PDA

View Full Version : day game? UGH!

longshot7
05-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Why does game 1 of the Cubs series have to be a day game? Just because those stupid northsiders don't work, it doesn't mean the rest of us don't either. All weekday games should be night games, except for opening day. Is it just me or is the Sox front office totally influenced by the Cubs scheduling?

Tekijawa
05-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Why does game 1 of the Cubs series have to be a day game? Just because those stupid northsiders don't work, it doesn't mean the rest of us don't either. All weekday games should be night games, except for opening day. Is it just me or is the Sox front office totally influenced by the Cubs scheduling?

It's because people who go to these games get DRUNK, and when they are night games they get REALLLLLLY Drunk, and then Do Drunk Stupid things... things that are less likely to happen durring the day.

Iwritecode
05-19-2006, 01:24 PM
It's because people who go to these games get DRUNK, and when they are night games they get REALLLLLLY Drunk, and then Do Drunk Stupid things... things that are less likely to happen durring the day.

That's the theory but I don't think it really matters since people are going to start tailgating/drinking at like 10 AM.

Tekijawa
05-19-2006, 01:27 PM
That's the theory but I don't think it really matters since people are going to start tailgating/drinking at like 10 AM.

It matters when they start Drinking at 10am and the game ends at 6... Well probably 4:30 today... of if they started drinking at 10am and the game ended at 10pm... I know with 4 extra hours of drinking, in my prime, I could do a whole lot more stupid things! Now I'm limited to how far my wife lets me go before putting an end to all of my "entertainment".

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2006, 01:29 PM

It seems to make sense. Have more drunk people on the streets after a day game that ends at 6. This makes rush hour fun.

34 Inch Stick
05-19-2006, 01:29 PM
After experiencing day and night games in this series, I think the day games are a good idea. Night games, and specifically Friday night, tended to collect more drinkers and less good natured ribbing.

longshot7
05-19-2006, 01:38 PM

That is RIDICULOUS. why not just limit the amount of alcohol sold, if that was really the problem.

I think the real reason is that Sox brass have fooled themselves into thinking that all Chicago baseball fans love day baseball during the week, just because the Cubs do. But when you have a blue collar fanbase who have to work.......

It wasn't always this way. Whoever scheduled this game forgot that Sox fans are not Cub fans. It's our park, let's do it our way.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Actually I think Mayor Daley spoke to both organizations about this and specifically asked for day games to reduce the possibility of trouble and damage.

Remember they used to play night games in this series as late as 2000 or 2001.

Lip

Jerko
05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
IIRC, booze IS the reason these are all day games. And they won't limit the alcohol at the game because of one thing: $$$$$$$$.

thepaulbowski
05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
That is RIDICULOUS. why not just limit the amount of alcohol sold, if that was really the problem.

I think the real reason is that Sox brass have fooled themselves into thinking that all Chicago baseball fans love day baseball during the week, just because the Cubs do. But when you have a blue collar fanbase who have to work.......

It wasn't always this way. Whoever scheduled this game forgot that Sox fans are not Cub fans. It's our park, let's do it our way.

So, limiting the amount sold during a game would keep people from showing up loaded? :?:

I love skipping out of work and going to a Sox game during the day.

After attending games at night & during the day. I find the day games to be more enjoyable and the crowd much more tame. Or maybe I'm just starting to get old. :cool:

daveeym
05-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Hey Longshot a :dtroll: has been logging in under your account and making an ass out of himself. Or get yourself some of that tinfoil Hangar likes wearing.

WhteSox725
05-19-2006, 01:49 PM
What sucks about today's game for me is that I have to listen to the Cubs' broadcast on the way home from work today. Some reason my radio will not tune to 670AM.

rdwj
05-19-2006, 01:51 PM

How on earth do you propose to limit alcohol. There is tailgating and all sorts of pregame activity. Not to mention that vendors have NO WAY of telling how much anyone has had to drink.

The "day baseball" theory is just silly. And besides - baseball fans on both sides of town fall into the same demographics - there is no difference between the money we make, the jobs we have or - anything.

The reason is simple. You don't want lots of drunk people around the park at night. If the game ends early enough - most people will go on to other activities and not become a problem to the neighborhood.

FielderJones
05-19-2006, 01:52 PM

:reinsy
"Yes, longshot, that's just what I want to do after pressing the league for home and home series against this sellout-assured opponent. Cut down on $6 per unit concession sales. You've got a job in this organization, right behind Rob Gallas."

Law11
05-19-2006, 01:52 PM

game 1? Try all the games... I think I was at the last night game in this series. back late 90's Wison Alverez vs. Mulholland. Sox won 1-0.

Law11
05-19-2006, 01:53 PM
What sucks about today's game for me is that I have to listen to the Cubs' broadcast on the way home from work today. Some reason my radio will not tune to 670AM.

Your car wont allow anything Mike North related to infest its system... Kinda like the "V" chip

thepaulbowski
05-19-2006, 01:56 PM
game 1? Try all the games... I think I was at the last night game in this series. back late 90's Wison Alverez vs. Mulholland. Sox won 1-0.

Carlos Lee hit the grand slam to win the game on Friday night in 2000 (IIRC.)

The Wall
05-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Well, I for one, signed up for Sox Pride so I can listen to day games at work using the MLB Audio. Now I would have to sit through Ed Farmer and Chris Singleton doing the talking instead of John Rooney's PBP till last year.

Lets see...I'm going to listen with an open mind and not be biased with all the thigns I've read about the duo.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Your car wont allow anything Mike North related to infest its system... Kinda like the "V" chip

:kneeslap:
Smart Car.

Uncle_Patrick
05-19-2006, 02:12 PM

:rolleyes:

If the Sox brass really subscribed to your theory, why aren't there a lot more day games during the week?

The reason that these games are played during the day is an attempt to curb some of the drinking and fighting that seems inevitable with this series, plain and simple.

longshot7
05-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey Longshot a :dtroll: has been logging in under your account and making an ass out of himself. Or get yourself some of that tinfoil Hangar likes wearing.

Nice.

I'm a troll because I don't like having weekday day games? Because I have to work, like no doubt, many others? Because I'm upset I can't watch the game, one of the most important games of the year so far? Because I don't understand the STUPID reasons about it better to have more drunks during rush hour than at night? Because I've been wrong all these years about the Sox having a more blue collar fanbase than the Cubs (that's sarcasm)?

I'm a troll because I'm mad I can't watch the game? That is crap.

Patrick: Look at the schedule. There are WAY too many day games, a distinct difference from the number of day games even 5 years ago. Example off the top of my head: games 2 & 3 against the Indians at the start of the season. Those should have been night games. Why weren't they? I think you know the answer............

CLR01
05-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Nice.

I'm a troll because I don't like having weekday day games? Because I have to work, like no doubt, many others? Because I'm upset I can't watch the game, one of the most important games of the year so far? Because I don't understand the STUPID reasons about it better to have more drunks during rush hour than at night? Because I've been wrong all these years about the Sox having a more blue collar fanbase than the Cubs (that's sarcasm)?

Patrick: Look at the schedule. There are WAY too many day games, a distinct difference from the number of day games even 5 years ago. Example off the top of my head: games 2 & 3 against the Indians at the start of the season. Those should have been night games. Why weren't they? I think you know the answer............

Ofcourse, the answer is JR and KW want to make the Sox a clone of the Loveable Loser Cubs. :rolleyes:

Sorry these three games are not the most important of the season so far. It's just another 3 game series. The series against Detroit and the Tribe are far more important.

voodoochile
05-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Nice.

April games are traditionally played much more often during the day because of the weather discrepancy from afternoon to evening hours.

areilly
05-19-2006, 02:44 PM
They're scheduled in the day to cut down on the post-game "fireworks" between fans of the rival teams, plain and simple.

D. TODD
05-19-2006, 02:45 PM
I enjoy night games better, but for these Scrub/Sox games, having night games are just asking for trouble. Especially Friday night games. I was at the C. Lee walk off grand slam game and it was painfully obvious that many people at the game spent most of their pre-game at their favorite watering holes. It made for a terrible group of fans at the park, just alot of talking **** and numerous fisticuffs throughout the game. No conspiracy to cater to Cub day games just good common sense as to why they try to avoid Friday night at the fights

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Nice.

I don't think you're a troll. If this was a night game I'd have gone.

Jjav829
05-19-2006, 02:49 PM
We get one of these threads every year.

It's one game. It's going to be replayed on Comcast at 7 p.m. tonight. Avoid anything that will tell you what is going on until then. If you can't do that, then follow along online and you can actually see what happened tonight.

rdwj
05-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Nice.

I'm a troll because I don't like having weekday day games? ...I

There are WAY too many day games, a distinct difference from the number of day games even 5 years ago. Example off the top of my head: games 2 & 3 against the Indians at the start of the season. Those should have been night games. Why weren't they? I think you know the answer............

Not a troll, just a little...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c8/Goofy.gif/180px-Goofy.gif

Tekijawa
05-19-2006, 03:01 PM

Where can you buy one of these cars?

minutia
05-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Nice.

This is soooo not the most important game of the year, certainly one of the more popular games but not the most important. They will be playing all weekend. Too bad you can't listen to the game. If you signed up as a Sox Pride Club member the cost was only like $9.00 for the whole season.

Iwritecode
05-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Nice.

I'm looking at the schedule and there really aren't that many day games. Most of them are on the weekends and the few that are during the week are "getaway" days because one of the teams has to travel that night.

The only one that really sticks out is a 3:05 start against Baltimore but that's because it's the 4th of July.

Three other obvious ones are the 2nd and 3rd games of the season (probably weather-related like Voodoo said) and of course today's game.

I'm willing to bet they've had a similair number of day games the past few years.

daveeym
05-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Nice.

Patrick: Look at the schedule. There are WAY too many day games, a distinct difference from the number of day games even 5 years ago. Example off the top of my head: games 2 & 3 against the Indians at the start of the season. Those should have been night games. Why weren't they? I think you know the answer............ Take your pick of what you want to be: The troll, the tinfoil hat guy, or goofy (that someone else posted). You'd be the troll for your irrational attack on the organization, tinfoil hatted for the conspiracy theory that they're trying to cub up the sox, and goofy if you're still this mad about it and can't understand what 20 people in this thread have tried to explain to you. Get out of lala land and you'll probably be much happier as a Sox fan.

WhteSox725
05-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Where can you buy one of these cars?

I dunno. I can set the radio to 570 and hit the channel up button and it will go all the way to 720 and not stop anywhere in between. Once on 720 I can then hit button down and it bypasses 670 again and I'll wind up around 570 or so. It's the weirdest thing.

As an aside being forced to listen to Pat and Ron on Cubs radio I was treated to a discussion of why people like to drink hot stuff, particularly hot water. Very exciting radio.

nut_stock
05-19-2006, 06:50 PM

I not sure when Lee hit the slam but it wasn't 2000 maybe 2001. I still vividly remember that Friday night game in 2000 since it was the last Cubs-Sox series I've been too. Ray Durham hit the game winning hit in the bottom of the 14th to score Herbert Perry...The Milk Man!

chisoxmike
05-20-2006, 12:10 AM

It was in 2001.

Ozzie said at SoxFest this year the reason why these games arn't at night anymore is because "you people like to drink too much."

TDog
05-20-2006, 01:51 AM
It was in 2001.

Ozzie said at SoxFest this year the reason why these games arn't at night anymore is because "you people like to drink too much."

Ozzie gets to the point.

June 8, 2001, was the Carlos Lee slam game. and it was a night contest. David Wells lasted four hitters as the Sox starter. Jason Bere couldn't hold the lead for the Cubs. Bob Howry pitched two scoreless innings for the Sox. Jon Garland retired both hitters he faced in relief. Paul Konerko hit seventh in the starting lineup that night, between Jeff Liefer and Sandy Alomar Jr. The Sox were trying to repeat as division champs, after all.

As close as I can tell, that was the last South Side night game in the series. A Sunday night game was played at Wrigley Field in 2004. It ended with a Damaso Marte bases-loaded walk. Several games I got to listen to on the radio that summer ended with bases-loaded walks with the Sox on the road.

The 2002 Friday game on the South Side was an afternoon 13-9 win, the one where Konerko (batting fifth that day) hit two home runs after Kerry Wood plunked him with an 8-0 lead.

The 14-inning night-game win was part of that 2000 division title run.

hawkjt
05-20-2006, 11:59 AM
I guess I am just wondering if chicago is really that much worse than NY and LA and SF in this regard?

Chicago is the only town that plays in the afternoon on Friday. Are New Yorkers more civil than Chicagoans? Maybe so.

It is ok with me playing in the afternoon but to be singled out as the most violent and drunken group of fans in the nation in this manner is surprising.

I always thought the east coast fans were the most obnoxious but I guess chicago now lays claim to to that dubious honor.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-20-2006, 12:10 PM

that's what i've been saying ever since i signed up here! :D: