PDA

View Full Version : What are the White Sox doing right lately?

jamokes
05-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Being a longtime White Sox fan, I have been wondering lately......what are the White Sox doing as of late that wasn't there for the last several, many? years?? I don't mean winning the World Series or bring in great players. Sox fans are really treated better as of late and the ballpark atmosphere is more pleasant. Has Brooks Boyer and company realized they should treat fans better? Was the problem Rob Gallas? Winning does cure all, but even before last year the Sox were headed in a better direction. THIS IS A GREAT SITE!!

Lip Man 1
05-19-2006, 06:33 PM
*Brooks Boyer as opposed to Rob Gallas

*Ozzie Guillen as opposed to Manager Gandhi

*U.S. Cellular Company shelling out 80 million to renovate the 'ballmall.'

*And the Sox team payroll around 100 million as opposed to that 'small/medium market' garbage.

As you can see 100 million buys you the talent to win. 50 million doesn't.

Lip

JB98
05-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Hiring Ozzie was the best thing the Sox ever did. I still don't agree with some of the managerial moves he makes, but you can't argue with the results. Since he has been manager, the team has given us an effort every day. That's a change from the previous regime. Guillen has given a breath of fresh air to a franchise that was slowly dying under Manuel's backwards ways.

As far as the actual ballpark experience, all I care about is winning. If we win, I have a great time. If we lose, I'm pissed. But FWIW, I think the consensus on the renovations is very favorable.

Frontman
05-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Ozzie's hiring.

The trade for Thome.

Giving Scotty Pods the time to get back into the groove.

Having a deep enough bench who can pull their weight when needed.

Crede picking up where he left off last year.

And two simple words.

Starting FREAKING Pitching!

:)

Tragg
05-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Ozzie gets the most out of his players and keeps them happy, and keeps them fresh. One of his techniques - the weekly, if not more often, B team - seems to help that regard in the long run, as frustrating it is on B team day.

Chisox003
05-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Umm...winning?

elrod
05-19-2006, 07:39 PM
The big thing is having a plan. After watching the Twins win year after year, Kenny Williams decided to do our own version of pitching, small ball, and defense. So he jettisoned Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee and went after speed and contact guys like Pods and Iguchi. He also finally decided to have five good starters. Then there was Ozzie, who made players who've had problems elsewhere (AJ, Carl, etc.) fit in great here. And then there's Don Cooper, who turned around Jose Contreras, taught Jenks how to be a great closer and gave Garland confidence. It's a lot of things, really, but it starts with having an overall plan. That's what Cleveland did after 2003, and now they're looking strong. That's what Detroit did after that debacle of 2003. That's what Minnesota did after 2000. We just started from a better position than Cleveland, Minnesota or Detroit did, so we had higher to go. And we had some great pieces already in place, like Konerko and Buehrle.

Trav
05-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Hiring Ozzie was the best thing the Sox ever did. I still don't agree with some of the managerial moves he makes, but you can't argue with the results. Since he has been manager, the team has given us an effort every day. That's a change from the previous regime. Guillen has given a breath of fresh air to a franchise that was slowly dying under Manuel's backwards ways.

As far as the actual ballpark experience, all I care about is winning. If we win, I have a great time. If we lose, I'm pissed. But FWIW, I think the consensus on the renovations is very favorable.

The trade for Uribe was a great one. Certainly one of the most underrated that KW has made. They gave up a 2b who has gone down to the minors while playing with CO and is now on the Cards. Meanwhile, all Uribe has done is switch positions to one of the most difficult and seperate himself from the average SS. This is a guy who has plenty of range and a cannon for an arm. He does everything the wrong way but he does it all well. Give Ozzie credit for seeing a MLB ready SS in prospect 2B. After that, everything kind of falls into place. They now needed a 2b, a position that is much easeir to fill and wound up getting a great player in Iguchi. He has really been the perfect match for Pods at the top of the order. Not many hitters can give themselves up like he does. He really knows how to use his bat. There are not many teams that have a lead off hitter like Pods and even fewer still that have a great 2nd hitter like Iguchi.

To me, Pods and Iguchi are the keys to the Offense and the key to the Sox winning last year. Outside of the pitching, of course. They really make this team fun to watch and was something I was really looking forward to at the beginning of last year. I wasn't even thinking WS, I was just thinking about how great it would be to watch good old fashion baseball. And to me, it all started with getting Uribe.

ode to veeck
05-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Ozzie's hiring.

Giving Scotty Pods the time to get back into the groove.

Ozzie giving a lot of players time to get into the groove: Pods, Jon Garland, Iguchi, and many more. This year, Brian Anderson and Uribe come to mind. He'll get Garland back into a groove again too. Ozzie is a good judge of raw taelnt and good (most of the time) at getting it out of his players.

hawkjt
05-20-2006, 10:52 AM
#1 difference between the second place finishes of the last 10 + years and the last 1.25 years?

Health!

Whether it is good scouting or luck- the sox have had a group of unusually healthy starters the last few years and the everyday lineup also.

Manuel had all his teams in contention but like ozzie in 04 when he lost maggs and frank, after 2000 his teams were riddled with injuries.

but Brooks has been a refreshing addition and his timing was impeccable. Gallas was retired on the job for years. I will never forget his comment when I complained to him that the sox were snubbing midwest sox fans with the bad signal on am1000 that did not reach Wis,Iowa,or central illinois.

'' We dont really have fans in those areas anyway.''

Nice attitude , Rob.

voodoochile
05-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Pretty much everything.

Whatever the team has touched has turned to gold in the last few years.

The things that stand out to me are:

KW

Ozzie

Cooper

Starting pitching

and of course Brooks...

Jurr
05-20-2006, 11:01 AM

*And the Sox team payroll around 100 million as opposed to that 'small/medium market' garbage.

Lip
Well, to spend the money, you've gotta make a product to win...that gets you enough money to become a big market team. Happened to Atlanta, Cleveland, and others during the 90's. To win with what the Sox could spend, they needed a little help.

The biggest thing in my mind was to bring in a network of staff and personnel that wanted nothing but to see the Sox win. They brought in a former shortstop to manage the team, who had a personal interest in winning for THAT franchise, who had also been around championship coaches and teams since being with the Sox.

Ozzie then surrounded himself with former Sox players who share that passion for the team. A former first baseman, second baseman, outfielder, and designated hitter that all played significant time with the Sox filled out the coaching staff. They all did whatever they could to win.

Ozzie had been around winning ballclubs, and he knew what it would take to win. In Atlanta, it was done with pitching. In Florida, it was pitching and fundamental baseball. He knew what to do, and KW had the balls to piece together those players that could carry out Ozzie's plan.

When all of the parts are planned out and put together, beautiful things can happen. You knew Chicago would support a winner, and here we are. Big market money and a new winning tradition.

rwcescato
05-20-2006, 11:02 AM

Lip

Mark, you forgot to mention the hiring of GM Kenny Williams. He has as much or more passion for this team and city than any of the fans.
Rich

Frank the Tank
05-20-2006, 11:12 AM

Lip

Now if they could just invest $1,500 and put some portable toilets in the ramps......... Its hard to enjoy a game when your blowing 45 minutes in line waiting for the john.