PDA

View Full Version : Veterans = World Series

34rancher
02-01-2002, 07:02 PM
Sorry, but think of the World Series. I cannot think of a team led by young players to get there, let alone win it. Face it, this is a good move (especially since it is only for 1 year). I love it taht we are "trying" to make our team better instead of sitting on our butts and complaing that we are not trying to win. This move cost us nothing. 1.2 million is cheaper than Singleton, and Rowand will get a chance to play. Lofton can't play every day. Plus, it is a "name". This means that we get more press, especially from ESPN during the season.

34rancher
02-01-2002, 07:09 PM
Plus, think of this line-up
1. Lofton
2. Valentin
3. Thomas
4. Maggs
5. Konerko
6. Lee
7. Crede
8. Catcher
9. Ray
Kind of a bang, bang, boom offense. Think of Ray with NO pressure hitting. Ouch. OR put Ray 2 and Valentin 9.

KempersRS
02-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Sorry, but think of the World Series. I cannot think of a team led by young players to get there, let alone win it. Face it, this is a good move (especially since it is only for 1 year). I love it taht we are "trying" to make our team better instead of sitting on our butts and complaing that we are not trying to win. This move cost us nothing. 1.2 million is cheaper than Singleton, and Rowand will get a chance to play. Lofton can't play every day. Plus, it is a "name". This means that we get more press, especially from ESPN during the season.

I disagree. This team should have rebuilt years ago instead of just bouncing back and forth in their decision. They would be rolling right along now if they did. You don't stray from the path just because they had a good season. You keep at it, and eventually you will have a team that will contend for years. Now, you may need some veterans to go to the series, true. Why sign a Lofton? You get someone who didn't just have one of their worst season's of their career. You get someone who is almost a sure bet to bring you some solid numbers. They want to play with the big boys, but they make pee wee league moves.

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:16 PM
1. Lofton
2. Valentin
3. Thomas
4. Maggs
5. Konerko
6. Lee
7. Crede
8. Catcher
9. Ray
Kind of a bang, bang, boom offense. Think of Ray with NO pressure hitting. Ouch. OR put Ray 2 and Valentin 9.

Swap Royce and Crede and you have a lineup.

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
I disagree. This team should have rebuilt years ago instead of just bouncing back and forth in their decision. They would be rolling right along now if they did. You don't stray from the path just because they had a good season.

I think we can agree that the WF Trade was the start of the current rebuilding process. Last year, the organization felt they had a shot at the Series, and tried to add to it. I agree with you when you say, "you don't stray from the path", but it's tough not to.

AsInWreck
02-01-2002, 07:19 PM
1. Lofton
2. Valentin
3. Thomas
4. Maggs
5. Konerko
6. Lee
7. Crede
8. Catcher
9. Ray

You might as well right in clayton over crede/ i think it'd be more like this--
1 Lofton
2 durham
3 thomas
4 maggs
5 konerko
6 valentin
7 lee
8 catcher
9 clayton

34rancher
02-01-2002, 07:27 PM
I don't get it. You guys seem to think we strayed. How? Thomas, Valentin, Alomar, Ritchie, and now Lofton are the only guys over 30. You have 3 All-Star vets to lead the young guys. I think that this is a great pick up. Time for some fun.

34rancher
02-01-2002, 07:30 PM
Plus, he automatically makes Lee look better in LF defensively.
AND..........Lofton must believe that the Sox can play, or why come here for chump change?

KempersRS
02-01-2002, 07:32 PM
I don't get it. You guys seem to think we strayed. How? Thomas, Valentin, Alomar, Ritchie, and now Lofton are the only guys over 30. You have 3 All-Star vets to lead the young guys. I think that this is a great pick up. Time for some fun.

Alomar, Lofton, Perry, Baines, Canseco were all those type of moves. None of which are good enough to make a big push at the playoffs, yet they are vets which take time from guys who should be on the path up.

Fisk Fan
02-01-2002, 07:34 PM

I don't see the three All-Stars on this list....

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan

Thomas, Lofton, and Alomar.

34rancher
02-01-2002, 07:36 PM
The difference is only Lofton had speed and defensive capabilities. He is only 34 people. That is a lot younger than those guys. History tells us that people usually only stray from career averages for one year, then they rebound. I still love you guys, but you guys are nuts. CHEAP LEADERSHIP.

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:36 PM
Plus, he automatically makes Lee look better in LF defensively.
AND..........Lofton must believe that the Sox can play, or why come here for chump change?

Not many teams, after him. If I had to choose between the Tigers and Sox, it wouldn't be a tough decision.

34rancher
02-01-2002, 07:37 PM
On the other hand........I just hope that we have not become the 98? Orioles. LOL.

KempersRS
02-01-2002, 07:39 PM
The difference is only Lofton had speed and defensive capabilities. He is only 34 people. That is a lot younger than those guys. History tells us that people usually only stray from career averages for one year, then they rebound. I still love you guys, but you guys are nuts. CHEAP LEADERSHIP.

It's just a low risk little gamble! Lofton is declining and his value is at an all time low. We go and get him and can say we were geniuses if he plays well, but who cares if he does bad cause we got him for nothing. I hate that style of running a team, thats low budget ball.

Fisk Fan
02-01-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan

Was Lofton an All-Star last year, because I know that Alomar and Thomas were not?

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:43 PM
I hate that style of running a team, thats low budget ball.

Jerry Reinsdorf likes that style.

34rancher
02-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Good, bad, or ugly. It has us typing away like madmen. Reporters talking about it during Soxfest. If nothing else, it has us talking baseball. More impotant......It has Chicago talking "White Sox" baseball.
GO SOX!!!
I am out of here. Have fun and play nice boys.

czalgosz
02-01-2002, 07:46 PM

It's just a low risk little gamble! Lofton is declining and his value is at an all time low. We go and get him and can say we were geniuses if he plays well, but who cares if he does bad cause we got him for nothing. I hate that style of running a team, thats low budget ball.

Sorry, but that's the face of modern baseball. Look around. Every team is either playing low-budget ball, or they are the Yankees. If you don't like it, become a Yankee fan.

KempersRS
02-01-2002, 07:47 PM
Good, bad, or ugly. It has us typing away like madmen. Reporters talking about it during Soxfest. If nothing else, it has us talking baseball. More impotant......It has Chicago talking "White Sox" baseball.
GO SOX!!!
I am out of here. Have fun and play nice boys.

No doubt about it, racnher. This is the most fun these boards have been in a while. I forgot how much fun it was talking about baseball. Can't wait for the season!

KempersRS
02-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Sorry, but that's the face of modern baseball. Look around. Every team is either playing low-budget ball, or they are the Yankees. If you don't like it, become a Yankee fan.

I disagree. Look at the A's. They looked like low budget, but when it was crunch time, they went out and got Dye. When the Sox are in crunch time, they look for the best from the bargain basement.

Huisj
02-01-2002, 07:51 PM
So what's going to happen when come the middle of May, Lofton is hitting .255 and has an OBP near .300? Are the sox going to cut him? Or are they just going to let him play like crap because "we got him for cheap."? I think this is a retarted, roster clogging move. He's really the same kind of pickup as Alomar was last year--we might have a hole, so lets sign a crappy injury prone guy who used to be good, and then watch him suck.

czalgosz
02-01-2002, 07:54 PM

I disagree. Look at the A's. They looked like low budget, but when it was crunch time, they went out and got Dye. When the Sox are in crunch time, they look for the best from the bargain basement.

Yes, they got Dye, and that was an outstanding mid-season acquisition. In the long run, though, that cost them any chance they had of keeping Johnny Damon.

Anyway, mid-season trades are a whole different beast than pre-season pickups. Talk to me in mid-summer. That's the time to go after a quality starter or another big bat if one of our guys is struggling.

czalgosz
02-01-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
So what's going to happen when come the middle of May, Lofton is hitting .255 and has an OBP near .300? Are the sox going to cut him? Or are they just going to let him play like crap because "we got him for cheap."? I think this is a retarted, roster clogging move. He's really the same kind of pickup as Alomar was last year--we might have a hole, so lets sign a crappy injury prone guy who used to be good, and then watch him suck.

I'm still not sold on this deal, but I don't think the Sox would have a problem benching or cutting Lofton if he sucks that bad.

AsInWreck
02-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

I'm still not sold on this deal, but I don't think the Sox would have a problem benching or cutting Lofton if he sucks that bad.

Gee, that torn hang nail looks pretty bad, kenny.
Looks like its time for the 60 day DL.

cornball
02-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Look at the positive. In the past three years KL has averaged 130 games a season, which is probably what he will play this year too......but that was due to injuries and such..... but he also averaged 103 runs scored. Durham averaged 111 runs in 152 games over the same time frame.

What will you say if the Sox are running like crazy and out to a great start? If KL is healthy he is a pain in the ass on the bases. I am glad he is one our side for this year!

In the past few years especially last year the team went as Ray did. Ray will be in a great spot to drive in runs now.

RichH55
02-02-2002, 03:10 AM
Low risk, costs you about as much as Singleton.....and Kenny should come motivated at the very least......We arent talking a breakdown like Sandy here, Lofton is the quick fix and LTP is the future....as long as the LTP part of the stays constant...Im happy

RichH55
02-02-2002, 03:11 AM
This strikes me as kind a Schueler move......low risk, former star/good player trying to make amends and the Sox give him a shot....worked before: Burks, Tartabull(to an extent)........