PDA

View Full Version : The Crede play at 2nd base

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-19-2006, 08:45 PM
What happened to Crede at 2nd today? From the Upper Deck, i thought he was safe for sure. When i got home, my dad said that Hairston (?) pushed him off. What really happened?

gobears1987
05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Hairston pushed him off, which is illegal. Crede should've been safe.

sox1970
05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
What happened to Crede at 2nd today? From the Upper Deck, i thought he was safe for sure. When i got home, my dad said that Hairston (?) pushed him off. What really happened?

His hand came off. He may have been pushed a little, but the glove was on him when both hands were off the bag. He should have gone in feet first. It was a good call.

chidonez
05-19-2006, 08:55 PM
He should have gone in feet first, but the call could have gone either way. That, and the replay I saw didn't show whether his other hand made it to the bag first. Sometimes you have to work the ref, which Maddox did today as well, albeit a little more on the sly.

oeo
05-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Hairston pushed him off, which is illegal. Crede should've been safe.
It was actually Neifi Perez, and the umpire was in a bad position, just saw that Crede's hand came off. Perez did force it off, though, so he was safe, but who cares? We won.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Didn't something like that happen in a World Series or playoff game a few years ago. For some reason I recall something like that happening.

Lip

pagansoxfan
05-19-2006, 09:24 PM
lip you'reb thinking of kent hrbeck vs the braves in '91. that call was a joke. he grabbed the leg of the baserunner, and the ump called him out.

I want Mags back
05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
He should have gone in feet first, but the call could have gone either way. That, and the replay I saw didn't show whether his other hand made it to the bag first. Sometimes you have to work the ref, which Maddox did today as well, albeit a little more on the sly.

wer dont have refs, sorry

1951Campbell
05-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Was it a swipe tag? If a runner gets an arm or leg knocked off the bag by a good, hard tag, is it really a "dirty" play?

Full disclose: didn't see the play, heard it on XM.

itsnotrequired
05-19-2006, 10:10 PM

Agreed. Even if Perez pushed him off, the directions that Crede and Perez were traveling in made it seem like Joe came off the bag. The play ended up being a non-factor.:cool:

Norberto7
05-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Didn't something like that happen in a World Series or playoff game a few years ago.....
....in '91...
Ahhhh, the timelessness of baseball....

Anyways, even thought it happened against us, if what Perez did was intentional, then that's a savvy play. If you can knock a guy's hand off the bag and convince the umpire it was all part of your swipe tag, those are the little tricks that can win you games.

Intentional or not, if you get the out, it's a good play.

samram
05-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Was it a swipe tag? If a runner gets an arm or leg knocked off the bag by a good, hard tag, is it really a "dirty" play?

It wasn't a dirty play. Crede's momentum would have taken him off the bag anyway, IMO. Plus, given what I saw, there wasn't nearly enough evidence for the umpire to rule his hand was pushed off the bag.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Sometimes you have to work the ref, which Maddox did today as well, albeit a little more on the sly.Baseball uses umpires, not refs, and his name is Maddux.

HotelWhiteSox
05-20-2006, 12:53 AM

It wasn't dirty, but it wasn't a typical swipe. Crede was pretty hot about it. Hawk said the umpire knew afterwards he was wrong but who knows. Oh well, at least it didn't hurt, and the run got in

Mercy!
05-20-2006, 12:55 AM
When I first saw it in real time on TV, it looked like Crede's momentum was carrying him/his hand past the bag. But then, in slow motion, it appeared that his hand was dislodged by Perez. All in all, not a bad call by the ump. It certainly wasn't a "dirty" play, or even a hard tag.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2006, 01:24 AM
All in all, not a bad call by the ump. It certainly wasn't a "dirty" play, or even a hard tag.I can see the ump missing it. It wasn't a "hard tag" but he surely pushed Crede's hand off the bag.

Mercy!
05-20-2006, 02:13 AM
I can see the ump missing it. It wasn't a "hard tag" but he surely pushed Crede's hand off the bag.
Actually, at the time, when I replayed it in slow motion, I was shouting at the TV, "Come on! He pushed him off the bag!":D: But it's easy to be sanguine after the outcome today. And, like you say, one can see how the umpire might have missed it.

QCIASOXFAN
05-20-2006, 02:46 AM
It was bull**** he got pushed off!!

Grzegorz
05-20-2006, 04:50 AM
His hand came off. He may have been pushed a little, but the glove was on him when both hands were off the bag. He should have gone in feet first. It was a good call.
Crede was wrong on principal; that said I thought his hand came off. I agree the call was a good one.

The outcome of the game is something we can all agree on.

ode to veeck
05-20-2006, 07:31 AM
I can see the ump missing it. It wasn't a "hard tag" but he surely pushed Crede's hand off the bag.

Exactly what happened, but a savvy "got away with one" play by the Flubs. Even before I "tivo'd" it back during the commercial a couple of times, it's clear Crede's hand is pushed off the bag from the very 1st replay.

Fortunately, it wasn't a critial play in the outcome and we didn't have Joe Blow and Tim McCarver egging the media / calling for baseball instant replay, which would be horrendous.

jabrch
05-20-2006, 10:20 AM
It wasn't "dirty". He didn't do it to hurt Joe. He didn't pound him with the glove. It was, however, a bad call by the ump. A player is not allowed to use his tag to push a runner off the base.

Either way - no big deal. We won!

flo-B-flo
05-20-2006, 10:45 AM
It wasn't "dirty". He didn't do it to hurt Joe. He didn't pound him with the glove. It was, however, a bad call by the ump. A player is not allowed to use his tag to push a runner off the base.

Either way - no big deal. We won! I concur. He did push his arm away from the base. Not a dirty play but a savvy play. Was it Cedeno that did it? Ozzie tried that lots of times himself.

fquaye149
05-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Actually, at the time, when I replayed it in slow motion, I was shouting at the TV, "Come on! He pushed him off the bag!":D: But it's easy to be sanguine after the outcome today. And, like you say, one can see how the umpire might have missed it.

why would you be sanguine after the Sox whupped the Cubs and beat down Maddux? Are you sure you don't mean serene?

jdm2662
05-20-2006, 11:33 AM
In real-time, it looked like Crede came off the bag on his own. In slow-mo, it appeared Perez pushed him off. I had no problem with the call because the run had already scored, and it could've gone either way. It was not nearly as obvious as the play in the 1991 World Series.

Mercy!
05-20-2006, 03:11 PM
why would you be sanguine after the Sox whupped the Cubs and beat down Maddux? Are you sure you don't mean serene?

Nope. I meant "sanguine" as in "cheerfully confident; optimistic."

But if you'd like, I wouldn't be totally off base substituting the word, "unconcerned." I'm rarely serene.