View Full Version : *Official* Sox Slap the Cubbies Postgame thread 5/19

DickAllen72
05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: Go Sox!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

LongLiveFisk
05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Way to go Sox!!!! :bandance: :gulp:

2 more for the SWEEP!!

P.S. Are my eyes deceiving me? Was there a postgame thread I just didn't see?? If so feel free to merge/delete. :D:

DickAllen72
05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Yesterday's Cub "goat" (hehehe) tries to make amends by pushing Crede's hand off the bag.

Maddux loses his cool because the ump doesn't help him out by calling balls 6 inches off the plate strikes.

Konerko being Konerko, Buehrle being Buehrle. :gulp:

JB98
05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Maddux: Who is Mark Buehrle?

getonbckthr
05-19-2006, 05:46 PM
DUDE!!!!!!

WhteSox725
05-19-2006, 05:47 PM

What happened with all that Maddux for Cy Young talk that the media was drooling all over a few weeks ago?

LongLiveFisk
05-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Oh sure...steal my postgame thread title. :tongue:

JB98
05-19-2006, 05:48 PM
What happened with all that Maddux for Cy Young talk that the media was drooling all over a few weeks ago?

Poor Greggie wasn't getting his usual two-foot-wide plate today. That's a shame.

DickAllen72
05-19-2006, 05:49 PM

"Oh, that Mark Buehrle! :D:

HotelWhiteSox
05-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Sweet win, looked like Pods messed with Maddux, the rest of the offense capitalized, and Buerhle was mowed down the AAA lineup.

Saw a Comcast pregame interview with Ernie Banks where he asked the other HOF members what it was like to play in a World Series and they all made fun of him and how he had no chance since he was a Cub. They are a joke in every respect.

This series has lost its luster. It may be their World Series, but we already won the real thing, and are looking forward to go after it again. Much more interested in divisional opponents

Chips
05-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Good to see Mark mow 'em down and get back on track.

GO SOX:D:

Muopsies
05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
How was the crowd? Anything of note?

santo=dorf
05-19-2006, 05:58 PM
:burly
"Who was Greg Maddux?"

Lip Man 1
05-19-2006, 06:03 PM
A win is always nice.....nice because it helps get the taste of dung out of everyone's mouth following the joke series in Tampa and nicer because it's the Cubs.

Lip

batmanZoSo
05-19-2006, 06:04 PM
That was fun. Nice dominating effort. Didn't you have a feeling the Sox'd wake up once they saw blue and red? :cool:

It looked like more Tampa Bay ball in the first, but that was all she wrote on that. Sweep these guys, it's been too long. If that happens, the rivalry will never be more one-sided--we win WS, sweep them head-to-head. Unless we sweep them again in Wrigley of course...

cheeses_h_rice
05-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Only got to see a few minutes of the game due to work, but hey, have you noticed the Flubs are only 5.5 games out..................of having the worst record in all of baseball (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings?date=20060519&type=reg&br=9&year=2006&column=gamesBehind&order=false&st=2)?

:cool:

Deebs14
05-19-2006, 06:06 PM
It's always great to beat those *******s no matter how bad they are! :bandance:

Game went by so quick I barely got through half my 12 pack...thanks Mark! :redneck

Chicago
05-19-2006, 06:11 PM
did anyone see any signs or hear any chants of 1908??? I didn't see/hear anything.

WhteSox725
05-19-2006, 06:13 PM
That was fun. Nice dominating effort. Didn't you have a feeling the Sox'd wake up once they saw blue and red? :cool:

It looked like more Tampa Bay ball in the first, but that was all she wrote on that. Sweep these guys, it's been too long. If that happens, the rivalry will never be more one-sided--we win WS, sweep them head-to-head. Unless we sweep them again in Wrigley of course...

Very good game after the first inning. It'll be interesting to see which Sox team shows up tomorrow. The team that generally doesn't do well against a pitcher they haven't seen before or the team we've grown to love over the last two seasons.

daveeym
05-19-2006, 06:41 PM
In the post game right now Gail Fisher said it was an interesting crowd this time since it's usually 50/50 cubs fans/sox fans in either stadium. She said this time it seemed 80-90% Sox fans. Nice job!!!

spiffie
05-19-2006, 06:41 PM
did anyone see any signs or hear any chants of 1908??? I didn't see/hear anything.
The crowd was very mellow today. Even in the upper corners of the upper deck the worst it got was a few fans throwing peanut shells at each other's signs. It felt just like any other game really.

UofCSoxFan
05-19-2006, 06:42 PM

I was in 519 with my 1908 sign...got a ton of cheers....the espn.com article on the game mentions another 1908 sign.

As big as hit as that was the other side of my sign "Extend Dusty's Contract NOW" got a ton of cheers and laughs on the way out.

DumpJerry
05-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Just got in from the game. The most surprising thing about the crowd today was that after the 5th inning, there were still Cub fans there.

Did the city shut down the bars?

itsnotrequired
05-19-2006, 06:54 PM
This was my first Sox-Cub game. Based on stories I heard, I was expecting a bunch of nonsense. Pretty tame crowd, at least in our section. The only real bozo was a Cubs guy who stood in front of one of the tunnels in the Upper Deck. He got some razzing and yelled "Stuff it, Sox fans! 1-0!" Funny thing was, it was about 10 minutes after Konerko singled in Iguchi to tie the game.

:rolleyes:

Let it be known that when we take junior to the games, the Sox don't lose. 7-0 record when he is there.

:bandance:

batmanZoSo
05-19-2006, 06:55 PM
This was my first Sox-Cub game. Based on stories I heard, I was expecting a bunch of nonsense. Pretty tame crowd, at least in our section. The only real bozo was a Cubs guy who stood in front of one of the tunnels in the Upper Deck. He got some razzing and yelled "Stuff it, Sox fans! 1-0!" Funny thing was, it was about 10 minutes after Konerko singled in Iguchi to tie the game.

Let it be known that when we take junior to the games, the Sox don't lose. 7-0 record when he is there.

Ey, nice goin', Junia! :thumbsup:

itsnotrequired
05-19-2006, 07:06 PM
For those not in the know, the game is replaying on Comcast right now.

RowanDye
05-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Thank you Dusty Baker, the Cubs, and the scheduling Gods. I didn't like being in 2nd place.

Chisox003
05-19-2006, 07:22 PM

Ive been to like 8 or 9 of these games, and this one was BY FAR the tamest yet.

The "rivalry" that once was has lost its luster, and you can see it in the crowds (Thankfully). We're the best team and baseball, end of story.

Good win, let's get tomorrow and take the series before getting greedy.

elrod
05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
This Cub lineup was much worse than the Tampa Bay lineup. I mean, who did you fear in that lineup? Ramirez is hitting .216 and looks awful at the plate. Barrett at cleanup? Todd Walker doesn't pack a lot of power. Murton is usually their clutch guy and he did nothing in the first inning when they had a chance. Strangely, the only guy that made me feel a little uncomfortable was Henry Blanco, because of his success against Buehrle before. I almost felt bad for them. If Lee were in that lineup they'd certainly be better. But how much better? Is Lee's absence the reason Ramirez is at .216? Or that Juan Pierre is a joke?

slobes
05-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Great game all around. Buehrle=untouchable. He pitched out of his mind today.

Look out Pujols, Thome is breathing down your neck...

flo-B-flo
05-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Maddux loses his cool because the ump doesn't help him out by calling balls 6 inches off the plate strikes. The first thing I was gonna write.

flo-B-flo
05-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Much more interested in divisional opponents The second thing I wanted to write.

HomeFish
05-19-2006, 07:49 PM
My issue with the game:

Maddux clearly had trouble locating today. He was throwing a lot of low balls. When you're up against a pitcher who's out of control, why swing early? Take the free pass, drive his pitch count up, let him get frustrated with himself.

Yet, lo and behold, lots of Sox hitters took early swings today. The second inning was atrocious in that regard. And don't get me started on Cintron's DP ball -- first pitch swing at a ball that was low. He grounded into a double play on ball 1.

NSSoxFan
05-19-2006, 07:51 PM
My issue with the game:

Maddux clearly had trouble locating today. He was throwing a lot of low balls. When you're up against a pitcher who's out of control, why swing early? Take the free pass, drive his pitch count up, let him get frustrated with himself.

Yet, lo and behold, lots of Sox hitters took early swings today. The second inning was atrocious in that regard. And don't get me started on Cintron's DP ball -- first pitch swing at a ball that was low. He grounded into a double play on ball 1.

We won, right?

****ing stupid flubby troll.

flo-B-flo
05-19-2006, 07:52 PM
A win is always nice.....nice because it helps get the taste of dung out of everyone's mouth following the joke series in Tampa and nicer because it's the Cubs.

Lip The third. Good win all around. Thome is dangerous. Except for the first, a fine performance. Buehrle was satan. Sox just gotta beat the **** teams. The tiggers are not a **** team.

GoSox2K3
05-19-2006, 07:52 PM
If you want to see some real dark clouds, check out our opponent's gamethread. I'll give alot of these guys credit for being brutally honest.:cool:

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=31871&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

JB98
05-19-2006, 07:55 PM
My issue with the game:

Maddux was repeatedly missing IN THE ZONE. We had a lot of good pitches to hit, and for the overwhelming majority of the game, we hit them. You don't sit there, taking pitches right down the middle, hoping to coax walks and drive up pitch counts. That's ****ing Oakland A's baseball, and it's a bull**** philosophy. I thought our hitters had an excellent game plan against Maddux today.

patbooyah
05-19-2006, 08:45 PM
there is a reason he wears the hat he does.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140&d=1123718591

LongLiveFisk
05-19-2006, 08:59 PM
If you want to see some real dark clouds, check out our opponent's gamethread. I'll give alot of these guys credit for being brutally honest.:cool:

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=31871&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I read some of that thread...man, those guys are incredibly tame compared to the gang here at WSI. :redneck

SOecks
05-19-2006, 09:21 PM
For those not in the know, the game is replaying on Comcast right now.

I went to the game, sat in traffic to get back to the west side, and then proceeded to watch it on Comcast all over again just now so I could watch Buehrle's gem again. That's 2 games for the price of 1 :D:. Great game today. Lets get em tomorrow.

FarWestChicago
05-19-2006, 09:24 PM
My issue with the game:

Yet, lo and behold, lots of Sox hitters took early swings today. The second inning was atrocious in that regard. And don't get me started on Cintron's DP ball -- first pitch swing at a ball that was low. He grounded into a double play on ball 1.Well done, Homey. With the way the Flubs destroyed the Sox our guys should be blasted. I don't get the "feel good" nature of this thread. People around here are acting like the Sox beat the **** out of the Flubs. It's a good thing insightful posters like you are around to remind us the Flubs opened up a can and we are two games behind the Kitties!!

PaulDrake
05-19-2006, 09:26 PM
My issue with the game:

Yet, lo and behold, lots of Sox hitters took early swings today. The second inning was atrocious in that regard. And don't get me started on Cintron's DP ball -- first pitch swing at a ball that was low. He grounded into a double play on ball 1. Did we watch the same game?

Unregistered
05-19-2006, 09:33 PM

Well at least they're coming around. Kinda sad, actually:

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:04 pm
I'm tired of being a loser, and I'm tired of rooting for losers.

chisoxmike
05-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Maddux had a meltdown today. Buehrle...in my book only gave up one hit, that hit in the first inning was a bull**** bunt. Anyway, these early crosstown showdowns don't seem right to me...weather wasn't great.

This is the Sox team I want to see for the rest of the season.

Funny, the crowd was a bit subduded. I guess we all used it up during the series...or now have better things to worry about.:D:

anyway...
:winner

Unregistered
05-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Well done, Homey. With the way the Flubs destroyed the Sox our guys should be blasted. I don't get the "feel good" nature of this thread. People around here are acting like the Sox beat the **** out of the Flubs. It's a good thing insightful posters like you are around to remind us the Flubs opened up a can and we are two games behind the Kitties!!You mods have the patience of saints. I would've banned Homefish about 150 different times just on principle... :cool:

elrod
05-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Last year, when we beat the Cubs 12-2 in the first game of the series, I was walking on air. It was the 8th win in a row, and the Cubs featured a strong lineup at the time. This time we beat them 6-1 and it hardly registered in my mind. Total domination last year, and total domination this year. Why doesn't it seem to hit home as much this time? Hmm. What's changed in the last year? Oh, that's right, the White Sox won the World Series. I now get up more for a game against the Devil Rays than I do against the lowly Cubs.

SABRSox
05-19-2006, 09:53 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4364&d=1147671384

Back in 1st place. Sweet...

I want Mags back
05-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I havent seen this mentioned yet, but i thought CSN did a good job of staying on air when Maddux was pulled, for about 10-15 seconds after Dusty came out, so we could hear the roar of our fans wi8th HEY HEY GOOD BYE.

Great game, lets hope freddy is as good as MB tomorrow

daveeym
05-19-2006, 10:18 PM

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=31871&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 You know why? They gave up about 2 weeks ago. NSBB is a total cubs fan and baseball board aberration. A. they are very hard on the team and split 50/50 on apoligists and realists. B. they are major sabermaticians and while they rip the crap out of BP (baseball prospective or whatever it's called) the majority is freaking billy bean psycho stat heads. The funny thing about that is, when you look at BP, NSBB, FOBB they just show how much bs it all is. They all subscribe to the same theory but they all manipulate the stats in their own favor.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, Homefish get's his own thread again. He dropped his nugget of wisdom in the game thread and got ripped and the fact that he brought up cintron again is icing on the cake.

SOXSINCE'70
05-19-2006, 10:30 PM
:walnuts :dye:
4 RBI's between them.

:burly
CG,2 hits allowed.

Great start.Time for Freddy Garcia to kick Rich
Hill's ASS tomorrow.I'll be at Shoeless Joe's.
I loooooooove bars that believe the Sox aren't a fluke.:cool:

ShoelessJoeS
05-19-2006, 10:48 PM
For those not in the know, the game is replaying on Comcast right now.I'm waiting for the 2 am replay after I get home from the bars tonight, as I had to work 3-10:30 and didn't see a minute of the game today. From what I've read in this thread, I can't wait to see MB and PK rip the Cubs a new *******!!!!

flo-B-flo
05-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Greg Maddux is a great, great pitcher. I don't even care that he blows into his hand, licks his hand and wipes it on his hat and then touches his hat before pitches. He didn't get his 21 inch plate in todays game. And none of this matters because he has over 300 wins and will be in the hall. It is par for the course that the c--- would get him back when he is on the downside of his time. The Sox are a good offensive team and will feast on guys like Maddux because of the many contact hitters they have. Maddux downfall is the difference in velocity between his pitches. You don't have to worry about getting blown away by a good fastball. The guy is a legend.

South Side
05-19-2006, 11:08 PM
My issue with the game:

Am I missing something here? Why has he not been banned? Is it a joke?

flo-B-flo
05-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Well done, Homey. With the way the Flubs destroyed the Sox our guys should be blasted. I don't get the "feel good" nature of this thread. People around here are acting like the Sox beat the **** out of the Flubs. It's a good thing insightful posters like you are around to remind us the Flubs opened up a can and we are two games behind the Kitties!! Sincerely, should his be teal? And is true.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2006, 12:04 AM
My issue with the game:

Yet, lo and behold, lots of Sox hitters took early swings today. The second inning was atrocious in that regard. And don't get me started on Cintron's DP ball -- first pitch swing at a ball that was low. He grounded into a double play on ball 1.Homey, you have to be reaching the point where you read your own **** and say "what was I thinking?" Either that, or you've simply become a parody of yourself.

oeo
05-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Homey, you have to be reaching the point where you read your own **** and say "what was I thinking?" Either that, or you've simply become a parody of yourself.
For once, I can't say I can disagree with him. They still won the game, so I'm not going to whine about it, but the bottom of the order was just terrible today. They were doing exactly what HomeFish said, swinging at first pitches, that's why every other inning was a short one.

The top of the order, OTOH, was great. Again, I'm not mad and I don't really care, but the game really could have been a HUGE blowout.

IlliniSox4Life
05-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Just thought of this - weren't the Sox supposed to wear the throwback 1906 jerseys this series? or is that just sunday?

markopat
05-20-2006, 12:22 AM
This was a heck of a lot more fun to watch than the last series! NICE outing by MB!! Thome...Keep swingin hard! I am smiling...Let's get em again tomorrow!!!

:supernana:

voodoochile
05-20-2006, 12:39 AM
My issue with the game:

This has got to be closest to the most inane thing you have ever posted on these forums. The Sox simply spank Maddux and the flubbies by hitting the ball the way they did and you want to complain about not taking enough walks? They hung a 6 spot on the board and BurlyMon did the rest. Walks... schmalks...

awesomefan
05-20-2006, 01:30 AM
This was a very awesome game & the Sox did want I thought the Sox would do WIN & in a big way.

Had to listen to the first few inning on the car radio on my job, but got home in time to watch the wonderful innings that were left.:wink:

IlliniSox4Life
05-20-2006, 02:40 AM

I read a lot of that (actually, all of it - I was bored, give me a break). It made me laugh at how much they hate their team and it made me appreciate ours so much more. They actually had some pretty funny comments here and there.

QCIASOXFAN
05-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Lets go Sox!

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2006, 01:26 PM
AWESOME game to go to! That Buehrle was a thing of beauty!

The Cubbies Gawn!!!

RedPinStripes
05-20-2006, 05:39 PM
My issue with the game:

You're an IDIOT!