolling, go take another look at it. You come on here and brag the Tigers are playing over .700 baseball (and a mighty 1/5 game lead) and then talk of a Thome injury. I believe they've actually won 14 of 15.

Meh, neither here nor there. They're a solid club, no doubt, and that batting order and bullpen are very, very good. The starting pitching will be their downfall. Of that I have no doubt.

ilsox7
What inspires these trolls to post? No one is going to agree with that crap here. I'm not liking Tiger fans.
I am sure there are plenty of good Tiger fans. And this guy may be one of them, too. But you just don't go into someone else's house and rip on their furniture and wall hangings with nothing to back yourself up. Especially when your own furniture and wall hangings have been stuck in the 60's for so long.

Oblong
05-25-2006, 11:31 PM
It's a thread that said "Welcome to second place" and I was just offering a reminder that indeed the Detroit ball club is in first place. I figured it was a good place to start.

I'm not worried about Rogers because he won't be playing this season in unbearable heat like he was in Texas. Maroth and Robertson have had good stuff their whole careers. Verlander will be rookie of the Year. They finally have a defense behind them and some bullpen help to preserve their runners when they leave the game. Last year the Cleveland guys said Robertson was the toughest pitcher they faced all season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a 100 win season. I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. Before the season I said I'd be very happy with a meaningful game in September. A .500 record the rest of the way is 91 wins. That won't make the playoffs.

I can't wait for the next 2 weeks to really get an idea for how this division will play out this year. I'm sick of the AL East getting all the attention. Even in the central it was always the Twins and Indians getting the attention. The AL Central is the best in baseball. The Tigers and Sox are battling for the best record in baseball. God Bless the Royals. I feel for Buddy Bell. A good baseball man like that doesn't deserve that record.

spiffie
05-25-2006, 11:39 PM
If you play .403 teams and if you are not over .600 then you are not a good team.

The Tigers are a good team, not a .700 or a great team. They remind me of the 2000 White Sox, winning more by clubbing the opposition than playing good small ball. They've folded when faced with good right-handed pitching. They've feasted on Cleveland, KC and the Twins. Those three teams account for over half their wins. The Sox have played fewer games against these weak sisters.
White Sox record vs KC, CLE, MIN = 13 - 8
Detroit vs KC, CLE, MIN = 20 - 4

So they've had three more games against them.

Interesting also to see what's happened against pitchers who we would consider to be "good" pitchers:
4/8 - W vs. Kevin Millwood (2005 AL ERA leader)
4/10, 11, 13 - L vs. Garcia, Contreras, Garland
4/20 - W vs Barry Zito
5/13 - W vs Sabathia
5/17 - W vs Santana

Now before anyone accuses me of pissing my pants in fear or any of that crap, out of all that the biggest one is the 4/10-13 line. I don't fear Detroit. But I do think in the end we're the ones who have to beat this team. They won't suddenly careen to a .500 record or anything of that ilk. It's our division, they want to take it from us, and we are the ones who will have to stop that from happening.

Of course hopefully I'll be proven wrong and they'll lose every game for the next 3 weeks. But I doubt it.

MrRoboto83
05-25-2006, 11:44 PM
I am sure there are plenty of good Tiger fans. And this guy may be one of them, too. But you just don't go into someone else's house and rip on their furniture and wall hangings with nothing to back yourself up. Especially when your own furniture and wall hangings have been stuck in the 60's for so long.

Nicely put!

chisoxmike
05-25-2006, 11:46 PM
It's a thread that said "Welcome to second place" and I was just offering a reminder that indeed the Detroit ball club is in first place. I figured it was a good place to start.

Look at the date the thread was started. Also, the thread was started in responce to someone's thread that stated "Welcome to second place, population us."

I think the Tigers are a good team, much improved. You're right, everyone was saying "the White Sox are just hot right now, they will fall." last year. We'll see about the Tigers. For your sake, hope Kenny Rogers keeps his head on straight all season, he's a Sox killer.

:dtroll:

ilsox7
05-25-2006, 11:49 PM

Take notice of the date when that was posted. We know Detroit's in 1st. But as most baseball would say, standings mean jack-**** until June 1 at the earliest. Y'all take care of your business, we'll take care of ours, and we'll battle it out in the field. Where, of course, we have a 3-0 advantage thus far. And if you're banking on Kenny being better b/c it's not as hot in Detroit, then I'd also suggest keeping photographers away from him.

MrRoboto83
05-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a 100 win season. I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. Before the season I said I'd be very happy with a meaningful game in September. A .500 record the rest of the way is 91 wins. That won't make the playoffs.

I can't wait for the next 2 weeks to really get an idea for how this division will play out this year..

91 wins could very well get the Tigers, Indians, Red Sox, Yankees, Jays into the playoffs as a wild card. The more great teams in the league, the lower the win totals are going to be.

The next 2 weeks are not going to say much on the outcome of the division, there is still over 2/3 of the season to play, anything could happen. The White Sox had over a 10 game lead on Cleveland last year, and they came back. Did the White Sox choke? no, Cleveland just won every game in site, kinda like the Tigers are doing right now. August is always the month I start looking at the standings a little closer.

tstrike2000
05-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I think the Tigers are a good team, much improved. You're right, everyone was saying "the White Sox are just hot right now, they will fall." last year. We'll see about the Tigers. For your sake, hope Kenny Rogers keeps his head on straight all season, he's a Sox killer.

You're right, Tigers have a solid core group of hitters, defense and bullpen. However, like many have said, I think they are a good team not a great team. The '84 Tigers started 35-5 and then played .500 ball the rest of the way and this team is not as good as the '84 Tigers. The fact they've beat up on Minnesota, Royals, and Cleveland is a good example of that based on how those teams are playing. They will settle down and the best team will come out the winner. The Sox have so many ways to beat you and the statement someone made that we can still win when Thome goes 0-4 is exactly right.

ondafarm
05-26-2006, 10:37 AM
. . . Interesting also to see what's happened against pitchers who we would consider to be "good" pitchers:
4/8 - W vs. Kevin Millwood (2005 AL ERA leader)
4/10, 11, 13 - L vs. Garcia, Contreras, Garland
4/20 - W vs Barry Zito
5/13 - W vs Sabathia
5/17 - W vs Santana . . .

While Milwood was the AL ERA leader last year, he was 9-11 and his ERA has balooned this year to 4.88, he's hardly the dominating pitcher.

Detroit did not beat Zito, in fact they were losing 3-1 to him in the ninth when Duchscherer (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=407113) blew the save.

Santana was blanking the Tigers until the eight when his pitch count was above 110 and the moron manager left him in to finish it out.

The Tiger line-up is right handed power heavy. I never said they couldn't beat lefties, even good lefties.

Throw good righties at them and they struggle.

The Tigers are 11th in walks, 12th in sac flies and 10nth in stolen bases. They are 5th in grounding into double plays (the Sox are dead last.) All of those weaken you in small ball victories.

The Tigers are like the 2000 Sox, who won the division but couldn't advance.

spiffie
05-26-2006, 11:17 AM
While Milwood was the AL ERA leader last year, he was 9-11 and his ERA has balooned this year to 4.88, he's hardly the dominating pitcher.

Detroit did not beat Zito, in fact they were losing 3-1 to him in the ninth when Duchscherer (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=407113) blew the save.

Santana was blanking the Tigers until the eight when his pitch count was above 110 and the moron manager left him in to finish it out.

The Tiger line-up is right handed power heavy. I never said they couldn't beat lefties, even good lefties.

Throw good righties at them and they struggle.

The Tigers are 11th in walks, 12th in sac flies and 10nth in stolen bases. They are 5th in grounding into double plays (the Sox are dead last.) All of those weaken you in small ball victories.

The Tigers are like the 2000 Sox, who won the division but couldn't advance.
First, I should have been more clear, I was responding along with points in your quote to a point made earlier about that the Tigers have been lucky in terms of how their opponents have had their rotations set, hence the part about facing Zito, Santana, etc.

The smallball stats don't strike me as relatively important, save for the walk stat. Teams have done well without making use of many SBs or Sac Flies. We use them heavily and it works well for us, but that's just one approach. The lack of walks however may come up to bite them.

The last part of the quote is the most important to me. It moves the argument from "will the Tigers end the year above .500" to "what would their playoff chances be if they make it?" And I tend to agree with you on that point actually. My argument the whole time has been that it seems like wishful thinking to dismiss this team as unable to contend or that their success is entirely due to quality of opposition (something which no one seems to think is at all responsible for our gaudy record). Maybe it just annoys me because we sound a lot like the folks we were all annoyed by last year who called us flukes and kept waiting for our collapse.

ondafarm
05-26-2006, 12:30 PM
First, I should have been more clear, I was responding along with points in your quote to a point made earlier about that the Tigers have been lucky in terms of how their opponents have had their rotations set, hence the part about facing Zito, Santana, etc.

The smallball stats don't strike me as relatively important, save for the walk stat. Teams have done well without making use of many SBs or Sac Flies. We use them heavily and it works well for us, but that's just one approach. The lack of walks however may come up to bite them.

The last part of the quote is the most important to me. It moves the argument from "will the Tigers end the year above .500" to "what would their playoff chances be if they make it?" And I tend to agree with you on that point actually. My argument the whole time has been that it seems like wishful thinking to dismiss this team as unable to contend or that their success is entirely due to quality of opposition (something which no one seems to think is at all responsible for our gaudy record). Maybe it just annoys me because we sound a lot like the folks we were all annoyed by last year who called us flukes and kept waiting for our collapse.

Fair enough. I was picking the Tigers to be contending this year for the division title, but I have always held that the Sox will win it.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Not taking anything away from the Tigers, who also remind me (like ondafarm) of the 2000 White Sox: decent pitching, amazing right-handed hitting (especially doubles hitters) and a good enough bullpen. I believe the Sox will win the division over the Tigers.

First, there are a ton of strong teams in the American League, so there's no easy road for any AL club. Second, Detroit's schedule is almost exactly the same as ours, even in interleague play. Both team get the Astros and Cardinals at home and Pittsburgh on the road. We get the Reds in Cincy, they got the Reds at home. They travel to face the Cubs and Brewers; we have six with the Cubs (advantage, Sox! :tongue:).

I'm confident that even if the Tigers continue playing this well for the rest of the season, the Sox can take at least 10 of the 16 remaining head-to-head games, meaning that the Sox would pick up four games. However, I believe the Sox can and will do better than that, perhaps going 11-5 (six game boost) or 12-4 (eight games).

At this point, I predcit the Sox take the division and the Tigers take the Wild Card.

Oblong
05-27-2006, 02:50 AM
You're right, Tigers have a solid core group of hitters, defense and bullpen. However, like many have said, I think they are a good team not a great team. The '84 Tigers started 35-5 and then played .500 ball the rest of the way and this team is not as good as the '84 Tigers. The fact they've beat up on Minnesota, Royals, and Cleveland is a good example of that based on how those teams are playing. They will settle down and the best team will come out the winner. The Sox have so many ways to beat you and the statement someone made that we can still win when Thome goes 0-4 is exactly right.

That's a common myth about the 84 Tigers that needs to be cleared up.

After the 35-5 start they went 69-53. That's prorates to a 92 win season, which would have tied them with San Diego behind the Cubs for the best record in baseball.

As for your second points.... time will tell I guess. We're 13-7 against non Central teams. That's why we play the games. If we played it on paper then the White Sox wouldn't have that trophy for last year.

FloridaTigers
05-27-2006, 08:57 PM

I like the way this Sox fan thinks. Frankly, as soon as this topic began, the White Sox slowly started dropping and the Tigers were rising. Will it last? Probably not, I expect a very close division race to the end. All I hear is how you guys want to be "under the radar" and play with a chip on your shoulder. The Tigers haven't even had a nationally televised game yet. We're still under the radar. If I remember correctly, the White Sox got a lot of praise from Baseball Tonight during 2005. We kept saying "Bah, its the Sox. They're bound to fall". "Haha, Sox are gonna come crashing down". They never did. I think its time for Sox fans to take the Tigers seriously. That Sox series came before Jim Leyland's tirade and the Motorcity Kitties are certainly a different team since then.

That being said, Jim Thome scares the hell out of me. He is the definition of Tiger Killer.

CHISOXFAN13
05-27-2006, 09:01 PM
I like the way this Sox fan thinks. Frankly, as soon as this topic began, the White Sox slowly started dropping and the Tigers were rising. Will it last? Probably not, I expect a very close division race to the end. All I hear is how you guys want to be "under the radar" and play with a chip on your shoulder. The Tigers haven't even had a nationally televised game yet. We're still under the radar. If I remember correctly, the White Sox got a lot of praise from Baseball Tonight during 2005. We kept saying "Bah, its the Sox. They're bound to fall". "Haha, Sox are gonna come crashing down". They never did. I think its time for Sox fans to take the Tigers seriously. That Sox series came before Jim Leyland's tirade and the Motorcity Kitties are certainly a different team since then.

That being said, Jim Thome scares the hell out of me. He is the definition of Tiger Killer.

I'm not exactly depressed about the Tigers putting Cleveland out of the race in May. I'll take my chances with the Tigers, though I think the Sox and Detroit will both make the playoffs.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Florida Tigers:

In fact the Sox got very little, if any, talk from ESPN. In fact during their preview show just before opening day last year in the five minutes devoted to the American League Central not one word was uttered about the White Sox.

None.

Not one player mentioned and the team wasn't mentioned in any respect.

The five minutes were spent totally devoted to the Tigers and Cleveland.

Lip

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-27-2006, 09:38 PM
ESPN is DROOLING over the tigers. Meh.

Yoda
05-27-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm not exactly depressed about the Tigers putting Cleveland out of the race in May. I'll take my chances with the Tigers, though I think the Sox and Detroit will both make the playoffs.

I agree with this. That would make for an extremely intense playoff series as well.

FloridaTigers
05-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Florida Tigers:

In fact the Sox got very little, if any, talk from ESPN. In fact during their preview show just before opening day last year in the five minutes devoted to the American League Central not one word was uttered about the White Sox.

None.

Not one player mentioned and the team wasn't mentioned in any respect.

The five minutes were spent totally devoted to the Tigers and Cleveland.

Lip

Why do you care what a bunch of people sitting around in a Connecticut office think? As long as your team keeps performing, who cares what John Kruk says.

tigersfan25
05-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Another one of these invading Tigers fans... I've always lurked here, and actually am originally from Joliet. I still have fights with family members over baseball. :D:

I may post occasionally as well.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Florida:

That was in response to your posts where you stated that the Sox got a lot of comment from ESPN last year.

In fact they did not, and when they did from folks like Jeff Brantley and Steve Phillips it was borderline personal insults. Both of those individuals apologized on the field to Ozzie last season after they made some harsh statements. Ozzie accepted Phillips' he brushed off Brantley.

I don't care what ESPN does or says, that's why I no longer watch. This was just to clarify your statement which was inaccurate.

Lip

tigersfan25
05-27-2006, 10:14 PM
ESPN blows... they treat America like we give a **** about every single Barry Bonds AB...

SOXSINCE'70
05-27-2006, 10:47 PM
ESPN blows... they treat America like we give a sh*t about every single Barry Bonds AB...

:DJ

"UH-OH!!"

****house in 3,2,1.

oeo
05-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Why do you care what a bunch of people sitting around in a Connecticut office think? As long as your team keeps performing, who cares what John Kruk says.

Because even though he's an idiot, people will still hear what he says and believe it. Sort of like reports that the South Side of Chicago sucks, the Cell sucks, and Sox fans are just a bunch of trailer trash pricks.

That's all other people around the country are going to hear about the Sox and they're probably going to go along and believe it. No one likes bad reporting of their team...

CLR01
05-27-2006, 11:01 PM
ESPN blows... they treat America like we give a **** about every single Barry Bonds AB...

Let the boards language filter do its job. Just type the word and the software will add the *'s. Next time you will get a few days off.

FloridaTigers
05-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Florida:

That was in response to your posts where you stated that the Sox got a lot of comment from ESPN last year.

In fact they did not, and when they did from folks like Jeff Brantley and Steve Phillips it was borderline personal insults. Both of those individuals apologized on the field to Ozzie last season after they made some harsh statements. Ozzie accepted Phillips' he brushed off Brantley.

I don't care what ESPN does or says, that's why I no longer watch. This was just to clarify your statement which was inaccurate.

Lip

But you said the 2005 Season Preview show, right? Why would they talk about the White Sox? No one expected them to bust out of the gate and dominate. Tigers didn't get much attention from BT until we finally took first place. I find it hard to believe ESPN didn't have an orgasm over the White Sox in 2005. I remember them being mentioned in positive statements many times last year.

santo=dorf
05-28-2006, 12:23 AM
I remember them being mentioned in positive statements many times last year.
Only after we blew away their precious Red Sox in the postseason, and they couldn't kiss the Yankees' asses in the ALCS.

You asked why would anyone think about the White Sox as a contender in 2005? Well gee let's see;
They finished in second place in 2004, 2003, 2002 and won the division in 2000.
Haven't had a losing season this century as opposed to a certain ball team that hasn't been above .500 since Prince Fielder weighed less than 200 pounds.
Had a solid rotation going into the season along with a full bullpen and a lineup good enough to manufacture the run when they needed it.

The 2005 division certainly didn't come down to the Indians and Tigers like Dmitri Young said so.

FloridaTigers
05-28-2006, 12:47 AM
We Tigers fans stopped listening to what Dmitri said a long time ago. To actually think fans of the other teams actually believed what he said is insane. At this point, Dmitri isn't in our immediate future. And by that, I mean tomorrow. We in Detroit want Dmitri out of here now.

tstrike2000
05-28-2006, 02:39 AM
That's a common myth about the 84 Tigers that needs to be cleared up.

After the 35-5 start they went 69-53. That's prorates to a 92 win season, which would have tied them with San Diego behind the Cubs for the best record in baseball.

As for your second points.... time will tell I guess. We're 13-7 against non Central teams. That's why we play the games. If we played it on paper then the White Sox wouldn't have that trophy for last year.

You're overanalyzing what I'm saying. The Tigers came down to Earth a bit after a hot start and played .500 ball a lot of the second half of the season. The point is is that this Tigers team is not as good as the '84 Tigers. I'm not talking about playing on paper, I'm talking about the team we've got and I'll take my chances against the Tigers with the team we've got.

Yoda
05-28-2006, 07:36 AM
You're overanalyzing what I'm saying. The Tigers came down to Earth a bit after a hot start and played .500 ball a lot of the second half of the season. The point is is that this Tigers team is not as good as the '84 Tigers. I'm not talking about playing on paper, I'm talking about the team we've got and I'll take my chances against the Tigers with the team we've got.

That's nice. You do that.

soxwon
05-28-2006, 08:28 AM
come on clev beat the tigers
this is getting ridiculous!!!

SBSoxFan
05-28-2006, 09:57 AM
I think its time for Sox fans to take the Tigers seriously.
I think you'll find the consensus here is that the Tigers are taken seriously, but that the Sox will prevail in the end. You are, however, free to have a different opinion. :D:

That Sox series came before Jim Leyland's tirade and the Motorcity Kitties are certainly a different team since then.
I'm glad, becasue that team was undefeated at the time!

SBSoxFan
05-28-2006, 09:57 AM
come on clev beat the tigers
this is getting ridiculous!!!

Cleveland downgraded their pitching in the off-season. No way they compete in this division.

Jjav829
05-28-2006, 11:13 AM
The Tigers will go away eventually. This is why you don't pay attention to standings in May. Weird things can happen in short periods of time. If the Tigers are still playing anywhere close to this in August, I'll be shocked. Consider this, last year on June 19th the Baltimore Orioles were 41-27. They went on to finish 74-88. Now I'm not going to predict that type of collapse for the Tigers. They have more talent than the Orioles did last year. But there's no way the Tigers will continue at this pace.

Here's why I think the Tigers will fall off:
- Kenny Rogers - 2004 Pre All Star: 12-3, 4.21 ERA. Post All Star: 6-6, 5.46 ERA. 2005 - Pre All Star: 10-4, 2.54 ERA. Post All Star: 4-4, 4.72 ERA. He's a first half pitcher. He's going to fall off.
- Justin Verlander - He's been great. He has great stuff. He will be a good-great pitcher for a long time. However, he's a rookie. He threw 130 innings last year. He's on pace for 217 innings. Recent history suggests that young pitchers who have increases of 80+ innings have a chance of developing some type of arm problem. The Tigers would be crazy to take that kind of chance with this kid. In 2002, Mark Prior pitched 133 innings. In 2003, he pitched 211.1 innings. In 2004 he suffered through arm problems and pitched just 131 innings. He hasn't been the same since that increase. That's just one example, but there are more.
- I hate to play the "they haven't played anybody" card, but the Tigers have won 8 games against the Royals and 7 against the Twins. Now you could say that the Sox have played basically the same schedule. You could ask where all the good teams are that the Tigers still have to face. Well, for one, us. They have 16 games left against us.

Their offense is for real, but I have serious doubts about their pitching continuing to perform at this level.

Tigerslover
05-28-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm glad, becasue that team was undefeated at the time!
No they weren't, they were 7-6 at the time of Leyland's rant.

tigersfan25
05-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Let the boards language filter do its job. Just type the word and the software will add the *'s. Next time you will get a few days off.
My bad. I didn't mean to do this.

FloridaTigers
05-28-2006, 01:23 PM
The Tigers will go away eventually. This is why you don't pay attention to standings in May. Weird things can happen in short periods of time. If the Tigers are still playing anywhere close to this in August, I'll be shocked. Consider this, last year on June 19th the Baltimore Orioles were 41-27. They went on to finish 74-88. Now I'm not going to predict that type of collapse for the Tigers. They have more talent than the Orioles did last year. But there's no way the Tigers will continue at this pace.

- Kenny Rogers - 2004 Pre All Star: 12-3, 4.21 ERA. Post All Star: 6-6, 5.46 ERA. 2005 - Pre All Star: 10-4, 2.54 ERA. Post All Star: 4-4, 4.72 ERA. He's a first half pitcher. He's going to fall off.
- Justin Verlander - He's been great. He has great stuff. He will be a good-great pitcher for a long time. However, he's a rookie. He threw 130 innings last year. He's on pace for 217 innings. Recent history suggests that young pitchers who have increases of 80+ innings have a chance of developing some type of arm problem. The Tigers would be crazy to take that kind of chance with this kid. In 2002, Mark Prior pitched 133 innings. In 2003, he pitched 211.1 innings. In 2004 he suffered through arm problems and pitched just 131 innings. He hasn't been the same since that increase. That's just one example, but there are more.
- I hate to play the "they haven't played anybody" card, but the Tigers have won 8 games against the Royals and 7 against the Twins. Now you could say that the Sox have played basically the same schedule. You could ask where all the good teams are that the Tigers still have to face. Well, for one, us. They have 16 games left against us.

Their offense is for real, but I have serious doubts about their pitching continuing to perform at this level.

Woah. Don't put down the "They haven't played nobody". We've played Texas and Oakland, who are battling for the top spot in the AL West, we've owned the Twins and Indians, who were supposed to be better then us this year, and maybe the Royals are just so terrible because they played us 8 times?

ilsox7
05-28-2006, 02:15 PM
No they weren't, they were 7-6 at the time of Leyland's rant.
Uh, he was talking about when we came to Detroit and swept you guys.

Tigerslover
05-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Ah I see that now. Still weren't unbeaten though. We had dropped our first game the day before against the Rangers.

CLR01
05-28-2006, 02:34 PM
The Kitten trolls are really coming out of the woodwork the last few days.
:nuts:

Hitmen77
05-28-2006, 04:35 PM
But you said the 2005 Season Preview show, right? Why would they talk about the White Sox? No one expected them to bust out of the gate and dominate. Tigers didn't get much attention from BT until we finally took first place. I find it hard to believe ESPN didn't have an orgasm over the White Sox in 2005. I remember them being mentioned in positive statements many times last year.

It probably wasn't on your radar screen last year, but ESPN hated what the Sox were doing. If you don't believe me find a video of the ALDS against the beloved Red Sox. Game 2: Ground ball to Grafannino.....OHHHH NOOOOO!!!!! Everybody's safe! :whiner: . End of game 3 after the final out: And the Red Sox dream of repeating is over. Congratulations to a great season by the Boston Red Sox...... They mentioned this before even mentioning the White Sox! It was pathetic. I think there were documented instances of them referring to Boston as "we" during the telecast.

During the regular season, the White Sox were ignored and when ESPN did talk about them, they were dismissed as a "fluke" who only has played bad team.

....by the way, that's why I DO NOT believe in making the same ignorant comments about the Tigers. If this is really true then we'll find out as the games play themselves out over the summer. Meanwhile, the Tigers are winning a ton of games. I tip my cap to them. The Sox have played bad fundamentals of late and we're getting (2nd place for now) what we deserve.

In the end I really believe that stiff competition from Detroit and/or Cleveland will help the Sox if they make the playoffs

ilsox7
05-28-2006, 06:45 PM

In their defense, they have not seen 7 good weeks of baseball in over 2 decades.

tstrike2000
05-28-2006, 10:36 PM

Couldn't have said what you did any better.

Jjav829
05-28-2006, 10:54 PM

Yeah, they'll eventually fade away...

...just like their team. :D:

SBSoxFan
05-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Ah I see that now. Still weren't unbeaten though. We had dropped our first game the day before against the Rangers.

Oh, that's right! :redface:

FloridaTigers
05-29-2006, 11:53 AM
It probably wasn't on your radar screen last year, but ESPN hated what the Sox were doing. If you don't believe me find a video of the ALDS against the beloved Red Sox. Game 2: Ground ball to Grafannino.....OHHHH NOOOOO!!!!! Everybody's safe! :whiner: . End of game 3 after the final out: And the Red Sox dream of repeating is over. Congratulations to a great season by the Boston Red Sox...... They mentioned this before even mentioning the White Sox! It was pathetic. I think there were documented instances of them referring to Boston as "we" during the telecast.

During the regular season, the White Sox were ignored and when ESPN did talk about them, they were dismissed as a "fluke" who only has played bad team.

....by the way, that's why I DO NOT believe in making the same ignorant comments about the Tigers. If this is really true then we'll find out as the games play themselves out over the summer. Meanwhile, the Tigers are winning a ton of games. I tip my cap to them. The Sox have played bad fundamentals of late and we're getting (2nd place for now) what we deserve.

In the end I really believe that stiff competition from Detroit and/or Cleveland will help the Sox if they make the playoffs

The Red Sox are the golden child of ESPN. It would've been against any team if they faced the Red Sox. Had it been...the Rangers or even the Tigers, ESPN would've gone "NOOOO!".

"During the regular season, the White Sox were ignored and when ESPN did talk about them, they were dismissed as a "fluke" who only has played bad team."

Hmm...sounds like what a lot of White Sox fans on this board are saying about the Tigers...:smile:

In my defense, I'm not a troll. I haven't started any topics based soley on the hatred of a team.

rookie
05-29-2006, 05:56 PM

Detriot can be the little bro tagging along if it wants to, as long as we win the division. Detriot keeping things interesting doesn't worry me, having an August/September that we had last year - that is what scares me. I'd rather have them close by (but not too close) the whole season, than the near heart attacks down the home stretch last year.

Hitmen77
05-29-2006, 09:13 PM
..."During the regular season, the White Sox were ignored and when ESPN did talk about them, they were dismissed as a "fluke" who only has played bad team."

Hmm...sounds like what a lot of White Sox fans on this board are saying about the Tigers...:smile:

In my defense, I'm not a troll. I haven't started any topics based soley on the hatred of a team.

I agree. That's why I also said:

....by the way, that's why I DO NOT believe in making the same ignorant comments about the Tigers. If this is really true then we'll find out as the games play themselves out over the summer. Meanwhile, the Tigers are winning a ton of games. I tip my cap to them.

I have to admit that my fellow WSIers who are taking this stance are being a bit hypocritical. How quickly we forget how we felt last year when people told us the Sox were a fluke (reminder -->:angry: ).

tigersfan25
05-29-2006, 09:33 PM
I hope you aren't talking about me. I merely come for intelligent baseball talk, none of this "my team is better than yours" crap.

Tigerclaw
05-29-2006, 10:30 PM
I hope you aren't talking about me. I merely come for intelligent baseball talk, none of this "my team is better than yours" crap.

Any member here that roots for another team will be considered a troll by some...I have been called a troll already a few times and have done nothing to bash the White Sox or their fans and only produce arguments in defense of the Tigers...Most people have been reasonable and the discussion has been very good, this is a very good message board.

beckett21
05-29-2006, 10:40 PM
None of the Tiger fans I've seen thus far have been trolling, from what I have seen. Great to have some new opposing viewpoints on the board.

It's just kind of ironic because before the Tigers' recent resurgence there were really no Tiger fans at all on the board to speak of, at least for the time that I have been here. Now you guys are popping up all over the place. :redneck

Just remember that this board is a safe-haven for Sox fans. Steer clear of name-calling, develop a little bit of a thick skin, and you should be fine. Welcome.

Frankfan4life
05-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Any member here that roots for another team will be considered a troll by some...I have been called a troll already a few times and have done nothing to bash the White Sox or their fans and only produce arguments in defense of the Tigers...Most people have been reasonable and the discussion has been very good, this is a very good message board.I don't have a problem talking to Tigers fans, especially now that we're locked into a real heck of a battle. You guys should be happy about how well your team is playing. I'm hoping it's a fluke but only time will tell. In the meantime, the only thing the Sox can do is keep playing well and let the Tigers, and every other team, do whatever they're going to do.

Edit: You are right. It is a very good message board.

Tigerclaw
05-29-2006, 10:49 PM
None of the Tiger fans I've seen thus far have been trolling, from what I have seen. Great to have some new opposing viewpoints on the board.

It's just kind of ironic because before the Tigers' recent resurgence there were really no Tiger fans at all on the board to speak of, at least for the time that I have been here. Now you guys are popping up all over the place. :redneck

Just remember that this board is a safe-haven for Sox fans. Steer clear of name-calling, develop a little bit of a thick skin, and you should be fine. Welcome.

Haha, well...I have been a lurker on this website for a couple of years now and there weren't very many threads about the Tigers on here because they have been irrelevant for so long. Now that there is discussion about the Tigers on this board I have felt the urge to participate.

beckett21
05-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Haha, well...I have been a lurker on this website for a couple of years now and there weren't very many threads about the Tigers on here because they have been irrelevant for so long. Now that there is discussion about the Tigers on this board I have felt the urge to participate.

I'd be excited if I were a Tigers fan too. Must be nice to finally have something to be happy about.

Although you still live in Detroit...:redneck

My wife is from Toledo, so I can somewhat relate. :D:

Unregistered
05-29-2006, 10:55 PM

More like expected and obvious. Hell, we even had Royals fans on here talking about how it was their year in 2003. We had Jndians fans on here last year (and they'll probably be back if they show any signs of life) and Twinkies fans the previous years, so it's no shock.

I'm sure, however, that just like the fans of the other teams, none of these new additions to our board will be around if the Tigers tank. All of the sudden they won't feel like "having an intelligent discussion about baseball." :cool:

beckett21
05-29-2006, 10:57 PM
More like expected and obvious. Hell, we even had Royals fans on here talking about how it was their year in 2003. We had Jndians fans on here last year (and they'll probably be back if they show any signs of life) and Twinkies fans the previous years, so it's no shock.

I'm sure, however, that just like the fans of the other teams, none of these new additions to our board will be around if the Tigers tank. All of the sudden they won't feel like "having an intelligent discussion about baseball." :cool:

:redneck

CLR01
05-29-2006, 10:58 PM

Relax. We like to keep our share of pet trolls around here. Most of the ALC is represtended here by at least one member (we have tried offering money to get a Royals troll here but we have found no takers) and they are all welcome. We also have many members who root for other teams sprinkled throughout the league (one of the Red Sox trolls just won't leave). Consider it a term of endearment. None of you have done anything to get banned and you are all welcomed to stay as long as you follow the board policy. Your opinions are welcomed here just don't expect many people to agree with them. :smile:

Tigerclaw
05-29-2006, 11:02 PM

Expect some intelligent discussions for awhile then...:wink:

Jjav829
05-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Relax. We like to keep our share of pet trolls around here. Most of the ALC is represtended here by at least one member (we have tried offering money to get a Royals troll here but we have found no takers) and they are all welcome. We also have many members who root for other teams sprinkled throughout the league (one of the Red Sox trolls just won't leave). Consider it a term of endearment. None of you have done anything to get banned and you are all welcomed to stay as long as you follow the board policy. Your opinions are welcomed here just don't expect many people to agree with them. :smile:

Yes, Tigers fans, you shouldn't be offended by CLR calling you a troll. He likes to troll the Bears threads himself. :dtroll:

CLR01
05-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Expect some intelligent discussions for awhile then...:wink:

A week or two? :tongue:

Yes, Tigers fans, you shouldn't be offended by CLR calling you a troll. He likes to troll the Bears threads himself. :dtroll:

I would never troll a Bears thread.

beckett21
05-29-2006, 11:15 PM
I would never troll a Bears thread.

:rolling:

I know you couldn't type that with a straight face. :D:

CLR01
05-29-2006, 11:27 PM

I know you couldn't type that with a straight face. :D:

What's so funny?

It's true, I don't troll Bears threads I just give Bears fans a realist view of their team. I don't like to do it but god knows a Big Cub fan wouldn't know reality if it took a dump on his/her supersized forehead.

:redface:

Jjav829
05-29-2006, 11:31 PM
What's so funny?

It's true, I don't troll Bears threads I just give Bears fans a realist view of their team. I don't like to do it but god knows a Big Cub fan wouldn't know reality if it took a dump on his/her supersized forehead.

Nice try, but no one is buying. :tsk:

beckett21
05-29-2006, 11:37 PM
What's so funny?

I lived in Miami for a few years and have relatives who are big-time Fin fans. I know how delusional you people can be. :redneck

ondafarm
05-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Where is that tomato guy?

patbooyah
05-30-2006, 09:42 AM
there is one thing that will forever unite sox and tigers fans. at their message board they have a forum about tigers' history run by a guy named Idaho Bert. WSI's own sox historian is Lip! from Idaho!?

that officially makes Idaho's biggest two exports potatoes and amateur baseball historians.

nasox
05-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Where is that tomato guy?
:duck:

:hawk
"Watch out!"

Lip Man 1
05-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Pat:

Thanks for the compliment! (How's your Dad by the way...)

Actually just for the record I'm from Chicago. Born at 2615 W. 47th St. then moved to 4340 S. Honore. Went to Brother Rice high school.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2006, 12:28 PM
this guy?

:tomatoaward

A tomato will be thrown at each and every troll....

Oblong
05-31-2006, 10:28 PM
there is one thing that will forever unite sox and tigers fans. at their message board they have a forum about tigers' history run by a guy named Idaho Bert. WSI's own sox historian is Lip! from Idaho!?

that officially makes Idaho's biggest two exports potatoes and amateur baseball historians.

My Tigers are doing their best to let the Sox catch up but the Sox are not cooperating.

I hate the Yankees.

Tigerslover
06-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Same here, but it's more the Tigers lack of hitting that is hurting them right now. I mean really the pitching in this series hasn't been that bad. What's cost us is shaky defense at times, and little to no hitting sans that 2nd game, which we would have won if again our bats had been able to come through when we needed them to. I mean when you have a chance to take a lead on the Yankees in your park in the 8th inning, you have to do it. Otherwise it will likely come back to bite you later on, as it did for us in the 11th.

MUsoxfan
06-01-2006, 01:01 AM
The good news is I can stop rooting for the Yankees for now:tongue:

Tigerslover
06-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Not so fast, we still got 1 game to go against them tomorrow. Hopefully we can get one out of this at least to give us some momentum before Boston comes into town.

MUsoxfan
06-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Not so fast, we still got 1 game to go against them tomorrow. Hopefully we can get one out of this at least to give us some momentum before Boston comes into town.

In that case....

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:8cOsy6jiagSc7M:http://www.sorabji.net/2001/october/27.jpg

:cower:

FloridaTigers
06-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Tigers are just doing the ugly. The offense has just been shut down. Hell, I can take the mound against the Tigers and shut them down. This is terrible. :(: Cleveland won't be the Sox forever. We need a win tomorrow for momentum.

FloridaTigers
06-01-2006, 01:32 AM

Hey now, Bert is our two time MotownSports MVP. He's truely Mr. Tiger :cool:

Hitmen77
06-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Same here, but it's more the Tigers lack of hitting that is hurting them right now. I mean really the pitching in this series hasn't been that bad. What's cost us is shaky defense at times, and little to no hitting sans that 2nd game, which we would have won if again our bats had been able to come through when we needed them to. I mean when you have a chance to take a lead on the Yankees in your park in the 8th inning, you have to do it. Otherwise it will likely come back to bite you later on, as it did for us in the 11th.

Sounds familiar. You could have just as easily been watching the Sox the last 2 nights.

cbotnyse
06-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Sounds familiar. You could have just as easily been watching the Sox the last 2 nights.

exactly....the Sox have been putting up terrible efforts lately and have played very inconsistent...but the Tiggers are following suit!

Oblong
06-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm from motownsports too. Someone there mentioned this site so I decided to stop by. I like it. Looks like a lot of good fans. I hope to be around for the long haul because it means the Sox and Tigers will be going at it all year long. As a fan who grew up with the 84 team it's been a long drought.

Do I get Sox street cred for saying that I rooted like hell for them in 1993? I really did. Lost $20 in a bet though.

I will not be here during the Chicago series because I odn't want any emotions to get the best of me. I do like this place. I won't even come in if we sweep :redneck

tigersfan25
06-01-2006, 09:57 PM
I with Oblong... also from MTS... excellent website you guys got here... you'll be assured my participation.

TheDarkGundam
06-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Ummm...Where did these Tiger fans come from and why is everyone being so nice to each other?
Our teams are going to be going at it all season probably, and we're getting along with each other?
What is going on...

ondafarm
06-01-2006, 10:05 PM
My Tigers are doing their best to let the Sox catch up but the Sox are not cooperating.

I hate the Yankees.

We all hate the Yankees !!!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Tigers fans are taking over WSI!!!!

FloridaTigers
06-02-2006, 01:08 AM
Crap! We've been figured out! Quick, lets escape while we still can! :rolleyes:

This site is actually good. One of the better fan based forums and websites. Some teams have real piss poor ones.

ondafarm
06-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Now that both the Sox and Tigers are playing well again, do we expect any movement up or down? The Tigers are virtually perfect against the never rans and nearly as good against the also-rans. They are only 18-17 against the top eight teams in the league (or 9-13 against the top two teams in each division, Bos, NYY, Det, SOX, Tex & Oak.)

I just don't see this as dominating the league.

DaleJRFan
06-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I love how all these Tigers fans come to our site, tell us how great we are and how great the site is - only to get ****ing banned. I love it.

**** the Tigers.

ondafarm
06-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Hey,
maybe I should start warming this thread up?

TheDarkGundam
06-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Hey,
maybe I should start warming this thread up?
I think that might not be a bad idea. :wink:

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Let's compare schedules for the Sox and Tigers

Sox (90 games remaining: 44 home, 46 away):
3 v. HOU
3 @ PIT
3 @ Urinal
7 v. BAL (4 home, 3 away)
6 v. BOS (3 home, 3 away)
6 v. NYY (3 home, 3 away)
3 @ TOR
3 v. TB
3 v. TEX
4 v. LAA (1 home, 3 away)
3 @ OAK
4 v. SEA
10 v. KC (4 home, 6 away)
12 v. MIN (6 home, 6 away)
7 v. CLE (4 home, 3 away)
13 v. DET (6 home, 7 away)

Tigers (89 games remaining: 43 home, 46 away):
3 v. STL
3 v. HOU
3 @ PIT
6 v OAK (3 home, 3 away)
6 v. SEA (3 home, 3 away)
6 v. TEX (6 home)
3 v. LAA
4 @ TB
3 @ NYY
3 @ BOS
3 v. TOR
4 v. BAL (3 home, 1 away)
10 v. MIN (3 home, 7 away)
9 v. CLE (3 home, 6 away)
10 v. KC (3 home, 7 away)
13 v. Sox (7 home, 6 away)

Each team has one West Coast road trip left. The Sox have more games left with the AL East contenders, but the Sox play their games against them in July, before the trade deadline and likely before these teams will have improved themselves. The Tigers' remaining games against the Red Sox and Yankees are in August and against Toronto in September, during the heat of the pennant races! They also have more games with the Rangers, again in August and September, while the Sox get fewer games against the Rangers and they get them in July. The Sox get 3 with Tampa Bay at home (no problem), while the Tigers get 4 at Tampa Bay (scary!).
Even

As others have pointed out, the Cardinals will be ready for blood this weekend. Houston likely will be in the same situation after the Sox castrate them! We both get Pittsburgh, but we also get three more with the Cubs!
Advantage, Sox

The Sox and Tigers each have 10 games left with the Royals, and each have 19 to play against the Indians and Twins combined.
Even

Then we come down to the 13 head-to-head games. Which team is 5-1 against the other?
Advantage: Sox
:cool:

If the Tigers get John Smoltz, look for KW to make a strong counter-move. Yet even if KW doesn't make one single move, acquiring Smoltz still wouldn't give the Tigers the edge in the starting rotation, because although Smoltz has postseason experience, the Sox have four starting pitchers who have thrown complete games in the ALCS and who have started games that their team won in the World Series, far more recently than Smoltz!

I predict the Sox will be in first place by this Sunday night, if not sooner. From there, barring catastropic injuries, the Tigers may stay within a game or two, but will fall farther behind when playing the Sox.

ondafarm
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Write now, the Sox have an edge in remaining schedule:

The Sox remaining schedule: http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_team.asp?id=CHW&sn=2006

has a record of .497

The Tigers,
http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_team.asp?id=DET&sn=2006

have a .500 record to contend with.

Pequod
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
That's a terrific breakdown and analysis. Sure hope you're right. Also, seems Verlander is starting to stumble a bit for the Tigers. And does anybody really expect Kenny Rogers to maintain pace? Meanwhile, the Sox offense seems to be "hitting" its stride (pun intended) and the worries in the starting rotation (what few there were) seem to be dissipating. I like where this is going. :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Write now, the Sox have an edge in remaining schedule:

The Sox remianing schedule: http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_team.asp?id=CHW&sn=2006

has a record of .497

The Tigers,
http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_team.asp?id=DET&sn=2006

have a .500 record to contend with.

Of course, .497 vs. .500 is a difference of 3 games out of a thousand, or less than a game per 162-game season.
:tongue:

34 Inch Stick
06-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Of course, .497 vs. .500 is a difference of 3 games out of a thousand, or less than a game per 162-game season.
:tongue:

And the Sox are only 1/2 a game out. God is in the statistics

FloridaTigers
06-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Let's compare schedules for the Sox and Tigers

Sox (90 games remaining: 44 home, 46 away):
3 v. HOU
3 @ PIT
3 @ Urinal
7 v. BAL (4 home, 3 away)
6 v. BOS (3 home, 3 away)
6 v. NYY (3 home, 3 away)
3 @ TOR
3 v. TB
3 v. TEX
4 v. LAA (1 home, 3 away)
3 @ OAK
4 v. SEA
10 v. KC (4 home, 6 away)
12 v. MIN (6 home, 6 away)
7 v. CLE (4 home, 3 away)
13 v. DET (6 home, 7 away)

Tigers (89 games remaining: 43 home, 46 away):
3 v. STL
3 v. HOU
3 @ PIT
6 v OAK (3 home, 3 away)
6 v. SEA (3 home, 3 away)
6 v. TEX (6 home)
3 v. LAA
4 @ TB
3 @ NYY
3 @ BOS
3 v. TOR
4 v. BAL (3 home, 1 away)
10 v. MIN (3 home, 7 away)
9 v. CLE (3 home, 6 away)
10 v. KC (3 home, 7 away)
13 v. Sox (7 home, 6 away)

Each team has one West Coast road trip left. The Sox have more games left with the AL East contenders, but the Sox play their games against them in July, before the trade deadline and likely before these teams will have improved themselves. The Tigers' remaining games against the Red Sox and Yankees are in August and against Toronto in September, during the heat of the pennant races! They also have more games with the Rangers, again in August and September, while the Sox get fewer games against the Rangers and they get them in July. The Sox get 3 with Tampa Bay at home (no problem), while the Tigers get 4 at Tampa Bay (scary!).
Even

As others have pointed out, the Cardinals will be ready for blood this weekend. Houston likely will be in the same situation after the Sox castrate them! We both get Pittsburgh, but we also get three more with the Cubs!
Advantage, Sox

The Sox and Tigers each have 10 games left with the Royals, and each have 19 to play against the Indians and Twins combined.
Even

Then we come down to the 13 head-to-head games. Which team is 5-1 against the other?
Advantage: Sox
:cool:

If the Tigers get John Smoltz, look for KW to make a strong counter-move. Yet even if KW doesn't make one single move, acquiring Smoltz still wouldn't give the Tigers the edge in the starting rotation, because although Smoltz has postseason experience, the Sox have four starting pitchers who have thrown complete games in the ALCS and who have started games that their team won in the World Series, far more recently than Smoltz!

I predict the Sox will be in first place by this Sunday night, if not sooner. From there, barring catastropic injuries, the Tigers may stay within a game or two, but will fall farther behind when playing the Sox.

Smoltz is injured. And according to Gammons, the Tigers would have to give up top prospect Humberto Sanchez and two other prospects. I'm sure DD told the Braves GM to **** off.

munchman33
06-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Smoltz is injured. And according to Gammons, the Tigers would have to give up top prospect Humberto Sanchez and two other prospects. I'm sure DD told the Braves GM to **** off.

We have posters here that scoff at the notion of trading prospects for marquee players too. Luckily, none of them are Kenny Williams.

Luckily for the White Sox, Dombrowski isn't Kenny Wililams either.

Keep your prospects. We'll take the division.

mike detroit
06-23-2006, 08:49 PM
And the Sox are only 1/2 a game out. God is in the statistics

a good testament to the balance of power moving out of the AL East

munchman33
06-23-2006, 09:01 PM
a good testament to the balance of power moving out of the AL East

Don't you have to beat the teams in the AL East before you get to say that?

Jeez these Tiger's fans are getting really cocky for a fanbase that hasn't won a damn thing.

You've had a good half season. Nothing more.

mike detroit
06-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Don't you have to beat the teams in the AL East before you get to say that?

Jeez these Tiger's fans are getting really cocky for a fanbase that hasn't won a damn thing.

You've had a good half season. Nothing more.

touche. yeah, we need to beat the yanks and r. sox(and you guys). that was embarassing. still, look at the teams we're coming from. it's not hard to understand why we're excited. I'm old enough to (vaguely) remember 84, most young tigers fans today can't even say that. It's just great that we don't suck for once. also, not to be an ass, but you might want to not get beat by the royals before you talk ****.

munchman33
06-23-2006, 09:35 PM
touche. yeah, we need to beat the yanks and r. sox(and you guys). that was embarassing. still, look at the teams we're coming from. it's not hard to understand why we're excited. I'm old enough to (vaguely) remember 84, most young tigers fans today can't even say that. It's just great that we don't suck for once. also, not to be an ass, but you might want to not get beat by the royals before you talk ****.

*** are you talking about, we're 6-3 against the Royals.

And you are being an ass. You want to make blanket bull**** statements, make them on a Tiger's board.

Hitmen77
06-23-2006, 09:39 PM
We have posters here that scoff at the notion of trading prospects for marquee players too. Luckily, none of them are Kenny Williams.

Luckily for the White Sox, Dombrowski isn't Kenny Wililams either.

Keep your prospects. We'll take the division.

Trading prospects for marquee players isn't always a good idea. Any Sox fans sorry that the Sox didn't trade McCarthy for Burnett or Griffey last year?

munchman33
06-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Trading prospects for marquee players isn't always a good idea. Any Sox fans sorry that the Sox didn't trade McCarthy for Burnett or Griffey last year?

I don't consider either of those guys "marquee." Griffey was once. But he wasn't last year.

And there's a difference between prospects and guys already contributing. Trading McCarthy would be like trading a piece of the already existing puzzle.

mike detroit
06-23-2006, 09:43 PM

And you are being an ass. You want to make blanket bull**** statements, make them on a Tiger's board.

ummm.. you're an amazingly delusional homer if you think I'm being an ass. that was a throw away sarcastic bit. i respect you guys. I'm glad you shut those damn red sox and yankees fans up. I went to U of M, that means I was surrounded by east coasters. I was sick as hell of hearing them badmouth the rest of the AL. I'm just saying, the only difference in our records right now is that you keep losing to bad teams(while admitedly beating some of the good ones) while we struggle against the good teams but beat the ones we're supposed to beat. no reason to be all excitable about it. I think we have the makings of a great multi-year rivalry going(assuming we're not just overachieving now). I look foreward to the stretch in the later months for some exciting baseball. It's been awhile since I've seen any.

davenicholson
06-23-2006, 10:05 PM
also, not to be an ass, but you might want to not get beat by the royals before you talk ****.
Ooops. Too late.

oeo
06-23-2006, 10:42 PM

But, but...the Tigers are going to go 18-0 against the Royals.

mike detroit: You do know you're probably going to lose 3 or 4, maybe 5+ games to the Royals, right? The Tigers record is as good as it is for the sole reason that they're beating up on terrible teams. Hoping they can keep this near perfect record against bad teams is unrealistic, even if they are bad teams. It's baseball, and it will even out. For that reason, I don't think the Tigers will be in contention for the division.

voodoochile
06-23-2006, 10:43 PM

Yo Mike... that's trolling... DON'T do it again...:?:

mike detroit
06-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Yo Mike... that's trolling... DON'T do it again...:?:

well, oops. you guys apparently have a more stringent definition of trolling than most boards. that was just some light hearted ribbing. i apologize though. I didn't mean to cause so much turmoil. as i said, it was just a throw away trash talk comment.

Hitmen77
06-23-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't consider either of those guys "marquee." Griffey was once. But he wasn't last year.

And there's a difference between prospects and guys already contributing. Trading McCarthy would be like trading a piece of the already existing puzzle.

But this trade supposedly would have happened last July. That was before B-Mac started contributing. He may have even been back in the minors at that point.

So, you don't consider AJ Burnett a marquee guy, but John Smoltz is? :?: It's a moot point though. The Sox were smart to not make those trades, and I'm doubtful the Tigers will pay the hefty price needed to land Smoltz.

QCIASOXFAN
06-23-2006, 11:49 PM
touche. yeah, we need to beat the yanks and r. sox(and you guys). that was embarassing. still, look at the teams we're coming from. it's not hard to understand why we're excited. I'm old enough to (vaguely) remember 84, most young tigers fans today can't even say that. It's just great that we don't suck for once. also, not to be an ass, but you might want to not get beat by the royals before you talk ****.I would rather loose to the Royals a few times then get beat by good teams all the time. I think its great how much you love watching your team pummel the piss poor Royals.

MrRoboto83
06-24-2006, 01:19 AM
ummm.. you're an amazingly delusional homer if you think I'm being an ass. that was a throw away sarcastic bit. i respect you guys. I'm glad you shut those damn red sox and yankees fans up. I went to U of M, that means I was surrounded by east coasters. I was sick as hell of hearing them badmouth the rest of the AL. I'm just saying, the only difference in our records right now is that you keep losing to bad teams(while admitedly beating some of the good ones) while we struggle against the good teams but beat the ones we're supposed to beat. no reason to be all excitable about it. I think we have the makings of a great multi-year rivalry going(assuming we're not just overachieving now). I look foreward to the stretch in the later months for some exciting baseball. It's been awhile since I've seen any.

No team is going to go 19-0 on the Royals, that is a fact. The best teams lose to the worse teams from time to time, it happens all the time, that is baseball.

munchman33
06-24-2006, 01:37 AM
But this trade supposedly would have happened last July. That was before B-Mac started contributing. He may have even been back in the minors at that point.

So, you don't consider AJ Burnett a marquee guy, but John Smoltz is? :?: It's a moot point though. The Sox were smart to not make those trades, and I'm doubtful the Tigers will pay the hefty price needed to land Smoltz.

I'm pretty sure 90% of the board would agree with me on the Smoltz > Burnett thing. A lot of people here see Burnett for what he really is: Kerry Wood.

ondafarm
06-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I think adding Smoltz would help Detroit get into the playoffs. Right now, I think Detroit has a good chance of getting into the playoffs but are not a lock.

Tiger23
06-24-2006, 11:08 AM
No team is going to go 19-0 on the Royals, that is a fact. The best teams lose to the worse teams from time to time, it happens all the time, that is baseball.

As evidenced by the Tigers 1-5 record against the White Sox. :D:

champagne030
06-24-2006, 11:15 AM
As evidenced by the Tigers 1-5 record against the White Sox. :D:

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

I see the teal, but tread lightly. Some here consider friendly trashtalk to be trolling.

mike detroit
06-24-2006, 11:47 AM
:tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

I see the teal, but tread lightly. Some here consider friendly trashtalk to be trolling.

new here, what's the teal mean. I think I may have messed up on some rules i neglected to read already. I've been a pistons fan on spurstalk for over a year and never had problems, I don't want to run into them here. just looking for dissenting opinions on sports.

SOXintheBURGH
06-24-2006, 11:51 AM
new here, what's the teal mean. I think I may have messed up on some rules i neglected to read already. I've been a pistons fan on spurstalk for over a year and never had problems, I don't want to run into them here. just looking for dissenting opinions on sports.

Teal is for sarcasm. Like Detroit will make the playoffs. :tongue:

Deep pink is for almost unachievable hopes. Like Brian Anderson winning ROY.

mike detroit
06-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Teal is for sarcasm. Like Detroit will make the playoffs. :tongue:

Deep pink is for almost unachievable hopes. Like Brian Anderson winning ROY.

haha good show

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2006, 12:08 PM
I think adding Smoltz would help Detroit get into the playoffs. Right now, I think Detroit has a good chance of getting into the playoffs but are not a lock.

I agree that Smoltz would almost guarantee Detroit the Wild Card. His playoff - and World Series - experience would go a long way toward bolstering the postseason gravitas of the Tigers.

Still, the White Sox have FOUR starters who pitched complete games in the ALCS last year and who have WORLD SERIES WINNING experience. They have a closer who closed out a 1-0 victory in Game 4 of the World Series with a runner on third base. The Sox ace - Buehrle - started the All Star game last year. Their best pitcher - Contreras - has not lost a game this year and figures to start the All-Star game. Their third-best starter threw a shutout in Game 4 of the World Series and just did it again against the Cardinals. In the playoffs, the Sox have the luxury of choosing the Game 4 starter from among Vazquez and Garland, with the other one going to the pen along with McCarthy, who would be in any other team's starting rotation himself. The point is that the Sox have the very best six-man rotation in the MLB.

Smoltz would give the Tigers a stronger rotation, but even with Smoltz the Sox rotation is superior. Checkmate.

Tigerclaw
06-24-2006, 01:08 PM
I agree that Smoltz would almost guarantee Detroit the Wild Card. His playoff - and World Series - experience would go a long way toward bolstering the postseason gravitas of the Tigers.

Still, the White Sox have FOUR starters who pitched complete games in the ALCS last year and who have WORLD SERIES WINNING experience. They have a closer who closed out a 1-0 victory in Game 4 of the World Series with a runner on third base. The Sox ace - Buehrle - started the All Star game last year. Their best pitcher - Contreras - has not lost a game this year and figures to start the All-Star game. Their third-best starter threw a shutout in Game 4 of the World Series and just did it again against the Cardinals. In the playoffs, the Sox have the luxury of choosing the Game 4 starter from among Vazquez and Garland, with the other one going to the pen along with McCarthy, who would be in any other team's starting rotation himself. The point is that the Sox have the very best six-man rotation in the MLB.

Smoltz would give the Tigers a stronger rotation, but even with Smoltz the Sox rotation is superior. Checkmate.

Experience is pretty overrated. Other than the Red Sox a couple of years ago, how many teams that won the World Series in the last five years have had a lot of playoff experience? The White Sox sure did fine down the stretch last year without much. I don't hold much stock in that argument.

As far as the Sox's rotation being superior, I think the numbers through virtually half a season would dispute that statement. The Sox's rotation was terrific last year and is one of the best in the AL still, but have not had the better staff this year and have actually had a very mediocre month of June. A lot of people on here think that the Tigers pitching will fall back to earth, but they are really feeding off of each other right now and are keeping each other on a roll. At some point Verlander might need to be rested to keep his innings down, but even if a trade for a John Smoltz isn't made, the Tigers have a lot of guys that could fill in and probably do well. Zach Miner has already been to the Tigers this year what McCarthy was for the Sox was last year...If Maroth makes it back by August the Tigers could have a nice 6 man rotation of their own...

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Experience is pretty overrated.

Fair enough. I was addressing the anticipated arguments that adding Smoltz's postseason experience to the Tigers rotation would push Detroit over the top.

I guess another way for me to say it is that all things being equal, adding Smoltz won't be enough to overcome the Sox. Still, I think Detroit will get the Wild Card.

In all honesty, it will come down to the head-to-head games.

mccoydp
06-24-2006, 01:53 PM

Read the sticky posts in the forums; read the forum FAQs, and learn the lingo before you post.

munchman33
06-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Experience is pretty overrated. Other than the Red Sox a couple of years ago, how many teams that won the World Series in the last five years have had a lot of playoff experience? The White Sox sure did fine down the stretch last year without much. I don't hold much stock in that argument.

As far as the Sox's rotation being superior, I think the numbers through virtually half a season would dispute that statement. The Sox's rotation was terrific last year and is one of the best in the AL still, but have not had the better staff this year and have actually had a very mediocre month of June. A lot of people on here think that the Tigers pitching will fall back to earth, but they are really feeding off of each other right now and are keeping each other on a roll. At some point Verlander might need to be rested to keep his innings down, but even if a trade for a John Smoltz isn't made, the Tigers have a lot of guys that could fill in and probably do well. Zach Miner has already been to the Tigers this year what McCarthy was for the Sox was last year...If Maroth makes it back by August the Tigers could have a nice 6 man rotation of their own...

I suggest you look at Kenny Roger's career eras in the first and second half, and then make that statement about falling off.

I suggest you look at Robertson's recent performance, and then make that statement about falling off.

I suggest you look at cases of rookies with hot starts throughout MLB history, and then make that statement about falling off.

Because if after any of that, you do, you're a homer.

The Tiger's do not have the best rotation in baseball. Outside of Bonderman, none of your starters would even crack our rotation.

champagne030
06-24-2006, 02:22 PM

You need to consider that the Tigers play in the Grand Canyon of ballparks and the Sox play in a bandbox. Also, we've actually been playing teams located at the top of their respective divisions. Additionally, if all of your starters continue to blow away their career best seasons, sure they can be as good as the Sox. Me thinks that the entire staff will not shatter each of their career best seasons. The Gambler is on pace for 24 wins and Verlander is on pace for 21. I'll give you about 100M/1 that won't happen.

champagne030
06-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I suggest you look at Kenny Roger's career eras in the first and second half, and then make that statement about falling off.

I suggest you look at Robertson's recent performance, and then make that statement about falling off.

I suggest you look at cases of rookies with hot starts throughout MLB history, and then make that statement about falling off.

Because if after any of that, you do, you're a homer.

The Tiger's do not have the best rotation in baseball. Outside of Bonderman, none of your starters would even crack our rotation.

Yeah, what you said......:D:

Except I'd also put old man river (the Gambler) into the rotation over Garland until he takes his normal post all-star game dive....

Tiger23
06-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Outside of Bonderman, none of your starters would even crack our rotation.

Stats by each teams rotation thus far per mlb.com:

Team League W L ERA G CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO

1.Detroit Tigers (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&statType=2&sitSplit=gsp&venueID=null&timeSubFrame2=null&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2006&teamPosCode=det)AL 41 17 3.46 74 2 1 0 0 463.2 435 191 178 51 17 136 312
8.Chicago White Sox (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&statType=2&sitSplit=gsp&venueID=null&timeSubFrame2=null&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2006&teamPosCode=cha)AL 39 17 4.27 73 2 0 0 0 480.2 489 240 228 65 18 124 290

That seems like quite on odd statement based on the numbers above. Say what you want about track records, experience, expected performance, and second half history, but the fact is Detroit currently has the best rotation in baseball. Throw in the fact that Bonderman thus far has the worst ERA of any of our starters, and I think we can throw this completely out the window.

Will it continue? Seems to be an interesting question, but all of us Tiger fans expected it to end much sooner than this, and it hasn't yet..

Tigerclaw
06-24-2006, 02:43 PM

And you called me a homer....

CHISOXFAN13
06-24-2006, 02:54 PM
And you called me a homer....

On the top of the page it clearly states, totally biased. Why can't you and the other Tigers fans understand that you are not going to win your arguments at this, a fans site of the defending world champions and the best team in baseball?

Tiger23
06-24-2006, 03:03 PM
You need to consider that the Tigers play in the Grand Canyon of ballparks and the Sox play in a bandbox.

Good theory.

Tigers ERA at home: 3.77

Tigers ERA away: 3.36

White Sox ERA at home: 3.78

White sox ERA away: 4.87

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Once again, Tigers pitchers pitch half their games in cavernous Comerica Park. Once again, Sox pitchers pitch half their games in a bandbox. This alone accounts for the disparity in ERA and HR totals (that and the fact that Sox pitchers have thrown more innings).

Furthermore, the Sox haven't been as successful at turning the double play compared to last season. This hurts ground ball pitchers, but is completely out of the pitchers' control.

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Good theory.

Tigers ERA at home: 3.77

Tigers ERA away: 3.36

White Sox ERA at home: 3.78

White sox ERA away: 4.87

So Sox pitchers have an .01 higher ERA in the Cell compared to the Tigers' pitchers at Comerica? Wow, what a huge disparity!

I'll grant you that Tigers' pitchers have thrown better on the road than Sox pitchers have thrown on the road. But adjusting for park differences - which are significant - the Sox pitchers are performing better at home than Tigers pitchers are throwing at home.

Tiger23
06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
So Sox pitchers have an .01 higher ERA in the Cell compared to the Tigers' pitchers at Comerica? Wow, what a huge disparity!

I'll grant you that Tigers' pitchers have thrown better on the road than Sox pitchers have thrown on the road. But adjusting for park differences - which are significant - the Sox pitchers are performing better at home than Tigers pitchers are throwing at home.

The point of my post was to compare each team's performance at home and on the road, not to compare the two teams against eachother. You and the poster above claim that Tigers pitch with an advantage because of their home park, yet their ERA is lower on the road. At the same time, you claim that the White Sox hurlers are hurt by their home park, yet their ERA is far better than when they're on the road.

CHISOXFAN13
06-24-2006, 03:46 PM
You've got company Detroit. Back where we belong. Go Cardinals!

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2006, 03:49 PM
The point of my post was to compare each team's performance at home and on the road, not to compare the two teams against eachother. You and the poster above claim that Tigers pitch with an advantage because of their home park, yet their ERA is lower on the road. At the same time, you claim that the White Sox hurlers are hurt by their home park, yet their ERA is far better than when they're on the road.

My point is that the Sox pitchers would have a lower home ERA (and thus overall ERA) if they pitched hald their games in Comerica. The fact that despite their park disadvantage, the Sox home ERA is just .01 higher than the Tigers' home ERA indicates to me that the Sox have a better pitching staff than the Tigers.

Tiger23
06-24-2006, 04:07 PM
My point is that the Sox pitchers would have a lower home ERA (and thus overall ERA) if they pitched hald their games in Comerica. The fact that despite their park disadvantage, the Sox home ERA is just .01 higher than the Tigers' home ERA indicates to me that the Sox have a better pitching staff than the Tigers.

You're argument holds no water due to the fact that the Tigers pitch better on the road. If it was an advantage, then they would have a better ERA.

If you want to compare the two teams pitching using similar parks, compare their ERAs away from home. At this point in the season the sample is big enough to trust the numbers. Advantage Detroit by a run and a half.

Tigerclaw
06-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Obviously you believe in the stereotype that is Comerica park. This year, the park factors are very close. U.S. Cellular Field is the 22nd best park to hit in this year and Comerica is 24th based on number of runs scored. A rating above 1 favors the hitters and below 1 favors the pitchers and U.S. Cellular is .936 to .920 for Comerica. These factors are based on games played so the home team and visiting teams runs scored in the park are factored, not just the Home team. Other interesting stats in park factor...U.S. Celluar HR factor is 1.060 to Comerica's .640...obviously it's much harder to homer at Comerica...but the hit factor is higher at comerica.... .999 to .936...so the bigger park means more hits fall in...Comerica also has a higher factor for doubles and triples...

So, just because it's hard to hit one out at Comerica doesn't mean that hits are at a premium there. Last year the Cell had a high park factor but this year it's among the lowest and is very close to Comerica. So it's hard to say the parks can say one staff is better then the other when they are playing very closely this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor?season=2006

MarySwiss
06-24-2006, 04:13 PM
You're argument holds no water due to the fact that the Tigers pitch better on the road. If it was an advantage, then they would have a better ERA.

Kittle42, where art thou?:cool:

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-24-2006, 04:23 PM
What the hell is going on?

ondafarm
06-24-2006, 04:45 PM
At this moment, the Detroit Tigers are officially in second place, by virtue of C coming before D.

munchman33
06-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Stats by each teams rotation thus far per mlb.com:

Team League W L ERA G CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO

1.Detroit Tigers (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&statType=2&sitSplit=gsp&venueID=null&timeSubFrame2=null&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2006&teamPosCode=det)AL 41 17 3.46 74 2 1 0 0 463.2 435 191 178 51 17 136 312
8.Chicago White Sox (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&statType=2&sitSplit=gsp&venueID=null&timeSubFrame2=null&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2006&teamPosCode=cha)AL 39 17 4.27 73 2 0 0 0 480.2 489 240 228 65 18 124 290

That seems like quite on odd statement based on the numbers above. Say what you want about track records, experience, expected performance, and second half history, but the fact is Detroit currently has the best rotation in baseball. Throw in the fact that Bonderman thus far has the worst ERA of any of our starters, and I think we can throw this completely out the window.

Will it continue? Seems to be an interesting question, but all of us Tiger fans expected it to end much sooner than this, and it hasn't yet..

Those numbers show that the Tiger's pitching staff has had the best first three months of the season. Not that they're the best staff in baseball. Those are two completely different things. And if I were you, after reading my last post, I'd be very afraid of what's to come.

I'm not as nice as the rest of the posters here. I'll state the obvious. The Tigers are going to fall off. And it'll be hard. By the end of the season, I fully expect their pitching to wind up bottom half of the league.

Unregistered
06-24-2006, 06:02 PM
At this moment, the Detroit Tigers are officially in second place, by virtue of C coming before D.
http://as.wn.com/i/cd/2c68b68edf1769.jpg
"Hooray for the alphabet!"

illini81887
06-24-2006, 06:15 PM
1-0 cards top 1st

illini81887
06-24-2006, 06:16 PM
2-0 now

patbooyah
06-24-2006, 06:17 PM
what do you guys think of my photoshop skills?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/jaythejoke/tiger.jpg

MarySwiss
06-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Well, they're a hell of a lot better than my Photoshop skills!

illini81887
06-24-2006, 06:32 PM
2-1 cards bot 1st

illini81887
06-24-2006, 06:36 PM
tied at 2 now

patbooyah
06-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, they're a hell of a lot better than my Photoshop skills!

http://fugato.net/wp-content/napoleondynamite.jpg
"you must have terrible skills." :redneck

illini81887
06-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Cards lead 3-2

illini81887
06-24-2006, 07:07 PM
4-2 cards

whitesoxfan
06-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Make it 4-2 Cards :bandance:

FloridaTigers
06-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Back to back singles and the Tigers are threatening again.

We must be stealing signs. :D:

MarySwiss
06-24-2006, 07:18 PM
http://fugato.net/wp-content/napoleondynamite.jpg
"you must have terrible skills." :redneck

Pomme dearie; I have tremendous skills! :redneck

Just not graphics arts skills!

JimEdmonds15
06-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Lookin better tonight.. although Suppan is getting lucky!

Guillen may get a plunking sometime tonight, lol

illini81887
06-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Suppan gets out of inning, on to Top 4th

FloridaTigers
06-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Its official: Chris Shelton is a fat ****.

illini81887
06-24-2006, 07:36 PM
4-3 cards

cougar
06-24-2006, 07:39 PM
I don't believe the Cardinals of St. Louis will become victorious in this healthy match of physical play on the baseball field.

illini81887
06-24-2006, 07:46 PM
5-3 cards

DaleJRFan
06-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Kenny Rogers' ERA... RISING

DaleJRFan
06-24-2006, 07:53 PM
The Messiah is getting knocked around a little bit by the Twins. 5 hits, 1 walk and 3 runs in the last two innings... He's awesome!

illini81887
06-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Shelton grounds into DP

illini81887
06-24-2006, 08:07 PM
6-4 cards

santo=dorf
06-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Its official: Chris Shelton is a fat ****.
Cue the Tom Petty Music.

MONTH BA/OBP/SLG/OPS
April: .326/.404/.783/1.187
May: .286/.340/.363/.703 (almost a 500 point drop :o: )
June: .183/.247/.338/.585 (less than HALF of his OPS in April)

DaleJRFan
06-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Vance Wilson hit a homerun? Geez. 6-4 Cards - bottom of the sixth.

CLR01
06-24-2006, 08:25 PM

*If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...*

Umm... I think your skills are excellent and that photo is lovely...:smile:

JimEdmonds15
06-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Gotta admit.. nice catch Shelton.. robbed Pujols!

ondafarm
06-24-2006, 08:33 PM
A double tomato thread !!!! Woohoo!!!

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2006, 08:44 PM
A double tomato thread !!!! Woohoo!!!

:tomatoaward :tomatoaward

santo=dorf
06-24-2006, 08:52 PM
I don't believe the Cardinals of St. Louis will become victorious in this healthy match of physical play on the baseball field.

I'm sure Horsemaster Fred agrees with you. :?:

illini81887
06-24-2006, 08:53 PM
bases loaded for Cards

mccoydp
06-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Pujols should get lessons from Crede on how to hit with the bases loaded; note that they have the same number of career grand slams. :D:

HebrewHammer
06-24-2006, 09:03 PM

There's that new anti-Tigers tag we've been looking for!

beckett21
06-24-2006, 09:15 PM

LMAO!

That is either the best or the worst photoshop job ever. I still haven't decided which one it is, but either way I love it. :D:

oeo
06-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Why isn't Rooney doing PBP? This guy sucks that's doing it.

Wow, Isringhausen gives up the lead. Tied at 6.

buehrle4cy05
06-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Wow. St. Louis really sucks.:o:

illini81887
06-24-2006, 09:22 PM
efff youuuuu izzzy

California Sox
06-24-2006, 09:22 PM
0-2 pitch.

itsnotrequired
06-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Isringhausen sucks.

RadioheadRocks
06-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Isringhausen sucks.

Tell us something we don't already know.

itsnotrequired
06-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Tell us something we don't already know.

He sucks hard.

California Sox
06-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Not just Isringhausen, Cards had bases loaded with one out and didn't plate anybody, that sort of thing kills you. Just ask the Astros.

DaleJRFan
He sucks hard.

Yea, he's really bad. Follows up by getting Maggs down 0-2 and gives up a double.

I can't wait until this interleague crap is over...

oeo
How long is Marcus Thames going to keep this up? Career .250 hitter, batting .309?

DrCrawdad
06-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Where are all those Cubbie fans who have said about how the NL Central is better than the AL Central?

The NL Central, the whole darn lot of them, stinks!

Thanks a lot there Cardinals!

santo=dorf
06-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Yea, he's really bad. Follows up by getting Maggs down 0-2 and gives up a double.

I can't wait until this interleague crap is over...
I don't know about you, I love seeing the AL Central crush the hell out of the NL Central. We're 10-1 in IL. That's better than playing another West Coast Road trip or in one of those crappy dome stadiums we always don't do too well in.

DaleJRFan
How long is Marcus Thames going to keep this up? Career .250 hitter, batting .309?

By outsiders, the same can be said for Joe Crede. Who knows, Maybe Thames needed regular playing time...

illini81887
on to extras

oeo
06-24-2006, 09:33 PM
By outsiders, the same can be said for Joe Crede. Who knows, Maybe Thames needed regular playing time...

I wasn't implying that he couldn't, but this guy has been huge for the Tigers this year. It was a question.

DaleJRFan
06-24-2006, 09:34 PM
I wasn't implying that he couldn't, but this guy has been huge for the Tigers this year. It was a question.

I know, I was just sayin'... we're seeing the same thing happen with Crede. But, then again, maybe Thames will fall back to earth much like Shelton did after his 2005 and beginning of 2006.

oeo
06-24-2006, 09:37 PM
That was a pretty productive inning by the Cards. :rolleyes:

I guess Rooney doesn't talk while his color guy does PBP. And vice versa...

DaleJRFan
06-24-2006, 09:37 PM
That was a pretty productive inning by the Cards. :rolleyes:

you forgot the TEAL :redneck

Oblong
06-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Thames deserved to come up last year after a great spring training but Trammell decided to go with Bobby Higginson, who was putrid but was due $8 million. The feeling is that told the rest of the team that performance didn't matter. It set a bad start to the 2005 season for relationships between Tram and the players.

Also keep in mind when looking at Thames numbers he started the season 0-17.

3 reasons why I think the White Sox win the Central by the end of the season. Todd Jones, Chris Shelton, and Craig Monroe. Unless suitable replacements are found their lackluster play will catch up.

Tiger23
06-24-2006, 09:47 PM
I'd like to take this time to thank the city of Chicago for producing Curtis Granderson and handing him off to Detroit. He is absolutely amazing. Already my second favorite Tiger behind Carlos Guillen, and it takes a lot to move up my ladder.

Unregistered
06-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Argh, the Cards are useless... :angry:

buehrle4cy05
Tigers win. I guess they were stealing signs.:rolleyes:

CHISOXFAN13
**** teh Cardinals. i hope Milwaukee or Cincy wins that division.

mccoydp
**** the Cardinals.

Corlose 15
06-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Bah, the National League sucks.:angry: Stupid St. Louis.

Chips
06-24-2006, 09:52 PM
**** St. Louis. What a ****ing useless excuse for a ****ing team.

mccoydp
06-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Cards, Astros, Mets, Cincy, etc. They all suck.

mike detroit
06-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Bah, the National League sucks.:angry: Stupid St. Louis.

just to be clear, st louis is good when you beat them but now they suck, right?

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2006, 09:55 PM
We can't count on ANY of these teams to beat the Tigers. The whole friggen NL sucks!

A. Cavatica
06-24-2006, 09:55 PM
You know what? The Tigers are good.

I'm lovin' this race.

mike detroit
06-24-2006, 09:56 PM
We can't count on ANY of these teams to beat the Tigers. The whole friggen NL sucks!

everyone sucks but you, don't they

mccoydp
06-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Quit trolling.

Geez, since Minnesota is on a roll, are the Twinkies trolls going to come out too?

mike detroit
06-24-2006, 09:57 PM
You know what? The Tigers are good.

I'm lovin' this race.

ding ding ding, we have a winner. this race is going to be outstanding.

Corlose 15
06-24-2006, 09:58 PM
just to be clear, st louis is good when you beat them but now they suck, right?

I never really said they were good. I think it is pretty obvious that the AL is the far better league. I just figured they were good enough to hold a 2 run lead in the ninth, guess not.

TheOldRoman
everyone sucks but you, don't they Yeah, you are right, Tigers troll. St. Louis is a great team, and the NL is no worse than the AL.
:dumbass:
I wonder how many of you clowns will be posting here when the Tigers are down by 10 games in September?:rolleyes:

Tiger23
Here is my piece. The Tigers will not fall off the face of the earth like all of you guys think. They will continue to win and will make the playoffs. They might not (or maybe I should say probably won't) win the central, but if they don't it won't be because they stumble hard...it will happen because the White Sox have such a great team. The Tigers are here to stay in my opinion. And as we have all seen, once you get into those playoffs, its a crapshoot.

That said I am on cloud nine since we're in first for at least one more day. Obviously we're very unlikely to lead the rest of the way, but as a starving Tiger fan I cherish each and every day.

CubKilla
06-24-2006, 09:59 PM

Hi Mike. Question. Where were you last year when you're Tigers were battling KC for the cellar? Just curious.

Be careful. You might fall off the bandwagon.

mccoydp
06-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Mike. Question. Where were you last year when you're Tigers were battling KC for the cellar? Just curious.

LOL. Still time for him to break in the brim of that new Tiggers cap, too. :D:

mike detroit
06-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Quit trolling.

i don't think you actually know what trolling means if you think that's it. trolling is when you espouse opinions you don't actually hold, for the purpose of upsetting people. i actually believe(saints be praised) that the tigers and white sox have a great rivalry going, for the rest of this season at least. learn what words mean before you call people things and make yourself look silly.

Tiger23
06-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Question. Where were you last year when you're Tigers were battling KC for the cellar? Just curious.

Cryin in my beer night after night.

mike detroit
06-24-2006, 10:02 PM

good question. not here, because talking to white sox fans when we are not a legitimate rival would be stupid.

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2006, 10:04 PM

Learn to READ! I said the whole NL sucks, which is something we all can see is obvious by looking at how this whole interleague play is unfolding. There is no team in the NL who can hold a candle to our league. That is ALL I was saying. :rolleyes:

mccoydp
06-24-2006, 10:04 PM
i don't think you actually know what trolling means if you think that's it. trolling is when you espouse opinions you don't actually hold, for the purpose of upsetting people. i actually believe(saints be praised) that the tigers and white sox have a great rivalry going, for the rest of this season at least. learn what words mean before you call people things and make yourself look silly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Not sure where you get your definitions from, but here's a link to a good explanation.

I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.