PDA

View Full Version : Valentin to drop down in order?

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 06:53 PM
whitesox.com story on Lofton (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020201_lofton_ news&team_id=cws)

"We became a better team today," said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. "Adding Kenny gives us a veteran center fielder who has spent his career igniting offenses by getting on base, putting pressure on the defense and creating energy and excitement on the base paths.

"Kenny allows us to potentially move Ray Durham to the No. 2 spot in the order and drop Jose Valentin deeper into our lineup, strengthening our order," Williams said.

FarWestChicago
02-01-2002, 06:56 PM
:manos

If they want to put The Fire Hydrant in my spot, I'll move. I moved for Buddy Lee without complaining.

czalgosz
02-01-2002, 07:04 PM
I actually would like Valentin batting 6th in the lineup. He would get a lot more RBIs, he would break up all those righty bats, and would be great to have in the lineup for Lee to bat in. And Durham makes for a much better #2 hitter than a leadoff man, especially now that he thinks he's a power hitter.

I guess here's your Opening Day lineup -

1. Lofton - CF
2. Durham - 2B
3. Thomas - DH
4. Ordonez - RF
5. Konerko - 1B
6. Valentin - 3B
7. Lee - LF
8. Alomar - C
9. Clayton - SS

This lineup has the potential to do some damage, but also could suck. I don't know, seems like KW is tossing the dice again.

cornball
02-01-2002, 07:06 PM
It makes sense to me, moving him down in the order. Now if we can only get a starter....

FarWestChicago
02-01-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I actually would like Valentin batting 6th in the lineup. He would get a lot more RBIs, he would break up all those righty batsManos would be nice in the middle of all the righties.

cornball
02-01-2002, 07:22 PM
I think given the limitations KW is working under he is doing a great job. I know all the deals dont work out but he is sure trying.

This deal has given him the ability to possibly trade Lee ....and you have Rowland to back him up....if Lofton doesnt pan out he has Bourchard.....Hopefully he could trade Clayton to give Crede a chance....he has lots of options now with a back up plan without losing anyone

Now if he could get a quality starter.....

The good news is if you recall Lofton was hurt early last year but recovered in the second half to .283-9-38 after a 237-5-28 first half. I only hope his wheels will hold up for 1 more year.

He wanted a left handed outfielder for the top of the order all along....I truly hope it works!

GO GO SOX

kermittheefrog
02-01-2002, 07:24 PM
That lineup would look a lot better with Crede at third and Jose at short.

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Tell Dan Evans to take Royce off our hands.

CLR01
02-01-2002, 10:10 PM
That lineup would look a lot better with Crede at third and Jose at short. '

And since that wont be happening anytime soon, they should just trade Jose and let crede do his thing. It's Time.

delben91
02-01-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Tell Dan Evans to take Royce off our hands.

:KW

"Maybe if I throw in Borchard with Royce I could get that other Barry guy"

Randar68
02-01-2002, 11:26 PM

Man, you could not be more right!

Hmmm, Royce hitting ~.260, and Buddy Lee at SS, with Valentin making 800 errors at 3rd...or...

Valentin, and his better range and arm at SS with much beter defense at 3rd, with more power potential and someone you are supposedly looking at the future with?

I know my answer

Daver
02-01-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Man, you could not be more right!

Hmmm, Royce hitting ~.260, and Buddy Lee at SS, with Valentin making 800 errors at 3rd...or...

Valentin, and his better range and arm at SS with much beter defense at 3rd, with more power potential and someone you are supposedly looking at the future with?

I know my answer

I agree with you Randar,but I know nothing about baseball,an expert informed on that.

Randar68
02-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by daver

I agree with you Randar,but I know nothing about baseball,an expert informed on that.

The part that's even more confusing is this:

If you are plainning on batting Royce 8th or ninth, where would be the perfect, low pressure place to break in your 'third baseman of the future"

This organization can't decide on what it's trying to do. Now we are trying to win the division, but stand no chance to dethrone the Yankees or whoever comes out of the West with our opening day starting 5. Honestly, is the goal to win divisions and stay ahead of the Cubs news, or is it to win the World Series? If it is, you build for 2 years down the road with the pieces/prospects we have...

duke of dorwood
02-01-2002, 11:49 PM
I'd move Durham down. It's his f/a year, and he's gonna be looking to beef up the home run numbers.

duke of dorwood
02-01-2002, 11:55 PM
:jerry

I just don't like shuffling line-ups. I just might bat him in Singleton's spot and keep everything the same.

:ohno

longshot7
02-02-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by cornball
It makes sense to me, moving him down in the order. Now if we can only get a starter....

didn't you know? Kenny can pitch too!!

It was like this last year, when the Angels had a killer lineup (before Mo got hurt) but had NO pitching. So what did they do? they signed Canseco. The media out here just let them have it. The front page of the LA Times Sports Section read,
"BUT CAN HE PITCH?"

grrr......

voodoochile
02-02-2002, 02:53 AM

Well, what are you going to do... *sigh*...

RichH55
02-02-2002, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Well, what are you going to do... *sigh*...
Play Crede at 3B and Jose at SS? Makes sense to me:) You are losing anything extra but not playing Royce and its not like you have to play him to accentuate him in trade talks....no one wants him, except if desperation comes over Dan Evans hard

FarWestChicago
02-02-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Play Crede at 3B and Jose at SS? Makes sense to me:) You are losing anything extra but not playing Royce and its not like you have to play him to accentuate him in trade talks....no one wants him, except if desperation comes over Dan Evans hard :buddylee

I refuse to do anything but start. I made that very clear last year.