PDA

View Full Version : Cubs/Sox Series

cubsfan2883
05-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Judging by the name I believe you see who I am rooting for.. however that is really neither here nor there.. I am looking forward to this series for a few reasons..
1- I would like to see the Sox on an up close and personal basis. This is in your house. Using your rules. Jim Thome has looked damn solid this year and PK has also looked good. The Cubs have no sluggers to speak of anymore. So the Sox will have to hit the ball out of the yard to win.. Thome the last week has been struggling.. (.182 prior to last nights game)
2- If the Sox starting rotation woes will continue. You get Jose Conteras back on Sunday who has to this point been the most effective Sox starter.
Also the Pitching Matchup of Buehrle/ Maddux should be very entertaining.. Both are very solid control type pitchers who aren't going to blow anyone away but will work very fast.
3- I want to see if the chemistry is still there for the Sox.
Trading away Aaron Roward in my opinion could end up being the move to regret in 2006.. Not only did you give away a very solid LH pitching prospect (Gio Gonzalez) You also gave away the heart of the Sox OF. The deal of Rowand is like the deal of Loduca by the Dodgers in 04. It destroyed the chemistry. Anyhow, I wish the Sox the best of luck in the series. And to be quite honest I see you taking two out of the three games. The Cubs are slumping coming in. Friday and Saturday will go to the Sox.. Sunday should go back to the Cubs. Game- Time is in 2 hours.. Best of Luck

voodoochile
05-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Well, the OF chemisty hasn't lost anything. If anything the defense is impoved because Anderson is head and shoulders better than ARow. Which isn't saying Rowand was bad, but Anderson is a special defensive talent, IMO.

I also disagree with your assessment that the starting pitching is struggling. A few bad starts does not make for a struggling staff. If anything Vazquez has been better than anticipated, Garland appears to be turning it around and the other three are top tier starters on any team in the league.

Our bullpen has been shaky due to inexperience below the top 3.

Thome as you noted is a total beast and as a result the "chemistry" angle is even less important. The Sox made out like bandits in that trade.

Thanks for the good wishes...

Iwritecode
05-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Judging by the name I believe you see who I am rooting for.. however that is really neither here nor there.. I am looking forward to this series for a few reasons..
1- I would like to see the Sox on an up close and personal basis. This is in your house. Using your rules. Jim Thome has looked damn solid this year and PK has also looked good. The Cubs have no sluggers to speak of anymore. So the Sox will have to hit the ball out of the yard to win.. Thome the last week has been struggling.. (.182 prior to last nights game)
2- If the Sox starting rotation woes will continue. You get Jose Conteras back on Sunday who has to this point been the most effective Sox starter.
Also the Pitching Matchup of Buehrle/ Maddux should be very entertaining.. Both are very solid control type pitchers who aren't going to blow anyone away but will work very fast.
Trading away Aaron Roward in my opinion could end up being the move to regret in 2006.. Not only did you give away a very solid LH pitching prospect (Gio Gonzalez) You also gave away the heart of the Sox OF. The deal of Rowand is like the deal of Loduca by the Dodgers in 04. It destroyed the chemistry. Anyhow, I wish the Sox the best of luck in the series. And to be quite honest I see you taking two out of the three games. The Cubs are slumping coming in. Friday and Saturday will go to the Sox.. Sunday should go back to the Cubs. Game- Time is in 2 hours.. Best of Luck

1 - The Sox won't necessarily have to hit the ball out of the yard to win. With the Cubs offense, just score a few runs and keep them off the board.

2 - I don't think the starting rotation has been too bad with the exception of Garland so far this year. The past few weeks have been a combination of Garland being bad, Haeger & McCarthy starting and the bullpen blowing late leads. Vazquez has had 2 or 3 bad innings in his last couple of starts. Buehrle had one really bad inning and then threw up zeros the rest of the game.

3 - The chemistry is fine IMHO. Rowand will be missed sure but the new guys have fit in with the team with no problem. Ozzie is a big part of that as well.

I've got a feeling today's game will be a struggle. Sox take Saturday and Sunday's games. :cool:

cubsfan2883
05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
1 - The Sox won't necessarily have to hit the ball out of the yard to win. With the Cubs offense, just score a few runs and keep them off the board.

2 - I don't think the starting rotation has been too bad with the exception of Garland so far this year. The past few weeks have been a combination of Garland being bad, Haeger & McCarthy starting and the bullpen blowing late leads. Vazquez has had 2 or 3 bad innings in his last couple of starts. Buehrle had one really bad inning and then threw up zeros the rest of the game.

3 - The chemistry is fine IMHO. Rowand will be missed sure but the new guys have fit in with the team with no problem. Ozzie is a big part of that as well.

I've got a feeling today's game will be a struggle. Sox take Saturday and Sunday's games. :cool:

1- The Sox have to hit the ball out of the yard if they want to win.. The Cubs can score runs.. Dusty Baker manages like an AL manager anyway..

2- I disagree.. Garland has been much different than he did in 05' ..Orlando Hernandez got out to a great 05.. no one has stepped up like that and Buehrle is Buehrle.. Vazquez is pitching average 3.76 4-2.. not remarkable..

3-The grit and determination that Rowand brings to a game is unmatchable IMO.. I would much rather have Rowand in CF than Anderson.. Just my own opinion.

SOXfnNlansing
05-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Trading away Aaron Roward in my opinion could end up being the move to regret in 2006.. Not only did you give away a very solid LH pitching prospect (Gio Gonzalez) You also gave away the heart of the Sox OF. The deal of Rowand is like the deal of Loduca by the Dodgers in 04. It destroyed the chemistry. Anyhow, I wish the Sox the best of luck in the series. And to be quite honest I see you taking two out of the three games. The Cubs are slumping coming in. Friday and Saturday will go to the Sox.. Sunday should go back to the Cubs. Game- Time is in 2 hours.. Best of Luck We won the World Series:bandance: so we don't need your imput on 'chemistry' or 'how to win'

SOXPHILE
05-19-2006, 03:05 PM
1- The Sox have to hit the ball out of the yard if they want to win.. The Cubs can score runs.. Dusty Baker manages like an AL manager anyway..

Wrong. In 2003-2004, yes. That's what they were built do do. Last year, they showed they could win without relying only on the homerun. This year, same thing. That said, it doesn't mean that they won't hit the homerun. This offense can bash them out on a regular basis, but they are so good, they can also do it other ways, like take pitches for walks, stringing together singles and doubles, steal bases, etc.

Also, based on the last 2-3 weeks, the Cubs have actually shown that they CAN'T score that many runs. Johnny Baker manages like an AL manager ? These last 2+ seasons have shown that he can't even manage like a Major League Manager.

voodoochile
05-19-2006, 03:14 PM

2- I disagree.. Garland has been much different than he did in 05' ..Orlando Hernandez got out to a great 05.. no one has stepped up like that and Buehrle is Buehrle.. Vazquez is pitching average 3.76 4-2.. not remarkable..

3-The grit and determination that Rowand brings to a game is unmatchable IMO.. I would much rather have Rowand in CF than Anderson.. Just my own opinion.

3.76 may not be remarkable in the NL where the lack of a DH takes .5 off of any ERA, but that's the equivalent of 3.26 in the NL and that's just fine.

What do you mean manages like an AL manager? I honestly have no idea what that means.

Scott G. F.
05-19-2006, 03:14 PM
We won the World Series:bandance: so we don't need your imput on 'chemistry' or 'how to win'

But really that was last year. Last I looked. :rolleyes:

voodoochile
05-19-2006, 03:16 PM
But really that was last year. Last I looked. :rolleyes:

And you're a troll... last I looked...:rolleyes:

MadetoOrta
05-19-2006, 03:19 PM
I wonder how Sox fans coming with courtesy [as this cubs fan certainly appears to have] would be treated on a cub fan website? Is there a place for honest discourse without resorting to attendance and neighborhood references? In light of what I've read today about the cubune, I'm now more convinced than ever that the cubune hinders the cubs on a win-loss basis. The cubune could care less about winning. I welcome honest, true cub fans who want to engage in above-board honest discussion of the two teams.

Unregistered
05-19-2006, 03:20 PM

The Cubs just got off of a stretch where in 11 games they scored a whopping total of 13 runs, or 1.2 per game.

I take it you don't watch a lot of games...

minutia
05-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Dusty Baker could not manage McDonalds. He is terrible. Today's matchup should be good because there are 2 very good pitchers taking the hill today. IMHO I think Greg Maddux is the best pitcher the Cubs have despite the past 2 rough outtings he had. Today will be a good game but I still think the Sox will be the winner.

C-Dawg
05-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Since when is an offense based on a solo home run every few innings (see Sosa, D. Lee) "managing like an AL manager"? Please explain.

SoxFan64
05-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Dusty Baker could not manage McDonalds.

The last two McDs I have been in -- yes, yes he could. :tongue:

D. TODD
05-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Anything can happen, but the Scrubs offense has been anemic of late, and the Scrubs starting pitching has been far more inconsistent. His points of "strength" seem to make little sense.

minutia
05-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Since when is an offense based on a solo home run every few innings (see Sosa, D. Lee) "managing like an AL manager"? Please explain.

Or managing to pull off a 2 game winning streak?

Erik The Red
05-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Sox haven't had to rely on the long ball so far today to put up the 5 runs they have. And this against the mighty Maddux.

HomeFish
05-19-2006, 05:21 PM
There you go, Cubbie boy, Thome hit the ball out of the park for you.

patbooyah
05-19-2006, 06:05 PM
There you go, Cubbie boy, Thome hit the ball out of the park for you.

i love it when homefish is on our side. :cool:

santo=dorf
05-19-2006, 06:15 PM
And you're a troll... last I looked...:rolleyes:
It's so sad to see Cub fans say crap like that. I imagine if this guy is a Bears fan he wouldn't care about the 20th anniversary this past year?
I don't recall any Bulls fans during the Jordan years yelling "That was last year!!" after the announcer screamed "...AND NOW!!! YOUR WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO BULLS!!!!"

There were Sox fans like me during the summer acting like we won the World Series. I heard it all; "Why don't you wait and see?" "You didn't win it yet."

So first, I was wrong for bragging during the season, saying we hadn't won it yet. Now after we win it I am now informed by Cubbie trolls that I was suppose to only celebrate our title during the 2005 season. :rolleyes:

To quote Lee Elia; "They can kiss my ****ing ass!!!"

samram
05-19-2006, 06:16 PM
I would much rather have Rowand in CF than Anderson.. Just my own opinion.

You should definitely change your opinion.

longshot7
05-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Dusty Baker could not manage McDonalds.

He might get his opportunity soon.